Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
In terms of action I loved how they murdered the scientist who was breeding crop-eating pests only for it to turn out it was being done to cultivate better crops. I was like "gently caress yeah" when they killed that guy and felt guilty when the truth came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't enjoy 5 as much as the others but if the show sticks the landing with the final season I think it will hold up well.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I think the plots are now so slice of life for the Jennings it's hard to distinguish that it's actually the end for that season. This past one (or maybe two) I had to google to see that it was actually the season finale since it didn't really end notably.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

precision posted:

Season 5 was great and the Oleg stuff was great
Ugh I friggin hate the Oleg stuff

I'm not saying that every scene needs to have a Jennings in it but you at least have to have something to do with the plot. He's just some guy doing an investigation in the Soviet Union, and his conclusion is, what, that it's corrupt over there? Joe Weisberg, I can google that. He's too far removed from anything to matter. His scenes are like little interludes during a spy drama taking place in the DC area.

Not to put too fine a point on it.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 10, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I care about Oleg at this point. Whether it's tied to the overarching plot with the Jennings doesn't matter to me, personally, because I'm more than happy to go on Oleg's journey and learn more about his family.

I liked the Nina stuff alright when she was isolated in Russia, as well, but not nearly as much as this. The Oleg story this year showed us more of the country, as did the Martha stuff, and imo it's important to show that on screen right now, whether we already know what it was like there. Especially with Elizabeth and Philip teetering so close to maybe picking up their family and having to start over again in Russia, depending on how the final season goes down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The main character in Comrade Detective looks like Oleg

Everyone watch Comrade Detective

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I'm hope it's not a problem resurrecting this thread.

I've been watching this series for the past few weeks and it's great. Just finished the end of Season 3 where Paige calls Pastor Tim and spills the beans.

What a bitch! Does anyone else feel like her character has been really grating throughout this whole show? I mean she has like no redeeming qualities at all. She's like the worst example of a teenager that's always complaining and never optimistic or cheerful. But after all this time going into a 4th season- now you make me watch her rat out her parents to the hippie pastor??

Come on I really hope I find some vindication for her character by the end of Season 4. I never empathized with people hating TV characters - but Paige is a real loser.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Paige is amazing, sorry.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

esperterra posted:

Paige is amazing, sorry.

How? In what way?
I guess the most that could be said for her is that she's a good sister.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Paige is horrible, but all the bad people in this thread (who also thought not-very-good last season was great) love her.

^^ Reads like a trump tweet, but it's true.

Paige is zero dimensional, and an utter simpering baby about everything.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Nah. Paige and season five are both great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Paige is a crappy and dumb teenager, like every other teenager in human history.
Her act of rebellion against her Soviet superspy atheist parents is joining a church with a dumb haircut pastor.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
She's just learned her life is a lie and that her parents have gone so far to maintain the lie that they invented a grandma (whoever that old lady was) who has pictures of Paige and Harry in her house. Calling Pastor Tim is completely understandable when her trust has been betrayed so intimately and shockingly and she has nobody else to rely on.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Eyud posted:

Nah. Paige and season five are both great.

"It was.... fine." Is about the best you can say when stacked up against all the other actually good seasons.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
See I don't know, I think Paige is one of the most interesting parts of the show while season 5 was terrible, so you can find someone from every view point, I suppose.

That said, I don't think the actress is particularly strong. I get exhausted looking at her ever furrowed brow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I keep having to remind myself that Paige is actually Henry's older sister because he looks way older than her now.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
why can't paige rebel by hanging out with weird older men like that cia agent's daughter instead of by going to church :mad:

:goonsay:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Who?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kid peaked in that show when he was annoying Philip by quoting Eddy Murphy SNL skits.
This is by far my favorite Henry moment

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Henry is redeemable and always seems like a cool, interesting character.
Paige seems like a girl that no one would want to hang out with. She would spend her time with you in Bible Study class talking poo poo about the other girls and all their sins.
And then probably snitch you out to the teacher for telling her you drank with your older cousin last weekend.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dennis McClaren posted:

Henry is redeemable and always seems like a cool, interesting character.
Paige seems like a girl that no one would want to hang out with. She would spend her time with you in Bible Study class talking poo poo about the other girls and all their sins.
And then probably snitch you out to the teacher for telling her you drank with your older cousin last weekend.

