Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a ton of backstory lore stuff like Dark Souls, but the actual game story is very minor and mostly cheesy.

yeah this is the part I'm interested in, b/c the setting is supposed to be post-apocalyptic but it's still cool since everything is sci-fi with power armor and space ships and floating robot drones and people are wielding like, psychic powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am a big fan of D2 bringing the Cabal out of loving nowhere. The Vex? poo poo they gently caress around with the flow of time and have machine brains that sit around in timeless chambers trying to mess with the future and past all at once because they ain't got no present. They also have the ability to make massive fuckoff robots and turn everything into pixels made of rock and metal.

Fallen? Goro with guns that fire tracking bullets made of energy. loving space pirate clans who do the honor duel poo poo for leadership.

I'm pretty sure the hive and the taken have been knocked down a peg so gently caress'em.

Cabal? They're these big stupid space spartans who have no clear concept of small unit tactics or fireteams or anything that would make better use of those big shields and their big guns. They did Reliant a ship right into the side of the dreadnought and open a landing area for you so there's that, but even then you were still fighting against them so they weren't thinking that part through very much.

But suddenly they show up with a huge armada, wreck the last city, and make like they're gonna steal/kill the traveler? Here's to seeing how big of a space hitler that leader guy is because they absolutely rearmed themselves bigtime.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

khy posted:

the Vex which are time-travelling robots that can erase people from time and somehow this is less of a threat than the Cabal?

If a race can 'go back in time' and 'erase people from time' how the gently caress can anything be a bigger threat than them?

The Vex were the primary concern in vanilla Destiny for exactly that reason. As kilometers Davis can tell you, the original raid, the Vault of Glass, involves going into their time realm so that we could cut off their dick (Atheon) and balls (Templar).

They've been total chumps since then. We condensed their time stream into only one possible outcome, which is them getting defeated by another race in the future, so they got really depressed and salty and just kind of teleport around for no reason now.

The cabal are a bigger threat now because their real army was just off screen the whole time.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
The weaponized ontology Vex stuff from the grimoire was p cool.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
you guys need to watch that lore video for real

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Destiny has incredible lore because they had a totally hosed up dev process and literally reassembled the game from pieces of the original planned narrative, so they stumbled rear end backwards into what makes good video game world building: multiple potentially contradictory accounts of past events relayed via unreliable sources and narrators.

It seems like they actually had their ducks in a row for this project so I'm assuming we will get a bog standard bad video game plot with lots of cutscenes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
any plot that includes time manipulation or travel is bad

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Doorknob Slobber posted:

any plot that includes time manipulation or travel is bad

Destiny's "plot" did not directly include time travel or manipulation

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We never did any actual traveling through time or manipulating the time stream. The potential for them to erase us from existence was just their doomsday device. They could have just as easily had a nuclear bomb in the vault, or some kind of potion that turned Guardians gay.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Destiny has incredible lore because they had a totally hosed up dev process and literally reassembled the game from pieces of the original planned narrative, so they stumbled rear end backwards into what makes good video game world building: multiple potentially contradictory accounts of past events relayed via unreliable sources and narrators.

As far as I'm concerned, the best mission in Destiny 1 story-wise is Paradox, where you have to re-enter the Vault of Glass after picking up Praedyth's distress signal. Praedyth and his fireteam disappeared there centuries ago and many of them had been erased from time itself, and when you find Praedyth at the bottom of the Vault he's been dead a powerful long time and all find of him is his bones and his dead Ghost. The whole story is a culmination of the story of Kabr's fireteam which we never really get in full because of lost records and the confusing time-bending nature of the Vex and it works perfectly to set a mood and tell a story while leaving the details up to your imagination.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love the grimoire entry for the guy trappd in a Vex box without even knowing it.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I played Destiny for a couple of hundred hours. I have no idea what that dude is saying in that lore video thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minrad posted:

yeah this is the part I'm interested in, b/c the setting is supposed to be post-apocalyptic but it's still cool since everything is sci-fi with power armor and space ships and floating robot drones and people are wielding like, psychic powers.

The stuff about previous guardians and the people who invented the power armor and everything are pretty cool, yeah.

Its like Diablo 3 where the main story is stupid as hell but the little audio bits you get from picking up books are super cool and well written.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We never did any actual traveling through time or manipulating the time stream. The potential for them to erase us from existence was just their doomsday device. They could have just as easily had a nuclear bomb in the vault, or some kind of potion that turned Guardians gay.

Turned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHVtZsCZ1TA

Destiny would be so much better if it went full JoJo's.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Guardians have always been gay. Wait a second... Did the Vex... Win?

I don't care how many dicks I have to suck, I'm getting to the bottom of this

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

As kilometers Davis can tell you, the original raid, the Vault of Glass, involves going into their time realm so that we could cut off their dick (Atheon) and balls (Templar).

