Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BobbyK posted:

It seems like you do care actually.

lol good comeback bro and way to miss the point of what I posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Tattoos can be beautiful art, they can be tacky faded reminders of youth, they can be squiggly line art done with shampoo for ink from your stint in prison.
They are personal and invite speculation about their meaning and origin.
They are conversation starters.

They are never in indication of "that type of person", like not for the past 20 years at least. I mean, if "that type of person" is "literally anyone under 35" then I guess it does.

It's just like long hair or earrings on guys or ladies wearing pants and cutting their hair.

if you still get upset about it, you are a fossil, a relic of a bygone age of ignorance.

You are still allowed to get upset about gender identity, so jump on that while you still can, I guess.

Some STDidH, I had a geometry teacher in high school who had a navy tattoo from WWII. He was old and the tattoo looked like a stretched out drawing done in colored pencil. He'd never had it re-inked or cleaned up.

What I'm saying is, if you have tattoos, remember that they require occasional touch-ups throughout your life or they look like rear end.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
tattoos say you have no self control and cant be trusted not to permanently scrawl poo poo on your body because you think it looks artsy

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
imagine being so banal and uninteresting you have to permanently mark your skin just to start conversations

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

This dog is no friend of mine!

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

your friend a dog posted:

imagine being so banal and uninteresting you have to permanently mark your skin just to start conversations

Imagine being so banal and uninteresting that you have your bad opinions.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Imagine being so banal and uninteresting that you have your bad opinions.

Just to start online conversations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

tattoos say you have no self control and cant be trusted not to permanently scrawl poo poo on your body because you think it looks artsy

Tattoos themselves aren't a problem, it's when people complain about not being allowed to show them at work, in their corporate cubicle jobs, which incidentally aren't the correct places or contexts to beg people to have conversations with you about your tattoos since egos and conformity to the workplace policies don't go together. It's like bitching about not being able to wear your Cannibal Corpse t-shirt to work and blaming the fact that old corporate execs can't handle death metal and just don't get you and your special-ness, rather than blaming it on the fact that your ego comes first in everything you do or your refusal to accept reality as it stands today.

Except instead of a t-shirt you can take off and just wear what your goddamn workplace has deemed professional, it's with permanent markings on your skin depicting flaming skulls you liked to doodle in pre-calculus, or your favorite comic book characters you love so much you think the world has to see them, regardless of how it affects your ability to get people to take you seriously.

It's hilarious because the conversation will end up with you trying to describe why your Wile E. Coyote tattoo on your forearm means something to you, and the person who asked only out of politeness just nodding their head and going, "Hmmm, cool I guess..."

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Just stay calm, great-grandpa, the nurse will be here any minute with your medication

life is killing me posted:

Tattoos themselves aren't a problem, it's when people complain about not being allowed to show them at work, in their corporate cubicle jobs, which incidentally aren't the correct places or contexts to beg people to have conversations with you about your tattoos since egos and conformity to the workplace policies don't go together. It's like bitching about not being able to wear your Cannibal Corpse t-shirt to work and blaming the fact that old corporate execs can't handle death metal and just don't get you and your special-ness, rather than blaming it on the fact that your ego comes first in everything you do or your refusal to accept reality as it stands today.

Except instead of a t-shirt you can take off and just wear what your goddamn workplace has deemed professional, it's with permanent markings on your skin depicting flaming skulls you liked to doodle in pre-calculus, or your favorite comic book characters you love so much you think the world has to see them, regardless of how it affects your ability to get people to take you seriously.

It's hilarious because the conversation will end up with you trying to describe why your Wile E. Coyote tattoo on your forearm means something to you, and the person who asked only out of politeness just nodding their head and going, "Hmmm, cool I guess..."

Corporations don't want employees to have visible tattoos, unnatural hair colors, weird haircuts, piercings, etc. because corporations do want employees to be indistinguishable, interchangeable automata, and you're eagerly defending a dehumanizing system, hth

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Aug 30, 2017

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Besesoth posted:

Just stay calm, great-grandpa, the nurse will be here any minute with your medication

Corporations don't want employees to have visible tattoos, unnatural hair colors, weird haircuts, piercings, etc. because corporations do want employees to be indistinguishable, interchangeable automata, and you're eagerly defending a dehumanizing system, hth

Yeah bro, and those tattoos that you (and every other rear end with an hour or so to kill) got clearly shows you're unique and special. It's not like almost everyone has it.

