Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've beaten it twice and I'm getting the itch to play it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I beat it once and am currently working on a second play through so I can try and 100% the game. I don't normally do 100% runs of games, the last time I did was Crash Bandicoot back when it was the only PSX game I had.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I work 16 hour shifts on average 6 days a week. I have no time :(

What kind of job is this so that I can make sure to avoid it as much as possible?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

rear end posted:

What kind of job is this so that I can make sure to avoid it as much as possible?

He's slacking and a real dedicated millennial would work 100+ hrs a week and have no days off <:mad:>

I like Nier:A but it's not my GOTY since we still have 4 more months to go.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Got endings D and E last night. My final thoughts: Pretty clever to make people think that 2B is the main character, when in reality it's 9S. Jesus christ Yoko Taro has no loving mercy for 9S. I don't know any character in any work of fiction who gets it worse than 9S. At least not off the top of my head. .

Going to start a new game on hard tonight.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

rear end posted:

Bump and a friendly reminder that if you haven't purchased and beaten this game yet, you're an rear end in a top hat.

You need to post this in the RPG thread. 1,400 page thread. I think I've only seen 2 or 3 people other than me talk about it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just spent the last few hours reading up the lore to this series. Jesus Christ it goes all over the place.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It does when you nuke it, yeah.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

No Wave posted:

You work 96 hours a week? Are you a cook?
Tourism during peak seasons is cray y'all.

On the other hand, off peak I'm basically freelancing so it all evens out.

rear end posted:

Tourist shepherd. Though, if I'm quick, I only work 15 hours a day! And soon I'll only be working 12 hours a day!

Over There posted:

Just spent the last few hours reading up the lore to this series. Jesus Christ it goes all over the place.
My favourite thing about it is the connection to Drakengard. Any other person would have just left it as a joke, not as the premise of a completely different series.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've beaten it twice and I'm getting the itch to play it again

It's the only game I've bothered to 100% since I graduated and started working. My social life may have suffered, but I loved every moment of it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

2B and 9S apparently have cameos in Yoko Taros new mobile game.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hexenritter posted:

2B and 9S apparently have cameos in Yoko Taros new mobile game.

Calling it, post game they murdered each other and doomed all android kind off camera :yokotaro:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Materiacollective's remix album just got released.

http://music.rozen.audio/album/nier-glory-to-mankind

The track they used to promote the thing (Amusement Park remix) is honestly subpar, but the rest is pretty good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Having just beaten the game a couple of days ago, I think my favorite little allegory of humanity is when there are only two girls left in the N2 fight and they stay far away from each other, swinging uselessly at the air in front of them. That whole fight was a nice little microcosm of the game's themes of conflict.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

No Wave posted:

You work 96 hours a week? Are you a cook?

Deceitful Penguin might be a nurse

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Ruffian Price posted:

Materiacollective's remix album just got released.

http://music.rozen.audio/album/nier-glory-to-mankind

The track they used to promote the thing (Amusement Park remix) is honestly subpar, but the rest is pretty good

Oh good I just saw the amusement park one a couple days ago and I knew they could do better.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Still not super impressed. Sounds like rozen really held back to focus on the vocals.

Over There fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 2, 2017

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, I had a few more offline listens and the entire thing is kinda bland, mostly the same arrangements with instruments swapped and incredibly heavy compression (those trailer hits every 8 measures make the dynamics jump around like crazy)

But gently caress it, at this point I'll buy anything NieR. They just shipped the CD

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So finally continued with the game, what with getting my first day off in a while.

I did not see A2 coming. Like, I did think it was strange that she's introduced so abruptly and then never again, but uhhhh, I certainly wasn't expecting a third playable character.

Also our dude Nines getting mo' and mo' unhinged. Is that Faith sword any good btw? What's the strongest 2 hander btw?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

There's an amazing spear that you can get in the Desert called the Spear of the Usurper. It's got a lot of Crit+, and fully upgraded has a chance to make machines become friendly when you hit them. That's a permanent friend, so you can read that as "chance to kill with friendship".

I don't know if it's the strongest weapon but it's my favourite for 9S.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

i am tim! posted:

It's got a lot of Crit+, and fully upgraded has a chance to make machines become friendly when you hit them.
This can be a godsend in the DLC colosseums, that mechanic still works there. Turning all machines is treated as stage complete and they persist to help you fight with the next one.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yeah, I just got the DLC and I'm finding myself using it a LOT. Trying to think of a good weapon to pair with on 2B, if anyone has any suggestions. I'm at 87% on weapons going for 100%, so anything goes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

i am tim! posted:

There's an amazing spear that you can get in the Desert called the Spear of the Usurper. It's got a lot of Crit+, and fully upgraded has a chance to make machines become friendly when you hit them. That's a permanent friend, so you can read that as "chance to kill with friendship".

I don't know if it's the strongest weapon but it's my favourite for 9S.