Keep watching, and report back.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Keep watching, and report back.

Yeah good point. I'm on S04E02 titled "Pastor Tim". Even just the first 10 minutes have me on edge with anger about how this girl never does anything useful, and I know she'll probably spill more secrets by the end of the episode.

*edit* I just realized the best result of this would be that she does a complete 180 and eventually gets turned by her parents and ends up whacking pastor tim for divulging her secrets. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 30, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Honestly I was sure Pastor Tim would end up creeping on Paige and getting offed for it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

maskenfreiheit posted:

Honestly I was sure Pastor Tim would end up creeping on Paige and getting offed for it.
Yeah I was very glad they stayed away from that. That seemed like a very easy plot to get some mileage out of, but I'm glad they went with, in my opinion, the more complicated route. Having him be a creep is easy - but what do you do if he just earnestly wants to help her, that's a bit more complicated.

Writers saved themselves some trouble by having him be an activist. If he was gung-ho America that would have been a hard corner to get out of.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'm thinking the same thing about Agent Beeman. Does it not raise any eyebrows that a full grown man in his 40's-50's is hanging out alone in his house with a teenage boy, who I think is 14?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

We already had the best "spy responds to an older dude creeping on his teen daughter" exposure, and that was in season 1 when Philip beat the crap out of that dude and stabbed him with a barbecue fork.
This show is heavy enough for me as is without adding child molestation. The Philip/Kimmy stuff creeps me out so much, even though we viewers all know that the character is not meant to enjoy it.

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm thinking the same thing about Agent Beeman. Does it not raise any eyebrows that a full grown man in his 40's-50's is hanging out alone in his house with a teenage boy, who I think is 14?

Strat O Matic Football is not a single-player game, you need an opponent.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dennis McClaren posted:

He thinks of him as a surrogate son because his own son is a weirdo with a dumb haircut.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Dennis McClaren posted:

it was the 80s

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

maskenfreiheit posted:

it was the 80s

Yeah this. The 90s are when people begin freaking out about abductions and leaving children with non-family.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Plus, if Henry is at Stan's he can unknowingly collect intel for Elizabeth and Phillip.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dennis McClaren posted:

I don't think it's weird for someone to watch a neighbor's son.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

howe_sam posted:

Plus, if Henry is at Stan's he can unknowingly collect intel for Elizabeth and Phillip.

Or knowingly :ninja:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

He thinks of him as a surrogate son because his own son is a weirdo with a dumb haircut.

He's also a sad and lonely guy, and I think he genuinely views Henry and Phillip as basically his only friends.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Nichael posted:

He's also a sad and lonely guy, and I think he genuinely views Henry and Phillip as basically his only friends.

thats why it'll suck when phil kills him

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

thats why it'll suck when phil kills him
I feel like there's no way Stan gets a happy ending, but then I thought that about Martha too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Stan will be the last man standing.

But still sad and even more alone.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
There's not enough time for this plot to play out (you really need an entire season a la Breaking Bad), but I always hoped Stan would find out who they were, and be torn between his only friends and his job.

e: It also creates a situation where turning them in might destroy his own career, so does he want to do anything with the info? Not trying to go all fan fiction, I just always thought that would be an interesting direction to go which it looks like we won't be exploring.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 2, 2017

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I always hoped Stan would find out who they were, and be torn between his only friends and his job.

I always hoped that Stan would get Paige pregnant and the baby would grow up to be Putin

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's been said before but if Henry doesn't go to a Minor Threat or Black Flag show in DC at some point then just smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I still can't believe some nerd snuck The Jetzons into this show last year, speaking of music.

I wasn't high, right? That's a thing that happened?

• Locked thread