Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Hackan Slash posted:

Choco, much like another great one, believes you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Watch him play, he does not hit very often with the Kar unless it is mid-close range to non moving target. A shot that many people would make anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'd love to run the numbers some time. How high up is the plane?

1500 posted:

Watch him play, he does not hit very often with the Kar unless it is mid-close range to non moving target. A shot that many people would make anyway.
Choco is arguably the best player I watch play right now. I can't do what he does, but it's easier to coach than do, so I'll just say he takes a few too many shots he doesn't need to. He loves to take shots at people he has very little chance of hitting, doing not much more than giving his position away. If that's the weakest part of your game I'd say you're doing alright.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

I believe the second one because area under the curve is time spent in the air.

How do you figure that from a "graph" that only shows distance in x and y?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ChesterJT posted:

That depends on what the end of the line represents. If it's chute deploy they're not the same because the first you will pull it much later/closer to the ground where the second you'll be floating for a while.

This should be tested by a team.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Trabisnikof posted:

I believe the second one because area under the curve is time spent in the air.

But then you spend more time at a slower speed versus accelerating first and then turning once you have speed.

I dunno though, You're traveling for longer at a faster speed, and if you're at terminal velocity then when you pull your 'chute you end up lower to the ground than people at any other speed. In my anecdotal non-scientific tests the first is always faster.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Someone already tested all that stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=worfS4pDkP4

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
It's important to remeber that a straight line is the shortest distance between 2 points. Not the fastest speed or the least time.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Det_no posted:

Someone already tested all that stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=worfS4pDkP4
Excellent! Except that's not what we're talking about. He's talking about how to go as far as possible. We're saying, if the plane's travelling let's say 800m or 1200m away from Pochinki, what's the absolute fastest path there? Over and down, or straight line?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dyz posted:

How do you figure that from a "graph" that only shows distance in x and y?

Because the starting and ending points are assumed to be the same in the question.

ChesterJT posted:

That depends on what the end of the line represents. If it's chute deploy they're not the same because the first you will pull it much later/closer to the ground where the second you'll be floating for a while.

RizieN posted:

I dunno though, You're traveling for longer at a faster speed, and if you're at terminal velocity then when you pull your 'chute you end up lower to the ground than people at any other speed. In my anecdotal non-scientific tests the first is always faster.

I had forgot about getting up to speed at the end. So yeah as close as you can get to the second graph while you still have enough height to turn straight down to get up to speed at the end.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Because the starting and ending points are assumed to be the same in the question.

I had forgot about getting up to speed at the end. So yeah as close as you can get to the second graph while you still have enough height to turn straight down to get up to speed at the end.

Im asking how you integrated time from a graph that has no time on it, only 2 types of distance.

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010

Memento posted:

The only thing I would add at this point in time is a killcam. Let me, a complete newb, know where I'm being killed from, so I can get a decent idea of where people hide with at least reasonable effectiveness.

I want this too although I think the main issue here is probably the video buffer for 100 odd players has got to be a pain to manage. Game already runs like poo poo.

I want a smaller map please, I already think it's too big. There are three major types of fights, early game on all the loot clusters, mid-game random battles from people crossing paths, and end game battles on the circles. Smaller map would make the mid game better, currently a lot of the action concentrated in the first 5 minutes.

Maybe this is fine...

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Ninjalicious posted:

I want this too although I think the main issue here is probably the video buffer for 100 odd players has got to be a pain to manage. Game already runs like poo poo.

I want a smaller map please, I already think it's too big. There are three major types of fights, early game on all the loot clusters, mid-game random battles from people crossing paths, and end game battles on the circles. Smaller map would make the mid game better, currently a lot of the action concentrated in the first 5 minutes.

Maybe this is fine...

The best part of this game is the closer-quarters stuff, beginning and end, the middle is loving boring. Sniper battles are fun, but you still don't need this big of a map for that. I really want a map that's half the size. Also, maybe just another loving goddamn map at all, wtf is the hold up?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ninjalicious posted:

A video buffer?! No, it just needs save the actions and then replay them in the engine. Still not easy, mind, but not as crazy as 100 video buffers.

