Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

I finished the game last week and you're going to have to spell out exactly what their characters actually are for me because exact opposite to flower girl is what exactly??

Also I burned through ff7 skipping every random battle & only using the health cheat when I looked like I was in trouble. I also used 3x speed a little but only for some bits of dialogue or long sprints. got a bunch of level 4 limit breaks, did most of the side stuff I remember and I managed to finish the game in a hair over 16 hours. First time round I remember that taking me over 80. Amazing how much padding is in the random battles and needing to grind before bosses.

the random battles take time, sure, but ff7 is a very easy game with no need for grinding.

aerith looks like a demure flower girl, but she isn't. she's kind of bad rear end, and has a history of hardship.
tifa looks like a confident martial arts lady, but she is kinda meek and has some issues.
that's all there is, the translation doesn't really do a good job of solidifying these characters.

E: barret is mr. t
vincent is emo/goth
caith sith is a toy commercial with feelings
yuffie is spunky
cid is a deadbeat narcissist
red 13 is a dog
cloud is a loser who woke up from a coma thinking he was a cool guy, then realizing he wasn't a cool guy.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If I've never played the Yakuza series would it be best to play them in release order? Kinda burned out in open world games in general, with Sleeping Dogs being the last one I liked. But I keep hearing good things about it.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
The speed boost for ff7 speeds up the action but not the game clock.

Everyone spoke about it being a 70+ hour game at release which is probably accurate if you do everything but a semi compotent player will prolly complete the main game in 30-35

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If I've never played the Yakuza series would it be best to play them in release order? Kinda burned out in open world games in general, with Sleeping Dogs being the last one I liked. But I keep hearing good things about it.

Start with 0 unless you really want to play two PS2 games and three PS3 games first.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

i only played yakuza 0, but it's the first chronologically and i didn't have any issues starting there. and there will be remakes of 1 and 2.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cubicle gangster posted:

I finished the game last week and you're going to have to spell out exactly what their characters actually are for me because exact opposite to flower girl is what exactly??

Also I burned through ff7 skipping every random battle & only using the health cheat when I looked like I was in trouble. I also used 3x speed a little but only for some bits of dialogue or long sprints. got a bunch of level 4 limit breaks, did most of the side stuff I remember and I managed to finish the game in a hair over 16 hours. First time round I remember that taking me over 80. Amazing how much padding is in the random battles and needing to grind before bosses.

Aeris is really well-written to a certain extent: she has a real unique voice and her personality shines through really well in all of her scenes. She's flirty and aggressive and she's pretty okay with beating the poo poo out of somebody if she needs to; but she also knows her vulnerabilities. She's basically always one step ahead of Cloud and enjoys mercilessly teasing him. She and Tifa seem to become friends, though this is mostly 'cause Tifa doesn't really pursue Cloud romantically; she's studying him for other reasons, and it's only in Disc 2 that the two start to come together.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yakuza is not open world its only like 16 sq blocks of tokyos red light district and the map is essentially the same in every game its like a stage for the story that you bounce around exploring. Zero has 2 cities for its 2 main characters but its going to feel very different than sleeping dogs. You never drive for instance. Play zero and then kiwami if you want to start.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I kinda want Kiwami but the last time I played Yakuza games within a year of each other I burned out since the map was almost exactly the same in the games I played.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The map being the same is part of the appeal for me. The city is like a character that develops with kiryu over the series

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

The map being the same is part of the appeal for me. The city is like a character that develops with kiryu over the series

Yakuza 4 is a great example of making the most out of limited space. The city never expands, but there's vertical elements to it and the density of the place is deceptive and intriguing. I do wish it wasn't so constrictive at times, but I liked how there was a lot more to see than it initially seems.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

virinvictus posted:

Is DS3+DLC worth the $107 I'm seeing it on the PlayStation store? I'm playing and loving Bloodborne. Or should I start with the base game?

You can wait a little to pull the trigger on the dlc (you get access few areas in and aren't expected to tackle it until maybe 2/3rds through the campaign)

I'm pretty sure youll like DS3 if you enjoyed BB, though sadly I slightly prefer BB. DS3 is a lot bigger and expansive though and multiplayer is waaaay more engaging than it was in BB

Either way you'll want the DLC eventually, the first one is s nice meaty side area and the second one is great as it caps the entire series, making it essential for the full experience imo

So yeah just get it all when you can

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah in my Dark Souls save I think I'm right underneath Ornstein & Smough and probably wont go back and I heard Dark Souls II is basically "more of what you hated and less of what you liked" from Dark Souls, but a lot of youtubers are saying that DS3 is at it's best post-Bloodborne because it has Bloodborne changes to the combat system that make being really aggressive more rewarding.

Basically what i'm saying is gently caress sword & board forever, combat should not be a game of 'Pong' combat should be me dodging through your One Shot Instagib cleave and then severing your cutting you in half.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

Basically what i'm saying is gently caress sword & board forever, combat should not be a game of 'Pong' combat should be me dodging through your One Shot Instagib cleave and then severing your cutting you in half.

Sword and board is good but it's only really good in Dark Souls 1

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Translucent controllers!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just stopping by to let y'all know that Final Fantasy 8 is, in fact, the best Final Fantasy.

Welp, cya

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Montalvo posted:

Just stopping by to let y'all know that Final Fantasy 8 is, in fact, the best Final Fantasy.

Welp, cya

It really is

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!

I would very much like a blue one please

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/01/dead-rising-4-franks-big-package-coming-to-ps4-december-5/

Dead Rising 4 coming this December.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Can we send it back?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ehhh that's okay.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Isn't that the one where Frank West is a *serious character*

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah in my Dark Souls save I think I'm right underneath Ornstein & Smough and probably wont go back and I heard Dark Souls II is basically "more of what you hated and less of what you liked" from Dark Souls, but a lot of youtubers are saying that DS3 is at it's best post-Bloodborne because it has Bloodborne changes to the combat system that make being really aggressive more rewarding.

DS2 rules and you should play it someday because it has a feel and an atmosphere totally unlike any of the others. Whereas DS3 feels like a remix of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne, DS2 ends up being the odd one out and it has a certain charm if you can get into it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Isn't that the one where Frank West is a *serious character*

Its also the one with less interactive environment/items than the first game

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Real hurthling! posted:

Yakuza is not open world its only like 16 sq blocks of tokyos red light district and the map is essentially the same in every game its like a stage for the story that you bounce around exploring. Zero has 2 cities for its 2 main characters but its going to feel very different than sleeping dogs. You never drive for instance. Play zero and then kiwami if you want to start.

I've only played yakuza 0 and the opening 20 minutes or so of Kiwami, but what I'd say it is open world (you can sack off the main quest and do side stuff and wander around pretty much all you want) but its not sandbox like your GTAs or your Sleepy Dogs (there isnt so much of a "make your own fun"/run from the police/manipulate the systems of the game world thing going on). Its a nice tight open world, it feels the right size for the game without being padded and I never felt like it was too small and equally I never got frustrated at having to cross it to find something. I also liked that each chapter added stuff to the open world so that even if you had run around and done everything you could in the map doing more story missions essentially repopulated the map with side stories.

I'd also thoroughly recommend starting with 0, I feel like its done a good job of introducing the characters and the storyline of the series to me. There were one or two parts that were obviously cameos of character who turn up in later games that I didnt know, but I never felt I was missing out on much by starting at 0. I have Kawami sitting ready to be played, but I only technically finished 0 when kiwami hit my doormat, because for some reason the hostess club side activity really clicked with me and I kind of wanted to finish that before doing the last mission, then I got distracted by other games and stopped playing it for a while. Went back and blasted through the last mission this week, leaving a save file from before the mission in case I want to go back and finish side stuff.