Woah :iceburn:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

So the Cabal are like Necromongers?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Capntastic posted:

I mean we took that gauntlet right off that one cabal dude.
So yes?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Are the emo humans / night elves still around

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Capntastic posted:

I think that's more the Hive. Their entire thing is they're a potentially immortal undead race that's terrified of death because before they became the hive their max lifespan was around a dozen years.

They've spent the last 30k years traveling the universe destroying all life they've come across in the secret hope they find a people that can destroy them. In their mind entropy is the great enemy and they will destroy until they are powerful enough to outlive the heat death of the universe or be destroyed by a culture that already is.

Of course, if they become powerful enough to defeat entropy, they will be destroyed in turn by the parasitic creature inhabiting them.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
everything about destiny 2 is making me not want to buy it from that garbage trailer to the story continuing to avoid anything that was interesting about the destiny universe to begin with, but god drat it the core gameplay is fun and i wanted this on PC since destiny 1 so i guess im buying this

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

quiggy posted:

As far as I'm concerned, the best mission in Destiny 1 story-wise is Paradox, where you have to re-enter the Vault of Glass after picking up Praedyth's distress signal. Praedyth and his fireteam disappeared there centuries ago and many of them had been erased from time itself, and when you find Praedyth at the bottom of the Vault he's been dead a powerful long time and all find of him is his bones and his dead Ghost. The whole story is a culmination of the story of Kabr's fireteam which we never really get in full because of lost records and the confusing time-bending nature of the Vex and it works perfectly to set a mood and tell a story while leaving the details up to your imagination.

you left out the part where he took off his armor and died naked

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That trailer was fine, it's aimed at getting the people into Call of Duty interested in the game. The only thing really bad was the weakass script, the costuming and direction was pretty good.
And Dinklage's delivery was the worst work he's ever done, he sounded bored as gently caress in every line.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

moist turtleneck posted:

you left out the part where he took off his armor and died naked

Your clothes are fashioned from Light. When your ghost abandons you, you become naked. Smh did you even read my fanfic, "Eris Morn and the nudey run off the moon"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At least the commercial is better than the live action commercial for the first Destiny with a dude with gjallerhorn in one hand and a Taco Bell burrito in the other.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

At least the commercial is better than the live action commercial for the first Destiny with a dude with gjallerhorn in one hand and a Taco Bell burrito in the other.

I think you're mixing things up here.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think that's more the Hive. Their entire thing is they're a potentially immortal undead race that's terrified of death because before they became the hive their max lifespan was around a dozen years.

They've spent the last 30k years traveling the universe destroying all life they've come across in the secret hope they find a people that can destroy them. In their mind entropy is the great enemy and they will destroy until they are powerful enough to outlive the heat death of the universe or be destroyed by a culture that already is.

Of course, if they become powerful enough to defeat entropy, they will be destroyed in turn by the parasitic creature inhabiting them.

The sword logic is some good poo poo and probably my favorite bit of Destiny lore. Also Oryx and his failson Crota. God drat the books of Sorrow are great.

Everyone please read The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Out of all of the stuff that happened in Destiny (which, as most have said, culminates to absolutely nothing), I could've sworn there was some neat stuff about the Traveler trying to run away when the Hive came to Earth but Rasputin alpha-striked the Traveler, crippling him so that he would stay and continue to serve humanity. But now that I'm trying to catch up, I notice that a quick search on this has a lot of people saying it never happened or that it could've, but didn't, or whatever. Did anyone else get the same impression? Is this some sort of mass hallucination between grinding loot?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FutureCop posted:

Out of all of the stuff that happened in Destiny (which, as most have said, culminates to absolutely nothing), I could've sworn there was some neat stuff about the Traveler trying to run away when the Hive came to Earth but Rasputin alpha-striked the Traveler, crippling him so that he would stay and continue to serve humanity. But now that I'm trying to catch up, I notice that a quick search on this has a lot of people saying it never happened or that it could've, but didn't, or whatever. Did anyone else get the same impression? Is this some sort of mass hallucination between grinding loot?

It's by far the most interesting theory as to why the Traveler stayed so I choose to believe it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

DrNutt posted:

The sword logic is some good poo poo and probably my favorite bit of Destiny lore. Also Oryx and his failson Crota. God drat the books of Sorrow are great.

Everyone please read The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson.

I particularly like the snippet around Oryx's missing second son Nokris who had been erased out of all existence by the Vex and they don't even have a sliver of awareness save for an ancient statue outside of Oryx's throne room that the Vex ominously left behind as a warning.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm mostly just a fan of the idea that all the enemies we face are loving terrified because Guardians are fearless amnesiac murder zombies that just keep coming back when you kill them. It doesn't really come across in-game but it'd be a shame to lose that.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

FutureCop posted:

that was the assumption for a long time yes but later grimoire cards made it more clear that Rasputin had a contingency plan for this that it did not act on

also Seth Dickinson who wrote a lot of this poo poo said pretty definitively on Reddit that the Traveler specifically chose to stay and not leave

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orv posted:

I'm mostly just a fan of the idea that all the enemies we face are loving terrified because Guardians are amnesiac murder zombies that just keep coming back when you kill them. It doesn't really come across in-game but it'd be a shame to lose that.

