Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chickenwalker posted:

Has any of that stuff been verified or is this person just drumming up outrage.

No one is drumming up anything.

Bruceski posted:

The main thing I wanna know, if it's true that Harris's trainer thought she wasn't ready and told the director that, did she tell Harris that? Because not doing so seems like a major trust violation in training.

I think we can take that as given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

No one is drumming up anything.

Uh, did ya read the same Twitter link the rest of us did?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Reading up on the news link to the Deadpool 2 story is that there are a number of different takes.

The initial, preliminary report (from mid August) lists this as a fluke accident as it was considered a (relatively) safe stunt.

The Twitter criticism comes out after wards and tries to spin all the blame at the Producers for forcing an unqualified person to do a dangerous stunt.

Other reports indicate that one problem is the stun person union is a small closed shop of mostly white men and women. (In fact the article talks about painting down being used.)
Now maybe this report being critical of the Producers is a way to deflect away criticisms of the stunt people unions for not having more diverse hirings.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/culture/2017/8/24/16189896/deadpool-2-stunt-fatality-joi-sj-harris-update

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jamesman posted:

It's a Superman with weakness. We see how he is pushed to his limits and is faced with a feeling of inadequacy, forcing him to question what it means to be a hero. Being influenced by Wonder Woman to take more drastic actions, he actually ends up taking a step back and oversees his fascist regime, enforced by other (former) members of the Justice League who are following him because Superman can't be wrong, can he?

It's actually really cool and good to see Superman being humanized and showing some real flaws, and ACTUALLY giving Batman a reason to oppose him unlike a certain movie. It's also really interesting how as the Superman we know, he is hands-on in protecting people, but as a villain, he's more hands-off. He's not doing Superman things, but in a bad way. He's actually completely changed his approach to being a hero.

I'm not saying it's a great portrayal of what people think Superman should be. I'm saying it's a great portrayal of Superman.

I haven't played the game but this is a huge cliché, fascist superman is so prevalent among comic books that Morrison actually folded into a huge rear end DC comics crossover.

The best version I would say is the Authority, and it rings especially well is the entire ineptness of the superhero's attempt at authoritarianism.

Saying Superman.....but BAD is super juvenile to me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but the difference is the Injustice comics show how he got there instead of dropping right into already dictator Superman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

[quote="“Aphrodite”" post="“475931119”"]
Yeah but the difference is the Injustice comics show how he got there instead of dropping right into already dictator Superman.
[/quote]

A lot of them do that. Irredeemable does that part way better than Injustice does, and I like Injustice. It’s a good goofy fun alternate universe book but it’s far from any kind of exemplary take on Superman. I’d say if it has a good definitive take on any character it’s probably Harley Quinn.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Excited! Miike plus a comic that is just mind blasting-ly pretty and ridiculous.

Aphrodite posted:

Fair enough. I'll take your word for it;.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
So I love the Joker, I'm not a Juggalo and I think serial-killer-edgelord Joker is beyond missing the point but at no point did I think he needed his own origin movie. Infact his sole purpose in modern media should be to play antagonist in Harley Quinn's story arc so she(a much more popular character deserving of a push) can overcome and inspire young girls to break free from their abusive boyfriends. The Joker has been my favorite character since even before 89 and I have never desired a solo movie....

However, if they do cast Lakeith Stanfield I'll be there midnight day one.

http://afropunk.com/2017/08/lakeith-stanfield-wants-play-joker-upcoming-martin-scorsese-movie/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

A lot of them do that. Irredeemable does that part way better than Injustice does, and I like Injustice. It’s a good goofy fun alternate universe book but it’s far from any kind of exemplary take on Superman. I’d say if it has a good definitive take on any character it’s probably Harley Quinn.

But how many do it with the actual Superman and Batman and etc.?

I don't agree with that guy that it's an iconic take or anything but doing it with the real characters, and starting from the familiar base we all know feels different than the other Bad Superman stories I've read.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rough Lobster posted:

I'd be a famous actress taint painter, no problem.

Your business cards could read "Taint no problem!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

But how many do it with the actual Superman and Batman and etc.?

