Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Prey's decently realistic email chains where you can read the contents of emails on the computer of both the sender and receiver allows from some fun things every once in awhile.

Best email chain is some engineer constantly asking his coworker out to lunch and calling her Sam or Sammy despite her protestations.

Final email starts
"Samantha,
I'm not mad about the HR thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Starcraft 2 released another commander for co-op missions, Dehaka. He commands Primal Zerg who aren't part of the Zerg hive mind and constantly fight among themselves to guide their evolution. Instead of the standard Zerg hives and buildings that are basically just giant organs, they have giant stationary beasts.

They still build buildings by sacrificing a drone however. Instead of the drone morphing into a building, it scooches around a patch of ground spraying pheromones. When they're done, the beast burrows up from under them and eats the drone.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

"Boss, you sure you want this logo?"

"Yeah... it's based on this nightmare someone once told me about..."

Actually it's based on current technology.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I really like how Hyrule Warriors Legends escalates some people's power levels.

The Great Fairy's special attack has her dropping the moon from Majora's Mask on people.

Skull Kid kicks around a tiny Majora's Mask moon for his like a soccerball before shooting it into a crowd. Not to mention one of his combos is to just shoot eye lasers.

And Young Link's magic bar attack is putting on the Fierce Deity mask and cutting the Majora's Mask moon in half.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

RareAcumen posted:

I really like how Hyrule Warriors Legends escalates some people's power levels.

The Great Fairy's special attack has her dropping the moon from Majora's Mask on people.

Skull Kid kicks around a tiny Majora's Mask moon for his like a soccerball before shooting it into a crowd. Not to mention one of his combos is to just shoot eye lasers.

And Young Link's magic bar attack is putting on the Fierce Deity mask and cutting the Majora's Mask moon in half.

There's nothing more satisfying than getting a great combo on a group of enemies or a couple of the advanced enemies and juggling them into the air, then utterly destroying them with a special attack.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
God drat that moon really needs to stop letting people use it like that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Slime posted:

God drat that moon really needs to stop letting people use it like that.

Why do you think it's so angry

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Look, if a moon really doesn't want to be dropped on someone it has ways of shutting that stuff down.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Another one for Prey. During the course of the story you have to go outside of the station for the first time to get a key from a dead body that's in an airlock. You take the key to gain access to a room to fix a thing. You can do this and then leave the room.

But, if you look at the videos that are on the computer you used to fix the thing, you see a video of the dead guy and his assistant talking. The second video the guy and his assistant get in a little tiff and the assistant leaves. The dead guy waits until she leaves and then walks out of the shot of the video. Thing is, she video is "3D", so if you move to the opposite side of the screen that he walks off of, you can still see him at an angle, messing with something at a table you couldn't see before.

If you read emails on his computer you find two separate ones asking his assistants separately to 1) make a coffee tumbler that's an exact weight and 2) create a plate that has a weighted on/off switch that's the same weight that he asked the other assistant to make the tumbler.

Ultimately you find the tumbler, put it on the plate and it opens a secret compartment with random bits in it.

I just appreciated that so much went into such a simple thing that's so easily missed and has zero bearing on progressing the storyline. If you'd left the room after fixing the thing, you would have never known about it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Joey Freshwater posted:

Another one for Prey. During the course of the story you have to go outside of the station for the first time to get a key from a dead body that's in an airlock. You take the key to gain access to a room to fix a thing. You can do this and then leave the room.

But, if you look at the videos that are on the computer you used to fix the thing, you see a video of the dead guy and his assistant talking. The second video the guy and his assistant get in a little tiff and the assistant leaves. The dead guy waits until she leaves and then walks out of the shot of the video. Thing is, she video is "3D", so if you move to the opposite side of the screen that he walks off of, you can still see him at an angle, messing with something at a table you couldn't see before.

If you read emails on his computer you find two separate ones asking his assistants separately to 1) make a coffee tumbler that's an exact weight and 2) create a plate that has a weighted on/off switch that's the same weight that he asked the other assistant to make the tumbler.

Ultimately you find the tumbler, put it on the plate and it opens a secret compartment with random bits in it.

I just appreciated that so much went into such a simple thing that's so easily missed and has zero bearing on progressing the storyline. If you'd left the room after fixing the thing, you would have never known about it.

It's more than just a treasure drop though. That behaviour is picked up as odd by other characters and it's the first hint that he's mentally deteriorating. It's woven into the character arcs in a really lovely way.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Look, if a moon really doesn't want to be dropped on someone it has ways of shutting that stuff down.

