Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

UmOk posted:

Palpatine talked about bringing peace to the Galaxy. He might be the only character in Stam Wars to even mention peace.

Obi-Wan refers to Jedi as guardians of peace and justice. Vader mentions ending the destructive conflict. Doesn't Chancellor Valorum quote Neville Chamberlain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Brother Entropy posted:

the first order is what neo-nazis like to imagine they are, just like how the resistance is what modern democrats like to imagine they are

Again, not actually. Today's white supremacism is a mixture of revelling in feelings of abject impotence and a corresponding sense of entitlement. The fundamental logic is "I'm a piece of poo poo, I'm worthless, I'm weak, and therefore I should be allowed to do anything!" White supremacists have no illusions of ever gaining power, let alone building ridiculous megastructures. To actually win would go against their whole sour-grapes philosophy.

War For The Planet Of The Apes has a pretty solid depiction of a white supremacist survivalist enclave.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Is there any supplemental reading for the new series of movies?

I used to love Star Wars as a kid and enjoyed the whole Tales from the Bounty Hunters, Jabba's Palace and Mos Eisley until they retconned Boba Fett's true name from being Jaster MeReel and wanted to know if there was something equivalent to that now. I am not expecting high literature, but not expecting it to be hot garbage either.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEw5H_LSoQ

ALEC WAS RIGHT
L
E
C

W
A
S

R
I
G
H
T

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Just call them Nazi(empire) enthusiasts or something so smugstick doesn't have to pretend he doesn't know what you're talking about.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Kylo Ren did nothing wrong

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The First Order is oddly multicultural, like a Death Wish gang.

Ever since Disney took over this is true of the Empire too. Now the Empire has people of colour and lesbians in high ranking positions. It's dumb.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm talking about the film, not the novelization. And he's clearly bullshitting anyway.
It's what everyone in the FO believes (Hux's grand speech comes to mind) and the novel is still a canonical source of information and would've made the movie infinitely better, but they cut all the important info dumps because they wanted an OT rehash instead of building a new coherent world

Oh well, such is the way of things

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
In the next episode it will be revealed that the FO started as a satirical/ironical movement like the Applefront that spun out of control.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Vinylshadow posted:

It's what everyone in the FO believes (Hux's grand speech comes to mind) and the novel is still a canonical source of information and would've made the movie infinitely better, but they cut all the important info dumps because they wanted an OT rehash instead of building a new coherent world

Oh well, such is the way of things

what does hux say now again ive forgot

like legit it's a bunch of nothing isn't it

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm currently in my 30's, living in a fantasy world of childish banalities.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

An evil BB-8? How are they not out of ideas?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PriorMarcus posted:

Ever since Disney took over this is true of the Empire too. Now the Empire has people of colour and lesbians in high ranking positions. It's dumb.

Prequels are good moment: the anodyne Republic very quickly and quietly becomes (white male) human supremacist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 1, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

why is their coloreds and womens in my star wars. and little white cuckballs. not my empire. kek

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wild Horses posted:

what does hux say now again ive forgot

like legit it's a bunch of nothing isn't it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWENGFKQaL0

Such fervor, such symbolism

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wow, this is way worse than I remember it.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

HIRE 👏 MORE 👏 WOMEN 👏 STORMTROOPERS

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

Just call them Nazi(empire) enthusiasts or something so smugstick doesn't have to pretend he doesn't know what you're talking about.

The narrative is not about 'Civil War reenactor' nerds. The narrative is alt-history "WHAT IF... Confederates won the Civil War?!" silliness.

The baddies only come across as the former because of crap design.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nroo posted:

HIRE 👏 MORE 👏 WOMEN 👏 STORMTROOPERS
There were female stormtroopers in Rogue One and we saw female cadets in Star Wars Rebels

They wear the same armor as the males do instead of midriff-baring boobplate armor that screams "shoot me!"

Plus, could you imagine wearing something like that on, oh, Hoth or Endor?
Have fun dealing with the elements while your other squad members are comfortable(ish) inside their body-covering armor that keeps out the elements

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

He doesn't like the Republic.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I guess the new bit here is that, unlike detached British imperial rear end in a top hat Peter Cushing, Domhnall Gleeson is young and really into it. But what exactly is he into? Not the Republic, I guess, but beyond that things are a little vague. His hat has some silly flaps that make him look like some kind of officer cadet or cosplayer. He's angry and therefore Bad.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
TFA made me appreciate the prequels so much more. TFA is so bad.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Really? I thought TFA was objectively amazing and the prequels rather terrible. They were so bleak and lacked heart! Especially with all the CGs.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The prequels had too much heart, really. George Lucas's heart is weird af.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
No Star Wams fan will ever be happy with Ster Wars. None.