Most elseworlds

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The reviews are coming out for The Inhumans (which while it has been turned into a miniseries, the first two episodes are being shown theatrically as well as on TV) and they are not good as you could probably have predicted from the awful trailers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The reviews are coming out for The Inhumans (which while it has been turned into a miniseries, the first two episodes are being shown theatrically as well as on TV) and they are not good as you could probably have predicted from the awful trailers.

Shocking.

Yeah, that poo poo looked really, really bad. Except for Lockjaw.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Remember when the Marvel people (film, TV, and comics) tried pushing Inhumans as X-Men replacements? Yeah.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remember when the Marvel people (film, TV, and comics) tried pushing Inhumans as X-Men replacements? Yeah.

Pretty clear this is a Perlmutter push and he probably had to cash in some favors to even get this theatrical screening bullshit gimmick.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Alternatively, this is a known dead period for movies, and IMAX was looking for some relatively cheap fresh content to charge twenty bucks for.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

So I love the Joker, I'm not a Juggalo and I think serial-killer-edgelord Joker is beyond missing the point but at no point did I think he needed his own origin movie. Infact his sole purpose in modern media should be to play antagonist in Harley Quinn's story arc so she(a much more popular character deserving of a push) can overcome and inspire young girls to break free from their abusive boyfriends. The Joker has been my favorite character since even before 89 and I have never desired a solo movie....

However, if they do cast Lakeith Stanfield I'll be there midnight day one.

http://afropunk.com/2017/08/lakeith-stanfield-wants-play-joker-upcoming-martin-scorsese-movie/

The Joker is quite literally a White man. You expect me to believe that a Black person has killed thousands of people and shown zero remorse and yet managed to not be killed by an errant cop or a rich vigilante in a leather suit? I know these are superhero movies but there's got to be some core of realism to them.

I'm down for the casting inasmuch as I think Lakeith is as qualified to play Joker as anyone else who has ever requested to play Joker. That is, not a single bit, but not because he's Black, just because the Joker role is like political office and anyone who would ask for it shouldn't have it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

Pretty clear this is a Perlmutter push and he probably had to cash in some favors to even get this theatrical screening bullshit gimmick.
Seems that way....once Perlmutter got pushed out of MCU stuff it went from being a major release to a TV series

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So I keep hearing the guy's name. Who's Perlmutter and why should I hate him?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Ike Perlmutter is who the people who make caricatures of Jews controlling the media are thinking of.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fruit on the bottom posted:

So I keep hearing the guy's name. Who's Perlmutter and why should I hate him?

He's the former CEO of Marvel. He's still in charge of everything Marvel except the movies, which were taken away from him 2 years ago. Feige basically went to Disney and said he's an rear end in a top hat who's hard to work with and so now Marvel Studios reports to Disney's brass directly.

He is why female heroes don't get merchandise. He replaced Terence Howard in Iron Man 2 because he said all black people look the same anyway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I thought Terrence Howard got himself out of IM2 by being an rear end and asking for a poo poo load of money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

He is why female heroes don't get merchandise. He replaced Terence Howard in Iron Man 2 because he said all black people look the same anyway.

LoL, what?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's both.

He wanted more, Perlmutter said what does it matter anyway?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

LoL, what?

It's bullshit. Perlmutter is also the one under whom all the progressive "SJW" comics the idiots rail against got made if you make him into some all-controlling monster. Also all the Marvel Netflix series like Luke Cage or Jessica Jones. Every bad thing like not making a action figure of female stars was Perlmutter, with every good thing he wasn't seen anywhere if you go by Twitter. Might be even a disgusting Trump fan can do good and bad things - or at least let them happen in the company.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ike Perlmutter did say some terrible things about Howard, but Howard was also very difficult to work with, and he comes with a host of other problems. Perlmutter wasn't the only one who wanted him gone.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Perlmutter also doesn't do interviews and hasn't been photographed in 30 years so it's tough to sort out fact from hearsay

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Alvarez IV posted:

anyone who would ask for it shouldn't have it.

I think I get what you mean and while I don't necessarily disagree...

