Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
This has been the most irritating week of PVP(AI) So far, because every single stupid rear end in a top hat has Mechanical Heart + Shitloads of evasion and resist while still banning Black Magic. and im wondering why that last thing is still a loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I swapped out my exdeaths for Lasswell and Setzer and it's amazing just how many teams still have multiple/all members vulnerable to petrify. For those who can't be petrified most can be hit with sleep or paralyze and for the rare team loaded with ribbons that's where Amelia x2 comes in to play.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
This is why multiple Ashes own in arena. Heaven's Fury isn't effected by physical evasion, but it doesn't count as black magic either.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Shoenin posted:

This has been the most irritating week of PVP(AI) So far, because every single stupid rear end in a top hat has Mechanical Heart + Shitloads of evasion and resist while still banning Black Magic. and im wondering why that last thing is still a loving thing.

My solution for banned black magic was swapping out Emperor for Ashe :shepspends: Heaven's Fury is really good for arena, hell half the time I can fill up my esper gauge with it and the rest of my party and summon Odin to try and OHKO any survivors on turn 2.

My team is Ling and 2x Orlandu Noctis, Ashe, and T.Terra. Noctis throws Blizzard Flasks with ailment weapons for stops, Ashe and T.Terra chain magic damage abilities, and Ling is a 100% evade pest in every way and AoE heal ailments. I got a second Ashe on the way to replace T.Terra because like ham said Ashe is crazy good for Arena.

My least favorite arena ban is recovery moves: I use Ling to status tank and heal but she can't on those weeks so I have to actually equip my party with ailment resistance stuff.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 30, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Rem with Siphon Delta each turn pretty much disarms the enemy team, Dark Fina and Trance Terra have both black magic and damaging abilities, Ling and Rikku are flexible status infliction and support.

It all really hinges on Rem using Siphon Delta, and even an alpha strike by the enemy team won't prevent her from doing so.

Thanks, Arena damage cap! :v:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yea my arena team of Cecil, Ling, Dark Fina, ExDeath, Ariana Grande is versatile enough that I havent switched any of them out since Ariana joined the team like 5 months ago or whatever. The only downside is that when black magic or dualcast is banned, I have to switch to Holy Light/Dystopia/Boo! and it takes 2-3 turns to kill everyone instead of 1.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I've pretty much got a 95+% arena win rate at this point no matter what the bans are. Trance Terra, Exdeath, and dual cast Ling with ring of the Luci can take down entire team by themselves in a single round. Amelia, Noctis, and Lasswell do the most work when black magic or dual cast is banned. Ashe is good to fill any holes.

I'm pretty confident Ling with Ring of the Luci is the best possible arena unit. AoE rez, status cure, MP restore, status inflict, ridiculous evasion, and it's super easy to get Alterna to 999 damage without much magic investment.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Skyridge posted:

Ashe is good to fill any holes.

Nothing better than filling up these gaping Ashe holes.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

The worst part is that I knew that phrase sounded wrong, but I couldn't exactly put my finger on why.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ever since i switched my current team to ashe x 2, veritas of the earth, ling, and laswell my win rate has been 100% and i just hit repeat. when my third ashe gets maxed out i will swap laswell out which is kind of sad. EV doesnt really do anything but he's kind of a contingency in that his health pool and resists are strong enough that i can hold out and aoe revive with ling if i have to.

i love setting laswell as my arena rep, dual wield laswell with razmatazz can single handedly defeat basically every arena team outside of the very top end.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

rabidsquid posted:

i love setting laswell as my arena rep, dual wield laswell with razmatazz can single handedly defeat basically every arena team outside of the very top end.

Yeah I slap 9S TMR, Razzmatazz and my Bowie Knife on Veritas of the Earth 14x AOE chance at Petrify/Sleep. Between that, Chaos Grenade from Rikku and 9S having a Paralyze/Stop I just mash repeat till I get my five wins.

I'm guessing someday I'll start to run into teams with status protection, but right now I just want my daily lapis so I don't tend to fight anyone competitive.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
5484-48 in Arena currently. Party is 2x Ashe, DF for Retaliate w/Toxic Rain, dodgy but not 100% Noctis with Pod and discernment, and Rem with Siphon Delta and Ribbon.

