Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Pissing me off: I spent my lunch hour on hold today because I found fraudulent charges on my credit card from bankwiretrade.com and tradercostbuy.com

I haven't even used this card online in months, so who the gently caress had a data breech lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
My cards get turned off by USAA on a very regular basis due to credit processors having breaches

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The consultant called me to his office...

... to ask for a quote on a new laptop. He's been using his personal one and either he's replacing it or just wants a dedicated work machine. So I might be able to squeeze one last purchase in to get more points over at Amazon. :20bux:

When I was done explaining his options he said "Hey, thanks bud."

Want to thank me? Don't maneuver behind the scenes to get me fired. Bud.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Dick Trauma posted:

... to ask for a quote on a new laptop. He's been using his personal one and either he's replacing it or just wants a dedicated work machine. So I might be able to squeeze one last purchase in to get more points over at Amazon. :20bux:

When I was done explaining his options he said "Hey, thanks bud."

Want to thank me? Don't maneuver behind the scenes to get me fired. Bud.

Maybe he meant something else when he said "move on Dick Trauma"... :smugdon:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'll let you know if he takes me out furniture shopping.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

... to ask for a quote on a new laptop. He's been using his personal one and either he's replacing it or just wants a dedicated work machine.

Sounds like he needs a 5400rpm HDD for that bad boy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Pissing me off: Have to work on the weekend because our payment processor burned the client and we have to build an entire department that they outsourced in the first place up from scratch.

It was optional so I felt like telling work to stick it. I don't get any opportunity to grow my skill set here even if I ask for it straight up, all those opportunities go to my coworker who also just got promoted. So I was feeling salty.

But I figured as good as that would feel , long term, it doesn't benefit me. I'm really starting to feel lovely about how I can't move forward, I can only stay in place or move back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spog posted:

You evil bastard.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

You evil bastard.

bad sata cable time.

mewse
May 2, 2006

What's the laptop equivalent of a bad sata cable? Half inserted zif connector? Wiggidy ram?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

mewse posted:

What's the laptop equivalent of a bad sata cable? Half inserted zif connector? Wiggidy ram?

A cheap Acer from a large appliance store.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Pissing me off: I spent my lunch hour on hold today because I found fraudulent charges on my credit card from bankwiretrade.com and tradercostbuy.com

I haven't even used this card online in months, so who the gently caress had a data breech lately?

What credit card provider are you using? I have CapitalOne and it's taken me all of 5 minutes to take care of fraud incidents (one I handled over the phone, one online, and both times it took me all of 5 minutes). And they're the ones that found the fraud, I didn't have to pay attention at all. I was rather impressed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mewse posted:

Man what was the last laptop that even used those ZIF connectors. I'd say just giving someone a laptop old enough for that would be punishment on its own!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Che Delilas posted:

What credit card provider are you using? I have CapitalOne and it's taken me all of 5 minutes to take care of fraud incidents (one I handled over the phone, one online, and both times it took me all of 5 minutes). And they're the ones that found the fraud, I didn't have to pay attention at all. I was rather impressed.

CIBC Visa. 99% of the time was on hold. Once I got through it was quick and painless. The hold was murder.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
After years of being treated like poo poo I'm out. Been where I currently am for almost 10 years. Hard to leave but it's for the best.

Straight into a new job the next week. As other's have said apply for work whilst you're still employed... just maybe take a break in between if you can.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:yotj:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Che Delilas posted:

I called Christmas Eve at like 2am and chase fixed me up in under 10 minutes and I mean the night of the 23rd not Christmas day. They reversed the charges no problem and I used another card to finish up
last minute digital gifts.

I love my Amazon card no problem with anything and good rewards if you redeem it for Amazon money, which is basically cash.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Sickening posted:

Anybody else try out WizTree? Seems to kick the poo poo out of windirstat.

Does it work on deduped volumes? Windirstat only gives the actual used space, which is tiny on those.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

pixaal posted:

I called Christmas Eve at like 2am and chase fixed me up in under 10 minutes and I mean the night of the 23rd not Christmas day.

:crossarms:

Christmas Eve is the 24th, isn't it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That was quick

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

That was quick

No, I was celebrating VealCutlet's new job. :kiddo:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Weatherman posted:

:crossarms:

Christmas Eve is the 24th, isn't it?
Eh I kinda think of dates like he does. Up so late on the 23rd that it's technically 2am the next day but c'mon we both know it's still today.

We actually ran into a huge problem with this at work recently. When it comes to work times, I am very, very specific. You don't use words like 'today', or hell even 'Wednesday night' can be dangerous. Turns out a team scheduled something for say, 'Wednesday at 2am'. Now yes, I know, that is a very specific time, but half the team didn't show up because instead of "two hours after Tuesday ends", they stayed up Wednesday night until 2am, ie, the next night. Whoops.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

spog posted:

Calibrate it with a few good whacks from a rubber mallet too.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Learned this week that the entire rest of my dev team, as well as my boss, are either leaving or planning to leave in the next month or so. Some of that was known and planned but some not. Not so much pissing me off as just making me :smith:

So once again I’ll be the only one in the company with working knowledge of critical business systems. Either it’ll be time for :yotj: or yet another oh god please don’t leave merit pay increase.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Pretty sure you can still find some 4200RPM drives around. You want to make sure the data gets across safely, don't want things spinning too fast and the bits fall off.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Oneiros posted:

Learned this week that the entire rest of my dev team, as well as my boss, are either leaving or planning to leave in the next month or so. Some of that was known and planned but some not. Not so much pissing me off as just making me :smith:

So once again I’ll be the only one in the company with working knowledge of critical business systems. Either it’ll be time for :yotj: or yet another oh god please don’t leave merit pay increase.

So... You won another round of the hunger games? :v:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

Pretty sure you can still find some 4200RPM drives around. You want to make sure the data gets across safely, don't want things spinning too fast and the bits fall off.

Did 4200rpm drives even exist outside those ridiculous 1.8” things they shoved into portable music players before flash storage took off? If you managed to find a working one and cram it into a modern laptop with an adaptor :allears:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

[quote="“Wibla”" post="“475960173”"]
So... You won another round of the hunger games? :v:
[/quote]

I haven’t figured out yet whether i’m the idiot for not moving on at this point or whether i’m the only sane one.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So for some reason our WAF was bought by our parent company and then provided to us. We have instant replacement. Instead of getting a new device in 24-48 hours, they decided to send us a unit they had lying around with support for 5 more days and turns out the front NICs are all dead. They still haven't got that instant replacement because the ISP they bought it through isn't calling them back. I now opened an RMA for the fully dead device that is now at the HQ of our parent company in another city and will get a replacement in 24-48 hours according to Baracuda. We have been loving around with the other exchange for 4.

Why we couldn't just do the instant replacement through them in the first place is beyond me.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Oneiros posted:

Did 4200rpm drives even exist outside those ridiculous 1.8” things they shoved into portable music players before flash storage took off? If you managed to find a working one and cram it into a modern laptop with an adaptor :allears:

Yep they exist, even with SATA.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Dick Trauma posted:

No, I was celebrating VealCutlet's new job. :kiddo:

you tease :argh:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The boss is letting everyone go at 3:30...

But truecrypt won't finish encrypting until 5 :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Iron Rose posted:

Does it need you there to finish?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Iron Rose posted:

Can you watch it finish remotely?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Due diligence says stay, but not giving a gently caress says go...

Eh, truecrypt will still encrypt even when logged into the newhire's domain account. So gently caress it, buddy will just need to deal with a strange and heretofore unforeseen message when he comes in after the weekend.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Iron Rose posted:

Due diligence says stay, but not giving a gently caress says go...

Eh, truecrypt will still encrypt even when logged into the newhire's domain account. So gently caress it, buddy will just need to deal with a strange and heretofore unforeseen message when he comes in after the weekend.

That is the spirit!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sickening posted:

That is the spirit!

regretfully, thanks to incompetent facilities people the actual literal desk setup is going to take me till 5:30 fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dick Trauma posted:

There's always a kernel of truth to whatever reason I give, and I avoid poo poo-talking the previous emplocuryer. Usually interviewers don't want more than a quick explanation. For this job my explanation will be their operational dysfunction. Two years was enough time to see that they weren't serious about resolving their fundamental operational issues, issues that were going to choke off their growth and any opportunity for me to develop there as an employee.

BOOM. Done.

This is very true, when I got my current job they had asked about why I was leaving the previous one. Even though I was frustrated and pissed about the mismanagement and them not caring, it boiled down to "we had too much work, not enough people, guys were getting burned out, and management dragged their feet on hiring people". I put it in more professional terms that made it sound more concerned that the company wasn't taking care of its people and expecting too much out of too few. They understood and management here is the complete opposite - they go out of their way to help out (or find help) when needed instead of expecting people to bust knuckles for 60+ hours a week for no additional benefit.

mewse posted:

Thank god we don't support personal devices where I work

THIS. Last job was an MSP and clients always found some bullshit way to shoehorn home device support into their agreement. I got sick of being blamed when I'd fix something and they'd break it again after disregarding anything I told them, so I flat out refused to touch any home devices after that. Let some other poor clueless tool drive to someone's house and get chewed a new one because they couldn't fix someone's 8 year old laptop that looked like it'd been thrown around, run over and dropped in a river.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I don't get how home device support would end up in any SLA. Like, can the cook at the cafeteria deliver food to me at home too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

skooma512 posted:

I don't get how home device support would end up in any SLA. Like, can the cook at the cafeteria deliver food to me at home too?

All it takes is a suit convincing another suit that supporting a BYOD policy is cheaper than supporting company-bought equipment-- after all, you're paying for support either way, so you can save on the equipment costs! :downs: