Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
"A" Master Ball because you're never given that free one and only get one from a perfect match at the ID lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"A" Master Ball because you're never given that free one and only get one from a perfect match at the ID lottery.

Oh god that's right, Uranium doesn't even give you a free Master Ball. No Watering Can until Postgame, and not even a Welfare Master Ball!

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
For once, Uranium is doing you a favor. Using a master ball announces to the world that you are weak of spirit and will never be a real Pokemon master. :colbert:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

See, you don't have to worry about using the master ball because you won't have a master ball.
Uranium's got it all figured out guys.

(poo poo about Uranium aside, Frosthra is still cool and good and my friend)

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Oh right, because getting a master ball for free at any point would be too kind for the HARDCORE CHALLENGE that is Uranium.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rainuwastaken posted:

For once, Uranium is doing you a favor. Using a master ball announces to the world that you are weak of spirit and will never be a real Pokemon master. :colbert:

You try getting a 0-speed IV Quiet Necrozma with HP Ground some other way, then.

Be a trick room weirdo like me in the 3ds world of 3 perfect IVs, and you'll love having a Master Ball around. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

How does using a Masterball effect either of those things, and what format are you playing that even allows Necrozma? I'm used to people obsessing over the perfect Tapu, but I'm not sure I've even used the one I caught, let alone seen someone else with it on a team.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The only way to get something like that legitimately is to catch it, check its stats, and reset until you get what you want. Using a master ball makes that process go from "soul crushingly long" to just "agonizingly long" because you can just throw the ball and be done for each try. Or you can trade something to someone else willing to do that, but theoretically that involves having something of similar value.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't care about that stuff and just throw the master ball at whatever roaming legendary is in the game

gently caress those things

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I threw a master ball at Reshiram. Whoops

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't care about that stuff and just throw the master ball at whatever roaming legendary is in the game

gently caress those things
*hears Mesprit's cry and has flashbacks*

Oh, Platinum, you were evil with all your roaming Legendaries...

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

krisslanza posted:

I mean to be fair, it isn't like she tried to kill anyone we care about.

Is there anyone in this game we actually care about? Really?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
What about Best Boy Hazma?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alacron posted:

What about Best Boy Hazma?

That she failed utterly doesn't mean she didn't try.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Top Boy is good, as is Daikatuna's name

That's about it, though the surfing ninjas have promise

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I just follow Oak's advice. :shrug:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Master balls are for the games rattatta. no quesrions.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

CascadeBeta posted:

I just follow Oak's advice. :shrug:

Best advice I've ever followed.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Why do you just have those screenshots lying around? How long have you been preparing for this bizarrely specific moment?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He LP'd Yellow and Crystal.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Aesclepia posted:

The Surfing Ninja's. I care about them and their goofy hydroboard-style ninjitsu.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Aesclepia posted:

Champion Hero of Tandor Ranger Ninja Good Human Hokage Dick Solomon.
And the Surfing Ninjas.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
And the pirate who couldn't resist buckling his swash.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ninjas would have been an insanely good villain team and it's bullshit that they're barely used

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Blockhouse posted:

ninjas would have been an insanely good villain team and it's bullshit that they're barely used

Nah, not villainous enough.
The pirates on the other hand...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

ChrisBTY posted:

A cool villain plot would be both sides perpetrating bumbling schemes against each other that accidentally wreck everyone else's poo poo in the process. The player coud foil everything and reconcile the two. Instead, we got CURIE. Is it ever explained why it's all caps?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

because it's an acronym - a really stupid forced one.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

Friend Commuter posted:

And the pirate who couldn't resist buckling his swash.

This was really good and I have to wonder what actually good writer suggested it to the guy making this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ChrisBTY posted:

Oh I mean the concept of ninjas not the actual execution we got

We already had bad guy pirates. Twice!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blockhouse posted:

Oh I mean the concept of ninjas not the actual execution we got

We already had bad guy pirates. Twice!

One of the groups of bad guy pirates also were helped by bad guy ninjas, though it was a small squad of actual assassins instead of an entire team of nincompoops.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Just caught up on the LP and ahahahahaha, what a goddamn trainwreck of a finale. Godspeed OFS for playing through this complete mess, it's truly a sight to behold.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Crazy Achmed posted:

A cool villain plot would be both sides perpetrating bumbling schemes against each other that accidentally wreck everyone else's poo poo in the process. The player coud foil everything and reconcile the two. Instead, we got CURIE. Is it ever explained why it's all caps?

But enough about Emerald...

(I agree, Aqua and Magma's dynamic was a lot of fun.)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Emerald 2 is a very good and fun romhack that has Aqua and Magma working together to save the world and boy it makes much more sense.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So did I understand that the Championship Tournament here is another thing that Uranium took from the actual pokemon games that came before? Because I really like the idea. Have all 8 gym leaders come back post game with different rosters and level appropriate 'mon and have them tournament it out alongside your trainer. I suppose if you threw in the elite 4, your rival, and maybe the top Team Rocket equivalent and some other bozo you could get a 16 team bracket set up. Let the game decide randomly who you get paired off with and who wins the CPU battles.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

So did I understand that the Championship Tournament here is another thing that Uranium took from the actual pokemon games that came before? Because I really like the idea. Have all 8 gym leaders come back post game with different rosters and level appropriate 'mon and have them tournament it out alongside your trainer. I suppose if you threw in the elite 4, your rival, and maybe the top Team Rocket equivalent and some other bozo you could get a 16 team bracket set up. Let the game decide randomly who you get paired off with and who wins the CPU battles.

no that tournament isn't in any of the games, tho there are post game gym leader refights in a lot of them

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's similar in concept to the Pokemon World Tournament from Black/White 2, except:

1)The PWT was only mandatory once, and predetermined who you'd battle.
2)The PWT wasn't substituting for the Elite 4.
3)The PWT has you pick from several pre-set lists of opponents(all involving Gym Leaders and Champions) and randomized from there, instead of being completely random each time.
4)There's not a random trainer who's super difficult to beat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just want to point out that it's entirely possible the playtesters pointed out all this broken poo poo and the developers just decided not to do anything about it, as is pretty common in game development. I don't think laying it all at their feet is really fair when we don't know how it went down. Yeah maybe they all hosed up or didn't do their jobs but it's just as likely the team forwarded all their reports to the dumpster.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's also possible they handpicked playtesters who'd kiss their asses enough to only report literal bugs instead of terrible game balance.

Fan game makers love their "it's a feature, don't play it if it's too hard for you lol" echo chambers.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

since it's just a goofy fanproject being done for free what playtesters there were probably just played it casually until they got bored or stuck and only really pointed out literal gamebreaking issues and the few that did make it to the e4 just didn't get that one particular trainer(or did and got stuck and just assumed they were doing something wrong)

it's not hard to imagine no one being meticulous beyond 'does the game literally crash? no? okay then everything's fine'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, something tells me this thing didn't have a full suite of regression scripts in ALM.

• Locked thread