Especially considering our enemies (with the exception of the throne room business) don't have the same ability. So we're essentially murdering thousands upon thousands of sentient creatures that will not be resurrected in the way we are. We must be terrifying.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Legs Benedict posted:

that was the assumption for a long time yes but later grimoire cards made it more clear that Rasputin had a contingency plan for this that it did not act on

also Seth Dickinson who wrote a lot of this poo poo said pretty definitively on Reddit that the Traveler specifically chose to stay and not leave

Death of the author, yo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Especially considering our enemies (with the exception of the throne room business) don't have the same ability. So we're essentially murdering thousands upon thousands of sentient creatures that will not be resurrected in the way we are. We must be terrifying.

Yeah, we just show up in a shimmer of light, loving run around jumping and shooting and exploding poo poo in complete silence, coming back immediately any time we die, kill one of their leaders or officers or whatever, steal their poo poo and then leave. That would loving suck to be a foot soldier against.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I don't comsume either of these items. But I've been prepping my keyboard gut and my body is beyond ready.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
in it 2 win it, same name as forums

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orv posted:

Yeah, we just show up in a shimmer of light, loving run around jumping and shooting and exploding poo poo in complete silence, coming back immediately any time we die, kill one of their leaders or officers or whatever, steal their poo poo and then leave. That would loving suck to be a foot soldier against.

Don't forget dancing. I love the lore entry from the Cabal perspective that talks about guardians looting and dancing. It's a little on the nose but great nonetheless.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

FutureCop posted:

It didn't happen, Rasputin had a contingency plan to hit the traveler but it looked at the situation unfolding and said "welp im just gonna sit this one out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Don't forget dancing. I love the lore entry from the Cabal perspective that talks about guardians looting and dancing. It's a little on the nose but great nonetheless.

I just found it and read it and I love it. Player fuckery is 100% in-game canon. 'survivors reported Guardians foraging for equipment, dancing, and performing acrobatics with light vehicles'

quote:

For the Staff of Primus Ta’aun, Legion Commander From Skyburner V Cohort/Auxiliaries/Strategic Intelligence Maniple A Tactical Outcomes Analysis

I: Records, Materials, and Attributions Pursuant To Analysis
Sand Eater II Cohort/Century 1/Maniple 8 2 Squad [LINE INF] TASK: – sweep urban area grid 071×145 to screen BL I/3/3/5 intelligence op OUTCOME: – unit ambushed by solitary Guardian. no survivors
Sand Eater II Cohort/Century 1/Maniple 8 3 Squad [TAC INF] TASK: – reinforce II/1/8/2 in disarray grid 071×145 OUTCOME: – unit engaged by Guardian and Vex units. no survivors.
Dust Giant IV Cohort/Century 4/Maniple 1 4 Squad [AIRMOBILE] TASK: – secure grid 071×145, destroy guardian target OUTCOME: – target Guardian temporarily destroyed. target re-engaged with Guardian reinforcements. no friendly survivors.
Dust Giant IV Cohort/Century 4/Maniple 1 Harvester Dropship [TAC AIR] TASK: – support IV/4/1/4 operations in 071×145 OUTCOME: – dropship shot down. crew reported Guardians operating elaborate totem rocket weapons.
Blind Legion I Cohort/Century 3/Maniple 3 5 Squad [HEAVY INF] TASK: – defend Psion intelligence ops 071×146 OUTCOME: – overwhelmed by Guardian fireteam/Vex pressure. few survivors. survivors reported Guardians foraging for equipment, dancing, and performing acrobatics with light vehicles.

II: Analysis
This is an archetypical engagement. It represents many hundreds of failed operations.
Guardian activity in the Freehold AO has exploded across recent campaign seasons. Tactical attrition exceeds both frictional projections and our ability to regenerate losses. New tactics are necessary.
The primary threat is the Guardians’ individual counter-attrition capability.
Guardians can be rebuilt after even total disintegrative trauma. This capability is provided by a small autonomous drone unit called a Dead Person [trans. unclear]. The Dead Person conceals itself during combat. It is not a viable target for direct fire. Saturation attack by artillery/heavy air/orbital fire may have good effect (although Guardians transmat frequently and refuse to assemble into large formations).
Solitary Dead Persons have been observed in all areas of operation. The relationship between solitary and paired Dead Persons remains unclear.
Psion analysis indicates that specific areas are inimicable to Guardian counter-attritional reconstruction. Phobos Command has initiated an orbital survey. BL I/2 will attack the Vex gate artifact in Meridian Bay to secure possible related intelligence.
Flayer analysis suggests that the Hive have developed unconventional counter-Dead Person capability. The capture of Hive leadership might yield vital strategic intelligence, including weapons or tactics capable of defeating Guardians permanently.
We advance that the Hive fleet group near Saturn presents a strong target.

For the Primus, Our highest duty done, Unflinchingly loyal, Skyburner V/A/SI

khy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 1, 2017

• Locked thread