Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Michael Scott posted:

I've owned like 4 cars and never seen it mentioned. What does that mean, lubricating seals etc.? Or do you mean inspecting struts and rubber bushings? I wasn't counting inspections.

struts are not part of the drivetrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
e/n:
A few weeks ago the engine in our 2015 Hyundai Sonata ate itself at 45k. Not sure the cause, Hyundai doesn't pay dealers to tear the engine down, just take pictures of metal in the pan. Engine replaced under warranty, we got it back Friday. This morning (Tuesday), my wife is driving my daughter to daycare and the engine catches on fire near the intake manifold. Thankfully (or not) one of the other parents was there, opened the hood and saw the small fire and got it out with an extinguisher.

So basically we're not real confident in this car at this point, which is unfortunate because it's paid for and we should be enjoying years of low-maintenance costs with it.

Enter: Honda
Looks like we'll likely try to be trading this shitheap in when we can, does anyone have any opinion on the 1.5l turbo in the Civic EX-T or CRV EX? We're not sure what we're looking for other than something with decent MPG. I've briefly considered a prius, but drat the new ones are so ugly. Looking for established reliability at this point and that has me thinking of a boring honda or toyota driving applicance.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Corolla, Corolla iM, or Mazda 3 as well.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

e/n:
A few weeks ago the engine in our 2015 Hyundai Sonata ate itself at 45k. Not sure the cause, Hyundai doesn't pay dealers to tear the engine down, just take pictures of metal in the pan. Engine replaced under warranty, we got it back Friday. This morning (Tuesday), my wife is driving my daughter to daycare and the engine catches on fire near the intake manifold. Thankfully (or not) one of the other parents was there, opened the hood and saw the small fire and got it out with an extinguisher.

So basically we're not real confident in this car at this point, which is unfortunate because it's paid for and we should be enjoying years of low-maintenance costs with it.

Looks like we'll likely try to be trading this shitheap in when we can, does anyone have any opinion on the 1.5l turbo in the Civic EX-T or CRV EX? We're not sure what we're looking for other than something with decent MPG. I've briefly considered a prius, but drat the new ones are so ugly. Looking for established reliability at this point and that has me thinking of a boring honda or toyota driving applicance.

Have you taken a look at the Chevy Malibu? I test drove one recently and it was comfortable and quick with the top end engine. I like the interior a lot and ventilated seats are great. If you can get over the ugly front end I think it's a great car.

Not to mention sedans are dead so you can get a top of the line premiere with all the fixins for like 28k

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Have you taken a look at the Chevy Malibu? I test drove one recently and it was comfortable and quick with the top end engine. I like the interior a lot and ventilated seats are great. If you can get over the ugly front end I think it's a great car.

Not to mention sedans are dead so you can get a top of the line premiere with all the fixins for like 28k

The Malibu and Impala need new names. I know they have a "history" but for most people these days that "history" begins and ends at "rental queen", regardless of how good they are.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The Malibu and Impala need new names. I know they have a "history" but for most people these days that "history" begins and ends at "rental queen", regardless of how good they are.

But if they keep it going for another 47 years AND convert it back into a convertible with bench seats then futuristic techno-rappers can rap about their '64 Impala again!

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Totally agreed. Until the most recent generation the Malibu has lagged behind its peers, and everyone knows it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's great that they had to purge Cadillac of all its historical names and couldn't be bothered to give Chevelle or Caprice to the Holden Commodore, a large premium RWD performance sedan, but by golly Malibu and Impala must go on!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"Malibu" says to me "Teenage girl barfs up overpriced mixed drinks with stupid names while her friend holds her hair back from the toilet bowl".

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

To me, "Malibu" simply means "boring rear end rental car with a rear end vaguely similar to a Chevy SS." Impala is "bigger rental car that's also more boring."

Human Grand Prix posted:

It is? All of my cars owners manuals mention it and they are 2wd Manual cars.

