Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I loved Ghosts I-IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
somebody had sold their phonogene before getting my pm at muffs, so now ive got an echophon on the way instead :doh:

ive missed having 2 delays and pitchshifting in my rack since i got rid of clouds but i never rly liked the sound of it that much . . . def prefer modeless devices personally guess we'll see :getin:

e i mean :cmon: its a digital delay with vactrols :3:

byob historian fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 23, 2017

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Been gearing my eurorack setup towards a relatively compact (168hp total+external mixer) livejam-capable rig and it's getting pretty fun! Here's a bit of goa trance for taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pxEjxwnCoA

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i have no takt at all fukk you very much :colbert:

eager to hear what u think about it and how it plays -- what the octatrack does is real nifty but after reading the manual using one seems decidedly buzzicidal 

well im just 2 hours into it, and its been a long time since I've felt as much of a noob as with this thing - but I CAN tell you it is techno incarnate if you want it to be. It's small neat & cute and I think I have the elektron bug. Officially.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hello thread,

Does anyone know of a guide on how to load in patches to the Volca fm from PC? The default ones seem really lovely.

I don't have a direct USB<->MIDI cable but I figured I could route it through something that has both, like my TR-8. cheers

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Hello thread,

Does anyone know of a guide on how to load in patches to the Volca fm from PC? The default ones seem really lovely.

I don't have a direct USB<->MIDI cable but I figured I could route it through something that has both, like my TR-8. cheers

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/129444/

and yes the tr-8 plan sounds technically possible but there's always a good chance for gremlins

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Thank you! MIDI out on the Roland worked for me.

Edit: For anyone else doing the same thing I found the C6 sysex tool from Elektron works just as well as going through the Dexed VST (without having to run a DAW and stuff)

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 24, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

well im just 2 hours into it, and its been a long time since I've felt as much of a noob as with this thing - but I CAN tell you it is techno incarnate if you want it to be. It's small neat & cute and I think I have the elektron bug. Officially.

is it all menuey or is it pagey? i guess im thinking like, some dumb roland 90s bullshit vs an ESQ-1 if thats a fair point of ref -- deep diving or simple button control?

how is it as a sampler? is it good for loops or more for hits?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

is it all menuey or is it pagey? i guess im thinking like, some dumb roland 90s bullshit vs an ESQ-1 if thats a fair point of ref -- deep diving or simple button control?

it's hardly menuey at all, lots of different pages to make edits on but they're all 1-2 pages deep at the most and no complex button presses to get there

for sampling it's better for hits than for loops compared to the octatrack but it can absolutely do loops

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That Digitakt looks cool, reminds me of my MPC 1000, just like, way newer and stuff

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

I'd say the sample import menu is the most pagey out of them all and that even has a shortcut, and like martin said most others are 1-2 deep.

the essence of this thing is pretty much immediacy

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
synthesis

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

ArfJason posted:

synthesis

samplers are kinda sorta diff instruments but they are lotta fun too its fun talkin bout em :colbert:

maybe i will get a digitakt some time im def gon be checkin out vids thanks for all the feedback yall! (oh feedback also is great prob my fave thing about modular is how easy it is to fb anything :allears:)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

samplers are kinda sorta diff instruments but they are lotta fun too its fun talkin bout em :colbert:

maybe i will get a digitakt some time im def gon be checkin out vids thanks for all the feedback yall! (oh feedback also is great prob my fave thing about modular is how easy it is to fb anything :allears:)

i wasnt commenting on anything i just wanted to say synthesis

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

ArfJason posted:

synthesis

amen.

I got bit by DIY hard, I have about half of the MST voice built from kits (still not sure about the oscillator, there's some cool digi oscs out there and noise reap is so cheap) and I signed up for a soldering workshop a local guy is putting on where you leave w/ a Euro format Benjolin.

Now I'm just waiting for the right project to give me practice sourcing my own stuff. I'm thinking about Feedback's 259 clone but I'm afraid that's a lot of stuff for a first oscillator. But then the other things grabbing me in the same way are like Random Source 4U panels or digital oscs with Teensy boards where you gotta build a little stand-off house. So maybe I just have to jump. The on to Yoctos and Navas or maybe SMT stuff. Still not sure if its worth the trouble.

Some questions:

1. Can I use slew to smooth out/de-step digital wavetable oscs?
2. How do you convert a guitar pedal circuit to euro levels? Is it just changing the power? What about audio headroom? I know the general idea I have will work (some PT2399 stuff) but I'm not sure how to phrase that.
3. What do you call the little things that go on top of switches? I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the right term was.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

ArfJason posted:

i wasnt commenting on anything i just wanted to say synthesis

S + S :colbert:

:justpost: 

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

JamesKPolk posted:

amen.

I got bit by DIY hard, I have about half of the MST voice built from kits (still not sure about the oscillator, there's some cool digi oscs out there and noise reap is so cheap) and I signed up for a soldering workshop a local guy is putting on where you leave w/ a Euro format Benjolin.

Now I'm just waiting for the right project to give me practice sourcing my own stuff. I'm thinking about Feedback's 259 clone but I'm afraid that's a lot of stuff for a first oscillator. But then the other things grabbing me in the same way are like Random Source 4U panels or digital oscs with Teensy boards where you gotta build a little stand-off house. So maybe I just have to jump. The on to Yoctos and Navas or maybe SMT stuff. Still not sure if its worth the trouble.

Some questions:

1. Can I use slew to smooth out/de-step digital wavetable oscs?
2. How do you convert a guitar pedal circuit to euro levels? Is it just changing the power? What about audio headroom? I know the general idea I have will work (some PT2399 stuff) but I'm not sure how to phrase that.
3. What do you call the little things that go on top of switches? I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the right term was.

1) a slew is an lpf, so probably, assuming its cutoff goes into audio range
2) audio in euro is 10Vpp, there are many euro pt2399 delays and a number of them are available DIY
3) switchtips is what everybody always called the ones on a guitar :wink: speakin of i found a black one to go on my jazzmaster tucked away in the closet last weekend which was the last piece i needed for it :3: the right switchtips are v important :hai:

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

JamesKPolk posted:

I'm building a Two59 at the moment. It's definitely a big project, and quite expensive. But if you've built a few kits before and are interested in the parts sourcing bit, go for it. A lot of the pads are really close together, but the build docs are really good. It does involve matching some parts and selecting resistors and transistors for a specific wave shape. I got mine with the rare parts kit including those matched parts, so I can't really say how annoying the matching process is.

Otherwise, the Orgone Accumulator sounds right up your alley. It's an easy build, and you'll be hard pressed to find a single oscillator that can make so many different sounds.

(don't get Random Source 4U, the DIY aspect is just attaching pots and jacks. Go Loudest Warning. We need more people. :p )

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

1) a slew is an lpf, so probably, assuming its cutoff goes into audio range
2) audio in euro is 10Vpp, there are many euro pt2399 delays and a number of them are available DIY
3) switchtips is what everybody always called the ones on a guitar :wink: speakin of i found a black one to go on my jazzmaster tucked away in the closet last weekend which was the last piece i needed for it :3: the right switchtips are v important :hai:

Switch tips!!!! thank you. And agreed. Also I think I hit the 'get anal about matching knobs and davies colors' point the other day.

+ solid on slew! I thought that was just the Serge/Stone/Maths style VCS ones for some reason.

On the pedal, I built a pair I like (its a really cool chip) but there's a pedal design I want to try tweaking and I want to figure out the changes I need to do before the ones I want to do. I've got parts and a breadboard and all that, I just don't know what I don't know theory-wise.

good jovi posted:

I'm building a Two59 at the moment. It's definitely a big project, and quite expensive. But if you've built a few kits before and are interested in the parts sourcing bit, go for it. A lot of the pads are really close together, but the build docs are really good. It does involve matching some parts and selecting resistors and transistors for a specific wave shape. I got mine with the rare parts kit including those matched parts, so I can't really say how annoying the matching process is.

Otherwise, the Orgone Accumulator sounds right up your alley. It's an easy build, and you'll be hard pressed to find a single oscillator that can make so many different sounds.

(don't get Random Source 4U, the DIY aspect is just attaching pots and jacks. Go Loudest Warning. We need more people. :p )

Oh awesome, how's it going? I was leaning towards the rare parts kit for exactly that reason. How bad was sourcing the rest of the stuff? I've got an electronics supplier local so things could be worse on that front. I'm okay with close pads and I kind of want something that's not gonna work the first time I fire it up.

Orgone's on my eventual list as well, it was one of the things that got me interested in DIY. I'm a little nervous about the Teensy board stuff but I have a SMT practice kit coming in the mail (in preparation for what I hope will be a batch of Ripples).

I saw some beautiful Loudest Warning Clouds and Orgone panels... What's the deal, is it just a more modular Serge-type standard? Euro with bananas?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my MicroBrute RED. (Also a Beat Buddy if that's your thing.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831727

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

ArfJason posted:

synthesis

Hail Satan.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

All I want to do is run drums through the bitrazer all day. I really like crunchy drums.
https://soundcloud.com/joejoejoejoe-4/craftdayiscanceled

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Nice crunch! Last week I discovered you can use negative voltage on the Bitrazer sample rate to make a decent sample and hold for CV.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
synths are cool

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

So Math posted:

Nice crunch! Last week I discovered you can use negative voltage on the Bitrazer sample rate to make a decent sample and hold for CV.

and last nite i was playin like an SSG wizard using my sport mod as an LPG

S&H ftw :hfive:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ArfJason posted:

synths are cool

amen

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Someone near me is selling a Korg MS-20 Mini (USB version) for $60, which sounds like a pretty great deal. What are people's thoughts on the synth and the price? I have a Minilogue and am wondering if it would be a little redundant.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm wondering what's wrong with it. MS-20 is a fun synth but why is it sixty bucks?

Make sure it actually makes sound though. There was a USB MIDI controller for the soft synth a while back.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Careful, there's the 2004 one that's just a MIDI controller designed for a VST emulation.

Beaten.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
He said he originally bought it on eBay for 200 but I will ask if it's just the MIDI controller.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
For a while that was the going rate because people found out it works with the on the iOS version. Jackfield and all.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

the e352 is really well done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12HtkvRLecg

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbCXA8IHXsE

Just one or two effects...

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
I'm making a one patch drum kit similar to what this guy did here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gipTFNhniMo&t=513s

The issue I'm having is that the keynote modulation, which will serve as the source for many parameters for this kind of patch, defaults to a 6-7 octave range for the full effect to come into play. Take noise, for example, there is a huge range of keys from 0 noise to full noise. The goal is the compress that range so all of the change happens within 2-3 octaves instead. Stacking multiples of the same modulation works, but I run out of slots quickly.

Next, I tried a custom tuning that spans 6 octaves within 24 keys and loaded it via the sysex. Unfortunately it looks like the tuning isn't really affecting the note number as used by the modulations at all. Too bad, this would have been a great solution.

I recently figured something else out. Instead of wasting 4 mod slots on just noise AMT I instead set it up like this

I could set:
MOD 1 to keynote > 127 > Noise AMT
MOD 2 to keynote > 127 > Mod 1 AMT
MOD 3 to keynote > 127 > Mod 1 AMT
MOD 4 to keynote > 127 > Mod 1 AMT

And achieve the desired effect. This lets me go from 0 noise on key one and full noise on key 36. 3 Octaves is good enough.

Now I'm thinking that I could set MOD 1 to something else, other than noise, that I could then link noise and other things to. I'd only have 4 mod slots left still, but they would all be quadrupled and have the same exaggerated range! I thought ENV3 would be a good candidate so I tried something like

MOD 1 to keynote > 127 > ENV 3 AMT
MOD 2 to keynote > 127 > Mod 1 AMT
MOD 3 to keynote > 127 > Mod 1 AMT
MOD 4 to keynote > 127 > Mod 1 AMT

What is strange is that I could ENV3 Destination knob and set it to noise and the effect works as desired but if I set MOD 5 to ENV 3 source and noise as Destination at full amount, it doesn't work.

I feel like I am getting closer to making this work. Looking for ideas. Maybe there is a whole new way to go about achieving this.

Got it somewhat fleshed out in this example here https://clyp.it/rktnyay2 which is just a single patch.
I'd still like to compress that range to make more use of interesting changes between what is essentially the kick into the snare into the high hat as you go up the keys.

E: I also just realized this is the first I've mentioned getting a rev2 in here. Last I commented, I was in the market and unsure what to get. Got rev2, its sick.

Here are some more sounds for anyone interested. All 100% rev2. I know I listened to just about every single example of the rev2 before I bought it. Figured I'd contribute some more sounds.

https://clyp.it/hijvhqmb
https://clyp.it/kbeqqkv3
https://clyp.it/0epkcud1
https://soundcloud.com/pkmood/getting-into-new-synth

philkop fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 30, 2017

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Nice, glad that worked out for you - I think that's closer to your reqs than the Deepmind.

Sounds like a DSI mod matrix! To shed some light, the key source pulls the MIDI note number (or equiv from the keyboard), not the pitch played - hence the scale weirdness. The Env 3 thing feels familiar, I think it has to do with the desgination ENV 3 amount being the value of the dedicated Env 3 mod slot rather than like an assignable one or a variable you can plug in, but don't quote me (I don't remember exactly what I did to resolve). It's something like that though - two similar-looking values are in fact completely independent.

