Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I thought THT peaked toward the end, around eps 8-9.

Jeremy Saulnier is showrunning True Detective season 3, which inevitably means Macon Blair is going to show up at some point during the season. I would bet money he casts him somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, someone's hand is gonna get hosed UP.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My TV calendar website just flicked over to September. Wow, this month is stacked for premieres.

Narcos, Bojack, You're the Worst, Survivor, The Good Place, American Vandal, Vice Principals (!?) and motherfucking Nathan For You. FINALLY.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I just wrapped up watching season 1 of Ozark on Netflix. I'm surprised there's not a thread for it yet. Has anyone else watched it? Thoughts?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes, many people here have watched it and posted their thoughts out it here and in the ozark thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828142

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I have one episode of Ozark left, really enjoyed it.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I don't know why I couldn't find the thread but thanks for linking it. Excellent show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lurdiak posted:

Aw yeah, Netflix added the latest season of Bones at some point, it's time for me to watch some insultingly bad garbage.

It's amazing to think that show went from a generally unambitious procedural (with a stupid gimmick) to this ridiculous drama-filled nonsense. What a stupid end to a stupid show.

David Boreanaz's character even directly mentioned how much of a huge ripoff of Mulder and Scully the lead characters are, claiming they were "way better". Yeah, ok.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ozark is great.

Bones was garbage since season 1.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Why does a drat medical examiner have a gun?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

To shoot people, duh

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

She also has a blackbelt in jujitsu and she invented a holographic display. And is a bestselling author. And is autistic. She randomly assaults people because she can. Everything about Bones is terrible.

Oh also one of the lab techs is a billionaire who owns the entire lab, but it's a secret because he just wants to have a normal job.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My favorite part of Bones was that they crossed over with Sleepy Hollow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JjBbThv0_A

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And Family Guy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

She also has a blackbelt in jujitsu and she invented a holographic display. And is a bestselling author. And is autistic. She randomly assaults people because she can. Everything about Bones is terrible.

Oh also one of the lab techs is a billionaire who owns the entire lab, but it's a secret because he just wants to have a normal job.

They wisely dumped the holographic display after season 2 because it made the show look like star trek.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They should have dumped their cast and writers instead.

I'm actually real mad that Castle turned super lovely, because that was my fave in the romantic tension crime consultant procedural subgenre.

He when is there gonna be a gay one of those? You know, where it's like the exact same formula, with with a same-sex couple? Maybe a while longer? It's mostly the super-olds who watch those...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

5 or 6 years ago USA had some short lived buddy cop show and I was really confused by their advertising campaign because they really made the cops look like they were gay and in a relationship with each other. I don't know if they meant to or what but it was really weird.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

5 or 6 years ago USA had some short lived buddy cop show and I was really confused by their advertising campaign because they really made the cops look like they were gay and in a relationship with each other. I don't know if they meant to or what but it was really weird.

Yeah, I don't remember what it was called, but it was in the "Characters Welcome" era (unless they still have that - I'm not sure) and was about two partners who didn't get on because one was by the book and the other was a loose cannon but, rather than being reassigned as I imagine would happen in a normal police precinct, their captain sends them to couples counselling instead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's either Common Law or Graceland. Graceland had plenty of scenes of the two dudes shirtless and sweaty.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, I remember Graceland. I generally enjoyed that one but it did suffer a little at the start of the second season when they had to walk back how villainous Daniel Sanjuta's character was.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wasn't that Rizzoli and Isles show basically 'let's troll lesbians: the series'?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just learned the other day that it is based on a series of books.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

esperterra posted:

Wasn't that Rizzoli and Isles show basically 'let's troll lesbians: the series'?

The name of that show was on the tip of my tongue for this topic! I never got to see it, but people online seemed to really like the thought of the main characters together. I think if the world's ever getting a gay "will they won't they" procedural, it's probably going to go with a lesbian twist first.

Edit: Oh poo poo! I forgot about Lucifer. Granted, he's paired with a female, but the guy is not shy about swinging both ways and being upfront about it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

Common Law is what you are thinking of. It starred Michael Ealy, who should be in more things. You probably thought that because the premise of the show is that they were partners that didn't like each other so instead of reassigning them like any competent police chief would do they instead ordered them to get couples therapy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Common Law is what you are thinking of. It starred Michael Ealy, who should be in more things. You probably thought that because the premise of the show is that they were partners that didn't like each other so instead of reassigning them like any competent police chief would do they instead ordered them to get couples therapy.

He and Karl Urban made Almost Human watchable. I would say that I'm sad it got cancelled, but really I'm sad it wasn't good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Almost Human was great, he said, struggling to remember anything from the show besides Karl Urban throwing his partner out the car for mouthing off to him

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Almost Human was great, he said, struggling to remember anything from the show besides Karl Urban throwing his partner out the car for mouthing off to him

I mean it wasn't terrible. It had real promise. Also fox showed all the episodes out of order, which is why it seemed like they hated each other one week and were cool with each other the next.

Best scifi buddy cop show where one partner is a secretly sentient robot since Total Recall 2070.

God I love Total Recall 2070.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

precision posted:

John Larroquette was the world's preeminent genius scientist who was, in fact, working with the show's version of THE OTHERS, and went over the show's version of THE WALL to set up the big mythology

Everybody in the future loved soccer

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I forgot about that poo poo too.

In Total Recall 2070, it's Martin Sheen and he's literally playing the same character he played in Mass Effect. They even meet him in VR.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There needs to be an agreement with networks that sci fi shows need more than one season before it gets good. First seasons are always terrible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
HOW ABOUT THEY JUST SHOW THE loving EPISODES IN ORDER?!?!! HOW BOUT THAT, HUH?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Snak posted:

I mean it wasn't terrible. It had real promise. Also fox showed all the episodes out of order, which is why it seemed like they hated each other one week and were cool with each other the next.

Yes; Fox, as is their wont, pushed the episode about FATAL FUCKBOTS way up through the production order so it was the second broadcast episode. They then aired the next 3 episodes in order, then WHIPPED back to episode 3, went to 10, then back to 2.

It's gotta be said - Urban and Ealy had great chemistry in all the patrol car scenes, no matter where they were in the overarching plot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the new Mogwai album has a song called "Don't Believe the Fife" :newlol:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Yeah, Almost Human was a bad show and almost all of its support was just tribalism from sci-fi nerds who were still sore about Firefly being cancelled.

JethroMcB posted:

Yes; Fox, as is their wont, pushed the episode about FATAL FUCKBOTS way up through the production order so it was the second broadcast episode. They then aired the next 3 episodes in order, then WHIPPED back to episode 3, went to 10, then back to 2.

It's gotta be said - Urban and Ealy had great chemistry in all the patrol car scenes, no matter where they were in the overarching plot.

There was almost no overarching plot or serialization so it really didn't matter, it was basically another braindead procedural buddy cop show only its idea of cases "ripped from the headlines" was crap like people 3d-printing drugs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, Almost Human was a bad show and almost all of its support was just tribalism from sci-fi nerds who were still sore about Firefly being cancelled.

You should see the thread for The Orville. Star Trek fans are so loving thirsty some of them are even starting to think it may be a good show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Watching 30 Rock on Netflix and just got a "this show is on until October 1st" pop up. Looks like another staple is gone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't see much of Almost Human, but if Guy Mann hates it maybe it's time to check it out.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You should see the thread for The Orville. Star Trek fans are so loving thirsty some of them are even starting to think it may be a good show.

On one hand I love Galaxy Quest and thought Ted was way better than I expected.

On the other hand Seth Macfarlane casting himself as the live-action lead is comedy poison.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Seth MacFarlan loves star trek, though. I think it's gonna be a real passion project for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snak posted:

Seth MacFarlan loves star trek, though. I think it's gonna be a real passion project for him.

So's drinking, it doesn't mean it's healthy for him.

• Locked thread