Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

:fut:

We are now strong enough to do seven push-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You are strong enough - and smart enough - to resist the trance! When you are out of the troll's sight, you reach your fingers up to your ears - and pull out a SUPER-STRENGTH O from each ear!

"That's better," you say. "Now I can hear again." Plugging your ears with O's so you wouldn't hear the troll's whistle worked! Without his whistle, the troll is powerless. After your muscles disappeared, you plugged up your ears with the O's. Then you just pretended to obey his command.

"Come back!" Todd cries out again.

"That's exactly what I plan to do," you say softly to yourself. Quietly, you tiptoe back up the path to where the troll has just changed his size to mini-troll. He is perched on a branch of a low shrub. He speaks right into Todd's and Lauren's ears. "You will be in my absolute power forever," the troll says to his two captives. "With or without the O's, I can control your every move with my voice!" He puckers up his lips and prepares to whistle.

Lauren sees you sneaking up behind the troll. You put a finger to your lips and signal her to keep quiet.

quote:

In one quick motion you reach for the open SUPER-STRENGTH BOX. You throw it over the tiny troll. You stuff him in the box and close it tightly.

"Gotcha!" you cry triumphantly.

"No!" screams the troll from inside the box. "No! You can't do this to me! I am the Master of the Box! You'll be sorry. You will, you will! I'll get you for this!

Lauren and Todd laugh at the sight of the box jiggling around on the ground. The little troll inside is rocking it back and forth.

"No! No! No!" he screams again.

What in the world are you going to do with a jumping box of SUPER-STRENGTH O's and a mean little troll? Then the answer comes tramping through the bushes.

quote:

"Well, look who's here. Nerdo and his pals." Sharky Murphy sneers. "Still looking for that box of yours?" Sharky and his brothers push their way through the bushes.

"Hey, what's that other box over there?" Jess asks. He points to the rocking box, which is now bumping around even more.

"Nothing to worry about," you say as you reach into your pockets and pull out some SUPER-STRENGTH O's. "You boys hungry?"

Todd's looking at you like you're totally crazy!

"Care for a little midnight snack?" you offer nicely.

"Give me all of it!" Sharky snaps. He grabs the handout. "Here," he says, passing some O's to Buck and Jess. "It's free!"

As the Murphys chomp on the O's, the box jumps up and down. "No! No!" the troll shouts from inside the box.

Sharky leans down to pick up the jumping box. He puts his ear to it to listen. "What the...?" he starts to say, but a sudden growth spurt of gigantic muscles stops him.

quote:

"Hey, look at me! I'm strong!" Sharky cries.

"Me, too!" Buck exclaims. He pushes an enormous fist in Todd's face.

"Me three," Jess says, testing his new strength by lifting Todd up.

"HELP!" Todd screams high above Jess's head.

"Hey, Sharky," you call over to the biggest brother. "I give up. You win. You can have Todd and this jumping box."

"What!" Todd hollers. "You can't leave me with them!"

You toss Sharky the jumping box with the troll still inside.

Jess puts Todd down. He hurries over to Sharky and Buck. Sharky starts to open the box.

At that moment you catch Lauren and Todd's attention. You give them a let's-get-out-of-here look. Then the three of you make a run for it.

When you are far enough away, you glance back and see exactly what you were hoping you would see.

quote:

The troll jumps out of the box and immediately makes himself bigger again. He begins to whistle and shout at the Murphy brothers. They try to cover their ears, but the muscles on their arms are too huge. They can't lift their own arms to their ears.

"Hahahahahahahaha," the troll laughs. "Now you are my slaves! You will obey me! Where is the red tin box the others are looking for? Tell me now!"

You, Todd, and Lauren watch in disbelief as the Murphys' muscles start shrinking. When the muscles are gone, the Murphys themselves start shrinking, too.

"Where is the box?" the troll repeats. "Tell me now, before I reduce you down to nothing!"

In a voice much smaller than his usual voice, Sharky calls out the answer the troll is looking for.

"What did he say?" Todd asks you. "Where is my box?"

quote:

"I don't know where your box is," you answer Todd. "The troll has made Sharky so small now, I can't even hear his voice."

Smaller and smaller and smaller. Sharky, Jess, and Buck are shrinking right before your eyes.

"Yes!" the troll cries as he jumps around gleefully. "Now I have the information I need. The red tin box will be mine. I will be the master of another box in WoodsWorld."

You, Lauren, and Todd creep over toward the troll. You hide behind the bushes and watch. The troll is climbing a large maple tree. He quickly scales the trunk and scampers into the leafy branches.

"Aha! I found it!" the troll cries. "It's beautiful!"

"That's my box!" Todd whines.

"Ssssh," you whisper, gazing up at the tree. "I have a plan." You sneak over to the base of the tree. You grab hold of the trunk and shake. You shake the tree with all your might.

The troll hangs on to a branch. He swings back and forth. But Todd's red tin box falls to the ground. Todd snatches it up.