Yeah, it was my friend as Nines, still using it.

Also, if you wanted to kill ur robot buddies for their drops you just hold R3 + L3 to self-destruct them, same as other hacked followers lol

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, apparently we're getting The Memories of Puppets with English subtitles in December, or so sayeth the Nier Automata Twitter.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I just got ending D! Yoko Taro, you absolute lunatic!

I guess I was supposed to pick the other one first? Though the whole last part was just such a weird dang blast from the past.

I was also hideously overpowered by that point from being too well built. Like, enemies just melted in front of me. Not terribly challenging.

Going to 100% this. And goddammit, gently caress the Factory in the dark and that goddamn racing robot!

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

you should go back and get c before anything else

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

you should go back and get c before anything else
So what is that? Just picking A2 or is not picking going into space?

Also the reveal that 2B is actually 2E made a lotta sense but wasn't terribly sensible, because I assumed that the endings didn't happen all at once; I mean, if they did what the heck happened with our boi 9S inside all tha robutts?

Like, originally I thought that was what was behind the robots going berserk: 9S and 2B fusing with them and trying to create a new life with the machines but knowing that they could never truly convince the rest to do it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

So what is that? Just picking A2 or is not picking going into space?

Also the reveal that 2B is actually 2E made a lotta sense but wasn't terribly sensible, because I assumed that the endings didn't happen all at once; I mean, if they did what the heck happened with our boi 9S inside all tha robutts?

Like, originally I thought that was what was behind the robots going berserk: 9S and 2B fusing with them and trying to create a new life with the machines but knowing that they could never truly convince the rest to do it.

It's just picking A2, you can go right to that bit from chapter select.

Presumably 9S was able to beam his consciousness back up to the Bunker like normal. The big deal was his mind being destroyed by the logic virus, not that particular body.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA YESSSS

2 for 2 now! And I wonder what form my help even takes! My only regret is that if I do it all again, I have to manually pick up items for a while.

Also because life is a constant stream of embarrassments: Videogames are not meaningless

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

And I wonder what form my help even takes!
Isn't it obvious from the preceding section?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Akuma posted:

Isn't it obvious from the preceding section?
Yeah, in retrospect it was!

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
DO YOU THINK GAMES ARE SILLY LITTLE THINGS?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Bioenchanted and another dude are talking about playing the game in PYF and I wonder if Hil from Iceland will be one of the people to help them through that part :3 .

Also I really wonder who could say no to that, after having gone through it yaself

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I'm hoping this isn't against the rules, but I just finished posting a full play-through of the game without commentary. I wanted to show the game as if it were a movie, because it is so wonderful in that respect. I don't want to try doing an actual Let's Play thread because I don't think I'd be good at it, and it stands on it's own so well without some nerd talking over it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xILAYIBlpGM

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

That sounds like the kind of thing that you should at least ask about before linking it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Ask about what? It's a youtube video, lol.

Good work if nothing like that existed on youtube already. A video series where all or almost all of the gameplay is removed would be great too. I know so many who would probably love the story but aren't into games at all.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I think no commentary LPs are also called "long plays" and have been around since the 90s, and cutscene-focused edits are called "X: The Movie" or something, both have been around for a while. Shenmue 2 for example included an official DVD of "Shenmue 1: The Movie" which was all gameplay and cutscene footage.

some guy on the bus posted:

Dumping your own youtube videos without request or prompt could be considered a form of self-advertisement (or spam if done in multiple threads) and fishing for views, but i guess it's appropriate here. Thread's gone relatively quiet this long after release anyway.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Usually the problem with the Movie or Cutscene edits is it doesn't have any of the dialogue while walking around. Just watching the cutscenes would give you a real half assed version of the story. 2B's entire trek at the beginning of playthrough C while being infected should be in it. Any Nier Automata story series on youtube that doesn't have that is garbage. And I just looked on youtube and that's exactly the case.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 10, 2017

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

some guy on the bus posted:

Good work if nothing like that existed on youtube already. A video series where all or almost all of the gameplay is removed would be great too. I know so many who would probably love the story but aren't into games at all.

Oh, I thought I was in the Let's Play thread. Yeah, that's fine to link, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The ending of this game is so overwhelmingly emotional and great. I just got ending E for the second time and I think I was actually impacted more this time around just because I knew the rest of the side information that wraps the story up in a bow and was able to understand what was really going on.

I kind of wish there were more hooks throughout the game, especially route A, that it was going to have this big emotional and thematic conclusion because pushing through the first half or two-thirdsish of this game is really rough and dry.

If it weren't for the encouragement of some dude in a Discord chat telling me to keep going and kinda teasing me with what was actually coming up (I was ready to quit halfway through route B because the repetition was just killing me) I never would have seen any of the payoff. It'd be my GOTY every year forever if it weren't for how tedious the actual gameplay part of the game is :geno: