Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
The Worst Game I Own

One of the hallmarks of game nights at Kevin’s was that, much like Forrest Gump’s infamous box of chocolates, you never quite knew what you were going to get. Although, in our case some of the chocolates were poison. Over the many years that we had been regularly gaming together, there was always a healthy mix of games that were legitimately good, such as Le Havre and Race for the Galaxy, games that we initially believed to be good but later turned out to be pretty bad, such as Catan and Munchkin, and finally the special little treats sitting at the bottom of the proverbial barrel.

Occasionally Kevin would plop a game down on the table that would cause us to look at each other with suspicious glances. These were the games that you could absolutely judge by their cover, which usually featured Cthulhu, a Zombie, or a cat. And while it’s entirely possible that Kevin thought “Kittens in a Blender” would be a good time, I can’t shake the idea that he took a little bit of joy inflicting such poor designs upon those of us at the table. It’s like when one buys cans of Moxie to trick their friends into drinking it.

There was, however, one game in particular that stood out from the rest. I use the term “game” as loosely as possible, as it was more akin to grade school logic puzzles. This game, Dark Stories, is merely a deck of cards with a seemingly simplistic murder mystery on each one, which the players have to figure out with a series of yes/no questions.

You may have been presented with similar puzzles when you were younger. “Dave comes home to find his two best friends dead on the floor. What happened?” Players then ask questions to the person who read the initial card in an attempt to figure out the details of how this scene came to be. In the example above, it turns out that Dave’s friends were his fish that jumped out of the tank. It goes downhill from there, I promise.

And that’s all there is to it. No score, no real structure, just a few pure emotions: obsessive curiosity on the part of those trying to figure it out, and pure rage when they eventually give up and are told the solution. It’s a terrible experience from every perspective with virtually no redeeming qualities as a game or even as an activity. Yet, here I sit, in a room festooned with games from floor to ceiling, and my eyes keep slipping back to it.

You see, nearly a year before Kevin passed, he had expressed his desire for me to take care of his rather large game collection if something ever happened to him. I was honored, but to be perfectly honest my mind almost immediately brushed it away. Kevin had always had some lingering health issues, but he never really opened up about them and I certainly never thought that his life was in any sort of danger. Unfortunately those health issues were a lot more serious than he let on, as I found out over the next year.

In July, I found out that Kevin was back in the hospital, as he mentioned as much when he cancelled on our weekly Game of Thrones viewing. This wasn’t particularly unusual, but when I texted him a few days later to see if he was back home, he immediately called me, something that he never did. He told me this time was different, and it wasn’t good. He wanted me to pass the word around to our friends, and for the first time ever he wanted me to come visit him in the hospital.

Elizabeth and I were at the hospital the next afternoon, and there’s really no way to prepare yourself to see a dying friend. Up until that point, in all the years I had known him, I had always seen him as happy and friendly, quick to make a joke or pull up a ridiculous song on his phone. But now, faced with the potential of having his last days be in a hospital bed, he was completely downtrodden. I asked him if there was anything from his condo that I could bring him, like his Switch, and he responded that he didn’t want to start something that he knew he wasn’t going to be able to finish. I had always thought that it was hyperbole that words could hit someone like a punch to the gut, but now it’s the truth.

Mercifully, the hospital allowed him to go home, so that he could die with dignity. And for a solid two weeks he was in pretty decent spirits. He was able to walk around, have visitors, get in a final roleplaying session with longtime friends, and one last shot at Fury of Dracula with myself and a few others. The doctors had given him a timeline as short as few days, but he fought for 3 weeks before his body finally succumbed to more than 30 years of battling complications from leukemia.

People grieve in a multitude of ways, and I needed to keep my mind occupied. Thankfully, I had a task, a mission, a directive with which I could accomplish some good. During the week before his funeral, Elizabeth and I were able to clean up and move 5 carloads of games and miniatures, which represented a decent portion of his overall collection. My goal was to let each of our close friends choose one game to remember Kevin by, preferably one of the infamously terrible ones. The remaining games and miniatures we’d be selling to local game groups, or online if necessary, in order to help his family.

Camp Grizzly, Unspeakable Words, Bang!, Betrayal. The hits were all there and various friends scooped them up lovingly. It was agreed upon almost immediately that we would have an annual Terrible Games Night in his honor. As for my pick, I couldn’t settle for merely bad. I wanted the most awful game in the collection with which to remember him by. It was a pretty easy choice: the epitome of Kevin was clearly Dark Stories.