#notalljokerfans

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Retro Futurist posted:

Perlmutter also doesn't do interviews and hasn't been photographed in 30 years so it's tough to sort out fact from hearsay

Which is why I loled. When's the last time he was actually on the record about something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ike Perlmutter did say some terrible things about Howard, but Howard was also very difficult to work with, and he comes with a host of other problems. Perlmutter wasn't the only one who wanted him gone.

Oh. That makes racism okay then.

Rhyno posted:

Which is why I loled. When's the last time he was actually on the record about something?

He said it to a high level Disney exec, who later quit because he had enough of working with Perlmutter.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

He said it to a high level Disney exec, who later quit because he had enough of working with Perlmutter.

Still hearsay

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

That's not what I said. I'm saying that's not the only reason he was replaced. Two people are capable of being wrong in a situation.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's not what I said. I'm saying that's not the only reason he was replaced. Two people are capable of being wrong in a situation.

I don't think so, Tim

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

fruit on the bottom posted:

I don't think so, Tim

I condemn this

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

It's amazing how racism is excused as hearsay and followed by "Well you know they say he was difficult to work with." Which in itself aside from also being "hearsay" is often leveled towards black people as an excuse to fire them.

He gets along fine with the cast/crew of Empire. I wonder what the difference is.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Koalas March posted:

It's amazing how racism is excused as hearsay and followed by "Well you know they say he was difficult to work with." Which in itself aside from also being "hearsay" is often leveled towards black people as an excuse to fire them.

He gets along fine with the cast/crew of Empire. I wonder what the difference is.

You're like the Beetlejuice of racism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perlmutter was the co-owner of ToyBiz and in the 90's Marvel signed a deal with his company giving them merchandising rights in perpetuity in exchange for minority equity in the company. Perlmutter is a notorious penny-pincher and micromanager and was able to maneuver himself into control of the company during the comics implosion. He was specifically removed from overseeing the movie part of the business a few years ago, and suddenly actors like Chris Evans went from "moving on once my contract is up" to "happy to play the character for however long they want". Could be coincidence but people took that as a sign that he was loving up movies.

I don't know about these unsourced allegations about racism, but he is a personal friend of Donald Trump and was rumored to be in the running for some role in the admin, though that hasn't happened afaik.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

You're like the Beetlejuice of racism.

I realize you think this is a burn, but I'm cool with that. I have been labeled worse. I'm not going to stop trying to educate people or stop sharing my experiences, or stop calling out racism just because it annoys you or makes you uncomfortable. I want you to think about your reaction to my post and why you felt the need to swipe at a black person for pointing out how societal racism and stereotypes effect black employees. Especially black employees in the entertainment industry. I am also literally a black person in the entertainment industry. I have seen this poo poo with my own eyes.

http://variety.com/2016/artisans/features/below-the-line-diversity-racism-artisans-1201833014/

quote:

One African-American artist, who requested anonymity for fear of a career backlash, recounted overhearing some producers talking several years ago on the other side of a high-backed restaurant booth. Their conversation turned to hiring African-Americans. “One of the producers said, ‘Oh, they’re so difficult to work with,’ ” the artist remembers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think it's hearsay what people said about Perlmutter. Ike Perlmutter is racist. That's pretty clear.

But there are things about Howard that are on the record. Like the fact he was accused of domestic assault six times and that he came out with, and later walked back, support of Chris Brown. Reports of him being rude and disrespectful on set of various projects have dogged him for years, not just in Iron Man.

As for what you've said about Empire, there's been rumors about him fighting with his Empire cast mates, but they've been denied by the actors themselves.

Everyone involved in this situation looks pretty bad. Perlmutter, Howard, even Downey for reportedly muscling him out of things paywise. No one looks good here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Perlmutter was the fairytale foreigner who came to America penniless and became a self made billionaire. He started out in a company that sold videogames, transitioned to a company that sold toys and then became president of a company that sells comic books. He made billions selling things to children and adults with childish hobbies. So naturally a bunch of thirty somethings on the internet mad about their toys think they know more about running a business than the literal penny pinching Jew.

• Locked thread