:aaa::golfclap:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I've had my life utterly consumed by The Long Dark and probably my favourite thing about it is that it is all little things. When you first start playing you will die probably almost immediately, but each playthrough reveals a little bit more about the game and how to survive.

For example you can use Charcoal to map your surroundings, but it takes about 20 minutes of ingame time. Do it out in the open and you'll lose more body temp if it is cold or windy, but if you find a little nook to hang out in you can block wind chill and you'll lose less body temp mapping.

When I first started playing I would hoard food and eat it only when I was hungry. Then I graduated to just eating everything I found as carrying food around increases your encumbrance which means you use more calories moving around and become fatigued more easily. Now I have realised that carrying around animal carcasses or raw or cooked meat makes you smell, which means wolves will find you from further away and are more likely to attack you. So now I try and stockpile scavenged food items whenever possible to eat as I'm exploring or trekking from one location to another, and if I find a rabbit grove I will harvest and cook the meat right then and there so I don't get brutally murdered by wolves.

It's the best survival game I've played by a huge margin and I recommend it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah, back in the System Shock days it was always a little silly how people would just record themselves talking to themselves and put safe codes and passwords in their message for no reason or hide it with some stupidly obvious or convoluted puzzle. The Thief remake was especially bad for this where at one point a safe code was just random numbers in a letter and even Dishonored was occasionally silly with things like safe combinations hidden in paintings, but in Prey it's all diagetic and logical since you're listening to recordings of phone calls and emails.

Also the fact that most passwords you get are because of people being forced to constantly update and reset their passwords by the management is apparently pretty true to life.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I kind of want a game where the skeleton key for locked computers is just the number to IT, and you just call them and say "Hi, yeah I'm locked out. Name's *looks around at desk* Jamie Cartwright. Hold on... dang, I must have forgotten it. Could you give me a temporary password?"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I can't remember the game but I remember a puzzle involving an automated password reset system being used to access someone's account.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Joey Freshwater posted:

If you walk around to the other side you will find there are 3 screens total, the one where you started the video, one facing the stairs the assistant leaves to and one facing his special hideout. No need to angle to first screen ;)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

There's another one of these I just stumbled over. Very early in the game you pass through a room with a locked safe, and a whiteboard that reads "Safe code: XXXX" with the numbers wiped off. A little later you watch one of those looking glass videos filmed earlier in that very room, and sure enough when you walk over to the side you can see that same whiteboard with the numbers still un-wiped. It requires a bit of backtracking to an area you usually wouldn't go to, but it does have some neat goodies and makes you feel super smug for figuring it out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Perestroika posted:

There's another one of these I just stumbled over. Very early in the game you pass through a room with a locked safe, and a whiteboard that reads "Safe code: XXXX" with the numbers wiped off. A little later you watch one of those looking glass videos filmed earlier in that very room, and sure enough when you walk over to the side you can see that same whiteboard with the numbers still un-wiped. It requires a bit of backtracking to an area you usually wouldn't go to, but it does have some neat goodies and makes you feel super smug for figuring it out.

You can just guess that it's 0451 too, ruining everything.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LawfulWaffle posted:

I kind of want a game where the skeleton key for locked computers is just the number to IT, and you just call them and say "Hi, yeah I'm locked out. Name's *looks around at desk* Jamie Cartwright. Hold on... dang, I must have forgotten it. Could you give me a temporary password?"

Uplink does feature the social engineering side of hacking, you have to call people up to get voice samples for identity verification.

Saint Freak posted:

You can just guess that it's 0451 too, ruining everything.

It actually breaks from tradition and that first safe isn't locked with 0451, it's the code to your office later.

Also a lot of combinations in Prey are procedurally generated so you can't cheat and look them up ahead of time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

WirelessPillow posted:

If you walk around to the other side you will find there are 3 screens total, the one where you started the video, one facing the stairs the assistant leaves to and one facing his special hideout. No need to angle to first screen ;)

So much for me being super observant

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I appreciate the codes for safes being randomized in Dishonored 2.
How you get the codes always stay the same, they just wanted to gently caress with speed runners a bit.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mokinokaro posted:

I can't remember the game but I remember a puzzle involving an automated password reset system being used to access someone's account.

I did something like that just last night in the Hacknet DLC Labyrinths.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Was it Prey that had the occasional PA announcement "A reminder from IT: post-it notes, including hidden ones, are not a secure method for storing your passwords"? Because if anything in Prey is true to life, it's that.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Man, I'm just getting into the meat of Phantom Pain and it hurts me to see how cool Ghost Recon: Wildlands could have been if it had tried a little harder.

