Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Anyone in here play Spirit Island yet? A heavy coop game with simultaneous actions? Looks intriguing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Countblanc posted:

List of Non-controversial games in the something awful board game thread:

- Hanabi
- One Night Ultimate Werewolf
- Splendor
- Tragedy Looper
- Sentinels of the Multiverse

I will fight you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

- Hanabi
- Splendor
- Tragedy Looper

Is Tragedy Looper on here because everyone agrees it sucks?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Countblanc posted:

- Hanabi
- Splendor
- Tragedy Looper

Splendor is boring, Hanabi encourages bullshit gamesmanship, and Tragedy Looper is anime.

I'll grant you that everyone hates Sentinels though.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

lol there's like 3 games this thread can agree on as being good

The Campaign for North Africa
Paths of Glory
Busen Memo

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Checkers is truly the game of kings, and I pity anyone who believes otherwise.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My wife is on a big Splendor kick right now and I didn't get the expansion at Gencon :suicide:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bottom Liner posted:

My wife is on a big Splendor kick right now and I didn't get the expansion at Gencon :suicide:

How could Splendor even be expanded? It's a pretty self-contained game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CFNA is the platonic ideal of the tabletop game. This is why nobody can ever complete it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

CommonShore posted:

How could Splendor even be expanded? It's a pretty self-contained game.

Looks like 4 modular mini-expansions:

https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2017/6/12/cities-of-splendor/

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You're all forgetting CAH

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Jedit posted:

Splendor is boring, Hanabi encourages bullshit gamesmanship, and Tragedy Looper is anime.

That's literally a list of stuff the thread has had multi-page arguments about, it was obviously not intended as a serious post

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Napoleon's Triumph, which others? ;)
Guns of Gettysburg, and how many coin games are there?

Edit:

Countblanc posted:

- Hanabi
- Splendor
- Tragedy Looper
I'm dead.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:siren: The BGG fb group has infiltrated the thread! :siren:

Prepare yourselves for a dozen pages of monopoly gamer posts!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Big McHuge posted:

The Worst Game I Own

Sorry you lost your good friend. Sounds like you're coping in a healthy way though.
Don't neglect yourself during this time, it's really easy to do so be careful.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo they take their themes way too loving seriously.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Lorini posted:

Any recommendations for my Phd holding cousin who wants to get into the hobby? No party games, thematic games or mean games like Ticket to Ride. Looking for something challenging but not overwhelming, preferably not longer than an hour-hour and a half.

Castles of Burgundy and Alhambra fit that bill for my group

What games would you consider too thematic?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Countblanc posted:

- Hanabi
- Splendor
- Tragedy Looper

I was gonna ask what was :thejoke: controversial about Tragedy Looper, but I forget that some rubes hereabouts have not yet accepted Hatsune Miku as their personal savior.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Traglop might be an anime game but at least SOME praise comes from people without anime avatars so there is something there.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kashuno posted:

Is Tragedy Looper on here because everyone agrees it sucks?

If you can't dehumanize yourself and face to anime enough to like Tragedy Looper, then you've got a problem.

Also, if you don't enjoy shouting 'JUST ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU*' when you win as a Mastermind, there is something wrong with your soul.

What I'm saying is - Tragedy Looper is both Cool and Good even if you don't believe Anime Is Real, and there is nothing else out there like it. So deal with it :smugdog:

*Translator's Note: 'Keikaku' means 'Plan'

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 1, 2017

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Tragedy Looper is, I have been told, a wonderful game, but I would never know because it has proven impossible to convince anyone to actually play it.

PS Anime is good

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
anime good yeah
Tragedy Looper can be ok sometimes I guess but is mostly boring

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you like logic puzzles (the ones with the grids), then Tragedy Looper is loving awesome. It's also one of the best 1 v many games and pretty unique in the board game world.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, this was kinda my thought also. I mean, anything short of a purely co-op game is going to have a certain amount of "meanness" in it just by the nature of competition. Even Catan has the robber and even Dominion has the Thief.

I think meanness is different if the game is a straight up competitive 2 (or more) player game. Something like TtR or Carcassonne or whatever can feel "mean" because you were working quietly on your own little plan and someone came in and screwed you over, while you're not really going to feel hard done by if you lose a piece in Chess or a hand in Euchre.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There is also something to be said for simply making sure someone's first experience is a positive one, and going from there. Board games have a large element of skill that is easy to take for granted.

It's like anything else. Making sure a newcomer's experience is positive and something that can be engaged with doesn't necessarily mean presenting them with a dumbed down or simplistic version of the activity that removes the context or challenge. It means making it accessible and instructive, not punishing or overwhelming.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Caedar posted:

Anyone in here play Spirit Island yet? A heavy coop game with simultaneous actions? Looks intriguing!

Absolutely fantastic with 2 players. My friend who owns it likes it solo as well, I'm not sure I would. 3+ makes planning/downtime worse (since if you don't talk/plan, you'll and up overlapping and wasting turns. Perfect planning is not needed, and you'll want to use flexible abilities anyway and decide what to do with them later, but still). There's so much variability in player choice, powers gained, and difficulty/scenarios. The expansion might be essential (like Mage Knight's)?

My favourite story from the game so far: The foreigners came by to visit, making sure to stay away from our sacred sites. They built up a giant metropolis. So we said 'actually that's now a very very very sacred site, sorry' and told all the natives to rush in and sack it. I think in that game we were the villains!

In another game, we were robbed of the chance to win by sinking the island when an animal destroyed the last invader town (to win that way).

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Jedit posted:

I will fight you :colbert:

I like Sentinels.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

kinkouin posted:

I will fight you :colbert:

I like Sentinels.

