Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Adult Ben should be played by the fat kid from Stand By Me who got buff when he aged, Jerry O'Connell or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

The Berzerker posted:

There are empty raincoats with IT balloons on drat near every corner in downtown Toronto today.

https://twitter.com/bronektdw/status/902900078955945984

It only has one arm :stonk:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Panfilo posted:

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah it seems like IT feeds off fear, apparently that's why it preys on children; their fears are tangible and stark, while adults fears are more rooted in reality.

But apparently in the book IT could also somehow manipulate adults? Hypnotizing them with its Dead Lights? Did they every explain why a grown adult would want to listen to some Fear Monster? Is IT manifesting itself as an overgrown weedy lawn and threatening to report them to their HOA or something?
It's all kind of related to how the kids forget their childhood when they move away. When you're in Derry, IT controls everything. IT's the same force that causes those disasters, makes people do awful things, and makes people ignore the awful events happening.

I'm rereading the book now in anticipation for the movie. As much as I love the Pennywise appearances, I REALLY love all the world building and setting Derry up like a real place, albeit one you would never ever want to live in.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kevyn posted:

It only has one arm :stonk:

They stole my idea. And added a raincoat.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm rereading the book now in anticipation for the movie. As much as I love the Pennywise appearances, I REALLY love all the world building and setting Derry up like a real place, albeit one you would never ever want to live in.

I reread The Gunslinger recently and am reading IT for the first time. Stephen King rightly gets a lot poo poo for the failings in his writing but those two books are reminders that when he was on, he was good goddamn writer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A Fancy Hat posted:

That's the stuff most book fans are hoping made it in, or at least if Part 1 is a hit maybe they can throw in for Part 2. None of it really moves the story forward, so typically it would be prime cutting room floor material, even if they did shoot it. But almost everyone who reads It says they love those portions.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

1stGear posted:

I reread The Gunslinger recently and am reading IT for the first time. Stephen King rightly gets a lot poo poo for the failings in his writing but those two books are reminders that when he was on, he was good goddamn writer.

The Gunslinger is surprisingly good. I really enjoyed it and jumped into the second one a couple days ago

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's all kind of related to how the kids forget their childhood when they move away. When you're in Derry, IT controls everything. IT's the same force that causes those disasters, makes people do awful things, and makes people ignore the awful events happening.

I remember watching the Dreamcatcher movie (which actually scared me senseless, I guess something about toothy nemotodes exploding out of your rear end will do that :tinfoil: ) and noting that the finale of the story took place in Derry.

It made me think that either Derry, Maine is some sort of epicenter of interdimensional bullshittery or just a really crappy town.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It’s both, really.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

clockworx posted:

Probably not spoiler but just in case:This is the first I've seen Bev with long hair. It's short in all the official promo materials. Wonder if the haircut itself is a plot point, probably from her crazy dad or Henry's gang?

This was a few pages ago, but I'm re-reading the book and in chapter three Bev's hair is waist-length with her husband and he calls it "whore's hair." So there's definitely something about it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Basebf555 posted:

That's the stuff most book fans are hoping made it in, or at least if Part 1 is a hit maybe they can throw in for Part 2. None of it really moves the story forward, so typically it would be prime cutting room floor material, even if they did shoot it. But almost everyone who reads It says they love those portions.

Apparently the black spot and the bradley gang at least have already been shot and are currently on the cutting room floor.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tom Guycot posted:

Apparently the black spot and the bradley gang at least have already been shot and are currently on the cutting room floor.

Ffs, the Black Spot spooked the poo poo out of me.

Watched the TV movie the other week and there's a bird for Mike at dinner, so nice little nod.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Tom Guycot posted:

Here's hoping for a Director's Cut or an Extended Version on DVD?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

GoingPostal posted:

Here's hoping for a Director's Cut or an Extended Version on DVD?

Maybe, but the director had specifically said he was hoping to use them in part 2.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

davidspackage posted:

I noticed a shot in the trailer of one of the kids floating in what looked like Its lair. I hope we get a full on ritual of Chüd, I imagine it as mostly blackness with the kids' voices and Its voice talking, maybe some sounds and flashes to indicate It is tossing their consciousness around. Can't wait.

I literally came in here to talk about this. I really think they can blow people's minds open just with the description of the discovery of that in the library book. Seriously, I've always been disappointed that the ritual itself is almost certainly not real or based in something that is because :sbahj: the insane balls it would take to do something like that irl. I mean, just imagine a kid hearing about that and see it with a kid's imagination. The idea of that was always really awesome to me.

Same thing with it-rodan. Look at it with kid's eyes and poo poo bricks. That could be an amazingly intense scene.