You can do so much cool poo poo to disrupt stuff in Phantom Pain - you can blow up their coms so they can't call in back-up, you can kidnap their high-ranking soldiers, you can send your guys out on ops to prevent their guys from having more body armor and helmets.... you actually get to feel like you're messing up their lives.

Imagine how cool it would have been if you could actually see your efforts make a dent in Wildlands? For a game that's all about waging guerrilla warfare on a cartel, you get no reward for actually doing it well. Everything is so static that nothing you do makes any difference; it's too bad you can't go hunting for arms shipments so that for the next few days they're much more careful with their ammo usage because they're running low, or sabotage food truck deliveries to soldiers so that some of them desert.

I really like Phantom Pain's guerrilla warfare is what I'm saying. If things go wrong when I'm infiltrating a base and I have to mess some poo poo up, I make a real big effort to REALLY mess things up.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Even sadder: MGS3 did that poo poo over a decade ago.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While the level Hotfoot in Stitch: Experiment 626 sucks horribly, and I've whined about why in the sister thread, it did have the best Jumba tutorial thingy - simple but funny: "Does this suit make me look fat? :smith:"

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I just got Sonic Mania and the level of detail in the sprites and animation is just sick. It's a lot of little things that add up to a big one that lends a lot of character to the sprites.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Agents are GO! posted:

Even MGS2 had stuff like shooting their radio so they couldn't call for backup.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Real waypoints. Talking about maps and navigation in the Witcher 3 thread made me remember the original Rainbow Six games or my younger days of playing flight sims where a waypoint actually meant intermediate destinations along the way towards somewhere final. Just like planning a trip in real life it'd be great in more games if I could use the map to plan a series of stops all at once.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Was it Prey that had the occasional PA announcement "A reminder from IT: post-it notes, including hidden ones, are not a secure method for storing your passwords"? Because if anything in Prey is true to life, it's that.

I don't remember that, but overall Prey has such a wonderfully realistic depiction of its corporate environment. There's just such a weird genuine feel to the office dynamics between the NPCs.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't remember that, but overall Prey has such a wonderfully realistic depiction of its corporate environment. There's just such a weird genuine feel to the office dynamics between the NPCs.

The best example of this is in the area where you get the jetpack.
If you climb up and poke around in the scaffolding, there's a stock of foam darts, a dart gun and a declaration of ownership from one of the NPCs.
My first thought was "Yeah, I know the rear end in a top hat who would be up here"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Agents are GO! posted:

MGS3 was a series of room-sized maps seperated by loading screens pretending to be a jungle, Phantom Pain actually having so much real estate and distance with everything being seamless and constant and dynamic adds so much.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mario and Rabbids is such a good drat game, but now that I've got the fourth party member and beaten a boss, I'm really appreciating how complex you can get in a battle. I can't wait to get more experience points so I can buff Luigi the gently caress out and abuse his ability to double jump.

If you have a switch and liked X-Com, it really is just X-Com Lite with a bunch of goofy characters.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

MGS3 was a series of room-sized maps seperated by loading screens pretending to be a jungle, Phantom Pain actually having so much real estate and distance with everything being seamless and constant and dynamic adds so much.

They're good games, Mann.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

I was referring to the "guerilla warfare thing" having been started by MGS3 10 years ago, and how it makes Wildlands even more pathetic. Not ripping on MGS5.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Isn't Wildlands Ubisoft? Given the choice, always assume they will disappoint and under-deliver rather than surprise and over-deliver.

I don't know why people are excited about their new pirate game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pook Good Mook posted:

Isn't Wildlands Ubisoft? Given the choice, always assume they will disappoint and under-deliver rather than surprise and over-deliver.

Isn't it just the black flag thing? I only watched half the trailer and it looked like it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pook Good Mook posted:

Because the naval combat in ACIII, and just plain general piratical gameplay in AC's IV and Rogue, was fantastic fun. People have been hoping for a non-AC Pirate game with that gameplay since ACIII, so they're excited to finally get it.

And fervently hoping there's some kind of single-player campaign and not just freemium multiplayer.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

In Bioshock Infinite, even some of the ordinary human-sized enemies can get annoyingly bullet-spongeish. This bothered me a lot less once I realized you can use the Bucking Bronco (launch enemies into the air) & Charge (ram enemies far away) vigors to send them blasting off again, Team Rocket style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the note of passwords, there's a great little moment in Shadowrun: Dragonfall. One early quest has you infiltrating a run-down motel, and you can find the motel administration computer on the second floor. It's password protected and you won't find the password anywhere, and you can easily finish the quest without it. But it's not hard to guess the password - it's "admin."