Keep in mind that most non-car people don't read the owner's manual, just as you probably wouldn't read the owner's manual for a refrigerator.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I miss the Malibu Maxx with the V6

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

PCOS Bill posted:

I miss the Malibu Maxx with the V6

In retrospect it's amazing just how far ahead of it's time this car was.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

Looks like we'll likely try to be trading this shitheap in when we can, does anyone have any opinion on the 1.5l turbo in the Civic EX-T or CRV EX?
My sister has a new Civic sedan with the 1.5L turbo and the CVT. It's a great combination. Nice and smooth around the city and quiet on the highway with great pickup.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

That's true but anything that avoids more alphabet number soup I'm okay with.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

That's true but anything that avoids more alphabet number soup I'm okay with.

Hell, give them almost any of the old names. Steal good names from other dead GM brands, they're not coming back anyway. Maybe come up with something new that doesn't sound like a post code.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
But a Malibu is just a nicely appointed Chevelle :confused:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

It's great that they had to purge Cadillac of all its historical names and couldn't be bothered to give Chevelle or Caprice to the Holden Commodore, a large premium RWD performance sedan, but by golly Malibu and Impala must go on!

They gave caprice to the commodore just the fleet only cop car in an extremely predictable GM move.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

e/n:

The engine is too new for anyone to have an opinion on it other than it's pretty torquey and good on gas. The civic is a pretty decent drive, better than the Sonata imo so not sure why you think it's boring.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Get the civic hatch type-r

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hell, give them almost any of the old names. Steal good names from other dead GM brands, they're not coming back anyway. Maybe come up with something new that doesn't sound like a post code.

Corsica and Lumina, clearly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chevette and Vega.

gently caress, Dodge brought back the Dart

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

e/n:

Looks like a basic cable rubbed and short fire. They hosed up reinstalling stuff. Car is probably fine but I'd raise hell about MY CHILDREN.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
New Cruze should have been hatch-only and called the Monza. Throw a turbo on it and call it the Spyder package.

Turbo the Malibu and call it the Chevelle.

Rename the Impala the Biscayne and reserve the Impala badge for a top-tier V8 package. They built the LS4, they can do something with the new LT.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If Chevy canned the Cruze name and switched to Zodiak I think I'd buy one just to show support for GM.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't know why they didn't try out Nomad on a small SUV.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't know why they didn't try out Nomad on a small SUV.

Didn't that go to the off-road Ariel Atom variant?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dreesemonkey posted:

e/n:

My wife has had a CR-V EX (FWD) for a couple months now. The 1.5T is a sweet little engine. Gets out of its own way and is decent on gas. She's averaging a little over 29 MPG combined with a 25 minute highway commute. The CVT is the best CVT I've ever dealt with, and that's high praise coming from someone who loving hates CVTs.

The touchscreen is slow-ish and attracts dust like it was designed for it. That's literally our biggest complaint with the vehicle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

davebo posted:

Didn't that go to the off-road Ariel Atom variant?

It did, but that's a relatively recent development. GM had a Chevrolet Nomad concept in 2004 so I'm sure they still had rights to the name at that point.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It did, but that's a relatively recent development. GM had a Chevrolet Nomad concept in 2004 so I'm sure they still had rights to the name at that point.

Yeah, it's an old Chevy model name. The Nomad was a station wagon back in the 50s and 60s.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Two door wagons always struck me as really weird. I saw a VW Fox wagon recently and it made no sense to me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Not so keen on the arches on this one, but the 2-door version of Tourings often look pretty nice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Midniter posted:

My wife has had a CR-V EX (FWD) for a couple months now. The 1.5T is a sweet little engine. Gets out of its own way and is decent on gas. She's averaging a little over 29 MPG combined with a 25 minute highway commute. The CVT is the best CVT I've ever dealt with, and that's high praise coming from someone who loving hates CVTs.

I haven't driven the latest CVTs, but I did get a taste of the Honda CVT when I had a rental '14 Accord. They really did a hell of a job on it, and it does a lot for how the car is to drive. My '13 CR-V with the five speed has a few spots where it won't kick down all the way to first or second, but third leaves it it on the edge of lugging the engine. The '14 Accord would get right to the meat of the power band every time.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

InitialDave posted:

Not so keen on the arches on this one, but the 2-door version of Tourings often look pretty nice.

