Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The brooks is not laggy with arcade stick, must be a motion thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

gently caress Stardew, I want to play whatever this is immediately

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I hope this means they'll release Amiibo of actual basketball players.

Imagine having my Lebron James Amiibo next to Mario. And then having both fight each other in Smash Bros. 4 Switch. :unsmigghh:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I just got the green/pink Joy-Con shells from Aliexpress, and they look like they're OEM. Am I going to be able to find the tri-wing screwdriver at a hardware store, or is it a specialty item?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pretty sure you can find a tri-wing bit in literally any precision screwdriver set

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Millions posted:

I just got the green/pink Joy-Con shells from Aliexpress, and they look like they're OEM. Am I going to be able to find the tri-wing screwdriver at a hardware store, or is it a specialty item?

https://handheldlegend.com/collecti...ant=35317249155

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

chaleski posted:

Tell me it's Little Witch Academia Valley Dew-whatever

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

rogue wave posted:

Thank you for the honesty. You saved me money and time. I was going to get this hooked up for a buddy of mine, but I will wait and see. Let us know if you do ever get it working in a workable way that isn't too laggy.

Yeah, you bet!

Real hurthling! posted:

The brooks is not laggy with arcade stick, must be a motion thing

As far as I've heard Brooks converters have a good reputation, get used in tournaments etc, so I was surprised too. It must be this new model. In my post I actually note that the converter was extremely laggy before I installed the firmware that enabled motion control, so it's not just that. Just switching back and forth between icons on the home screen was gnarly: absolutely noticeably laggy, and button inputs were noticeably delayed as well. After updating, it was a little better on the home screen, but...not a lot, really.

But I figured I'd give it a try with more than one game anyway, grabbed Bomberman since it has no motion anything in it. Weird and bad results: dpad and buttons feel sticky and slow and using the stick for directional input was not only laggy but had a whole huge new issue of phantom input. Use the stick to move and when I try to stop I'd end up sprinting top-right for any amount of time afterward. It's 100% not the controller, it wasn't even doing that in Splatoon earlier.

I'll probably try it with a few more games out of my own curiosity and write it up into an email to customer support. These are some real teething problems.

e: MK8DX report, no motion steering enabled: whole bunch of bad phantom stick input

Manky fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 1, 2017

Rivarz
Oct 11, 2004
He who flows like water
Just got a Switch. I have BotW, Has Been Heroes, and Switch Minecraft.

I'm looking to buy either Mario Kart or Shovel Knight next. I've never played SK, and I haven't played a Mario Kart since N64. Any recommendations?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

chaleski posted:

I thought that was just Stardew in the winter months? I didn't play it that long.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Shovel Knight and Mario Kart, yes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They're both great, and very different games. Do you want a fun kart racer or a fun platformer? Do you want multiplayer?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

enojy posted:

I thought that was just Stardew in the winter months? I didn't play it that long.
😒

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ezfsJ4-Lw

Bill Barber fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 1, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manky posted:

Yeah, you bet!

As far as I've heard Brooks converters have a good reputation, get used in tournaments etc, so I was surprised too. It must be this new model. In my post I actually note that the converter was extremely laggy before I installed the firmware that enabled motion control, so it's not just that. Just switching back and forth between icons on the home screen was gnarly: absolutely noticeably laggy, and button inputs were noticeably delayed as well. After updating, it was a little better on the home screen, but...not a lot, really.

But I figured I'd give it a try with more than one game anyway, grabbed Bomberman since it has no motion anything in it. Weird and bad results: dpad and buttons feel sticky and slow and using the stick for directional input was not only laggy but had a whole huge new issue of phantom input. Use the stick to move and when I try to stop I'd end up sprinting top-right for any amount of time afterward. It's 100% not the controller, it wasn't even doing that in Splatoon earlier.

I'll probably try it with a few more games out of my own curiosity and write it up into an email to customer support. These are some real teething problems.

Mine is the wiiu model with the switch firmware upgrade. Did they make a new one and gently caress it up?

