Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Dude has just lost all motivation or interest in the story now that the TV show has take on a life of it's own. I'm sure he wanted to finish it, but at this point it sounds like in every interview he just can't convince himself to write more of it with any consistency or drive. I'm no writer, but the general consensus seems to be if you want to finish stuff you gotta write it almost daily, and he by his own admission has been more interested in writing other stories and doing other projects (that aren't writing) than ASOFAI.

some guy on the bus posted:

Just look at GRRM's total state of confusion when Stephen King is talking to him about writing fast. That should tell you all you need to know about when TWOW is coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_PBqSPNTfg&t=3020s

IIRC Stephen King wakes up every morning and writes 2 500 words, has breakfast and goes about his day, then writes another 2 500 in the afternoon (I wrote this post before coming across sgonb's video link)

emanresu tnuocca posted:

GRRM recently said he gets three chapters done in 6 months. And I don't know if he counts going back and rewriting existing chapters in that tally or not.

A quick check of ADwD shows that it had... 72 chapters. That's 12 years to complete it, going by his numbers, when when we know it took 6, but I can see him slowing down as the ending gets nearer and nearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If loving Shannara got a tv series, Wheel of Time can manage it. It will suck but so do the books. No doubt once GoT is over, someone will try and push forward Malazan or Prince of Nothing or something similarly edgy to fill the niche too.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I think it's no secret that GRRM's writing speed dropped off completely when his assistant went off to co-write the Expanse novels.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think Wheel of Time could make a great series if they cut away all the chaff, really. But who knows.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Preston Jacobs just announced he is writing a novel ... I have no interested in his writing, but maybe he can become a renowned novelist before GRRM dies and then finish the series for him.

That would be kinda funny.

excited for jacobs to write a ulillilia-tier insane nonsense novel and somehow get it published in the mainstream on the strength of his built-in youtube audience

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

VanSandman posted:

Do you really believe Winds of Winter will ever come out?

Yes.

Posthumously.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

No foolin', I kinda still believe that Winds of Winter will be out - but it will still at least 2-3 years. Dream of Spring will remain a dream, alas.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TeaJay posted:

No foolin', I kinda still believe that Winds of Winter will be out - but it will still at least 2-3 years. Dream of Spring will remain a dream, alas.

I thought Dream of Spring was a secret metaphor as well.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

skasion posted:

If loving Shannara got a tv series, Wheel of Time can manage it. It will suck but so do the books. No doubt once GoT is over, someone will try and push forward Malazan or Prince of Nothing or something similarly edgy to fill the niche too.

Malazan is wordier than GoT, makes less sense, and Erickson has all of Tolkien's worst anthropologist/historian tendencies. Prince of Nothing is way too loving weird for a mainstream adaptation, although I could see Showtime or somebody taking a crack at it.

Just give the world the Black Company adaptation that it needs :black101:.

esperterra posted:

Wheel of Time has been picked up by Sony iirc, and has been in pre production the last year while they shop around to networks.

e: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sony-1202390897/

"Rafe Judkins is attached to write and executive produce. Judkins previously worked on shows such as ABC’s “Agents of SHIELD,” the Netflix series “Hemlock Grove,” and the NBC series “Chuck. An adaptation of “The Wheel of Time” novels has been in development in one form or another going back as far as 2000, but the projects mostly never made it past that stage. However, a pilot episode called “Winter Dragon” aired on FXX back in February 2015 starring Max Ryan and Billy Zane. It aired at 1:30 a.m. with no prior publicity."

Oh boy.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 31, 2017

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Mazalan was awful, I've never read a book before and had no idea what actually happened when I was done with it. I only read the first one, I was hoping it would all come together in the end but somehow it ended up making less sense.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I need to track down a bootleg of that pirate, like who the gently caress was Billy Zane playing.

e: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hUQE0-G_GeU

Here we go.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 31, 2017

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

"However, a pilot episode called “Winter Dragon” aired on FXX back in February 2015 starring Max Ryan and Billy Zane. It aired at 1:30 a.m. with no prior publicity."

Oh boy.

It's my understanding that this "pilot" was basically the laziest attempt to make something in order for the rights-holders to say they were using it, instead of it defaulting back to Jordan's widow and her being able to sell them to someone less shady.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I guess it was made 100% without permission from Jordan's estate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of authors dying, Terry Pratchett left instructions for his hard drive to be destroyed by a steamroller when he died and his friends did indeed do it

Now that's classy

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Bran's actor says Bran = night king theory is dumb.

http://www.avclub.com/game-of-thrones-star-shoots-down-your-bran-night-king-t-1798663803

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Prince of nothing first book was even worse than mazalan. Reading crappy starts to "epic" fantasy makes me appreciate GRRM even more. They aren't even in the same class.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

So, they wrote and filmed a scene where Sansa and Bran talked and he revealed Littelfinger's plan but didn't show it because of time and the director is a loving moron.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

JaySB posted:

So, they wrote and filmed a scene where Sansa and Bran talked and he revealed Littelfinger's plan but didn't show it because of time and the director is a loving moron.