Make it a tag team, nobody smack talks Sentinels

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
What does fiddly mean in a board gaming context? Or elegant for that matter?I like to lurk this thread but sometimes the lingo flies over my head.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

adebisi lives posted:

What does fiddly mean in a board gaming context? Or elegant for that matter?I like to lurk this thread but sometimes the lingo flies over my head.

Elegant means the game is deep without being too complex. The rules aren't full of special cases and exceptions. Go is a fantastic example.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I see them as two sides of the same coin, regarding upkeep and turn to turn complications.

Fiddly covers a few different things, but generally lots of annoying bits to keep track of, convoluted rules with lots of specific exceptions to remember, etc. Arkham Horror the board game is a perfect example of a fiddly mess for a large game. Smash Up is a good example of a simple but fiddly game. The turn to turn math of breaking on the locations can be quite annoying for a simple game.

Elegant is pretty much the opposite of that, where games flow really well and have very simple upkeep no matter how simple or complicated they are. Food Chain Magnet, The Gallerist, and most abstracts are good examples of elegance in board games.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

If you like logic puzzles (the ones with the grids), then Tragedy Looper is loving awesome. It's also one of the best 1 v many games and pretty unique in the board game world.

I think that is my problem. I love love LOVE logic problems, which is why tragedy looper bores me. It's relatively simplistic as a logic problem, and I don't really want to be playing a logic problem

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Exmond posted:

Make it a tag team, nobody smack talks Sentinels

Speaking of which, did you back the recent KS? Kinda excited to see the culmination of everything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kashuno posted:

I think that is my problem. I love love LOVE logic problems, which is why tragedy looper bores me. It's relatively simplistic as a logic problem, and I don't really want to be playing a logic problem

But the card play makes it interesting since you have moving targets and actions because the mastermind is playing against you, you're not just solving a puzzle. You have to solve the puzzle and outplay them with cards. At least, that's what I find so interesting about it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

adebisi lives posted:

The more a game gives you counters and tracks and currencies to adjust, and the more often it has you adjust them, the more fiddly the game is. Fiddly-ness also stems from generally having to handle the game's components more than usual -- a game that makes you reshuffle a deck of cards every time you draw one would be considered fiddly. Finally, some people see game rules that have many exceptions and special cases as fiddly.

The more a game combines columns on its metaphorical spreadsheet, the more looking at the board tells you the game state (as opposed to various counters, tracks, and indicators), and the fewer rules the game needs to produce interesting situations, the more elegant it is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

adebisi lives posted:

My personal definitions

Fiddly: When you're playing with the pieces more than you're playing the actual game.

Discard, cubes go down, cubes go up, cubes go down, cubes go up, shift cubes, draw cards. Why aren't I playing a video game?

Elegant: that tingly feeling I get when I'm 100% engrossed in a game and briefly snap back into reality like "wtf I'm just pushing wooden cubes and cardboard chits around OH YOU DID NOT JUST OUTBID ME YOU rear end in a top hat!"

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

adebisi lives posted:

'elegant' to me means that the game's core loop flows naturally with few 'exceptions' or gotchas in the rules to get caught up on, so you can devote most of your 'brain bandwidth' to strategy and planning. 'fiddly' would be somewhat the opposite of elegant where there's a lot of upkeep and rules minutiae that you have to remember, and the operational aspects of the game take more time and energy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tales of Woe posted:

'elegant' to me means that the game's core loop flows naturally with few 'exceptions' or gotchas in the rules to get caught up on, so you can devote most of your 'brain bandwidth' to strategy and planning. 'fiddly' would be somewhat the opposite of elegant where there's a lot of upkeep and rules minutiae that you have to remember, and the operational aspects of the game take more time and energy.

Elegance could be measured in cm^2 - how small of a sheet do you need to contain the basic rules for play? Dominion and patchwork both come to mind for me here as especially elegant. You could get either of them onto a business card if you're not including a glossary.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

adebisi lives posted:

One consistent theme that's emerging is that fiddly is used in a somewhat derogatory fashion, while elegant is usually a compliment.

However, there are exceptions to every rule - I would claim that Space Alert is actually quite a fiddly game (there are a lot of bits and bobs to track) but the hilarious part is - you don't actually need to move/use any of it during active play (although you should), you only have to as part of resolving all of your actions. This usually means that during all of your screaming and flailing, somebody kept firing the guns well past empty, someone kept funneling energy into the furnace without transferring power, no one stopped the screen saver from turning on, and one of you couldn't stop staring out into space until you got to meet it face-to-face. Space Alert deliberately makes fiddliness part of the game loop and winds up succeeding.

In contrast, I'm having a rough go trying to think of an 'elegant' game that's actually bad, because the term itself is loaded with positive connotations and NOBODY IS HELPING by continuing to layer on positive/complimentary meanings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LuiCypher posted:

One consistent theme that's emerging is that fiddly is used in a somewhat derogatory fashion, while elegant is usually a compliment.

However, there are exceptions to every rule - I would claim that Space Alert is actually quite a fiddly game (there are a lot of bits and bobs to track) but the hilarious part is - you don't actually need to move/use any of it during active play (although you should), you only have to as part of resolving all of your actions. This usually means that during all of your screaming and flailing, somebody kept firing the guns well past empty, someone kept funneling energy into the furnace without transferring power, no one stopped the screen saver from turning on, and one of you couldn't stop staring out into space until you got to meet it face-to-face. Space Alert deliberately makes fiddliness part of the game loop and winds up succeeding.

In contrast, I'm having a rough go trying to think of an 'elegant' game that's actually bad, because the term itself is loaded with positive connotations and NOBODY IS HELPING by continuing to layer on positive/complimentary meanings.

Cah is elegant and bad