The only thing I would say is that I kind of feel like I need to take a bit more of a break before starting Kiwami after finishing 0. The map being the same is good in some ways (I already know my way around) but I kind of feel that if I dont take a break it'll be too much "well this is certainly more Yakuza" rather than "I've missed playing yakuza!" if you see what I mean. Especially as you dont play as Goro Majima in any of the other Yakuza games as far as I know and he was hands down my favourite main character out of the two in the game. Will probably end up doing a similar thing and putting off finishing Kiwami until the next yakuza game is just about out. Yakuza 0 is still pretty much one of my games of the year, and this has been a loving strong year for games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Akuma posted:

DS2 rules and you should play it someday

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SiKboy posted:

Went back and blasted through the last mission this week, leaving a save file from before the mission in case I want to go back and finish side stuff
You can use your "clear" save (that is generated after you beat the game) to go into the "Premium Adventure" mode to finish off side stuff and swap between the characters and change the time of day, you don't need to keep a save before the end.

You can also use Premium Adventure to generate new clear data to be used for New Game+

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
BloodBorne is $7.99 on US PSN today according to Wario64, so have at!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Akuma posted:

You can use your "clear" save (that is generated after you beat the game) to go into the "Premium Adventure" mode to finish off side stuff and swap between the characters and change the time of day, you don't need to keep a save before the end.

You can also use Premium Adventure to generate new clear data to be used for New Game+

Nice, thanks! I assumed Premium Adventure WAS new game+.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

Hm (but did anyone honestly expect Rockstar to not delay the game?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmA6MrX81z4

Yeah, rdr2 was an exception but so few people took that release date seriously that it didn't even seem worth mentioning it as an exception.

The rest were still never 2017 by anyone official however.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Real hurthling! posted:

i just started yakuza 3, it's an interesting game (makes me think of deadly premonition with japanese gangsters instead of shadows), but i feel like playing all the games back to back would get old very fast.

not sure how it stacks up against the others, the first half of the game in Okinawa is kind of slow, but the side stuff is fun at least

Not sure if I'll continue playing the ps3 games in release order or go back and play the original trilogy on ps4...

The "previously on" feature helped getting acquainted with the old characters so that's not a problem.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 1, 2017

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Are you one of the remaining two people in the world not in the Call of Duty beta this weekend? Well guess what? Not anymore!

3L42-BLNG-96HD
5CR3-D9NC-PM62

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

But you can't drop a titan on it!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So really only 2 exclusives this fall, both of which had a predecessor that was a mixed bag...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jabro posted:

Are you one of the remaining two people in the world not in the Call of Duty beta this weekend? Well guess what? Not anymore!

3L42-BLNG-96HD
5CR3-D9NC-PM62

Both of these are taken already :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Honest impressions of Absolver:

No story to speak of. Not even in that "sparse, figure it out yourself, Dark Souls way."

Game is fun. It's a really good concept. It keeps you WANTING to play it...

However:

The controls, performance and camera ALL betray easy play. DOUBLY so when you are teamed up on by 3, 4, 5 NPCs. You are handicapped by bad performance, bad camera, and controls that could be tighter.

Online makes the game richer, but also adds more stutter and freeze.

The gear is extremely boring. Both in look and in stats. More variance would be great.

Where do you get better masks? I found a couple boring ones, one weird Frog ones, and I see dudes with shapes on their head. One with floating, morphing shapes... how?!

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Pablo Gigante posted:

Both of these are taken already :(

I got an extra one, I sent you a PM with the code.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fit em all up in there posted:

I got an extra one, I sent you a PM with the code.

Thank you!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TheDarkFlame posted:

I really want this to be a good game, but I know it's not going to be, if it ever even makes it to being a game. What's the last thing they released about it? I remember a custscene video ages ago, wasn't there alpha gameplay footage or a tech demo or something after that?

I mean, sure, but has Michel Ancel ever made a bad game?

Morby posted:

BloodBorne is $7.99 on US PSN today according to Wario64, so have at!

Jesus tittyfucking christ.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oh, also, Veni Veni Veni and anyone else who is into Catherine, Atlus is teasing a possible sequel or remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Absolver seems alright. Anyone else playing