Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
I have a Samsung French door with the freezer on the bottom. Goes alright but the radiator in the fridge section ices up every six months or so, which eventually impinges on the fan and makes a gently caress awful noise. Samsung won't touch it under warranty either, despite a lot of people online reporting it as an issue. It's like 4 years old. I made the wife promise me that when it's time to replace it I'm allowed to get a commercial fridge and a chest freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Having spent a lot of time looking at refrigerators a couple of years ago let me give you one thing to try and look for.

There are only a couple of different companies making the internal components but lots of companies make a custom housing around it. The EXACT same refrigerator mechanically can be sold by two different companies/brands and be $1000 apart in prices.

Look at the ice makers, look at the water dispenser, look at the internal layout of storage area, read the detailed specs if you can. If those things are the same then it's pretty likely that those are the same refrigerator.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
That is common amongst a lot of household things. A.C. units especially.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuck-Errant posted:

Sales on appliances usually kick off around Labor Day weekend, so if you can hold out a week you might be able to get some better deals - or make sure they have a price match that goes out that far.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I don't know if we have a luxury of time, but I'll let my parents know this just in case. We ARE having money issues right now, so if we can get a better fridge for less then it'd be great.

I might give Best Buy a call to find out if they can give me a sneak peek at their Labor Day weekend deals.

Canuck-Errant posted:

If you're set on a side-by-side, Consumer Reports recommends the Samsung RS25J500DSR, which is in your price range and has the features you're after. It won't be as energy efficient as models with a top/bottom separation, of course, but it fits. The RS25H5121SR scored slightly better (78 vs 76), mostly on ease of use, but cost 600 bucks more; on the other hand, that might be worth the difference to you, especially if they go on sale before new models arrive in October.

My parents want a side-by-side. They have real bad arthritis problems and have trouble bending over and kneeling, so a French door model wouldn't work for them.

Interesting that you recommend the Samsung RS25J500DSR. I found that model on BestBuy.com last night and showed it to my dad. He likes it. There's some indications in the reviews that Samsung sucks at customer service and repairs though, and this Reviews.com article agrees, so I'm a little wary.

EDIT: Is the LG LSXS26326S any good? It's a couple hundred dollars more at Best Buy, but I'm wondering if we can get it for $1000 come Labor Day weekend.

Also can I get a link to that Consumer Reports thing you're quoting?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 28, 2017

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Here's the CR page I took this from, though it's paywalled. The LG LSXS26326S is actually rated lower than both of the Samsung models I suggested - 72 points - and the CR review says it's noisier and not as uniform in terms of temperature. I'd still go for the RS25.

Also, I'd double-check Best Buy's price drop policy, since if you need it now and can get refunded on the price difference if/when it goes down, you might as well~

E: If you're looking for a fridge that isn't LG or Samsung, is side-by-side, and is in the general price range, the highest-rated would be the GE GSE25ESHSS at 70 points.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 28, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuck-Errant posted:

Here's the CR page I took this from, though it's paywalled. The LG LSXS26326S is actually rated lower than both of the Samsung models I suggested - 72 points - and the CR review says it's noisier and not as uniform in terms of temperature. I'd still go for the RS25.

Also, I'd double-check Best Buy's price drop policy, since if you need it now and can get refunded on the price difference if/when it goes down, you might as well~

E: If you're looking for a fridge that isn't LG or Samsung, is side-by-side, and is in the general price range, the highest-rated would be the GE GSE25ESHSS at 70 points.

Good to know, thanks.

I checked some places online, and it looks like a bunch of stores are doing Labor Day weekend sales now, so maybe we don't have to wait.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Good to know, thanks.

I checked some places online, and it looks like a bunch of stores are doing Labor Day weekend sales now, so maybe we don't have to wait.

I'd highly recommend using their no-interest financing option if your parents either have or could qualify for a Best Buy store card. We bought a washer and dryer from there that came out to like $1200 and got 18 months interest-free. Only took us 6 to pay them off, but the flexibility was nice especially if there are money issues present.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

This is a pretty big thread, so, apologies if this has come up before!

We got a cast iron skillet recently and I'm enjoying it a lot, but I can't seem to get it to season properly. I just pulled it out of a hot oven after like an hour or so and some of the seasoning can still be scratched with a fork. Does it need more time, or a higher temperature (I set the oven at 450 F), or what?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

EightFlyingCars posted:

This is a pretty big thread, so, apologies if this has come up before!

We got a cast iron skillet recently and I'm enjoying it a lot, but I can't seem to get it to season properly. I just pulled it out of a hot oven after like an hour or so and some of the seasoning can still be scratched with a fork. Does it need more time, or a higher temperature (I set the oven at 450 F), or what?

Have I got a thread for you!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Oh hey, I completely overlooked this. Thank you!

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I've been thinking that I want to try some recipes that involve using an immersion blender. I used our regular blender to make this delicious mushroom soup and it was great but also a pain in the neck. Is there a go-to immersion blender baseline or should I just grab whichever one is on sale for cheap?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

EightFlyingCars posted:

Oh hey, I completely overlooked this. Thank you!

You are welcome, and it's a good thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ignoranus posted:

I've been thinking that I want to try some recipes that involve using an immersion blender. I used our regular blender to make this delicious mushroom soup and it was great but also a pain in the neck. Is there a go-to immersion blender baseline or should I just grab whichever one is on sale for cheap?

I went with the cheapest blender I could find, which was the Cuisinart one they had at Costco for $30, and it came with a whisk. I'm not sure what model they have now but sometimes they have a set that comes with a mini food processor attachment instead. So far I've been happy except that you can't stick the whole whisk attachment into the dishwasher because the gears inside will rust, you have to attach the whisk from the gearbox and just put the whisk in the dishwasher. I think the blender attachment is dishwasher safe, although I haven't looked at the manual in a while

Any soup you want smooth and think transferring to the countertop blender is a pain = immersion blender

I've been using the whisk to make the lightly-whipped cream for copycat Harry Potter butterbeers, churn butter, disperse hydrocolloids into liquids and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head

It's also very good for Serious Eats' immersion blender mayonnaise and hollandaise sauces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWzVV_XrcM

edit: this one
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-HB...mersion+blender

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God bless Kenji

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've made immersion blender mayo and aioli. It is tasty and also quite spectacular to make.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I need to get myself one of those immersion blenders with the processor attachment. Trying to blend or make small quantities is impossible with my current blender and food processor.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My coffee grinder poo poo the bed recently and I actually used the processor attachment for my stick blender to ghetto grind some beans. It was a very coarse grind but it did work!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does anyone have a suggestion for an over-the-range microwave? My current one's door latch mechanism broke (again) and the only way to fix it this time is to replace the entire drat door ($200).

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Consumer Reports suggests the GE JVM3160RFSS if you're trying to get the best bang for the buck, or the GE Profile PVM9215SKSS if you want a fancier model.

Stay away from Samsung, though, apparently they have the highest failure rate for microwaves.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Panasonic may still be the only company that has their "inverter" tech or w/e. Makes lower power levels actually lower rather than cycling high on and off.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Panasonic may still be the only company that has their "inverter" tech or w/e. Makes lower power levels actually lower rather than cycling high on and off.

Which allows them to have the coolest sounding microwave feature there is: Chaos Defrost

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Which allows them to have the coolest sounding microwave feature there is: Chaos Defrost

https://i.imgur.com/BbOwkcg.jpg

This looks worrisome

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Does it have a trapped butterfly and makes it flip its wings until it causes the thing to thaw?

Are people using this feature responsible for recent storms?

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider
Not sure if this is the right thread for this one, but does anyone have any experience / suggestions on an induction cooktop? We're upgrading the island in the new house and I'm putting a 36" induction with a new downdraft.

Pretty sure on the Cattura downdraft from Best (http://www.bestrangehoods.com/cattura), but not sure how to make a decision on these cooktops. Once you narrow it down to those that have linkable burners, they all seem pretty much the same, but the costs vary wildly. I looked closest at a Monogram ($3k), Bosch ($2.7k) and a Jenn-Air ($2.1k). The Jenn-Air also comes with a new cookware set which should save an additional $700 or so.