I think you're "correct" on the Noise/Mod amount thing, it's just not an ideal routing for this synth. http://www.carbon111.com/evolverguide.pdf might be worth a read, different synth obviously but basically the same patching + mod logic. I found DSI manuals to be great references but difficult to read through + understand.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

JamesKPolk posted:

Nice, glad that worked out for you - I think that's closer to your reqs than the Deepmind.

Sounds like a DSI mod matrix! To shed some light, the key source pulls the MIDI note number (or equiv from the keyboard), not the pitch played - hence the scale weirdness. The Env 3 thing feels familiar, I think it has to do with the desgination ENV 3 amount being the value of the dedicated Env 3 mod slot rather than like an assignable one or a variable you can plug in, but don't quote me (I don't remember exactly what I did to resolve). It's something like that though - two similar-looking values are in fact completely independent.

I think you're "correct" on the Noise/Mod amount thing, it's just not an ideal routing for this synth. http://www.carbon111.com/evolverguide.pdf might be worth a read, different synth obviously but basically the same patching + mod logic. I found DSI manuals to be great references but difficult to read through + understand.

Nice, good lead. I've read through the REV@ manual a few times but it doesn't go in depth in these kind of things. Never thought to check their other synth's.

Loving this thing so far. I had to buy it without trying it but I did get to play a DM12 in store. It wasn't bad at all but it had the same sound characteristic about it I didn't like in a lot of the demo videos. I liked the underlying tonality of every sound I heard of the Rev2 (and prophet08) period. Had to go with my heart on it. Also, while the DM12 effects were way more in depth, I decided I wasn't really looking for a lot of in depth effects on my keyboard. The more simplified fx of the rev2 were more my style and sound great IMO.

If anyone is curious about anything specific on the rev2 I'd be happy to give some insight or record a certain sound. I did some mega research going into it so I know how it is looking for demos of specific things.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Is anyone going to Knobcon next weekend? Or has gone in the past? I'm interested in going and farting around, but I'm wondering how much the ratio of "playing with neat stuff" is to "being hounded by reps before you get a chance to actually mess with stuff."

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

philkop posted:

Loving this thing so far. I had to buy it without trying it but I did get to play a DM12 in store. It wasn't bad at all but it had the same sound characteristic about it I didn't like in a lot of the demo videos.

just out of curiosity, may i ask what it is about the DM12? it aint been much on my radar but hoooooooly poo poo every demo ive heard of their model d has me ready to tell everybody who looks all :confused: "you play a BEHRINGER lolol" when i say i play eurorack

holy cow theyre listing it at $299 now? :getin:

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

just out of curiosity, may i ask what it is about the DM12? it aint been much on my radar but hoooooooly poo poo every demo ive heard of their model d has me ready to tell everybody who looks all :confused: "you play a BEHRINGER lolol" when i say i play eurorack

holy cow theyre listing it at $299 now? :getin:

Hard to explain without using stupid tone words.

Its definitely not a behringer hate thing and I came pretty close to snagging the deepmind but for the money I would have spent I was looking for something that could be my one and only synth. The DM12 could have been that but I've always wanted a prophet and price difference was low enough where I figured I should just make the move towards my dream synth. (I have the 8 voice btw)

Now for some stupid tone words. The DM wasn't bad at all and I was willing to work with it but it had a very clean sound that didn't sit well with me the more I starting looking into the rev2. I had a Roland FA-06 Rompler a little while back and the DM sounds reminded me a lot of those. Kind of like ready made studio quality sounds to fit right into a mix but the Rev2 had a certain edge in its raw sound alone that really drew me in. Even in very simple patches (I've watched tons of demos on both.) Who knows, it could even be the filters. Some of the DM patches I heard that used sweeping filters sounded very spacey and sci-fi while the prophet's would sound more airy and breathy. Playing the DM in person confirmed my feelings even when patching from scratch and turning all of the effects off. I don't give a poo poo about analog vs digital (I was strongly considering a blofeld key as well) or even the filters/osc sounds for that matter, I am just speculating that the fundamental sound difference I hear may be related to the way the difference in the filter but who knows.

There model d looks sick. I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to buy it because I'm done buying anything for a loong while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

rickiep00h posted:

Is anyone going to Knobcon next weekend? Or has gone in the past? I'm interested in going and farting around, but I'm wondering how much the ratio of "playing with neat stuff" is to "being hounded by reps before you get a chance to actually mess with stuff."

I went last year for a couple hours on Sunday. So as far as I saw, it's 100% playing with neat stuff. Nobody's hounding you, they know nobody's there to buy. I'll definitely be going back, I'm hoping to see a bit more 4U.