Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

80s James Hetfield posted:

Do they not stream any of the day one events?
Friday of a GP is side events and trials only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

JerryLee posted:

insecure nerd

:ironicat:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Those lands actually look great. It isn't like Jace Mugshot In Front Of A Tree, it's, like

he's a tiny figure in a massive landscape, giving a quiet and contemplative edge to these massive cliffs. We get Mountains every set, but we don't get someone silhouetted among them. It's rare we get a scene like this.

The swamp is the only one that has him as anything but a speck, and it's the only one that lacks the grandeur as a result.

So just don't play anything black with Jacsics and they're great.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
That Swamp still looks great, and I'm going to run foil playsets of all the Jace lands just to piss grogs off

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Tainen posted:

Card Kingdom has pre orders for them at around $2 a piece. We don't expect them to go any higher due to being reprints right? I had a hard time getting into Standard because the Kaladesh lands are so expensive but these I can do.

When you place a preorder for a single, are you basically in a queue to get them as the vendor buys them? Or are they opening up sealed product at distributor cost?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

When you place a preorder for a single, are you basically in a queue to get them as the vendor buys them? Or are they opening up sealed product at distributor cost?

Most of the big distributors receive the sealed product well before the go live date. They can open them as they please. They just can't hand it over (ship it) until the go live date. You can roughly guess your quantity of each card based on how much sealed product you are getting from WOTC at that level.

Even the smaller shops that give the distributor middle men their money get the product well in advance and can guess how much of each card on the same math.

The big places... star city, channel fireball, troll & toad, make a lot of their money on singles and such because they spend the least for it.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 1, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

the latter: you'll see repacks on ebay where the distributors unload the cards they didn't want for presales

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Not sure. I assume they open up a million boxes at release and probably cap the preorders at a level that is reasonable. When HOU came out I ordered a set of the gods and a few other random rares and just picked them up during lunch time on release day.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Flip Yr Wig posted:

opening product

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Also from people trading stuff in at pre-releases, even small LGS's will "pre-order" stuff a week ahead of time as they buy it up after prerelease from players.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm probably crazy but I feel like if pirate jace is a real card this actually has a shot at making it into standard

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

I'm probably crazy but I feel like if pirate jace is a real card this actually has a shot at making it into standard

Is a 2 for 2/3 unblockable creature playable in any standard? What does your heart tell you? (Much less for one that isn't always 2/3

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tainen posted:

Not sure. I assume they open up a million boxes at release and probably cap the preorders at a level that is reasonable. When HOU came out I ordered a set of the gods and a few other random rares and just picked them up during lunch time on release day.

Card Kingdom hires extra temp workers and offers extra hours for pack opening and sorting prior to new set releases so they can have them shipped immediately once the release window opens.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There are zero good Jaces in the format and there are zero good equipment in the format, so it's very unlikely.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Gotta agree that the Jasic lands are actually really dope

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Jace has started working out and is pretty hot now so he's all good in my book. Never really got the weird performative internet-hate thing for him anyway.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

ZeroCount posted:

Jace has started working out and is pretty hot now so he's all good in my book. Never really got the weird performative internet-hate thing for him anyway.

90% of his flavor text quotes are the definition of :smuggo:

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

ZeroCount posted:

We all just wanted Tibbers and Fblthp to get their time in the spotlight.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The word "Jace" has been in flavor text 49 times. Only about ten of them are smug quotes, by my count. Jace's main province is actually metaphysical technobabble, with a side helping of explaining plot points.

Notable recently is a rise in "Jace gets dunked" flavor text, starting with Unsubstantiate and recently appearing in HOU with Jace's Defeat. It's a new and rare specimen, but worth observing.

A lot of the smug flavor text is centered earlier, with Wizards actually trying to dial it down! In fact, he hasn't been classic Ertai-level smug since Magic Origins, with Psychic Rebuttal. But still, Omniscience is so godawful that it will stain him forever, RIP Jace.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The word "Jace" has been in flavor text 49 times. Only about ten of them are smug quotes, by my count. Jace's main province is actually metaphysical technobabble, with a side helping of explaining plot points.

Notable recently is a rise in "Jace gets dunked" flavor text, starting with Unsubstantiate and recently appearing in HOU with Jace's Defeat. It's a new and rare specimen, but worth observing.

A lot of the smug flavor text is centered earlier, with Wizards actually trying to dial it down! In fact, he hasn't been classic Ertai-level smug since Magic Origins, with Psychic Rebuttal. But still, Omniscience is so godawful that it will stain him forever, RIP Jace.

