Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I usually put the food in a muffalo. They'll share it from a pack animal inventory. Dunno what's going on with one pawn's inventory, never tried it. Pack animals also make for good meat shields in an ambush. Get everyone in cover and let them wander around distracting attackers. Monstrous muffalo if you have the cult mod are very good for this. poo poo tons of hit points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

CheeseThief posted:

Caravans are weird.

Last night I sent a caravan to recover a set of neurotrainers from a herd of manhunter muffalo, the journey and the battle went fine but there are some weird quirks with sending pawns away from home.

A bunch of them started to starve because one guy was holding all the food, I had to make him drop it in order to feed the rest. Then nearly all went on major mental breaks because of various things (hunger/sleeping outside/ugly environment surrounded by dead muffalo/joy deprived), I had to cut down a tree and build a horseshoe post to calm them down.

Is there a way of distributing food and medicine equally in the caravan? How do you handle pawns being little whiny babies that consider random murder if they have to spend one night in the woods with no TV or bed?
Build a little mini camp, sleeping spots and medical spots and animal spots plus a little stockpile zone. Drop a bit of food of the pack animal/s so they dont starve on their night out.

Are you sure you took enough? Im fairly new to caravaning myself but what I generally do is have totally enough packed survival meals to feed everyone for the both ways loaded on muffalos and it just seems to work as long as you remember to pick them up when departing from destination (if you had to drop any).

Im into those launch things now, about 5 of those and you are straight there, its just the slog back thats annoying. (remember to take a pack animal or 2)

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Anyone ever managed to get a breeding pair of Thrombos? I tamed one once but didnt manage to find it a boyfriend before the last release :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yes, and it's entirely pointless.

gestation period is 80 days, so you are looking at almost a year and a half between pregnancy and birth. then, after birth, maturation happens multiple years later (3 is as far as i got with it, wiki says it is 4+). all the while the thrumbo family is going to be eating everything green in sight so god help you if you wanted to keep them inside your compound.

they would make good combat pets if they reproduced faster, but as it stands you're much better off just taming and breeding bears.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Hmmm I never thought about bears....a bear army... :getin:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah bears are cool. Had a family of them in one game but someone accidentally shot one of them in an 'incident' and it went loving mental and killed many of my minions, err I mean beloved people. :/ There must be some variable where even a tamed animal can go apeshit at least in the last version. The hogs and muffalos dont seem to give a poo poo however many times I accidentally shoot them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eltoasto posted:

Someone awhile back had a cyber bear hopped up on Luciferium that they would drop pod into enemy bases. Good times.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think i got a bit enthusiastic planting crops because thats all my people ever haul. I really need more people

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a tamed animal is SUPPOSED to lose their manhunter chance upon being damaged but who knows, maybe i'm wrong on that, or perhaps bears are different because their manhunter chance upon being damaged is 100%.

if you're being serious about taming for attack, though, you actually still don't want bears mechanically because they STILL take too long to breed. it's 30 days gestation and about a year to mature. a mature bear is tough, but since animals don't exactly 'do' cover and can't take bionics or whatever to heal serious injuries in vanilla, you have to do the cold arithmetic that some of them are going to go down and go down hard every time they're used.

in this way, chickens actually remain the ideal animal for both combat and food. keep a barn/field of overflow chickens where you could not possibly care less if they lived or died. keep like 50 in there. then when a raid shows up, make an animal zone near the raiders and tell the overflow chickens to go there. they'll swamp the enemy and any casualties just become dinner, to be replenished in like 2 days from hens laying eggs.

if you can't get your hands on some chickens then wild boars work. about 2 seasons to go from impregnation to mature; they mostly work because they are all around in temperate climates so you don't need to wait to get a large biomass of piggos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bear, boar, preumably you can substitute any vowel and it will work.

not sure if boers work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Will bores?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

baar

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Coolguye posted:

then when a raid shows up, make an animal zone near the raiders and tell the overflow chickens to go there. they'll swamp the enemy and any casualties just become dinner

Yeah but what about the dead chickens?