Or it could just to TF2 style snapshots of the moment they shot you.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Tested it myself. Meh. Over and down, 51 seconds. Straight line, 53 seconds.

RizieN posted:

The best part of this game is the closer-quarters stuff, beginning and end, the middle is loving boring. Sniper battles are fun, but you still don't need this big of a map for that. I really want a map that's half the size. Also, maybe just another loving goddamn map at all, wtf is the hold up?
I love the large map. :(

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

RizieN posted:

...maybe just another loving goddamn map at all, wtf is the hold up?

making games is hard

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010

Taffer posted:

A video buffer?! No, it just needs save the actions and then replay them in the engine. Still not easy, mind, but not as crazy as 100 video buffers.

Or it could just to TF2 style snapshots of the moment they shot you.

Okay that does sound easier. Goddamn Bluehole wheres my kill cam.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Choco is arguably the best player I watch play right now. I can't do what he does, but it's easier to coach than do, so I'll just say he takes a few too many shots he doesn't need to. He loves to take shots at people he has very little chance of hitting, doing not much more than giving his position away. If that's the weakest part of your game I'd say you're doing alright.

The point is not that he shoot to much, it is that he does not hit very often with the kar. Just my observation of watching a lot of hours of him playing. He is much better with the shotgun and AR then with the Kar.

1500 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 1, 2017

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Shayl posted:

making games is hard

I think this is a cop out when they've already shown screens of the new map, sold 7 million copies, are still using UE4 Marketplace assets, have nearly all of the assets and logic already in game. I dunno, I've been making a game and trying to change my career, and while it's very hard and I've often said "well I'll never complain about X thing again!" when I run into poo poo in my game that I'd complain about in another person's game (like delayed release dates, stupid bugs etc).... but I feel like there's just been plenty of time for this new map. There's another reason besides hardness. Also I'm just so very incredibly sick and tired of this same map.

If it's about "esports balance" then put it on the test server and let us all have a go at it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Judging by how he plays, a lot of his unnecessary shots are to bait people into fighting him. You also can't kill what you aren't shooting at.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

RizieN posted:

I think this is a cop out when they've already shown screens of the new map, sold 7 million copies, are still using UE4 Marketplace assets, have nearly all of the assets and logic already in game. I dunno, I've been making a game and trying to change my career, and while it's very hard and I've often said "well I'll never complain about X thing again!" when I run into poo poo in my game that I'd complain about in another person's game (like delayed release dates, stupid bugs etc).... but I feel like there's just been plenty of time for this new map. There's another reason besides hardness. Also I'm just so very incredibly sick and tired of this same map.

If it's about "esports balance" then put it on the test server and let us all have a go at it.

I dunno, I'm new to the community but I doubt they are purposely wasting their time. You have to prioritize something, and if they've hired new people with all the money they've made those people have to get up to speed, company bullshit, investor demands, event planning, bla bla bla. I'm just gonna play devil's advocate because in my own game we've been saying for months we're gonna add fishing because people REALLY wanted fishing and it would take like a week to add at most but every time it was time to add fishing some other loving thing came up that had to be put in first because either the test build was completely broken due to a crippling bug, or some other thing that's actually more important than fishing (save file sizes and loading times) that the user doesn't even really see or notice that much, and we're only a few people. For all we know they have some horrible legacy code they wrote 3 years ago that is dicking them over when it comes to adding a new map and everything will break and burn up in fire if they don't do it correctly/totally refactor.

That said if enough people want a new map its probably time for them to add that poo poo.

Shayl fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 1, 2017

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I feel you, I'm just a professional complainer and really bored of this map :(

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I heard the new map isn't going to be smaller but same as the current one. I was kind of looking forward to a condensed urban map, bleh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that arab buried city map is like 1/4 the size of the current map.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

1500 posted:

The point is not that he shoot to much, it is that he does not hit very often with the kar. Just my observation of watching a lot of hours of him playing. He is much better with the shotgun and AR then with the Kar.

