Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Here's how I build Reikland "tall".

Altdorf: Port, Temple of Sigmar, Artillery Building, Cavalry Building, School of Magic
Grunberg: Walls, Cavalry Recruitment Bonus Thing, +Growth Building (the one with the cow icon) or the money building
Helmgart: Walls, Reiksguard Fort, Barracks
Eilhart: Walls, Armory, initially a growth building, once you're done replace with the money building

Now I can recruit everything from one province. This should all be doable within the first 60-70 turns or so too. It's expensive but cash isn't a problem if you're aggressive. Take Marienburg, go to war with Middenland and sack their poo poo, sack the Bret settlements across your border, sack the Crooked Moon settlements, murder any orcs or beastmen that come into your territory. Go to war with the Vampires and Von Carsteins, if you wipe out an army or two you can usually offer peace and demand a huge amount of money from them, and they'll typically accept. With a limited amount of territory you can be aggressive without having a ton of armies as well, I usually have a full stack that goes around terrorizing neighbors (this one needs to have lightning strike for sure) and one with 12-15 units that moves around to supplement garrisons when anyone attacks me.

All other conquered territory should be walls + stuff that gives you money, unless there's a special building you want. Knights of the Blazing Sun chapterhouse in Talabecland, Knights Panther house and the temple of Ulric in Middenland, Cannon Foundry in Nuln, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Temple is kind of refundant next to Middenland and so far from vanps. I'd rather build a tavern or even have the constant recruiting deal with public order. You also don't have an armory, and there isnt much point to having both a rieksfort and cav chain.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
That's very similar to what I do, except I tend not to make any cavalry buildings in Reikland except for a Reiksfort. Instead the cavalry buildings go in Middenland or Talabecland and I put up a few more money buildings in Reikland. I usually just build Reiksguard in the early game and rank them up the hard way slaughtering early game trash.

Temple is an edge case since it's next to Middenland, but it also unlocks tech and earlier useful Warrior Priests. The replenishment bonus only cost 4 skill points, so the temple and pope man's recruitment bonuses for warrior priests let them do that straight away.

Also I feel that Marienburg is ever so slightly overrated since Wissenland is a very good economic province too, although I was kinda railroaded into that decision one time when Bretonnia took Marienburg before I could.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is putting your arty production in Wissenland a good idea? Arty seems to get significantly more accurate with XP but maybe thats just placebo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Missile units do get much more effective with veterancy. Try it in custom battle and you'll see.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
XP is very good for artillery since it increases accuracy and reload speed. but the Nuln gunnery school provides a bonus to recruitment in all provinces so arty production doesn't have to be in Wissenland.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Wissenland and Marienburg are annexed because gently caress not having the temple and the arty school. Experience provides the best mileage for artillery, so golden chevron mortars are incredibly good and holy poo poo the great cannons can snipe giants at that level :buddy:

(Plus Boris as Reiksmarshal is decent enough compensation for his troubles I suppose)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How do you guys get lightning strike so soon. Ive played entire campaigns and still struggle to reach tbat far into the tech tree

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Baron Porkface posted:

Temple is kind of refundant next to Middenland and so far from vanps. I'd rather build a tavern or even have the constant recruiting deal with public order. You also don't have an armory, and there isnt much point to having both a rieksfort and cav chain.

Getting an early supply of delicious agents is important, too. At least the witch hunter.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-system-specs/

System specs have been released. That's, uh, that's some install size they've got there. Small SSDs beware.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

60gb?! Jesus. Figure that that number will only go up as they add to the game, and then because of their silly patch methods you will then need double that amount of free space just to patch the game. :psyduck:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Delacroix posted:

Some of the extremely large GCC maps have a navmesh in places that's only one unit wide, a group of 5-6 units will be forced into a narrow column despite the visual terrain being significantly wider. The bretonnia maps look very nice though, the city architecture is inspired by the same real life locations and castles that the Witcher 3 imitates for the city of Beauclair.

One gripe I have about the customized maps is that there are areas that seem like you could walk there but they are impassible. For instance, on one dwarf settlement there was a flat stone ledge that looked perfect for perching a few units of quarrelers on top of, and it jutted out of a low hill giving no indication that you couldn't stand on it, but I guess it is just decoration because every time I tried to click on the ledge my quarrelers just kept trying to march around it.

I haven't seen all the newer maps yet but I remember previously many of them seemed really unfair for ranged units and artillery. They'd be so riddled with bits and bobs you'd never get good line of sight which also meant it was really difficult to see enemies (I guess this would be intentional for some factions). On some of them, the 'high ground' was so high up it was actually difficult to get a good angle on shooting enemies since many projectiles would eventually plop straight down simply due to the elevation difference.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think i can barely squeeze that in my SSD and leave enough open for patching.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Baron Porkface posted:

The temple is more about recruitment/unlocking technologies, and because there's nothing better to build unless you want the trade resource one I guess. When you're not expanding, the Vamps tend to become your neighbors pretty quickly too. Tavern is pointless in Reikland because you shouldn't have public order problems there, and even if you do, killing rebels is free money and xp. Again, this is if I'm building Reikland tall and not expanding a ton, so armory is necessary for recruiting units/unlocking useful technologies. I get a Reiksfort in a small settlement because I feel like it, and because it adds to the garrison. I get a cav building in Altdorf because I feel like it, it unlocks more tech for your cav, and because there's nothing better to build.

Income isn't very important because your main stack should be sacking everything around you and extorting people for peace treaties. As long as you're not in the red on upkeep, you should be fine.

Jastiger posted:

How do you guys get lightning strike so soon. Ive played entire campaigns and still struggle to reach tbat far into the tech tree

Assuming you don't have a mod that gives you extra skill points, you can get it by level 8 (I think) with most factions. It's worth it to me because that lord can then take down enemy forces piecemeal, which will help you level up a lot faster.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Jastiger posted:

If you want a quick way to get money/levels force a lot of revolts or sack an enemy city over and over.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dtkozl posted:

If you want a quick way to get money/levels force a lot of revolts or sack an enemy city over and over.

This. Or get a mod that gives you more than 1 skillpoint a level.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GenericServices posted:

System specs have been released. That's, uh, that's some install size they've got there. Small SSDs beware.
Jesus. On my 500gb SSD I think I can basically keep this, XCOM2, Overwatch, and maybe one more thing going. Goddamn.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Have they said that you'll need TWW 1 installed for the combined map? Or do you just need to own it?

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
The problem with lightning strike for someone like Franz is that you have you have to dump points into those useless left-side blue skills first. I wasn't a huge fan of SFO when I tried it but one of the great things it did was make those skills feel a bit less like a total waste of points.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Have they said that you'll need TWW 1 installed for the combined map? Or do you just need to own it?
I believe its just owned, thankfully, because of the aforementioned size of everything.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

According to a post from a CA PR-dude, you just need to own TW:W1.
That might be the reason for the 60gig installsize, TW:W2 might have all necessary TW:W1 assets packaged with it to facilitate multiplayer with the TW:W1 races and playing the combined map DLC.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

The problem with lightning strike for someone like Franz is that you have you have to dump points into those useless left-side blue skills first. I wasn't a huge fan of SFO when I tried it but one of the great things it did was make those skills feel a bit less like a total waste of points.

Reduced corruption or boosted public order are both useful when you're playing the way I described because vampire factions become your neighbors more often than not, and because you're ignoring public order buildings. It is annoying to have to sink points into it though. Something like a +replenishment stat would be a lot more useful and make the tree more worthwhile early on imo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Raygereio posted:

That might be the reason for the 60gig installsize, TW:W2 might have all necessary TW:W1 assets packaged with it to facilitate multiplayer with the TW:W1 races and playing the combined map DLC.

Looking forward to a 100 gig Warhams 3

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 31, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raygereio posted:

According to a post from a CA PR-dude, you just need to own TW:W1.

And every TW1 race is on the TW2 map.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StashAugustine posted:

Is putting your arty production in Wissenland a good idea? Arty seems to get significantly more accurate with XP but maybe thats just placebo

The Nuln Gunnery School bonuses for artillery are factionwide - you don't need the artillery production in the same province, so it works best to make Reikland your artillery centre since it'll be your most-developed province anyway.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Man Azhag's first quest battle is a massive pain in the rear end. Maybe I shouldn't have specced him to be my backup chaff lord

e: actually looking at his new LL tree, he gets some pretty decent buffs to savage orcs

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 31, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
All things Total War are on sale for the weekend on Steam.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

All things Total War are on sale for the weekend on Steam.

Except Norsca.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Guess im just going to buy a separate SSD and literally only put Warhammer 2 on it. I assume the way they patch will continue to be loving retarded.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

GenericServices posted:

For comparison's sake:

Total War: Warhammer

Total War: Warhammer 2

Recommended requirements are the same as the first game. Minimum requirements increased a bit. Storage required dramatically increased.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Apparently units in siege towers ignore unit collision until they pile out of the thing. This means that any skills or abilities that have an AoE effect are super powerful the moment attackers are unloading from the tower. I had one salvo of satchel charges from miners basically bring down a unit of Ungors to 25% health and them and the unit behind them basically insta-broke the moment they popped out of the tower :supaburn:

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qY2neGD9uI&feature=youtu.be

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panfilo posted:

Apparently units in siege towers ignore unit collision until they pile out of the thing. This means that any skills or abilities that have an AoE effect are super powerful the moment attackers are unloading from the tower. I had one salvo of satchel charges from miners basically bring down a unit of Ungors to 25% health and them and the unit behind them basically insta-broke the moment they popped out of the tower :supaburn:

I've gotten many many kills manually targeting a great cannon into the maw of a siege tower.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Is there any reason you can't target artillery onto siege towers?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

unwantedplatypus posted:

Is there any reason you can't target artillery onto siege towers?