It sits on my shelf now, never to move from my collection, a tribute to the strongest person I have ever met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

COOL CORN posted:

Is Great Western Trail good? It's rated super high on BGG but I never see anything about it. It looks like a tweaked and rethemed Caylus, which I'm down with.

It benefits from BGG hype. I think the reviews from more critical players is mixed. It's not a bad game, but it seems a little kitchen-sink with mechanics and the perception is best strategy is ignoring most tactics and bum-rushing to get to the end of the trail.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

COOL CORN posted:

Is Great Western Trail good? It's rated super high on BGG but I never see anything about it. It looks like a tweaked and rethemed Caylus, which I'm down with.

It's one of me and my wife's favorite euros.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I taught and played Inis for the first time last night, and had a blast. One issue everyone, including myself had trouble with was accurately keeping track of who was chieftan of which areas. Since it switches as soon as one person has more clans in a territory, but the advantage card doesn't change till the assembly phase, that isn't a good way. Anyone have suggestions for this? I was considering possibly 3D printing a series of coins or flat symbols with the name of the territory on them, but that would end up being a lot of design work.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I doubt that any of those solutions would be better than looking at the territories you care about and counting the clans there. It feels like, if I had a list of territories I'm chieftain of in front of me, it wouldn't help because I'd still need to look at the board to see where they are, and what other clans are there, and what are the neighbouring territories etc.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Goddammit, I was not ready for this post.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Some Numbers posted:

Goddammit, I was not ready for this post.

If it makes you feel any better, we've already sold about $1400 worth of games, and we still have a few stacks left. I also haven't tried to move the Heroclix yet, as their value seems kinda dubious even with some of the bigger models. And the 40k stuff could be worth a small fortune, given the size of the armies and the fact that they're painted.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

it's not like Caylus at all but it's very good, one of my favorite eurogames right now. it's an engine-builder with deckbuilding and rondel building and a lot of very different engines to assemble, plus it's got some nice tactical decision-making where your best path through the board can change a lot from lap to lap depending on your hand. Plays best at 3 or 4, I think the cow blitz strategy is probably too good at 2p when there's fewer buildings on the board.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Big McHuge posted:

The Worst Game I Own

It sits on my shelf now, never to move from my collection, a tribute to the strongest person I have ever met.

This is fantastic man. Thanks for sharing with us, and I hope you shared it with all of his gaming friends as well.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Dancer posted:

I doubt that any of those solutions would be better than looking at the territories you care about and counting the clans there. It feels like, if I had a list of territories I'm chieftain of in front of me, it wouldn't help because I'd still need to look at the board to see where they are, and what other clans are there, and what are the neighbouring territories etc.

The issue with this is that if 3 players are in a territory, and player A is chieftain with 3 clans, B and C with 2 each. If somehow play A goes down to 2, 1 or 0 clans in that territory he still remains the chieftain since there's a tie with the remaining players. So just looking at the board doesn't always accurately represent who the chieftain could be.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Bottom Liner posted:

This is fantastic man. Thanks for sharing with us, and I hope you shared it with all of his gaming friends as well.

Except the rear end in a top hat who stole those games.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I feel like every few months I read this just because I love it so much.

Behold: the best game review on BGG
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/940888/life-altering-game-deserves-kind-session-report

Warning, it's basically a novella. But it's such a good read.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

I think it's more of a complaint about how it's now AEG's Munchkin, with god knows how many different reskins that are regularly shoved down the gullet of players/FLGS everywhere.

Love Letter is the old new Munchkin; the new new Munchkin is Codenames, and Vlaada's the new Steve Jackson.

Big McHuge posted:

Occasionally Kevin would plop a game down on the table that would cause us to look at each other with suspicious glances. These were the games that you could absolutely judge by their cover, which usually featured Cthulhu, a Zombie, or a cat.

Ok, your posts are starting to get really depressing.

(But seriously, thanks for posting, and I would totally buy your book about your friendship if you wrote such a thing.)