I wonder if they're gonna do anything about that scene near the end when Ben iirc realizes It is getting ready to have her babies

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I think the way you could honestly do it is not start the movies with the phone calls. Start with Mike and his research and transition to him finding out about the bridge murder and him admitting what is happening is actually happening again. You could get in an interview with the Black Spot or something of the sort. Or even do the cold open as the Black Spot and cut to a grown up Mike.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

1stGear posted:

I'd say he's on 85% of the time.

Even when he's off, his command of the language, his rhythm, his pace and his structure I usually find to be absolutely masterful. He's one of those writers that can write a weather forecast and still make it compelling and his skill, I find, is one of the greatest living testaments to the sheer value of hard work and practicing at something.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, his style makes him a very quick, engaging read. Even his books that suck I don't regret reading because they're rarely a huge time-sink.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Omnikin posted:

It's because It IS Derry. He crash landed millions of years ago and when people settled they were tainted by his powers. Everyone there is slowly being brainwashed or something to that effect- they're all hosed up in base ways that don't require active intervention from IT to take over/convince them to turn a blind eye.

The kids are right about the age to be able to percieve It as Lavos during the final showdown as adults...

:getin:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The audiobook for It is currently £2.99 on Audible.co.uk. Without a membership it's usually £29.99. No idea how long it'll be on offer for so check it out.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
We listened to that over the course of 4 8-hour trips from IL to NE and back, the reader is quite good but drat it's a long one.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Electromax posted:

We listened to that over the course of 4 8-hour trips from IL to NE and back, the reader is quite good but drat it's a long one.

I have the Steven Weber audiobook of IT. I like to pretend Norman Osborn is reading it to me.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

The kids are right about the age to be able to percieve It as Lavos during the final showdown as adults...

Adults aren't afraid of Lavos lmao

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mantis42 posted:

Adults aren't afraid of Lavos lmao

*Lavos Screaming Intensifies*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

I assume you meant Gygas.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

The Berzerker posted:

There are empty raincoats with IT balloons on drat near every corner in downtown Toronto today.

https://twitter.com/bronektdw/status/902900078955945984

When I first saw one of these I was walking behind it and when I turned around to see nobody in the raincoat I almost stopped breathing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That would make a good yard decoration for Halloween.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I still haven't seen that Part 2 is official yet (although it's practically guaranteed the way this movie is tracking) but the director is already talking about it here.

Sounds like they're saving the more cosmic weirdness for the next one. I'd be shocked if they don't do a little teaser at the end of this movie with a cameo by at least one grown up character.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Oooh. The stinger is adult Mike Hanlon putting down his notebook and getting his phone.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mike needs to be phoning people or talking about an Adrian Mellon-type murder at the end. I loved that part of the book. "The guy in the clown suit," Chris Unwin said, and shuddered. "The guy with the balloons.

It's nearly ten years since I read the book. Finished on 18th February 2008. Should I wait another 18 years for a re-read?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/1/16028300/stephen-king-it-movie-adaptation-book-recap-horror-summer

This was a good idea for an article.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

GoingPostal posted:

Oooh. The stinger is adult Mike Hanlon putting down his notebook and getting his phone.

It'll be this. Or Stan's suicide. Good call.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

BiggerBoat posted:

It'll be this. Or Stan's suicide. Good call.

Stans suicide would be the perfect way to end it IMO, but if they don't it would make a great introduction scene to part 2 too

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've had dreams about that loving clown since I started the book. Like legit nonstop.

Thankfully Pennywise and clowns aren't creepy to me in the slightest. It's just weird that fucker is inside my head almost every night.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I said it way early in the thread, but I'm super expecting the suicide to be a stinger after the credits. And I'm kind of expecting adult Stan to be played by someone of unexpected note, to sort of set the stage for more prestige actors to sign on for the sequel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I've had dreams about that loving clown since I started the book. Like legit nonstop.

Thankfully Pennywise and clowns aren't creepy to me in the slightest. It's just weird that fucker is inside my head almost every night.

You're being tenderized.

Sucks, cause I like your posts and will miss you when you're floating.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pennywise is a bitch. I'll bop him on his nose if that my tried to float me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The only clown I dream about is Homie the Clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QhuBIkPXn0

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
We play that. We all play that. And when you're down here...you'll play that, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I just bought the last two tickets for the 7 PM Alamo Drafthouse screening in Brooklyn next Friday. All the Thursday night shows are booked. I feel like this movie is about to do really, really well.

One question is this: Say the movie does well, they do a sequel, it does well. They announce they're making a prequel that takes place in colinial Derry. ya'll down or no?

• Locked thread