Is that a common model there? I don't think I've ever seen one before (on the internet). That'd be a neat 25yr import.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Human Grand Prix posted:

Two door wagons always struck me as really weird. I saw a VW Fox wagon recently and it made no sense to me.

It's a relic from the time when having only two doors meant having two doors less that will rust like mad, since before zinc steel the doors were the main entry point for rust besides the underside.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Human Grand Prix posted:

Corolla, Corolla iM, or Mazda 3 as well.

Have a 17 Corolla loaner now, it's alright I guess. I don't think I'd go out and pay money for it. Definitely smaller than what we're used to, but I'm trying to sell my wife on the idea of a small car again. We have a Mazda CX-9 if we need to move some crap around.

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I'm unconvinced on Chevy's longterm reliability. Just some anecdotal friends who have a sub-50k mile ('14?) Malibu that have had quite a few problems with it. I don't really like the styling, the interiors are still somewhat so-so. They might not catch on fire, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The engine is too new for anyone to have an opinion on it other than it's pretty torquey and good on gas. The civic is a pretty decent drive, better than the Sonata imo so not sure why you think it's boring.
Well, when I said boring, I meant in terms of "hey buy the type r" or "get a focus st" or something along those lines. Now, the Civic Si, I could maybe convince the wife on that one. Our dealer doesn't have one yet. We had an '01 civic LX that we loved, it was anemic as hell but it was small, light, and 5spd. The only reason we sold it is that with our second kid on the way, we couldn't fit a rear-facing carseat behind the driver or passenger seats. But now, they're both front facing :getin:

Mr. Apollo posted:

My sister has a new Civic sedan with the 1.5L turbo and the CVT. It's a great combination. Nice and smooth around the city and quiet on the highway with great pickup.

The Midniter posted:

The touchscreen is slow-ish and attracts dust like it was designed for it. That's literally our biggest complaint with the vehicle.

Thanks, we'll have to go and look at some when we get our shitbox back from the dealer. I, too, thought I hated CVTs, and I don't love the one in the Corolla loaner we have, but living in a rural area with plenty of twists and turns and hills, the Sonata geared transmission sucks really bad at picking gears. A CVT would suck less I guess. Aside from the engine antics, the transmission is the only major complaint I have about our sonata.

Christobevii3 posted:

Looks like a basic cable rubbed and short fire. They hosed up reinstalling stuff. Car is probably fine but I'd raise hell about MY CHILDREN.

You could be right, I'm sure something was hosed up. But the intake manifold shouldn't be getting that hot, should it? I dunno, whatever. I'm not at raise-hell levels yet but yea - MY SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Is that a common model there? I don't think I've ever seen one before (on the internet). That'd be a neat 25yr import.
No, they're basically a custom special using 2 door and touring bits. BMW did build a couple of 2 door tourings, but never went anywhere with it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Human Grand Prix posted:

Isn't that a shooting brake or panel van?
Obviously the aussie domestics and ford escort went with panel vans (higher roof), and the mini went with van doors, but the GM isuzu holden gemini (E: AKA chevette) is another that comes to mind.
2e: ford escort had a 3dr wagon as well as the van version.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 1, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah stuff like this wasn't exactly a rarity in the UK. There's still loads about and people like Fiat make their Doblo car into a little van too (which has NO WEIGHT over the rear wheels meaning you can swang that poo poo about scarily easy).

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Aside from being slow, the Mazda 3 is very engaging to drive, but I hear Honda has outdone themselves with the new Civic. I'd drive both and see what you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Wrar posted:

Aside from being slow, the Mazda 3 is very engaging to drive, but I hear Honda has outdone themselves with the new Civic. I'd drive both and see what you like.

Just for your reference, the 2017 Civic 1.5T with the CVT has the same or slightly better performance than the outgoing SI model.
It's a very good car for the money

Edit: My friend tells me that a lot of the issues with the 2.0TFSI engine have been fixed with the Mk7 GTI so I'm looking at getting one. Can I trust that I'll finally be able to drive one for many miles and years or will I be horribly let down and wishing I got the Civic?

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 1, 2017