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Tales of Woe posted:

it's not like Caylus at all but it's very good, one of my favorite eurogames right now. it's an engine-builder with deckbuilding and rondel building and a lot of very different engines to assemble, plus it's got some nice tactical decision-making where your best path through the board can change a lot from lap to lap depending on your hand. Plays best at 3 or 4, I think the cow blitz strategy is probably too good at 2p when there's fewer buildings on the board.

I tried the cow blitz strategy against my wife last game and she still squeaked out a 4 point win by amassing objective cards and taking all of the train master tiles I think they are called. Although I think the cow blitz is a very fun strategy.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Double post but my wife got this message from someone that follows her instagram where she posts all her board game pictures:

Hey! I have a question about games. My brother's birthday is coming up. He loves Catan, and I was thinking about getting him an expansion, but I have been seeing all these awesome looking games on your Instagram. Do you have a recommendation for a game similar to Catan, or even just a really good table top game? I think one reason we all love Catan is because the rules are fairly easy and a lot of us have attention issues. 😛 Any tips would be awesome!

My first thought was Splendor, Ticket to Ride and maybe Century Spice Road.

Any goon advice would be helpful.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Rad Valtar posted:

Double post but my wife got this message from someone that follows her instagram where she posts all her board game pictures:

Hey! I have a question about games. My brother's birthday is coming up. He loves Catan, and I was thinking about getting him an expansion, but I have been seeing all these awesome looking games on your Instagram. Do you have a recommendation for a game similar to Catan, or even just a really good table top game? I think one reason we all love Catan is because the rules are fairly easy and a lot of us have attention issues. 😛 Any tips would be awesome!

I'd recommend Splendor too.

Big McHuge posted:

If it makes you feel any better, we've already sold about $1400 worth of games, and we still have a few stacks left. I also haven't tried to move the Heroclix yet, as their value seems kinda dubious even with some of the bigger models. And the 40k stuff could be worth a small fortune, given the size of the armies and the fact that they're painted.

Got a list to look at for some goons to offload to?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/940888/life-altering-game-deserves-kind-session-report

It's the best AAR, but I misremembered it as being World In Flames.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rad Valtar posted:

I've seen Dominion clicking with lots of casual game players lately.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rad Valtar posted:

It depends what they like about Catan.

Do they like rolling dice and getting resources to cash in? Maybe Machi Koro or Dice City or King of Tokyo/New York.

Do they like collecting sets of things and turning them in to get stuff? Splendor. Ticket to Ride if they also like building routes and cutting people off, Century: Spice Road if they also like collecting cards.

...can't think of anything easy if they like the trading aspect, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Glazius posted:

...can't think of anything easy if they like the trading aspect, though.

Bohnanza

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

kinkouin posted:

Got a list to look at for some goons to offload to?

We're going to give our local groups a few more days to buy things in order to save on shipping. But after that, if there's still a quite a bit left I'll post a list. If there's only a few we'll likely donate them to a local children's hospital.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

Best session report is amun re, though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CaptainRightful posted:

I've got 55 board games right now (not including expansions) and I'm already at the stage where I'm trying to get rid of the rarely played ones before I buy new ones. My partner made a good point: "If these are your favorite games, don't you want to keep playing them to get better instead of constantly learning new ones?" And she's right, I've had other (more expensive, unfortunately) hobbies that I pulled back from when I realized I was becoming a collector more than a user.

Yeah, I'm doing the same thing (with a smaller collection, 25 ). Want to have 1 great game of each time, offload the rest (so Puerto Rico and Agricola need to go the way of the Dodo) and then bling these out to maximise play-ability (Poker chips to replace paper money, custom inserts etc).

Trying to play everything I have twice before buying a new game but I just violated that rule and impulse bought Star Wars Rebellion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rad Valtar posted:

I would recommend Celestia. The only thing you need to learn in the base game is the four special cards and the Spyglass. Everything else is "stay or jump?", "match these symbols" and "it's the end of a voyage, do I have 50 points".

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Big McHuge posted:

The Worst Game I Own

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Kevin sounded like a helluva guy.

Did you ever sort out that idiot who was trying to rip him off?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Spikes32 posted:

The issue with this is that if 3 players are in a territory, and player A is chieftain with 3 clans, B and C with 2 each. If somehow play A goes down to 2, 1 or 0 clans in that territory he still remains the chieftain since there's a tie with the remaining players. So just looking at the board doesn't always accurately represent who the chieftain could be.