I just realized Jace is walking across the Planeswalker symbol in Omniscience. Dunno how I missed that.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Man, there was a smug wizard that I liked. Teferi, too. Why were those two so (reasonably) popular compared to Jace? Was it just that story characters took such a smaller role on cards and that stopped us from being bombarded with them?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Aranan posted:

Man, there was a smug wizard that I liked. Teferi, too. Why were those two so (reasonably) popular compared to Jace? Was it just that story characters took such a smaller role on cards and that stopped us from being bombarded with them?

Honestly it's because Smug-rear end Nerd wasn't as overdone a trope 15-20 years ago as it is now.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Characters actually showing up on the land is an idea I wish they'd come up with years ago. Gimme some snow covered lands with Disa the Restless wandering around, that'd be sweet.

I don't know what Disa looks like but I assume a pal on a mammoth going 'holy poo poo, some rocks!' at everything.

Aranan posted:

People did actually complain about Urza being over-saturated back in the day, but Wizards' branding was more of a light touch so it never reached these levels.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Aranan posted:

Story characters actually took a much larger role on cards during the Weatherlight Saga. It's just that Ertai wasn't one of the main characters.

There are people who hate Gerrard flavor text, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 2, 2017

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Aranan posted:

What Lone Goat said, and also that he was part of an ensemble cast who was portrayed in a more balanced way from the beginning (or at least so it seemed to 18-year-old me). Orange Fluffy Sheep has mentioned that Jace has been getting dunked on a bit more recently, and credit to Creative for that, but as the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make the right first impression. Ertai getting a dose of humility/comeuppance was something that was being shown or alluded to at least as early as the second set he ever appeared in (witness Meditate and Ancient Runes); Jace spent years being for all practical purposes played completely straight.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I just realized Jace is walking across the Planeswalker symbol in Omniscience. Dunno how I missed that.

it implies he realized he was a fictional character, which is a trope i like in fiction so i'm cool with it

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I don't have a problem with the text on Omniscience, it's an appropriate and unpretentious reflection from a character who had greatness thrust upon them.

I reserve my derision for writing like that on Counterspell, which is peak anime fanfiction:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Got 6th at draft FNM with RG commons/uncommons. Places 1-5 got a Fatal Push. :|

My match loss was to the 1st place guy who opened the Scorpion God and had all the removal to go with it. I actually had some answers to the god (Puncturing Blow and Struggle//Survive and took a match off of him), but that's a hard card to beat.

At least I have 4 more chances, I guess.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Had a solid draft tonight. Opened an invocation No Mercy and followed it up with a Cruel Reality. Made a blue black control deck with lots and lots of removal. LGS didn't have any of the fatal push promos, though :(

I still flooded out one match, though.

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 2, 2017

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Eikre posted:

I don't have a problem with the text on Omniscience, it's an appropriate and unpretentious reflection from a character who had greatness thrust upon them.

I reserve my derision for writing like that on Counterspell, which is peak anime fanfiction:

hahahahaha "Jace sighed and drew his katana"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The JVC Counterspell has my favorite Counterspell illustration though :(

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I quite like that they are using basic land illustrations to show plot points. Just as long as they don't look like jace's holiday snaps.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dysgenesis posted:

I quite like that they are using basic land illustrations to show plot points. Just as long as they don't look like jace's holiday snaps.

I hope that, when they get around to their stories, the Chandra or Nissa ones are though.

Just imagine them doing selfies at fabulous locations. Imagine the impotent nerd rage as you play selfie basics.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Cernunnos posted:

the Chandra or Nissa ones

Or?????

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Dysgenesis posted:

The entirety of Magic is basically just showing off your holiday snaps, it's only fitting that be represented on cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

I hope that, when they get around to their stories, the Chandra or Nissa ones are though.

Just imagine them doing selfies at fabulous locations. Imagine the impotent nerd rage as you play selfie basics.

I'd play Chandra selfie basics only because that would be funny and WotC catching onto a trend way, waaaaay too late.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Too bad it would be too late for a selfie stick invention.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I'd play Chandra selfie basics only because that would be funny and WotC catching onto a trend way, waaaaay too late.

"wotc catching onto a trend way too late" is going to be a huge chunk of the cards in the new Un-set, so get ready for that.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Are they really not streaming the SCG Grand Prix in favor the loving Italy one?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I would support a set that is entirely art of the gatewatch taking selfies with things solely to annoy this thread.