Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

pork never goes bad posted:

And re: Dennis/OneFish and other's new player experience - I think the first thing you have to figure out/decide is if you, as an individual and gamer, are ok with making some mistakes or not playing optimally or not. If you are, then the best way is to not follow a guide to the letter. Maybe read some, try to learn from those who have gone before, try to make good choices, but it's ok if you peter out before the endgame and reroll. But if you're not ok with hitting a wall, then follow a good guide to the letter. I don't care if you prefer to learn as you go, or just get into the game, or whatever - if you're not ok with wrecking a char that took a lot of investment, then follow a guide. Either choice is right, but if you go with option 1 when you aren't ok with bricking a char you will be predictably disappointed.

Posted for truth. It took me 3 tries to get to where I understood how not to gently caress up a build, and poster Jazerus describes really well above - what to do, and what to avoid.

Going to re-quote this by myself since I am actually really serious about this, boss battles are getting much harder. -

Dennis McClaren posted:

I've been wondering this. What's the appropriate strategy to use when fighting bosses that are killing you a few times?

I'm a fire based totem/searingbond/flame dash build. I've seen that sometimes my totems and my golems are alive kicking the boss down for awhile while I'm waiting to release to the checkpoint after dying. Should I start just waiting until all my totems and golems have died - before releasing and going back to the checkpoint to re-buff and start fighting again?

Anyone with some help? Advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Slam that checkpoint button and dive back in while forgetting about auras

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So why does Kaom's Heart add dps to dark pact in Path of Building? I can't figure it out.

Cheribum's shows up as adding 14.5% dps.

Kaom's shows as adding 12.1% damage.

How would kaom's add any damage? It isn't a fire skill.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

So why does Kaom's Heart add dps to dark pact in Path of Building? I can't figure it out.

Cheribum's shows up as adding 14.5% dps.

Kaom's shows as adding 12.1% damage.

How would kaom's add any damage? It isn't a fire skill.

Dark Pact scales off the amount of life you sacrifice.

E: Bought these boots with 71 life yesterday for way too much, threw an exalt at them:

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Slam that checkpoint button and dive back in while forgetting about auras

Specifically, if I'm getting wasted, should I let the totems and golems die/run out before I revive?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dennis McClaren posted:

Specifically, if I'm getting wasted, should I let the totems and golems die/run out before I revive?

Maybe if the boss is close to death, since you'll still get credit for the kill if you are spectating

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Filthy Monkey posted:

How would kaom's add any damage?

Kaom's Heart posted:

+500 to maximum Life

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Having not played in forever, do any builds use Quill Rain these days? Googling didn't bring up any quick hits for 3.0, all the builds I see using things like Explosive Arrow are from 2.3 or 2.6. Wondering if there's any use for the one I got lucky acquiring in normal lab on my Cyclone Slayer.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dennis McClaren posted:

sure, why not? don't let them kill any bosses that auto-teleport you out of the arena when they die like act 9's boss though, you'll just have to redo the area and boss if that happens because it teleports your corpse

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dennis McClaren posted:

REad my drat post

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

If you're looking for a decent boost to leap slam attack speed while two-handing, try using an essence of insanity on a pair of gloves and link leap slam/faster attacks into it. The insanity gives socketed gems a 16% more attack speed modifier. Bonus points for using spiked gloves with the melee damage implicit.

I will definitely look into this, though I've not had much luck finding essences. For Shield Charge, I'd be almost tempted to reroll for 1H+Shield, but I don't want to have wasted a day. Besides, I don't want him to be too similar to my Gladiator. Leap Slam is pretty nice for navigating weird terrain, but Shield Charge was great for getting out of trouble. I will probably get used to it, but I will have to get used to bailing a little sooner.

Is stun viable in this, or does it suffer the same fate as in Diablo 2 where eventually everything is immune to it? I mostly just want to stun for endurance charges, interrupting and the auto-culling on one of the mace passives, so even a millisecond is fine as long as it registers.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

I will definitely look into this, though I've not had much luck finding essences.

I paid 16c for one in the HC league and haven't seen one in the field, but I've only farmed shaped spider forest(t11) so far. Another option are the essences of zeal which give you an increased global attack speed mod on gloves, if you want slightly less for leap slam but shared for other skills.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I'm playing RT Flickerstrike on HC right now. Oro's, all the life, fire, burn and ignite nodes and blood magic as Chieftain.
Would slotting in Magma Orb as a 5L be a good boss killer with this? I can add the jewels if so, but I need to know if it's really strong vs bosses before I waste about 30c.
(This build randomly occurred when I got so bored with RF totems, but it's surprisingly fun till I rip!)

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Starforge Lacerate is still insanely powerful.

I logged onto Standard the other day, and rebuilt my exact tree, with the exact same gems (none of the new ones) and gear and proceeded to deathless do all guardians & shaper with my old Cospris+Starforge slayer.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Can someone please recommend some other good leveling uniques like the Flight boots and the asenath's mark circlet?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Has anyone ever made a good build with Wings of Entropy?

They made Skele Mages the build of the week so I sold off all of my Skele Mage gear for double what I paid for it (Thanks GGG) and I don't know what to reroll as, but I've wanted to use Wings of Entropy ever since I first saw it, I just can't imagine anything that would make it good since it's split chaos/elemental/phys damage

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah specters are a huge pain in the rear end

Huge other factor that makes them a pain in the rear end: the desecrate trick doesn't work on all maps. It won't work on maps with the 'spawns many x' and even worse it seems that different maps can spawn only certain spectres. The guide I'm using relies on solar guard, and keeps a running list of whichever maps work. That said, solar guard are disgustingly good, like outside of boss fights they seem perfectly fast at t14. And I'm pretty sure I could make them better if I was using something to boost their laser rather than lmp.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

I paid 16c for one in the HC league and haven't seen one in the field, but I've only farmed shaped spider forest(t11) so far. Another option are the essences of zeal which give you an increased global attack speed mod on gloves, if you want slightly less for leap slam but shared for other skills.

