Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

More like old reportedless

Meh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Protip to take advantage of restaurant marketing:

Write 3 star Yelp reviews that are generally positive about the restaurant. It shows you're close enough to flip it to 4 stars and they try to buy that extra star with gift cards or free appetizers. One steakhouse sent me a $100 gift card to convince me to up my review (it didn't). (And for my own integrity, I have never done this on purpose, but it happened a dozen or so times just the same and it is always with 3 star reviews)

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
A few days late, but I used to work in corporate for one of the huge dining conglomerates and that Olive Garden beat down entertained the hell out of me.

It was like a mirror-world mean version of our annual general meeting presentations :allears:

Also, the only chain that even the most artisanal bespoke organic hipster AND old boomers like around here is The Keg. The Keg is the tits.

Me and my fellow millennials usually just do the "appetizers and enormous cocktails/glass of wine route though", which I'm assuming works out very well for The Keg considering how much better the margins for booze are compared to food.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

More like old hateless.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Saw this in the wild today. This thread needs some life

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
"Honey I know we were really relying on the additional income I was going to bring in from my new construction job, but I'm afraid I got fired on my first day"

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Samsung just had to take this down from South Station in Boston

Mattapan and Alewife are at opposite ends of one of our subway lines (well, not quite, but that's how it looks on the map to someone from out of town), so the ad was intended to mean "we'll keep your stuff safe if you left your phone on the subway and it's going in the opposite direction you are". However, given the demographics of Mattapan, it came across as "we'll keep your stuff safe even if some black guy steals your phone" to people that live here.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Juicero has folded, the company behind that stupid $700 (later $400) "juicer" that was no better at squeezing its fancy packets of fruit and vegetables than a pair of human hands. http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/01/technology/business/juicero-shuts-down/index.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

garfield hentai posted:

Samsung just had to take this down from South Station in Boston

Mattapan and Alewife are at opposite ends of one of our subway lines (well, not quite, but that's how it looks on the map to someone from out of town), so the ad was intended to mean "we'll keep your stuff safe if you left your phone on the subway and it's going in the opposite direction you are". However, given the demographics of Mattapan, it came across as "we'll keep your stuff safe even if some black guy steals your phone" to people that live here.

Maps for reference:

The subway lines overlaid on real geography.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Sep 1, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Coulda just said Braintree, it’s even further away!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bobby Digital posted:

Coulda just said Braintree, it’s even further away!

And braintree is a shithole so it works.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Saw this in the wild today. This thread needs some life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAMmQdnfPY8

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
And wouldn't better copy be "...even if you got off at Park and your phone's headed for Alewife"?

Describing the exact scenario they're invoking without the obfuscated bullshit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
See I thought it was a terrorism joke (don’t let your packages out of your sight).

And Boston at that. But racism works too.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ya'll being Stretch Armstrong over here with this poo poo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I don't know if this is good or bad, but Halo Top Ice Cream just hired Mike Diva to make an ad for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IFNKYmLa8

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Who won't go to the meat department tho to check it out now?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Who won't go to the meat department tho to check it out now?

More like oldporkless.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
"Be strong" was the text of a supportive SMS that our current conservative PM sent to the treasurer of his party some years ago, when he was first accused of embezzling money (and later found guilty) and later of distributing it under the table amongst some big heads of their group. The case is still, and has been for some years, on trial and has sploshed a good number of people in the ruling party, including both current and past public charges and the afforementioned PM. The phrase became a catchphrase, primarily amongst leftist circles, used to mock the "everything is false" official attitude of the government.

A month or so ago Netflix started a campaign for the new season of Narcos. In a plain black background, in big white letters, it reads:

BE STRONG.
NARCOS IS BACK.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jiru posted:

"Be strong" was the text of a supportive SMS that our current conservative PM sent to the treasurer of his party some years ago, when he was first accused of embezzling money (and later found guilty) and later of distributing it under the table amongst some big heads of their group. The case is still, and has been for some years, on trial and has sploshed a good number of people in the ruling party, including both current and past public charges and the afforementioned PM. The phrase became a catchphrase, primarily amongst leftist circles, used to mock the "everything is false" official attitude of the government.

A month or so ago Netflix started a campaign for the new season of Narcos. In a plain black background, in big white letters, it reads:

BE STRONG.
NARCOS IS BACK.

It's loving crazy to me that American posters will casually mention their hometown, what industry they work in, where they went to college, and what neighborhood they live in in unrelated posts while non-American posters wont even tell you the name of their countrys PM for fear of getting doxxed.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Sep 10, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It's loving crazy to me that American posters will casually mention their hometown, what industry they work in, where they went to college, and what neighborhood they live in in unrelated posts while non-American posters wont even tell you the name of their countrys PM for fear of getting doxxed.