If I go first, Heaven's Fury x2 + Toxic Rain + R020 Mirage 40 chain kills everything. Every once in a while someone will still be standing, but I also Siphon Delta so there's nothing they can do anyway.

There's not many combinations that cause me to lose, other than the obvious. A bunch of stops land, Rem getting stopped the same turn as the other 3 are hit with status effects, getting Siphon Delta'd (Rem has RotL so there's a chance if she gets hit enough she'll pop enough counters to get enough mana to SD right back, and it'll be a war of attrition), and finally just getting damage steamrolled, which I'm kinda impressed by and don't feel bad about when it happens.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I recently swapped my arena team to 3x Ashe, DV, and setzer/tilith, I'm never going back. I probably win 95-98% of the time, and it never goes past 1rnd (I always pick top of the list).

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Don't know why I'm daily pulling on the second Veritas banner, but oh boy, today's was a rainbow.

Veritas of the Dark

This was a much better outcome than I was expecting. I needed one of him for the Marlboro trial too. Also, no dupe rainbow streak remains intact! :D

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I'm farming up some more TMs, and would love any insights. Looking to my main DPS team to include Orlandeau, DV, and enhanced Luneth. Here's my goal state, I think:

DV to wield Excal and Moonblade, plus DKS and a few 30% materia
O to wield Excal and Moonblade, plus DKS, GS master, and a couple 30%s
Luneth to wield Excal and a katana (Neir one or Genji), plus blade master, DV's TM (60%), and a couple 30%s

My assumption is that both chainers having both elements will enforce an element chain throughout, correct? And that's "good?" And Luneth's Excal will ensure he takes advantage of the imperil? I'm getting foggy on BiS materia, though, since I have one of many but not many duplicates at all.

Or should I go a different route? I also have Aileen and FV I could swap in...

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 31, 2017

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Using mixed elements will cause your element chains to build much faster to cap. You get .1 bonus for a chain, .2 for each element, so your chain damage bonus goes up .5 each hit, like a spark chain.

However, the downside is when your DV procs -100% dark imperil, you're losing out on damage by blending Light/Dark. If you want to maximize damage against that massive -100% dark imperil, you want to run pure dark weapons.

Light/dark is nice for your friends to use your DV though since he can be compatible with Orlandeau and DV.

edit - I think FV is a stronger finisher than Luneth. He packs his own elemental weapon imbue and -100% fire debuff so he's pretty much self-sufficient.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don't forget that the OK banner has a 4* unit (Desch?) that has a +45 ATK accessory, you may want to consider grinding it should you snag one.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Cobalt60 posted:

Team comp stuff

Also, you want your absolute top tier everything on your finisher to maximize that hit. Then build down onto your chainers with what's left over. They're only there to build that chain, maximising the damage while doing so is just a bonus.

I'm actually setting up a similar team using DKC as the finisher and DV + TGC chaining. I only actually need/want 2 dark weapons (for TGC and DV), and the rest non elemental because Soul Cannon does dark damage already, and any element mixing reduces damage overall like the hotdog guy said.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 31, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cobalt60 posted:

I'm farming up some more TMs, and would love any insights. Looking to my main DPS team to include Orlandeau, DV, and enhanced Luneth. Here's my goal state, I think:

DV to wield Excal and Moonblade, plus DKS and a few 30% materia
O to wield Excal and Moonblade, plus DKS, GS master, and a couple 30%s
Luneth to wield Excal and a katana (Neir one or Genji), plus blade master, DV's TM (60%), and a couple 30%s

My assumption is that both chainers having both elements will enforce an element chain throughout, correct? And that's "good?" And Luneth's Excal will ensure he takes advantage of the imperil? I'm getting foggy on BiS materia, though, since I have one of many but not many duplicates at all.

Or should I go a different route? I also have Aileen and FV I could swap in...

Do you not have Chizuru? Blade mastery and a katana is better for Orlandu (and maybe DV) than a sword and after enhancements you absolutely want to go GS/Katana on Orlandu.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sephiroth is the strongest unenhanced chainer in the game. Having the potential for high imperils for both light and dark and chaining with both onions and orlandus clones. Not much utility but very self sustaining.