Sincerely I don't know if that would have made everything less or even more dumb

Their conflict was completely stupid from the very beginning. Sansa would have to be retarded to believe that Arya was plotting to became Lady of Winterfell in her place, just as Arya would have to be a complete moron to believe that Sansa was sincere on that letter. They needing Bran omniscience to realize their are being retarded maybe would make everything even more stupid

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 31, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it's just as dumb with that scene.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think they could have tossed that scene in way earlier in the season and saved us the pain of all of that awful Sansa/Arya bullshit.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah it's just as dumb with that scene.

At least without that scene it seems like Sansa figured LF out and then dealt with him. Her arc should be becoming good at all that palace intrigue stuff.

The conflict was still idiotic and forced.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Aryas bag of dollar store halloween masks was hysterical tho. All the winterfel poo poo this season was worth it just to hit that rock bottom

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

JaySB posted:

Yea I think it would have taken the suprise out of the Littlefinger scene too though

I'd already done that by reading all the spoilers which I really shouldn't do for next season

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

In It For The Tank posted:

Season 4 is definitely where the show plummeted off the edge of a cliff in terms of quality. It had its moments (the Purple Wedding, Tyrion's trial) but it also had Yara at the Dreadfort, KUNK KUNK KUNK, Jojen getting stabbed by a knife attached to a drinking bird, Olly, etc. Even good scenes like Arya and the Hound's road trip stopped being interesting after a while because basically every storyline was spinning its wheels until the finale.

1 >>> 3 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 6 > 5

If KUNK KUNK KUNK is the scene I'm thinking of then you're wrong because that scene is cool and good and well acted by both peter dinklage and ((Jamie, I forget his name)).

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Essos stuff post-Khal Drogo sucked in the books, too. You know from the beginning that dragons and Dothraki burning down Westeros is the real game and so everything with Dany which isn't that feels like sideshow filler, because it is. "Let's watch dragons grow up in real time, that sounds fun."

Also it gets really old how every time someone on the internet complains that the books are taking too long to come out, there will ALWAYS be That Guy who quotes "GRRM is not your bitch."

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 1, 2017

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'm afraid to watch season 6 again because I remember liking it well enough and I found the north storyline very affecting, but I know if I watch it again I'll just be annoyed at how it goes to poo poo a season later.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Imagined posted:

The Essos stuff post-Khal Drogo sucked too. You know from the beginning that dragons and Dothraki burning down Westeros is the real game and so everything with Dany which isn't that feels like sideshow filler, because it is. "Let's watch dragons grow up in real time, that sounds fun."

Also it gets really old how every time someone on the internet complains that the books are taking too long to come out, there will ALWAYS be That Guy who quotes "GRRM is not your bitch."

tbf, he isn't.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

No but I imagine his publisher wants to kill him.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Max posted:

No but I imagine his publisher wants to kill him.

Eh, he's made them a buttload of money on what he's already done.

He may not be my bitch but he is a bitch.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYagF_aAA-6/

I really hope that dumb theory doesn't end up being true.
nvm it's a shoop

VanSandman posted:

He may not be my bitch but he is a bitch.

Acceptable imo

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 1, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Imagined posted:

The Essos stuff post-Khal Drogo sucked too.

I like Fantasy not-Carthage because it was so loving weird, but the Slaver's Bay stuff is awful, yes.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Looking at the rankings just reminds me of how the show used to be interesting character duos like Arya/Tywin, Jaime/Brienne and Tyrion/Cersei at its core and now the dialogue is borderline mediocre in a good scene.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shneak posted:

Looking at the rankings just reminds me of how the show used to be interesting character duos like Arya/Tywin, Jaime/Brienne and Tyrion/Cersei at its core and now the dialogue is borderline mediocre in a good scene.

Tormund / Sandor was good. Too bad those scenes are so few and far between now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Tormund / Sandor was good. Too bad those scenes are so few and far between now.

Also the bit with Tormund/Gendry

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
And Arya/Tywin wasn't even in the books; it's a show-only thing but the writing was solid and the actors worked really well together.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Somebody here had a theory that something in the show indicated that Euron would kill Jon, but now I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Somebody here had a theory that something in the show indicated that Euron would kill Jon, but now I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
The "Drowned God killing Aegon the Conqueror" prophecy

Even though Jon isn't really a Conqueror, but prophecies have always been vague and poorly worded drivel, so...

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So I finally decided to check out this Preston guy's videos, and aside from the annoying characters he tries to play, I think his review stuff is pretty on point, and he does have a ton of interesting things to say about the show and the books.

A lot of his theorycrafting is hilariously dumb, though. I'm currently watching one of the videos in his 'what you are missing' series, and he speculates that Donal Noye probably ate his own arm at the Siege of Storm's End (because, I mean, how else could you lose an arm during a siege?), and was sent to the Wall as a punishment for this. :laffo:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Drunk in Space posted:

So I finally decided to check out this Preston guy's videos, and aside from the annoying characters he tries to play, I think his review stuff is pretty on point, and he does have a ton of interesting things to say about the show and the books.

A lot of his theorycrafting is hilariously dumb, though. I'm currently watching one of the videos in his 'what you are missing' series, and he speculates that Donal Noye probably ate his own arm at the Siege of Storm's End (because, I mean, how else could you lose an arm during a siege?), and was sent to the Wall as a punishment for this. :laffo:

Also Noye's arm was an agent of the Three Eyed Raven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Alt Shift X is my preferred fan theory YouTube channel, personally.

• Locked thread