The Americans all have huge personal arsenals.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That's the freedom america provides

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

That's the freedom america provides

More like olddoxxless

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
going by the name, i 'm gonna assume narcos is about the criminal drug trade in some way, which to me means that using a criminals words to promote it is perfectly fine, especially if a politician is a prominent character on the show, which being on my phone means i can't google it to see at the moment but it doesn't in any sense seem like bad marketing

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Iron Crowned posted:

I hate the Outback, and I specifically hate the Bloomin' Onion :colbert:

iron crowned eat the onion

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There's being coy about information and then there's being deliberately obtuse and simultaneously ironically stupid about the affair by picking something incredibly pointed and specific. :psyduck:

"Be Strong" is a translated version of the ad campaign for Narcos, that's only posted in Spain. Because the controversy is involving members of the Spanish government. So even though the poster never specified, they can't be talking about anywhere but Spain. So it's not even like it could in any way be anything other than a deliberate reference to a criminal controversy used to promote a show about criminals, which is actually genius advertising.

It's even stylized like a generic text message.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

There's being coy about information and then there's being deliberately obtuse and simultaneously ironically stupid about the affair by picking something incredibly pointed and specific. :psyduck:

"Be Strong" is a translated version of the ad campaign for Narcos, that's only posted in Spain. Because the controversy is involving members of the Spanish government. So even though the poster never specified, they can't be talking about anywhere but Spain. So it's not even like it could in any way be anything other than a deliberate reference to a criminal controversy used to promote a show about criminals, which is actually genius advertising.

It's even stylized like a generic text message.

Trap sprung. Now that I know you and Jiru are Spanish, your two identities have been narrowed down to a mere 45 million. Just process of elimination now.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Yeah, sorry if I sounded too obtuse there, not my intention. I just wasn't that sure how familiar the name of the PM of Spain or of our political parties would sound to someone in Australia or wherever so I worded it generically. I apologize.

Also, while I do like the ad, and I think it's a clever way to advertise, I also did not vote for him. I think cashing in in the corruption controversy will not sit too well with the people who did. They tend to also be the older and more affluent demographic. So while the ad itself is good, the marketing move itself may qualify as dumb, which is why I posted it there.

Shellception has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Sep 11, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Jiru posted:

Yeah, sorry if I sounded too obtuse there, not my intention. I just wasn't that sure how familiar the name of the PM of Spain or of our political parties would sound to someone in Australia or wherever so I worded it generically. I apologize.

Also, while I do like the ad, and I think it's a clever way to advertise, I also did not vote for him. I think cashing in in the corruption controversy will not sit too well with the people who did. They tend to also be the older and more affluent demographic. So while the ad itself is good, the marketing move itself may qualify as dumb, which is why I posted it there.

Just tell us he's the Spanish PM and you're fine. This is all the admins' fault for getting rid of, like, half of the national flag smilies.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Its not really a dumb move in marketing but I couldn't think of a better thread. Mainly this really drives home for me that Gen X have replaced Boomers for this type of cultural reference:

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

jojoinnit posted:

Its not really a dumb move in marketing but I couldn't think of a better thread. Mainly this really drives home for me that Gen X have replaced Boomers for this type of cultural reference:

Considering that this is referencing a movie that is 31 years old, I think it does count as a dumb move even if their target audience gets the reference. Also I don't know about other people but when I think of Goose in Top Gun I don't think "Wow, he was a supportive and helpful partner", I think "Oh poo poo, in the movie Goose dies.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

King of Foolians posted:

Also I don't know about other people but when I think of Goose in Top Gun I don't think "Wow, he was a supportive and helpful partner", I think "Oh poo poo, in the movie Goose dies.
hahaha poo poo I completely forgot about that

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not to mention the whole homoerotic subtext. Not that there's anything wrong with it of course, but probably not the image they went for.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Here it is, the lamb ad currently causing a diplomatic incident between Australia and India

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8kuoFGgj8s

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Slugnoid posted:

Here it is, the lamb ad currently causing a diplomatic incident between Australia and India

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8kuoFGgj8s

So the official complaint is coming from the Indian High Commission in Australia.

Not to be confused with the Indian High Commission in the UK who officially complained about an episode of Top Gear.

Man, they are whiny.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What is the complaint?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
apparently ganesh eating meat isnt canon or something

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Not to mention the whole homoerotic subtext. Not that there's anything wrong with it of course, but probably not the image they went for.

His cox ever onwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Slugnoid posted:

apparently ganesh eating meat isnt canon or something

http://www.hcindia-au.org/Portal/ScrollingNews/45_1_8_9_17_Advertisement_of_Meat_and_Livestocks_Australia.pdf

quote:

High Commission of India
Canberra
PRESS RELEASE
The High Commission of India, Canberra, taking note of the protests of Indian community in Australia, have made a demarche to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Department of Communication and Arts and Department of Agriculture bringing to their notice an offensive advertisement by Meat and Livestock Australia that hurt the religious sentiments of the Indian community.

In a video advertisement released by Meat and Livestock Australia recently, Lord Ganesha along with other religious figures is found to be ‘toasting lamb’, which the Indian community consider to be offensive and hurting their religious sentiments.

The Consulate General of India in Sydney has taken up the matter directly with Meat and Livestock Australia and urged them to withdraw the advertisement.

A number of Community Associations have also registered their protest with Government of Australia and Meat and Livestock Australia.

(Wikipedia makes no mention of him being veggie)