I'm guessing balance. Generally the defender of a walled city has a ton of advantages against the AI. Unless they are coming at you with 12 siege towers you can often focus-fire one tower down at a time inside the field of fire. When a siege tower gets destroyed the units inside take like 50% damage, which means if it was an elite unit like Black Orcs or something that's a huge setback for the attacker.

For capitals with upgraded tower projectiles, this gets even easier. T3 walls do so much damage to siege towers your main threat is getting the gates bashed open. For some reason battering rams aren't as easily damaged directly, and if several units of chaff are manning a few battering rams along with units good at damaging gates they can get inside a 'safe zone' where they can easily bash down the gate without getting stopped.

Also note that if you have cavalry, you can sally out of your castle and basically 'block' the siege towers, which are apparently unable to easily push enemy (or friendly) units aside, slowing them down even further.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

jokes posted:

I've gotten many many kills manually targeting a great cannon into the maw of a siege tower.

Hell of a gunner that can shoot right into a siege tower ramp from a city square with a crowded view.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

StashAugustine posted:

Man Azhag's first quest battle is a massive pain in the rear end. Maybe I shouldn't have specced him to be my backup chaff lord

e: actually looking at his new LL tree, he gets some pretty decent buffs to savage orcs

That's the one with a shitload of Vargheists, right? Having a good line of big 'uns infantry and /or boar flavored really does make all the difference. Night goblin archers or spider riders will give you poison on demand and give your line a bit more heft comparatively.

Greenskins are kind of zany in that a 19 unit stack of t1 boys can often enough work to overwhelm the campaign AI in bodies. But that doesn't work near as well when you come against a lot of dedicated anti infantry and the sort of comps you get when doing the LL battles.

I do kind of wish Wurzag got fixed, he still has that bug where if you confederate him into your team, his trait gets reversed and increases the upkeep cost of savage orcs instead of reducing it. Since all the OG legendary lords got buffed, Wurzag got to take the Throne as "worst legendary lord" due to him buffing an already niche collection of units, a generally lackluster combat presence save for having access to foot of gork at level 3, and for his campaign being the most hosed economically out of pretty much any race. Settlement income in Wurzag starts is reduced by like 50‰ and he doesn't even gain a compensatory bonus to raiding or sacking to counter it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

toasterwarrior posted:

Hell of a gunner that can shoot right into a siege tower ramp from a city square with a crowded view.

Some siege defense maps have elevated areas behind the walls that you can park your cannon on, it's not like cannons are worth a drat otherwise in siege defence other than to try and manually snipe a tower on the approach.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gonkish posted:

60gb?! Jesus. Figure that that number will only go up as they add to the game, and then because of their silly patch methods you will then need double that amount of free space just to patch the game. :psyduck:

Fortunately, Steam has fixed the patch problem!

http://store.steampowered.com/news/32099/

quote:

Steam will now use library folders on other drives to download game updates if the primary drive doesn't have enough space left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

That's the one with a shitload of Vargheists, right? Having a good line of big 'uns infantry and /or boar flavored really does make all the difference. Night goblin archers or spider riders will give you poison on demand and give your line a bit more heft comparatively.

Greenskins are kind of zany in that a 19 unit stack of t1 boys can often enough work to overwhelm the campaign AI in bodies. But that doesn't work near as well when you come against a lot of dedicated anti infantry and the sort of comps you get when doing the LL battles.

I do kind of wish Wurzag got fixed, he still has that bug where if you confederate him into your team, his trait gets reversed and increases the upkeep cost of savage orcs instead of reducing it. Since all the OG legendary lords got buffed, Wurzag got to take the Throne as "worst legendary lord" due to him buffing an already niche collection of units, a generally lackluster combat presence save for having access to foot of gork at level 3, and for his campaign being the most hosed economically out of pretty much any race. Settlement income in Wurzag starts is reduced by like 50‰ and he doesn't even gain a compensatory bonus to raiding or sacking to counter it.

I think the upkeep thing is on purpose looking at the tooltips but it's dumb as poo poo- come to think of it wasn't he the first LL you could actually confederate? I just got a mod that eliminates it

• Locked thread