Silt is a very capable magic tank. Pretty much a different flavor of mistair, the biggest differences being aoe debuff immunity vs AOE status effect immunity

Mediena has access to just about every ja spell, freeze ancient magic and a unique very high scaling ice single target spell. Very little utility compared to sage sakura

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
I pulled a rainbow gilgamesh from the half off daily pull today, I see his TMR is pretty much a must have but should he probably stay in the group even after as a physical dps ?

Right now I have 6* earth and dark veritas , 5* agrias, and 4* Zidane and 210 I was really just keeping for the TMR progress. Not sure who id take out, I want agrias / zidane / 210s TMRs , maybe zidane since genji gloves full that role

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Hi posted:

I pulled a rainbow gilgamesh from the half off daily pull today, I see his TMR is pretty much a must have but should he probably stay in the group even after as a physical dps ?

Right now I have 6* earth and dark veritas , 5* agrias, and 4* Zidane and 210 I was really just keeping for the TMR progress. Not sure who id take out, I want agrias / zidane / 210s TMRs , maybe zidane since genji gloves full that role

Greg is far, far better than Zidane and 21O. He is also better than 5* Agrias. There is no point in keeping people on your team for TMR progress, you will never get them to 100%. Just use the people who kill the things. For perspective, I pulled TGC on his banner in March, I have used him in literally every battle for every story mission, king mog event, raid, and deployment you can possibly use him for and he's only at like 23%.

If you want to TMR the only realistic way to do it is to set up an emulator like Memu or Nox, and get a script that will run the Earth Shrine - Entrance for you over and over again while you're sleeping.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 31, 2017

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
What about the expeditions ?

I have an S rank one for a trust moggle it wont let me even attempt ?

Im assuming its because ive been playing for a week and have like zero percent chance of success but is there something else?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Hi posted:

What about the expeditions ?

I have an S rank one for a trust moggle it wont let me even attempt ?

Im assuming its because ive been playing for a week and have like zero percent chance of success but is there something else?

The S Ranks require a specific story character to be part of the expedition. I'd guess the expedition you got requires one you don't have so it won't let you try it.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Do you not have Chizuru? Blade mastery and a katana is better for Orlandu (and maybe DV) than a sword and after enhancements you absolutely want to go GS/Katana on Orlandu.

Enhancements give him the bonus for katana, GS and sword. We have terrible options for atk heavy armor, but tbh the extra 10% atk you get from an EV TM beats out everything short of the brave suit, even if you just throw on something like mithril armor.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Well, finally broke down and got the gold chest of abundance since I refuse to spend the normal amounts Gumi wants for lapis, and I got enough EX points for a 3* ticket. Figured I might as well, since they're non-banner pulls, and I can still use the 4* ticket from the bundle to try for a Veritas of the Heavens for his TMR. I burned the 3* ticket, and down comes a gold crystal. Boom. VoH.

Sometimes you can be kinda cool, game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cartoon Man posted:

Don't forget that the OK banner has a 4* unit (Desch?) that has a +45 ATK accessory, you may want to consider grinding it should you snag one.

Just keep in mind that Desch is basically the Gaffgarion of this banner. He's bad but has a real good TMR.

As for the others: Sara is the typical 3->5* non-entity, but Aria has an AoE Full Life and a full-heal + barwaterga LB if you don't mind having a healer without Dualcast. I'd put her on par with Refia or maybe a little ahead since she has less of a burning need for dualcast (given most of her good poo poo is abilities anyway). Not quite Tilith or Ayaka tier, but competent if you desperately need a healer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Got all setup for Calixte and then promptly obliterated them because Orlandu/VoF/9S are murder buddies.

I'm still leaning towards sending VoF to the bench and bringing back Olive. Olive is 1100atk with sparky while VoF is only 534atk with Fixed Dice. Olive's LB is also more damage (as long as all hits land during the max chain) and while Fixed Dice can be nice, the randomness seems like something that could be more hassle than it's worth.

I could also give Sparky to VoF and see how that works out.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 31, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Got all setup for Calixte and then promptly obliterated them because Orlandu/VoF/9S are murder buddies.

I'm still leaning towards sending VoF to the bench and bringing back Olive. Olive is 1100atk with sparky while VoF is only 534atk with Fixed Dice. Olive's LB is also more damage (as long as all hits land during the max chain) and while Fixed Dice can be nice, the randomness seems like something that could be more hassle than it's worth.