PS: gently caress Rebels

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I always enjoy TFA in the moment, but there's too much stuff that seems half-explored like the Knights of Ren or where the hell the First Order came from

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I always enjoy TFA in the moment, but there's too much stuff that seems half-explored like the Knights of Ren or where the hell the First Order came from

Same. 3 flows into 4 much better than 6 flows into 7.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
JJ wrote TFA like you'd write the pilot to a would-be longing running TV series.

Hmm...

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

porfiria posted:

The prequels had too much heart, really. George Lucas's heart is weird af.

Yeah, but when you get George Lucas's heart, you get literal volcano hell planets and Ray Harryhausen monsters.

Now we're just left with Porgs and BB-H8.

poo poo, the Ewoks didn't even have this kind of pre-film marketing push. They were literally blacked out on the backs of early release Return of the Jedi figures.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Mecha Gojira posted:

Yeah, but when you get George Lucas's heart, you get literal volcano hell planets and Ray Harryhausen monsters.

Now we're just left with Porgs and BB-H8.

poo poo, the Ewoks didn't even have this kind of pre-film marketing push. They were literally blacked out on the backs of early release Return of the Jedi figures.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/31/16233874/star-wars-bb-9e-evil-bb-8-droid-the-last-jedi

I know this was already posted I just love evil BB8. So dumb.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

grieving for Gandalf posted:

You know there's two films left in the trilogy...right?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

'just wait for the next movie' is weak

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Brother Entropy posted:

So ongoing storylines are a no-go?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Is it too much to ask that a movie be good on its own, rather than half reboot, half "we'll figure out how to make this pay off later"?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

I'm still pissed that Jorge Lukas made me wait 15 years after RoTJ to find out what a Jedi was.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

jivjov posted:

That's a given, but sometimes loose threads aren't always welcome, and feels symptomatic of the new MCU. One of the wonderful things about the original movie(s) is that those elements that took hold of public imagination weren't even necessarily planned. For God's sake, nobody even realized that Darth Vader was going to be such a sensation; he wasn't supposed to hold any more weight than Tarkin.

In TFA, it feels like an enormous amount of effort was put into planting mysteries, which don't feel as fun to speculate about when they are so deliberate and contrived. When the information isn't withheld in a graceful way, it feels like a forced mystery that isn't any fun to ponder. With A New Hope, there isn't a lot left for the audience to wonder about other than sort of ancillary or residual marginalia about the universe- all the information you need to understand the story is included in the film (same with The Phantom Menace). In TFA, critical pieces of information are withheld simply to entice you to watch another film. It's stylistic and subjective, but it doesn't work for everyone, myself included.

So much of what propels ANH is understanding Luke and his background, where he came from, what drives him, etc. TFA really bottomed out on that aspect of the film.

And, as this thread can attest, there's an enormous amount of (unintentional) confusion about who the bad guys are, where they came from, what their motivations are, etc. They feel reverse engineered from a storytelling perspective. An evil empire is more or less self-explanatory, The First Order feels like an incoherent mish-mash of ideas that were selected to ensure that we could keep putting Stormtroopers in a Star Wars movie.

edit: I really think the best thing to do with the anthology movies would've been to make them bridging films starring non-familiar characters that can explore the interstitial period in between each trilogy (Rogue One is essentially Episode 3.95 so that doesn't count). But a film that takes place between ROTJ and TFA, starring none of the regular characters, whose purpose is primarily to tell an interesting stand-alone story unbounded by the normal strictures of the Skywalker story, with the ability to fill in some story gaps would be a good idea.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 2, 2017

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

I'll call it what it is: a black repaint.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm not sure. The Force Awakens has more that is vague about it than any other of the others, but everything vague in any of the six has the advantage of being expanded on very satisfyingly in the other five. I can't separate my understanding or enjoyment of any of the George Lucas ones from my understanding and enjoyment of the rest of them. If I'm trying to compare or rank them, my own thoughts are suspect.

Despite the heterogeneity of styles, it seems to me that the sequel trilogy is being presented less three complete films and more a single work in three parts, even in comparison to Lucas' work (noting the irony that he was the one who popularized the trilogy format in the first place). At the very least, if that interpretation is the more flattering one, I'll gladly prefer it, since I like liking things. But obviously it's not possible to interpret The Force Awakens as part of a whole if the other parts of that whole don't exist yet, and standing alone it's a movie that glosses over or even just skips many things that could give it badly wanted specificity. The timidity is frustrating as it's certainly capable of being provocative and meaningful when it wants to.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

porfiria posted:

I guess the new bit here is that, unlike detached British imperial rear end in a top hat Peter Cushing, Domhnall Gleeson is young and really into it. But what exactly is he into? Not the Republic, I guess, but beyond that things are a little vague. His hat has some silly flaps that make him look like some kind of officer cadet or cosplayer. He's angry and therefore Bad.
I bet he sleeps with a Porg plushie and keeps getting into fights with Kylo Ren who keeps stealing his vintage Darth Vader action figures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Funny thing is the Marvel Darth Vader comic already did this with an evil C-3PO & R2-D2

• Locked thread