Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

I wanna hope eventually that mess will get untangled like it did with System Shock 2, for a long while you couldn't buy it anywhere either for the same kind of reason, the ownership was in limbo between I forget who and then some clearing house.

I believe the issue with old Looking Glass games was that some of them ended up being owned by some random insurance company after the studio folded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just tried out NOLF and the team did a great job optimizing the game for modern machines.

There's a widescreen patch and it stretches the screen out for monitors. Consequently, you can tell even at the intro that the game was designed with specific aspect ratios in mind and the text is microscopic in menus.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An annoying thing about NOLF 1 is that the stealth is pretty much optional until a late game level where you're sneaking through an office that is full of people. If you get caught on that stage you have to reload.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
that sounds bad, but the early part is pretty good. it's going for an austin powers vibe and the tutorial is probably the most newbie friendly i've ever seen in a game.

one of the basic tutorials is to teach you how to skip cutscenes.

and the limited dialog choices actually offer help for new players by calling shots and telling you where enemies appear onscreen.

also, having a physical homebase with a tutorial level designed to teach you how to read signs and navigate in 3d is cool and reminds me of deus ex's tutorials.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NOLF 2 is pretty much better than the first game in every way. It also has some really fun setpiece levels, like one where you're in a house that is being sucked up into a tornado.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Action Tortoise posted:

woah. when did this happen?

i've been wanting to play this game for, like, ever.

there are a poo poo ton of game series coming back i wasn't expecting.

did y'all know fear effect was coming back?

I thought the Fear Effect kickstarter failed and the series was gonna stay dead on the ps1? I loved those games

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm playing the new XCOM addon, War of the Chosen, and I don't think I particularly like the way they implemented the new miniboss-enemies. The thing with XCOM is that while it's usually quite deadly and you can quickly lose guys, you generally have the opportunity to minimise the risks you're taking and only expose yourself when you're ready to take on the enemy. However, the minibosses are so ludicrously mobile that this doesn't really apply any more. Doesn't matter how carefully you set up your squad, they can just cover half the map in one move and shoot one of them in the back. It's particularly bad with the one that both regenerates health each turn and gains shields anytime you take a shot at him and miss. So all he needs to do when wounded is gently caress off away from your squad and whoops, there goes the progress you've been making against him the last few rounds.

Basically, their toolsets are so powerful that it rarely ever feels like I'm legitimately overcoming them through superior tactics. Instead when I do take them down, it's more like the AI let me win by intentionally playing suboptimally and making errors it didn't need to. Perhaps it gets better later on when you've better tech, but during the T1 phase of the game it's pretty unsatisfying.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Perestroika posted:

Basically, their toolsets are so powerful that it rarely ever feels like I'm legitimately overcoming them through superior tactics. Instead when I do take them down, it's more like the AI let me win by intentionally playing suboptimally and making errors it didn't need to. Perhaps it gets better later on when you've better tech, but during the T1 phase of the game it's pretty unsatisfying.
They don't really sound any different from the monster dudes who got like five moves a turn and were complete garbage to fight, honestly. Everything I hear about the expansion makes it sound absolutely not worth the absurd over pricing this late since the release of the game, given how cheap the game can be gotten for.

Anyway, how easy Prey can get kind of bogs it down a bit. You can learn to make basically any item in the game, and resources aren't even an issue since you can just pile up corpses and objects in a corner, chuck a recycler at them and get a decent amount of resources out of that even if you've stripped an area clean of items. As a result it feels like I have nearly unlimited ammo, the weapons I use most are already fully upgraded and I'm just throwing upgrades at whatever seems interesting and I have so many neuro modes everything useful is maxed and I'm just seeing what might be fun now.