The only issue i have is that after you finish using it you have to unplug the converter or it will force the controller pairing menu constantly if it is not being used

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Mine is the wiiu model with the switch firmware upgrade. Did they make a new one and gently caress it up?

The only issue i have is that after you finish using it you have to unplug the converter or it will force the controller pairing menu constantly if it is not being used

Yeah, this is a new for-Switch model. They improved on that issue at least, I can just leave it plugged in no problem! :banjo:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rivarz posted:

I'm looking to buy either Mario Kart or Shovel Knight next. I've never played SK, and I haven't played a Mario Kart since N64. Any recommendations?

Buy Mario XCOM instead.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rivarz posted:

Mario Kart. Game is straight up the best racing game ever imo. I have countless hours between the two versions and I still can't get enough.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm having a got dang blast playing Mario XCOM.

Thanks for reading.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I can't even beat the first boss of Gunvolt on hard. I am so bad.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Absolutely get Mario Kart 8 if you haven't played since 64. MK8 is so far and away the best Mario Kart ever it isn't funny.

Shovel Knight is pretty good, too. It nails 8-bit platforming perfectly with a pretty generous learning curve, and all current & future DLC is free if you buy the Treasure Trove or whatever it's called.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Between Mario Kart and Shovel Knight, definitely get both!

As to the adapter for the controllers, does that one let you go in the reverse with using your Pro controller or Joycons with other systems (or does that work out the box already with bluetooth?) I know Joycons can be used even with the Wii and Wii-U. What about other consoles and PCs?

If it does require the adapter, is the lag showing up there too? Is there any calibration you have to do after working with the firmware update? Try calibration.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I just cannot comprehend how Ubisoft managed to make a.. good game. Mario+Rabbids practically feels like a first party title.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Buy Mario Rabbids you dummies

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nalin posted:

I just cannot comprehend how Ubisoft managed to make a.. good game. Mario+Rabbids practically feels like a first party title.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate was great as well, nevermind Rayman Origins and Legends, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Jack Bauer-esque story aside). Their only real problem was trying to force yearly iterations out of their franchises, and they seem to have finally realized not to do that.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Nalin posted:

Probably a combination of having Nintendo looking at everything you're doing under a microscope cause there's no way they'd let someone use the Mario IP and not have a near death grip oversight on the project from start to finish and the main dev on the game being a huge, huge fan of Miyamoto who wanted to make the best can he could for him

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Miyamoto has a weird gross sense of humor and would like rabbids

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

More about this.

Nintendo is also doing a Nindies @ Night stream. Hoping Hollow Knight gets a release date, as always.

Also also, Project Octopath is part of Squenix's TGS lineup. Very excited to finally see it!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nindies at night is on twitch hyper_rpg right now. At the moment seems mostly annoying hosts wandering around yelling.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I keep remembering we got trailer for NMH3 and it makes me happy all over again

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
wow i hate these people on the stream

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

It's challenging, yeah

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So just so you know Dr Tim Whatley of this thread is the type of person who goes on a developer chat and spams "Cringe" over and over

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Suda has descended to bring us all peace and masturbation jokes

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Thats it, translate jerking off.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So just so you know Dr Tim Whatley of this thread is the type of person who goes on a developer chat and spams "Cringe" over and over

in 291 seconds ill be doing it again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rabbids is indeed good but holy crap am I bad at this genre. I have trouble getting through world 1 fights without a teammate going down.

No, I will not use easy mode. I must learn.:colbert:

Watching Luigi dive behind cover and then return fire with a vacuum shaped rifle is amazing.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I thought Suda was gonna pull his shirt up and reveal he was a member of the NWO.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Let me buy this right now

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I also need to work on my technique. I need to pop out of cover, do the deed and take cover again. I end up too exposed. I have slowly been incorporating more dashes and team jumps. It seems like you can really stack your movement that way to get to better locations in fewer moves. It's the starting positions where you're more likely to lose at least one teammate from, from what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bless her heart for doing the jerk off hand motion on a Nintendo stream

• Locked thread