If you want to paint your skin, go for it, don't pretend it makes you unique or that you're sticking it to the man.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I'm getting this entire straw-man argument conversation tattooed on my neck. Take that, corporate America :c00lbutt:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Ugh, you bought that shirt with [THING] on it? Good luck ever getting a job wearing that [THING]. Bet you think you're really cool and unique huh? *adjusts grey, no-name-brand sweatsuit* yeah... *sweating visibly* pretty cool and... unique... uhh? *deposits small amount of semen into sweatpants*

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Yeah bro, and those tattoos that you (and every other rear end with an hour or so to kill) got clearly shows you're unique and special. It's not like almost everyone has it.

If you want to paint your skin, go for it, don't pretend it makes you unique or that you're sticking it to the man.

how'd you type this out while crammed deep into a locker, you nerd

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Look at these losers doing things because they like them. What a bunch of losers, having things they like in TYOOL 2017. Not like me, the cool person with the ultra radical and edgy opinion that everyone who's not exactly like me is broken and who also can't figure out why people think I'm a dick for 'telling it like it is'.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Shouldn't you be writing a manifesto and sending bombs to people in the mail? You sound like the kinda guy who'd do that out of a cabin in the woods or something

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

life is killing me posted:

Shouldn't you be writing a manifesto and sending bombs to people in the mail? You sound like the kinda guy who'd do that out of a cabin in the woods or something

You must be a real hoot at the anime club meetings.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Please, take this STDH, I'll find you more if you want, just stop with the tattoo chat

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Haifisch posted:

Look at these losers doing things because they like them. What a bunch of losers, having things they like in TYOOL 2017. Not like me, the cool person with the ultra radical and edgy opinion that everyone who's not exactly like me is broken and who also can't figure out why people think I'm a dick for 'telling it like it is'.

You misunderstood me. I think people should do whatever they want with their body. It's seeing this act of consumption as a sign of rebellion that is just loving idiotic

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

My son regained the ability to walk thanks to onison videos

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You must be a real hoot at the anime club meetings.

The guys in my anime club have no sense of humor, but the brony club really loves me, thanks for the sentiment

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Zelder posted:

My son regained the ability to walk thanks to onison videos

Wasn't he the guy accused of sexually.. Troubling relations with his fans?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Wasn't he the guy accused of sexually.. Troubling relations with his fans?

At this point I feel like that describes the majority of youtube personalities

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
All the youtubers get older but their fans stay the same age.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
What in the gently caress happened in this thread, you guys are the worst.

Fake self praise is so hilariously sad to me. I wonder what path leads you to post a fake letter on Facebook about how you helped a girl overcome her eating disorder.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Fathis Munk posted:

What in the gently caress happened in this thread, you guys are the worst.

i really thought i was in the tattoos thread despite that i just closed that one, like when you accidentally open the same thread twice and the second one just loads the next page you didn't read yet

Aleph Null posted:

Some STDidH, I had a geometry teacher in high school who had a navy tattoo from WWII. He was old and the tattoo looked like a stretched out drawing done in colored pencil. He'd never had it re-inked or cleaned up.

What I'm saying is, if you have tattoos, remember that they require occasional touch-ups throughout your life or they look like rear end.

this actually owns? i'm okay with old people and their old tattoos looking old

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

As someone that works in a corporate setting I can comfortably say that lovely tattoos will prevent you from getting a job, but no one cares about regular tattoos .

Got some tasteful classic style tats on your arm, whatever who gives a poo poo if you bring the business in. Got a scrawled 1488 stabbed into your forehead with the blunt point of a ball point pen? Probably not office material.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sinburger posted:

As someone that works in a corporate setting I can comfortably say that lovely tattoos will prevent you from getting a job, but no one cares about regular tattoos .