Anyone have any idea on how to go about choosing?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

My in laws have a Bosch and it is the bees knees. They had to get new compatible pots but it boils a pot of water faster than and electric kettle can and can do low like double boiler style work right on the cooktop with no scorching.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Cast iron question! I have a few cast iron pans and we recently had a fire in our building that was pretty gnarly with tons of chemical/trash/other smoke and grime. I've been cleaning them with normal dish soap and a sponge and they rinse clear and wipe down clear with a rag. When I go to re-oil them however, the paper towel comes up with a ton of black grime. They look super clear, but I'll re-wash and go through the process again with the same result. I said gently caress it and cooked some tofu in them (the whitest of foods), with zero black residue or anything. Is this a normal cast iron thing when starting to re-season them or do I need to do a heavier duty clean of them? Just want to avoid eating toxic smoke grime if possible!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No expert here but I've never known cast iron to NOT leave a little black on a paper towel.

Ya'll remember that kitchenaid stand mixer at Costco a couple weeks ago? I got one and just getting around to using it. The arm when it's mixing is hitting the back of the bowl fairly hard. Enough to kind of be going "whiiiiiiirrr-bonk-whiiiiiiiirrr-bonk"

I'm hoping this is just a misaligned bowl-mount and not with the mixer. Is this normal. If not normal, is it a common issue? If it's an issue, is it usually the bowl?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can you post video of it

I have a tilty and the attachments have never touched the bowl

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The bottom of the head is hitting the top of the bowl? Or the attachment is hitting the back of the bowl? Is the bowl locked in and the head locked down? If so, you could call KitchenAid or tbh just do an exchange at Costco.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When the bowl is in and raised into mixing position, it's knocking the back (furthest from me) inside of the bowl with the mixing attachment. I'll take a video in a few...

[Edit] vid:

https://youtu.be/ppkkh4YQOYw

[Edit2] pic of metal rubbing off... I'm assuming this won't kill us if ingested?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 3, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Feenix posted:

When the bowl is in and raised into mixing position, it's knocking the back (furthest from me) inside of the bowl with the mixing attachment. I'll take a video in a few...

[Edit] vid:

https://youtu.be/ppkkh4YQOYw

[Edit2] pic of metal rubbing off... I'm assuming this won't kill us if ingested?

It's definitely not supposed to do that, return that sucker.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's definitely not supposed to do that, return that sucker.

I'm sure I have the receipt somewhere but does Costco log your purchases to your membership?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah it's definitely not supposed to do that. If you look in the manual, there's a way to adjust the height of the beater. You could play with that and see if it makes a difference, or maybe there's another way to adjust the beater that I'm forgetting? If it's not easy, take it back to Costco. They're good about customer service.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just read around and found one person claiming that raising it up it could feel "up" but not be fully up, and thusly still at a tilt. I will try later to see if that was it, first.

Funnily enough, a lot of posts about the gray residue in the buttercream and such. When asked to Kitchenaid, they claim it may be residual polish left on and that soap and water won't get it and to scrub with lemon and salt.

The manual mentions nothing other than "ready to use". So that kinda sucks, if true...

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
The grey residue is probably from the beater itself. The burnished coating isn't especially hardy.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Kids are sleeping so I can't run it again but I think I solved it. Didn't realize the bowl had like.. a little nipple on the back and that that metal tab had a hole.. I really, REALLY had to press down in the back, but it slotted in. That was probably it.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

My Kitchenaid had a ton of residue in the bowl, I had to scrub it off with a baking soda/salt paste and it took a couple times to get it really clean.

AFAIK that's normal, I think the updated manuals tell you that.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Feenix posted:

Kids are sleeping so I can't run it again but I think I solved it. Didn't realize the bowl had like.. a little nipple on the back and that that metal tab had a hole.. I really, REALLY had to press down in the back, but it slotted in. That was probably it.

Yeah, it sounded like your bowl wasn't seated right. I was going to suggest checking it with a level to see if it was sitting flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Feenix posted:

I have a Costco model from a few years back, and I usually seat the back first, then one of the side posts. It's way easier to push the other side into position than to push the back down with both sides seated.