You won't see them either unless you use remnants of corruption on the top tier essences that spawn naturally.

pokchu posted:

Starforge Lacerate is still insanely powerful.

I logged onto Standard the other day, and rebuilt my exact tree, with the exact same gems (none of the new ones) and gear and proceeded to deathless do all guardians & shaper with my old Cospris+Starforge slayer.

Can you post a link to your character? I'm leveling a starforge lacerate right now, would be interested to see how your build compares to the guide I was following.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Acht posted:

I'm playing RT Flickerstrike on HC right now. Oro's, all the life, fire, burn and ignite nodes and blood magic as Chieftain.
Would slotting in Magma Orb as a 5L be a good boss killer with this? I can add the jewels if so, but I need to know if it's really strong vs bosses before I waste about 30c.
(This build randomly occurred when I got so bored with RF totems, but it's surprisingly fun till I rip!)

Got a link for the tree? I'm using Terminus Flicker right now and I'm wondering how far off Oro's is

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Has anyone ever made a good build with Wings of Entropy?

They made Skele Mages the build of the week so I sold off all of my Skele Mage gear for double what I paid for it (Thanks GGG) and I don't know what to reroll as, but I've wanted to use Wings of Entropy ever since I first saw it, I just can't imagine anything that would make it good since it's split chaos/elemental/phys damage

It used to be the goto for Atziri farming back when it first came out but uh it's not very good anymore.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Dennis McClaren posted:

Can someone please recommend some other good leveling uniques like the Flight boots and the asenath's mark circlet?

Karui Ward

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

foxshade

lochtonial caress

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dennis McClaren posted:

Going to re-quote this by myself since I am actually really serious about this, boss battles are getting much harder. -

Anyone with some help? Advice?

Do them immediately after levelling

just had my first complete cockblock - got a corrupted essence dude in literally the first room of my t11 map. Sweet, I think! A sign of the wonderful luck to come! Turns out 'life cannot be leeched' is a thing that monsters can have, and I'm a vaal-pact dark pact berserker. Used all my portals just trying to run past him, failed utterly.

Actually, something just occurred to me - do instances persist through character change? Could I have swapped characters and finished the instance that way?

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 31, 2017

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Whoops, was thinking of doing the skelly mage thing, but I guess I waited too long.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My skelly mage (who I'm done playing for the nonce) only got to like 60 so I only have a small number of the jewels and uniques that got posted. My resale profits :(

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
skeleton mages is my league starter and i still can't do this dumb build because the jewels cost 40c in HHC now and melee skeletons clear so slowly

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm lazy and don't feel like looking things up on poe.trade's currency exchange, which master currency discounts are worth doing?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Oh sweet, time to strip my Skelemage league starter

vOv posted:

I'm lazy and don't feel like looking things up on poe.trade's currency exchange, which master currency discounts are worth doing?

Vorici definitely is. Not sure on others.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

Vorici definitely is. Not sure on others.

elreon too

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

skeleton mages is my league starter and i still can't do this dumb build because the jewels cost 40c in HHC now and melee skeletons clear so slowly

My melee skeletons strip everything like a horde of locusts. What are you running?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

vOv posted:

Elreon and Vorici for sure. I think Haku is as well (augs -> Alts) but not a priority unless you have a poo poo load of augs.

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

Every Vagan mission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Nh7E9BMdM

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Facebreakers is best, berzerker is best

You think I'd be far behind in DPS terms if I went Chieftain instead for facebreakin'? The taunting and more durable totems and free leech sound nice.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

My melee skeletons strip everything like a horde of locusts. What are you running?

only in a 4link +2 minion helmet and Anger. i've got no queens escape or bones of ullr or anything like that. i cant commit to items until i get these 2 jewels because i don't know what weapon I want to use yet or which spectres. when they hit something they do like 90% of a packs health with melee splash, the problem is you spawn them infront of a mob and instead they slowly stroll to an enemy at the back of a pack to do their swing. plus their boss dps isn't great and they can't clear Breaches for poo poo either

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

only in a 4link +2 minion helmet and Anger. i've got no queens escape or bones of ullr or anything like that. i cant commit to items until i get these 2 jewels because i don't know what weapon I want to use yet or which spectres. when they hit something they do like 90% of a packs health with melee splash, the problem is you spawn them infront of a mob and instead they slowly stroll to an enemy at the back of a pack to do their swing. plus their boss dps isn't great and they can't clear Breaches for poo poo either

Sounds like you should get queen's escape then. Fast skeletons!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there a reason why enduring cry won't trigger off CWDT? I don't see any text indicating why it doesn't work.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there a reason why enduring cry won't trigger off CWDT? I don't see any text indicating why it doesn't work.

it's a warcry and not a spell.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

gotta hit your warcry by hand

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Ah ok. gently caress that then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I'm poor, so I'm just running a 6-link tabula. Turns out throwing zombies on it instead of using a 5th support increases clear speed.

The minion speed support gem is a huge deal, for whatever reason minions are more likely to go out of their way to attack enemies if you have it. Otherwise zombies don't do anything. I also use melee splash, minion damage, and melee damage.

I'm also running 4 auras alongside the necromancer aura talent. Wrath, haste, clarity, and purity, I believe.

I should probably pick up a garbage cheap queen's escape (sockets don't matter atm) so I can replace minion speed with something more damage focused (the new 3rd hit gets bonus damage gem, maybe?), but I'm not having any issues with clear speed or survivability yet in early mapping.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 1, 2017