At one point some giant hell beast of an alien showed up and tried to murder me. It was even called "Nightmare" but I just kind of flew up to a ledge, because my jump is like a billion feet high now, and shot it with my death laser until it exploded without ever hitting me.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I bought XCOM ages ago and bounced off it because I like to perfect these kinds of games and that's not really what XCOM is all about. I decided to suck it up and try to play it and it's pretty fun, but the base building side is kinda poo poo. To get satellites up you need to make satellites, which take 20 days to build. And you also need satellite uplinks to have capacity to actually launch those satellites and the uplinks take 14 days. Oh and the satellites are best launched on the last day of the month so that's another 28-31 day timer to take into account. Then of course you need to dig space for and have power for the uplinks. All of which take time. And everything takes money of course.

The opening period just feels like I'm juggling a bunch of loving timers and calculating if I'm likely to have the money to afford to build the building I'll need to start building in 6 days so it's ready in the 20 days the satellites I'm deciding how many to build now will actually be available. The tactical layer is the meat of the game, the strategic layer should provide the meta-failstate so you can afford to lose individual missions, and to also let you customise your progress. It shouldn't be this fiddly piece of poo poo I'm looking up interrelated timers for and calculating expected future earnings to coincide with build times. poo poo is more needlessly complicated than any 4X building system.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Len posted:

I thought the Fear Effect kickstarter failed and the series was gonna stay dead on the ps1? I loved those games

maybe, i saw a teaser and the animations definitely felt unpolished the way i see some kickstarter projects

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Perestroika posted:

The alien rulers but worse

Buddy, I feel you. Jesus how did they make something worse than the alien rulers?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally got around to beating the final level on world 2 on Stitch Experiment 626 (Hotfoot). God that levels annoying, it's the first level that I decided "gently caress the squid robots, it's bad enough just navigating this place." It's all swings across lava pits with very very little solid ground. Some of it is fairly interesting like when you get to a facility type room halfway through but it's just not a fun level. I was fine with all the other levels thus far, this one just stood out as too long and hard to navigate. I did manage to get all the DNA in that level though, so yay! Will not go back to that level again though, the secrets only unlock movie clips anyway...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Perestroika posted:

I'm playing the new XCOM addon, War of the Chosen, and I don't think I particularly like the way they implemented the new miniboss-enemies. The thing with XCOM is that while it's usually quite deadly and you can quickly lose guys, you generally have the opportunity to minimise the risks you're taking and only expose yourself when you're ready to take on the enemy. However, the minibosses are so ludicrously mobile that this doesn't really apply any more. Doesn't matter how carefully you set up your squad, they can just cover half the map in one move and shoot one of them in the back. It's particularly bad with the one that both regenerates health each turn and gains shields anytime you take a shot at him and miss. So all he needs to do when wounded is gently caress off away from your squad and whoops, there goes the progress you've been making against him the last few rounds.

Glad I held off on that. That is one expensive expansion pack. And more bosses with bullshit powers is like the last thing that game needed.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
gently caress the Defiled Pthumeria chalice dungeon in Bloodborne. I wanted to do the Yharnam fight and was all "well chalice dungeons aren't great but they're not tough" but holy poo poo Defiled Pthumeria is terrible. You have half health, and all the bosses in it do full late game damage. Also they're ones you've fought before so they're not in the least bit interesting. I eventually got to Yharnam, but god the bosses in that dungeon were just a slog of baiting out safe attacks to chip away their health only to die in one hit from a misread move halfway through.

Also twice had bosses in the chalice dungeons just glitch out, and one of those in a way that rendered the fight unwinnable. Chalice dungeons are garbage.

TGLT has a new favorite as of 06:32 on Sep 2, 2017

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

TGLT posted:

Chalice dungeons are garbage.

Yup. I hated that they gated some of the lore/story behind the lovely chalice dungeons.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

kazil posted:

Yup. I hated that they gated some of the lore/story behind the lovely chalice dungeons.

Don't forget that's also where you gotta go for the good blood gems. Or if you want the beast claws, or any of the variant weapons with different sockets.

Also I found a locked door in a hallway, and then an open doorway a little further down the hallway that led to a small offshoot hallway that looped back to the other side of the locked door. There was nothing in this tiny little hallway, it was just some bullshit for nothing.