No it doesn't the chieftain is always the player with the most clans in the area. If there's a tie then no one is the chieftain. The only thing what what you describe happens is with the Brenn which stays where it is if no one is the chieftain of the capital territory.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CaptainRightful posted:

It's the best AAR, but I misremembered it as being World In Flames.

No but this is the best quote about World in Flames

quote:

I had a friend who had the same problem. His wife filed for divorce and one of her claims was his games (and opponents) were more important to him.

He found out about a month before the final hearing that he was going to lose the house so he got a one month continuance just so we could complete the 5 player campaign game of WiF taking place in his spare bedroom.

This is the best wargame ever produced.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

No but this is the best quote about World in Flames

That spare bedroom must have been locked up tight!

I heard a story on a podcast or here or somewhere about an angry wife who emptied all the counters out from a bunch of wargames into a giant pile and then poured honey all over them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Sleekly posted:

That spare bedroom must have been locked up tight!

I heard a story on a podcast or here or somewhere about an angry wife who emptied all the counters out from a bunch of wargames into a giant pile and then poured honey all over them.

I'm hyperventilating right now

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Rumda posted:

No it doesn't the chieftain is always the player with the most clans in the area. If there's a tie then no one is the chieftain. The only thing what what you describe happens is with the Brenn which stays where it is if no one is the chieftain of the capital territory.

What happens if you fully leave an area but no one else moves in?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The giant pile is bad enough but the honey is just inspired

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Spikes32 posted:

What happens if you fully leave an area but no one else moves in?

No chieftan is a valid result I think

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

It is nearly Autumn in this year of our lord, 2017, and, yet, do I still see a glowing recommendation for Love Letter in the OP?

There's plenty of better 15min or 30min games. But I think Love Letter is still one of the best 5 minute games.

Rad Valtar posted:

If your main issue is attention issues, Carcassonne is really simple. Otherwise, I'd go with Bohnanza .

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

The Narrator posted:

No chieftan is a valid result I think

I'm confused then why there are two victory conditions, one which requires you to be chieftain in six areas and one which requires you to be present in six areas. The second is so much easier than the first.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

I'm confused then why there are two victory conditions, one which requires you to be chieftain in six areas and one which requires you to be present in six areas. The second is so much easier than the first.

It's Chieftain of six enemy clans. Which, means if you have 7 clans in one place, and an opponent has 6. You're winning.
Or, if you have 4. And two enemies have 3.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Spikes32 posted:

One of the conditions is being the chief in areas with 6 or more enemies. So if all 4 players are in a territory that counts as 3 to whoever is chieftan.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Papes posted:

One of the conditions is being the chief in areas with 6 or more enemies. So if all 4 players are in a territory that counts as 3 to whoever is chieftan.

I completely misinterpreted that victory condition! Wow thanks guys I'm going to get so much flak for this the next time we play haha.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish more board game publishers would hire technical writers that specialize in their language because I fell into all the same trappings in the first couple plays. At least put a glossary of terms in your book.

Clans = a single figure
Chieftain = person with most clans in a single territory, if tied there is no chieftain and the advantage card is returned face up during step 3 (technically speaking everyone discards their advantage cards at the end of a round whether they used it or not but this is an extra step no one does)
Brenn = Chieftain of the capital territory. If there is a tie the Brenn does not change.
Initiator = the person who actually starts combat IE the person whose turn it is. Is not always the person who is actually fighting.
Instigator = the person who will perform the first maneuver. Is not always the person who actually initiated a clash.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

al-azad posted:

I wish more board game publishers would hire technical writers that specialize in their language because I fell into all the same trappings in the first couple plays. At least put a glossary of terms in your book.

Clans = a single figure
Chieftain = person with most clans in a single territory, if tied there is no chieftain and the advantage card is returned face up during step 3 (technically speaking everyone discards their advantage cards at the end of a round whether they used it or not but this is an extra step no one does)
Brenn = Chieftain of the capital territory. If there is a tie the Brenn does not change.
Initiator = the person who actually starts combat IE the person whose turn it is. Is not always the person who is actually fighting.
Instigator = the person who will perform the first maneuver. Is not always the person who actually initiated a clash.

This problem is literally a class I'm teaching next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

CommonShore posted:

This problem is literally a class I'm teaching next week.

Thank you, from all of us who play Level 99 games. (And more, but geez Level 99)