Hitting people on the move is hard with the kar. I don't notice much difference between him and anyone else at the ranges and situations being discussed.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Speaking of, I'm never really sure. If the plane's say 1km away from where I want to be, which of these is faster for me? 126 over to my target then divebomb, or a straight line? 1st carries more speed over a longer distance, 2nd is a shorter distance but you're going slower and opening your chute higher.

I always draw the first line, jumping from the plane when I'm perfectly perpendicular to my LZ. I've gotten pretty good at hitting my target directly and I never have other players hitting my target before I do. Sometimes they will land at the same time- presumably using the same strategy as me. Never before though. Getting that low chute deployment is important

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

To be fair half the time he'll outright say that it's dumb to engage before he does but fighting people is more fun so here I go! Sometimes after he dies as well he'll say it was dumb for him to pick that fight in the first place and then shrugs. That's just his style

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

RizieN posted:

I feel you, I'm just a professional complainer and really bored of this map :(

I'm getting burned out as well. Good thing I bought the Mario x-com game and destiny hits next week. They really need fpp leaderboards, a new map and also climbing/vaulting.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I'm sorry choco ganked your entire team, but you seem a little obsessed at this point.

I have two posts total in this thread, how does that count as "obsessed" in your vocabulary?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

that arab buried city map is like 1/4 the size of the current map.

Is there more than one? Because they jsut said that new desert/city map will be the same size.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

BadOptics posted:

I have two posts total in this thread, how does that count as "obsessed" in your vocabulary?

So you are the guy in the video!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ChesterJT posted:

Is there more than one? Because they jsut said that new desert/city map will be the same size.

oh did they? when the info first came out it said it was much smaller. that sucks.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

oh did they? when the info first came out it said it was much smaller. that sucks.

Yeah that's why I was so disappointed. One of the Giant Bomb guys had an idea where the whole map is a skyscraper like Nakatomi Plaza and rather than jump in you rappel down the side and pick what floor you start on. I could get behind that.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Hamelekim posted:

I'm getting burned out as well. Good thing I bought the Mario x-com game and destiny hits next week. They really need fpp leaderboards, a new map and also climbing/vaulting.

What's the Mario X-Com game you speak of?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Excellent! Except that's not what we're talking about. He's talking about how to go as far as possible. We're saying, if the plane's travelling let's say 800m or 1200m away from Pochinki, what's the absolute fastest path there? Over and down, or straight line?

The answer to his original question was 126. For your question its the first line.

Just go at 126 until you're ~2 squares away from your target and then go straight down, maximizing the time spent dropping as well as hitting the speed needed to drop the lowest. If you do the second line a few times in hot areas you'll see people better at dropping than you fly past you and open lower, that is how they are doing it.

I looked through the 8-9 videos in the op assuming the parachuting one was there but it does't seem to be. Good thing we have all those montages. Wheres the patreon weedbaby???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ChesterJT posted:

Yeah that's why I was so disappointed. One of the Giant Bomb guys had an idea where the whole map is a skyscraper like Nakatomi Plaza and rather than jump in you rappel down the side and pick what floor you start on. I could get behind that.

looks like they updated the article i first read about the new map to reflect it's the same size. it seems like it'll be way too spread out at the full scale.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Groovelord Neato posted:

looks like they updated the article i first read about the new map to reflect it's the same size. it seems like it'll be way too spread out at the full scale.

God damnit I just read it and its exactly what I was hoping the new map wasn't... big open areas with more long range firefights in between small areas of dense buildings. Its like they did the exact opposite of less looting, more close range action. I can't wait to run through big empty deserts yayyyyyyyyyy

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

God damnit I just read it and its exactly what I was hoping the new map wasn't... big open areas with more long range firefights in between small areas of dense buildings. Its like they did the exact opposite of less looting, more close range action. I can't wait to run through big empty deserts yayyyyyyyyyy

At least there's no grass in a desert. Hopefully it really cuts down on snaking in the final circles

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sketch of the map btw:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Everyone post their after-reset small sample size totally sustainable stats

https://pubg.me/player/DyckBoss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Posting pubg.me links is extremely triggering to people that only play 1pp mode.

• Locked thread