It's a real shame too because Yharnam and the other chalice unique boss fights are cool.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

kazil posted:

What lore and story is there

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Digirat posted:

An ancient civilization and the Queen of Yarnham I believe.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Other than the boss of the premade pthumeru depth 5 dungeon which is not much of an experience, the dungeons themselves are just randomly generated and separate content. That includes the premades which are the same as root dungeons but with all the loot manually changed (largely removed) for some reason, and there is next to no reason to slog through them unless you're going to do root dungeons or badly want the beast claws, in which case you can stop halfway through depth 4

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
XCom 2: Stun lancers

gently caress them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Titanfall 2 loves to throw you into the same frontier defense map three times in a row, which is not cool when you can't see what map it is until it's already loaded everyone in, and leaving before the game has started still hits you with a matchmaking timeout

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like that one of the mystical macguffins in Rise of the Tomb Raider is a Roman Dodecahedron

These things are a big archaeological mystery as no-one can figure out what the hell they were used for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I like that one of the mystical macguffins in Rise of the Tomb Raider is a Roman Dodecahedron

These things are a big archaeological mystery as no-one can figure out what the hell they were used for.

Didn't nuWolf have one of these as well, or am I mis-remembering?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

tight aspirations posted:

The torque weapon is the same shape but significantly bigger I think.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

tight aspirations posted:

It did!
Lots of those in that underwater vault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VBjYV3LtE0

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Another thing for prey; it'd be nice if the game wasn't so inconsistent about quest markers. I don't need to know that the big machine is the machine I need to interact with. It's the only machine like that. Know what would be nice prey? A marker to show me where this dude is. He's in loving space. "drift around in space for a few hours until you find this one corpse floating out on the edge of your infinite skybox" isn't worth any reward. gently caress you.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Another thing for prey; it'd be nice if the game wasn't so inconsistent about quest markers. I don't need to know that the big machine is the machine I need to interact with. It's the only machine like that. Know what would be nice prey? A marker to show me where this dude is. He's in loving space. "drift around in space for a few hours until you find this one corpse floating out on the edge of your infinite skybox" isn't worth any reward. gently caress you.

You can tag anyone at security terminals.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sininu posted:

You can tag anyone at security terminals.

That doesn't always work though. Like I have another quest to find a guy and every time I tag him the marker doesn't show up and the tracking quest goes away.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

TGLT posted:

Don't forget that's also where you gotta go for the good blood gems. Or if you want the beast claws, or any of the variant weapons with different sockets.
Or the high-end runes! I did Defiled Phtumeria once on my way to earning a Platinum on the game, but never again. I have the file with them unlocked if I feel like running an FRC depth 5, but otherwise there's no reason to go deeper than you need for the Beast Claw or the Madman's equipment set.

Meanwhile in Bioshock Infinite, I can't believe they want you to go through the mess of hot bullshit that is the fight with Lady Comstock's ghost 3 goddamn times. I have a hard time believing their playtesters didn't just enjoy the fight--we live in a vast & infinite universe after all--they loved it so much they reported, "yes, doing this exact thing two more times while working a fetch quest is cool and good."

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

Digirat posted:

Major Bloodborne spoilers:
https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwjWOy6ioVHI

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The Titans in World of Warcraft -- giant metal beings based upon Greek/Roman and Norse mythology -- use these things as floating computers and laser assault drones.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Digirat posted:

If you don't read or watch people talking about the games lore then I think the chalice dungeons are the only way to find out that the pale ghost woman you see at the end of the main game is the queen of the ancient Pthumerians, and that the main city in the game was named after her

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

After reading that, all I can imagine is some alien race thousands of years in the future digging up the Earth after World War Trump and finding fidget spinners. "They must have been for something, they're everywhere! And some of them were clearly highly valued, and made of expensive materials."

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Futuresight posted:

I bought XCOM ages ago and bounced off it because I like to perfect these kinds of games and that's not really what XCOM is all about. I decided to suck it up and try to play it and it's pretty fun, but the base building side is kinda poo poo. To get satellites up you need to make satellites, which take 20 days to build. And you also need satellite uplinks to have capacity to actually launch those satellites and the uplinks take 14 days. Oh and the satellites are best launched on the last day of the month so that's another 28-31 day timer to take into account. Then of course you need to dig space for and have power for the uplinks. All of which take time. And everything takes money of course.