I could also give Sparky to VoF and see how that works out.

Calixte has inherent Lightning resist, which could cause problems with Sparky.

Honestly, if you can't knock the bugmech out in one turn, it's much safer to chip away at it than to nuke it with chain meta.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
In my experience, if full charge stomp procs enough then FoV with FD just obliterates, otherwise he's meh to ok. Like, my single biggest round in the Nier raid I did almost 13 million in one turn with 2 Landus doing about 5 million of that total. It could've been higher if I had an imperil/weapon imbue up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Calixte has inherent Lightning resist, which could cause problems with Sparky.

Honestly, if you can't knock the bugmech out in one turn, it's much safer to chip away at it than to nuke it with chain meta.

I kill it with just my Orlandu chain (and 9S's LB since it's max level). I'm saying more as a general thing I'm not seeing how VoF+Fixed Dice is supposed to be an amazing finisher setup.

hamsystem posted:

In my experience, if full charge stomp procs enough then FoV with FD just obliterates, otherwise he's meh to ok. Like, my single biggest round in the Nier raid I did almost 13 million in one turn with 2 Landus doing about 5 million of that total. It could've been higher if I had an imperil/weapon imbue up.

This makes sense, which is a shame since it's even more RNG to deal with beyond Fixed Dice's range.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
FD builds are just ok right now and usually a wash against DW builds. It's when we get TDH that it really starts to shine.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
The other thing about FV is that he brings pretty good utility with his 80% ATK/MAG and 20% DR buffs.

Chasiu
Dec 30, 2007
Just noticed that the Standard Summon's multi-summon button uses 10k Friend Points now instead of 2k. Now if only I could sell/smoosh them all at same time...

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
So here's something funny. I was playing the last battle on my ipad when it died because I had been playing for hours by this point. I switched to my phone because I was going to the bathroom and found that strangely I had a different friend unit than I had chosen. I came out of the bathroom, plugged in my ipad, waited a few minutes and restarted FFBE. My original friend unit was there. Ok... So I force quit, and loaded it up on my pc, and guess what? It put another random user from my friend list into my party.

Also this last battle is hard. drat constant dispels.

Chasiu
Dec 30, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

So here's something funny. I was playing the last battle on my ipad when it died because I had been playing for hours by this point. I switched to my phone because I was going to the bathroom and found that strangely I had a different friend unit than I had chosen. I came out of the bathroom, plugged in my ipad, waited a few minutes and restarted FFBE. My original friend unit was there. Ok... So I force quit, and loaded it up on my pc, and guess what? It put another random user from my friend list into my party.

That happened to me a few weeks back when testing out the 2B bug over and over again, switching between 3 devices. I don't think it's a random user, seemed more like the last Companion unit selected from that particular device. Every time I forced close from one device and started the game/mission up on another, I would consistently get the same companions depending on which phone/PC/tablet I was using.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Chasiu posted:

That happened to me a few weeks back when testing out the 2B bug over and over again, switching between 3 devices. I don't think it's a random user, seemed more like the last Companion unit selected from that particular device. Every time I forced close from one device and started the game/mission up on another, I would consistently get the same companions depending on which phone/PC/tablet I was using.

Ahh, that's actually good to know.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

The funny thing is this bug, or one extremely similar to it, was happening in Brave Frontier recently only when it put a different random unit in your friend slot it would often put that friend's Summoner Unit in and Global hasn't unlocked the ability to use the Summoner Unit outside of their story arc yet.

Though few, if any, players have a Summoner leveled up enough to be as useful as omni (basically 8* rarity) unit so the bug wasn't a good thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Behemoth is kicking my rear end. I think there's a reprisal attack or threshold attack or something I'm not aware of... help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Behemoth is kicking my rear end. I think there's a reprisal attack or threshold attack or something I'm not aware of... help?
I'm not exactly sure about this but it seemed to me like.
Above ~50% it has a One Hit insta kill attack.
Below 50% it has an AOE that's super strong. Make sure it's been debuffed because it will howl on the first turn and give itself an ATK boost. I don't think it dispels you like the rear end in a top hat at the end, so you can buff yourself with DEF and damage reduction(from 9S TMR for example).

At some point, I think after turn 6 it will take a rest and not attack for a turn.

• Locked thread