:v:

Does anyone know if you can use the AI ship to escape from the planet multiple times?

Let's say, theoretically, I was to setup a network of small aircraft refueling stations across the face of my world. Could I send a drop ship with a few passengers in it to the friendly AI's ship, load them up, send them to space, and have one guy return with my drop ship along the same route? Could I then ferry another group over? Or is that ship gone forever?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Do settlements without people remain? I thought they got wiped.

Either way, you could have everyone build a temporary settlement just outside the ship then go over in one big group.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Seaside Loafer posted:

Build a little mini camp, sleeping spots and medical spots and animal spots plus a little stockpile zone. Drop a bit of food of the pack animal/s so they dont starve on their night out.

Are you sure you took enough? Im fairly new to caravaning myself but what I generally do is have totally enough packed survival meals to feed everyone for the both ways loaded on muffalos and it just seems to work as long as you remember to pick them up when departing from destination (if you had to drop any).

Im into those launch things now, about 5 of those and you are straight there, its just the slog back thats annoying. (remember to take a pack animal or 2)

Food supply wasn't a problem, they were carrying enough for four days on a one day trip due to my paranoia. The stockpile might help.

Is there a mod for something like a tent/campsite? Basic shelter/beds/joy in a portable item so your pawns don't turn into idiot babies when dragged away from comfort.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Coolguye posted:

chickens actually remain the ideal animal for both combat and food.

This works especially well because raiders will stop to shoot at your chickens. Raiders will be busy meleeing chickens to death while you're unloading on them with assault rifles.

Even if your entire chicken population is wiped out, there is basically a never-ending supply of fertilized eggs that you should have already.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

In this game it lasts for many many days though.

Real alcohol withdrawal can last for some days, but I also don't think your pawn needs to be pounding booze every day for a month or so to become that dependent, either. Overall I think the bigger point is that it makes alcohol less fun because it's an annoying malus. And also that moving with one leg is apparently really easy in Rimworld.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

Food supply wasn't a problem, they were carrying enough for four days on a one day trip due to my paranoia. The stockpile might help.

Is there a mod for something like a tent/campsite? Basic shelter/beds/joy in a portable item so your pawns don't turn into idiot babies when dragged away from comfort.

they exist but in practice it's better to just stop somewhere with trees and pop up a quick cabin for people to do their business for a day or two.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lassitude posted:

And also that moving with one leg is apparently really easy in Rimworld.

Rimworld takes place in an alternate future where hopscotch is the number one sport in the entire galaxy, with space association football holding a distant second place with 3% of market share.

For that matter, how is there not a mod to set up sports fields for pawns?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's like one of the art descriptions come to life.

What kind of surgery is that though? Rage enhancer?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
It's a cyber leg. She already had a new jaw.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"gently caress, not again."

Today I sent five of my 50 colonists from my first save back into space. Five of the best; Mobius, Jigsaw, Gecko, Alyona, and Tucker. It wouldn't be Rimworld without crashing them into another forsaken mudball. Of course, the motley crew has a variety of enhancements already, given that they came from an end game supercolony. That said, Randy is taking the reins and is cranking the difficulty to extreme. And while they had the typical crash landing loadout, they were butt-rear end naked. Apparently the bastardized cryptosleep caskets they put together couldn't handle that.

The first gently caress-up came when I forgot that Mobius left home with a Luciferium need. "Serious illness? What?" Fortunately, the ancient danger on the new map was out in the open, so her and Jigsaw cracked it open, found no mechanoids, and carefully took the little red pills without disturbing the caskets. Later, peace talks began between my budding colonists and a local tribe. I was sure it would be a trap, so I naturally sent Mobius on her own as the most experienced of the five. With her trusty Lee-Enfield and a pair of giraffe-skin pants, she managed to not piss off the natives and get home safely.

So far, the first 10 days on this planet have been uneventful. Everyone is pretty happy, and there's enough food to eat lavishly. Eagerly awaiting the horrific fates no doubt waiting to befall these poor sods.

edit: Immediately after posting this, I had my first red event. A manhunter pack, consisting of one... hedgehog?

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 1, 2017

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
what's the little panel on the wall?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Assuming you mean the panel in the the bear surgery sex image, it's a painting from the additional joy objects mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=936486725

I downloaded a few days ago it because I wanted my pawns to have books to read while they're detoxing in the offsite spa cave, so I thought it was a neat coincidence to see it here today.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, right, I already have that. I can't use the books section of that mod because for some reason none of my games ever have the Brewery research option, so i can't get the station to make the paper.

I looked over my short mod list (350+?) and couldn't see anything that would cause the loss of a single specific research item.

Ah well.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It's whatever the research tree mod is, I can't check right now but whoever made it somehow screwed it up so that brewing just doesn't show up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

just as i nearly had crops ready to harvest after a cold snap wiped them out they got hit by a blight ffs

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hope you like long pork!

But generally in cases like that I throw down a nutrient dispenser and spend the winter hunting. Usually enough meat walking around on the map to get a newish colony through the lean times by stretching it out that way when crops fail. Biggest problem when doing it this way tends not to be starvation, it's usually mood breaks and raids.

Now if you get toxic fallout then you're probably straight hosed. Enjoy your dementia and cancer!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah i was able to make do with hunting. I've researched charged weapons but can't see anywhere i can build them or a new workbench that will let me do it. What am i missing?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
It's at the machining table, the blue workbench.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

Hope you like long pork!

But generally in cases like that I throw down a nutrient dispenser and spend the winter hunting. Usually enough meat walking around on the map to get a newish colony through the lean times by stretching it out that way when crops fail. Biggest problem when doing it this way tends not to be starvation, it's usually mood breaks and raids.

Now if you get toxic fallout then you're probably straight hosed. Enjoy your dementia and cancer!
I had this great new colonist, in her 20's (real years), very promising, loads of passions. Toxic fallout gave her dementia. She also happened to be a night owl and work harder so basically she is now the night cleaner, works very well, everyone wakes up to a squeaky clean base :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

After playing this game for nearly a year now, I finally got both a volcanic winter, and a toxic fallout event a few months after that ended.

I was lucky in that my colony is old and well established, none of my crops are outdoors, and I had a huge stockpile of frozen food. So no one died, thankfully, but drat man, that could totally screw a young colony.

Still, super fun to live though, much like surviving a cold winter, it appeals to my Canadianess on very visceral level.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I came very close to losing one game due to toxic fallout so now in every new game I just keep stockpiling food on increasingly large freezer rooms until it's a sizable percentage of my base

And because it's so large and open and unlit it's always where all the bugs burrow up into. Fortunately, getting shot and sprayed with ichor doesn't seem to bother the food any!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bhodi posted:

I came very close to losing one game due to toxic fallout so now in every new game I just keep stockpiling food on increasingly large freezer rooms until it's a sizable percentage of my base

And because it's so large and open and unlit it's always where all the bugs burrow up into. Fortunately, getting shot and sprayed with ichor doesn't seem to bother the food any!

It just adds flavor.

Could you put in lights, though? One solar panel +battery will probably handle that for you plus the AC.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Sure I could, but lights use a lot of electricity and then they'd just tunnel up in more annoying places. Having a nice wide-open firing room that I can file in on the other side of is much better than trying to fight in a 2 width hallway, plus it's out of the way of most traffic and I can let them wander around in there until I'm readied for combat.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

It just adds flavor.

Could you put in lights, though? One solar panel +battery will probably handle that for you plus the AC.
Wait, there is a variable which effects where you get infested?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They want unlighted places at least 2x2 wide. But when half my base is unlit food storage, they're much more likely going to show up there.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Using the Cult mod, is there a way to get non-violent pawns to do sacrifices?

Also, when you do the ritual that removes inabilities and changes backstories, does that impact negative traits and/or change the learned skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Bhodi posted:

They want unlighted places at least 2x2 wide. But when half my base is unlit food storage, they're much more likely going to show up there.
They always just pop up in someones highly lighted and comfy bedroom for me :/