The opening period just feels like I'm juggling a bunch of loving timers and calculating if I'm likely to have the money to afford to build the building I'll need to start building in 6 days so it's ready in the 20 days the satellites I'm deciding how many to build now will actually be available. The tactical layer is the meat of the game, the strategic layer should provide the meta-failstate so you can afford to lose individual missions, and to also let you customise your progress. It shouldn't be this fiddly piece of poo poo I'm looking up interrelated timers for and calculating expected future earnings to coincide with build times. poo poo is more needlessly complicated than any 4X building system.

The base building is poo poo but you could just not optimize any of that poo poo and you'll still do fine. Seriously, everything you posted about is optional and sounds tedious as gently caress.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
the dodecahedrons are obviously like ancient fleshlights

the different sized holes are for different size dicks

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Well I really suck at Nier Automata - just died right at the start, to the two digging machines and got ending W. Guess I'll try again later :v: Never even learned how to save :P BTW I've just got it and know little about it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Well I really suck at Nier Automata - just died right at the start, to the two digging machines and got ending W. Guess I'll try again later :v: Never even learned how to save :P BTW I've just got it and know little about it.

The game starts you off using a special Auto Heal chip, which automatically uses a heal item if your HP drops below a certain value (20% I think). This is all fine until the big end boss thing, who can do more than 20% of your damage in a single blow, killing you before the auto-heal triggers. If you use the DPAD you can heal manually, which makes staying alive much easier.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Thanks for telling me about the D-Pad, the game hadn't got around to it yet. The way that they fight actually reminds me of the giant robot in the movie-based Incredibles game (The one that isn't Rise of the Underminer), which of course gets harder to fight as the game progresses, and by the end it is throwing vertical and horizontal blades at you that are really hard to dodge, just like this boss.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sininu posted:

It did!
Lots of those in that underwater vault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VBjYV3LtE0

I adore Wolfenstein TNO but that vault was kind of a disappointment. They build it up as some amazing treasure trove of gifts from God that is beyond human comprehension, something so rich with knowledge and power that the Nazis finding one of the lesser ones gave them enough super technology to single-handedly win the war and leap to levels of technological advancement beyond even what we have almost a century later, so securely hidden that you have to spend several missions getting access to one at the bottom of the ocean...and all you get is a brief environmental puzzle followed by single small room with a bomb, an Iron Man suit that you never get to actually use, and a battery hidden behind a switch-flipping puzzle.

I do admire them in the fiction, at least. At first I was kind of :rolleyes: about a secret society of Jewish mystics being essentially Dwarves but the myth of the Nazis being super-scientist is one that is still really prevalent despite being completely untrue and it was a pretty inspired way of undermining that; not only did they steal all of their technology, they don't understand how any of it works to the point where they've actively sickening and killing huge swaths of their own population with super concrete and not even realizing it.

Nuebot posted:

That doesn't always work though. Like I have another quest to find a guy and every time I tag him the marker doesn't show up and the tracking quest goes away.

You might have the marker for the personnel locator turned off. Prey doesn't let you disable quest markers in the options menu like Bioshock and Deus Ex did but you can manually toggle the ones for each quest in the Objectives screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

I do admire them in the fiction, at least. At first I was kind of :rolleyes: about a secret society of Jewish mystics being essentially Dwarves but the myth of the Nazis being super-scientist is one that is still really prevalent despite being completely untrue and it was a pretty inspired way of undermining that; not only did they steal all of their technology, they don't understand how any of it works to the point where they've actively sickening and killing huge swaths of their own population with super concrete and not even realizing it.
I always found it like, rather uncomfortable, like if I had read "The Jews have a secret society that hoards secret super-technology away from the rest of the world that's powerful enough to take it over!" I would not think that this was meant to reflect well on them or portray them as victims.