Got some tasteful classic style tats on your arm, whatever who gives a poo poo if you bring the business in. Got a scrawled 1488 stabbed into your forehead with the blunt point of a ball point pen? Probably not office material.

One of my coworkers has a tattoo of a ghost (like a bedsheet ghost) doing a sick ollie on a skateboard.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

chitoryu12 posted:

One of my coworkers has a tattoo of a ghost (like a bedsheet ghost) doing a sick ollie on a skateboard.

Management material.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sinburger posted:

Also in non-USA it may be really loving hard to find a qualified candidate for any position who doesn't have visible tattoos unless you're looking to hire a middle-aged person. (Not that there's anything wrong with hiring a middle-aged person.)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Also in non-USA it may be really loving hard to find a qualified candidate for any position who doesn't have visible tattoos unless you're looking to hire a middle-aged person. (Not that there's anything wrong with hiring a middle-aged person.)

I don't know if that's true. In large parts of Asia tattoos are still considered pretty not good even outside of a professional setting, worse than in the USA overall. It's loosened up a bit in the past decade or so but there's still plenty of stuff like how Japan has a lot of hot springs and stuff that just don't let anyone with any tattoos in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't know if that's true. In large parts of Asia tattoos are still considered pretty not good even outside of a professional setting, worse than in the USA overall. It's loosened up a bit in the past decade or so but there's still plenty of stuff like how Japan has a lot of hot springs and stuff that just don't let anyone with any tattoos in.

I forgot Asia existed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I had a stdh when I was a kid/early teen where I had this sort of embellished or outright false memory* of totally owning this bully in 5th/6th grade by moving out of the way when he was trying to ram me into a locker or something, causing the bully to run into the locker instead. I had completely convinced myself this actually happened, until actually taking the time to doubt and reexamine the story when I got older.

I think many stdh things are like this, in that the person actually genuinely believes something happened because they've integrated the story into their identity and it doesn't really benefit them to be skeptical and examine the story more closely. My dad has a bunch of these stories, and the annoying thing is you can't really debunk most of them (though occasionally you come across one that shows up on Snopes or something as an urban legend).

*I also had this false memory of having some sort of leading role in a play in elementary school, and this memory stuck around until I was a grown adult. I was genuinely confused when I mentioned it to my parents and they told me "uh, you were never in any plays, even as a supporting role." Like, somehow this memory was just fabricated whole cloth, and I don't remember it ever being a conscious decision on my part.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Sep 1, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Memories are treacherous things. My fav thing is that afaik every time you recall a memory you need to pull it out of long term memory into your working memory. While it is in working memory there's a good chance some aspect will be distorted so that when you store it again you store a slightly altered version.

Your favourite memories, the ones you recall the most, are the most false.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My most recalled memories are the incredibly embarrassing things I did in my teens that haunt me every moment awake or not so I'm glad they're mainly false. Can't believe mam made me wear those shoes to that disco...

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My sister used to lie a whole lot to the point where she ended up believing a whole bunch of the lovely rumors she started. Source amnesia is a gently caress.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My sister used to lie a whole lot to the point where she ended up believing a whole bunch of the lovely rumors she started. Source amnesia is a gently caress.

In 11th grade, there was a girl in Drama Club who pissed off virtually everyone (including all of her existing friends) through really lovely behavior. She decided that the appropriate way to deal with this was to dramatically fall, lightly knock her head on the ground, and wake up claiming total amnesia of the entirety of high school.

Surprisingly, she stuck with it even after other people figured out it was fake (which didn't take long). Just went through the rest of high school pretending to have lost all her memory of everyone so she had an excuse to rebuild all her relationships. Somehow her broke brain told her that the appropriate response was not to apologize for being a jerk, but to force everyone else to wipe the slate clean.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My friends sister created a whole online ecosystem of social media for Sonny Moore and pretended to date him.

Years later we would look at her and go "Holy poo poo Sam, your sister dated Skrillex!"

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Cross-posting from the IOSM thread:

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/903835960819023872

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/903902411361746946
https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/903905213446225920
https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/903907665465798656
https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/903910056676270080
https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/903911036121747457

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Where there is shrimp, there's Jeff