"Run!" you cry. You and your friends take off. "Run faster!" you shout, glancing back at the troll high in the tree. You head for your cabin at top speed, because you now know what goes up, must always come down in

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Super-Strength O's

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Dropped Todd down a bottomless pit.
Gave the book the chance to pull some "all just a dream" bullshit on us.
Turned into a paper lantern because we failed a literature quiz.
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.
Gyzacck!
Ambushed by a werewolf masquerading as a doctor.
Got another loving "all just a dream" ending.
Ate the wrong magic cereal and turned into a fish.
Wasted our super-smarts on catching a dog.
Woke up from another goddamn dream, except Todd's a werewolf now.

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.
Gyzacck: Gyzacck? Gyzacck.
Gainax Ending: Received a grave warning from intelligent fire ants who can communicate in ASL because they ate magic cereal.
Gobstopper: Defeated an army of werewolves with a handful of candy.
gently caress This Book: Found every possible "dream" ending Werewolf Woods had to offer.
:siren:Your Problem Now: Solved our problems by making someone else deal with the magic cereal troll.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Enter the cave.
  • Howl at the werewolves.
  • Fly up to the werewolves.
  • Run for the woods.
  • Break the wall down.
  • Check on Lauren alone.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
we're running just as fast as we can

e: I like how 'there is a troll with magic cereal' is a more consistent theme in this book than 'there are werewolves'

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Break the wall down, I guess. It doesn’t matter, whatever it is it will be dumb.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can we vote for you to physically destroy this abomination

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

marijuanamancer posted:

Are you kidding? This deserves framing in a museum, no intentional piece of art could ever hope to match what was created here by apathy.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

marijuanamancer posted:

This is my vote.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Don't destroy it; just put it in a red tin box, then lose it in the woods.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wait a minute - Todd got his red tin box back. YOU GOT TODD'S BOX BACK AND RAN BACK TO THE CABIN! How the hell is that not a goal ending?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Leraika posted:

e: I like how 'there is a troll with magic cereal' is a more consistent theme in this book than 'there are werewolves'

This deserves emphasis.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

Wait a minute - Todd got his red tin box back. YOU GOT TODD'S BOX BACK AND RAN BACK TO THE CABIN! How the hell is that not a goal ending?

Book bad.

Seriously, this ghostwriter clearly hated what they were working on and didn't give a gently caress. The whole thing is exceptionally disjointed and disorganized. The endings that come out of nowhere are examples of reaching the required word count and going eh, good enough. The writer couldn't even stick to a theme, let alone stick to the victory condition.

Burn it. I bet the writer did, too.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

[quote="Leraika" post="475935546"
[/quote]
RNG says 3 but I say show us the other endings sequentially. I want to see what this book is, Event Horizon style.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

No, I'm not destroying the book, no matter how much it deserves it.

Anyway, I don't think any option got a majority vote, and I am well past the point of giving a poo poo, so I'm just going to give the good ol' random number generator a spin...

...and it's 1, so we're going into the cave.

quote:

"Come on, Todd," you say. You reach over and hold onto his arm. "We're going in the cave. We're not going to let those Murphy brothers scare us, are we?

"We aren't?" gulps Todd. "I mean, no! We aren't!"

A thin beam of moonlight shines into the mouth of the cave. You can see that the floor is pure slime.

You take one step forward. Your feet fly up into the air. You land flat on your back and bring Todd down with you.

Then you and Todd start sliding faster and faster.

"WHOA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A!" Your two voices blend into one. You squeeze your eyes shut. You feel as if you are sliding down the world's steepest water slide.

Down, down you go. Faster. Faster. You and Todd zoom down a slime-slicked tunnel in total darkness.

Just when you think your body can't take oen more second of this wild ride, it ends with a grand-slam BAM! You smash into a wet cave wall.

If you open your eyes now, go to PAGE 85.

If you can't bear to look, keep your eyes closed and try to turn to PAGE 7.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.
Gyzacck!

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.
Gainax Ending: Received a grave warning from intelligent fire ants who can communicate in ASL because they ate magic cereal.
gently caress This Book: Found every possible "dream" ending Werewolf Woods had to offer.
Your Problem Now: Solved our problems by making someone else deal with the magic cereal troll.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Rebonack7 posted:

No, I'm not destroying the book, no matter how much it deserves it.

Weak!

Maybe if we keep our eyes close, the book will think we're dead and it'll just go away.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Maybe if we keep our eyes closed, we'll miss Page 7 and land on the other goal ending. (Unless 7 is the goal ending, naturally.)

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

i dont have anything funny to say. go to page 7

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

it's gonna be funny if we keep our eyes closed when we hit and then we open them and it was all just a dream

Honestly, I'm having a great time with this book. It's a real page-turner, just not in the way they probably wanted.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, good call, in the end i couldn't bear if someone destroyed a book

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Closing our eyes and not looking seems like the best choice for dealing with this book.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You keep your eyes closed. Your body relaxes. You start to feel so light, so calm, so...

You open your eyes wide. What happened?

The bump against the cave wall must have really knocked you and Todd out. Whatever happened after that is a mystery to you both. You don't know how long you were lying in that pool of slime in that cave.

You gaze around. You're out of the cave now and sitting propped up against a big tree. The light of the full moon is shining directly on you and Todd.

Todd sits with his back to you. You look down and shriek!

There are hairy, clawed hands where your hands should be!

Then Todd turns his face toward you and smiles a fanged smile. You open your mouth to scream, but the only sound coming out is a sound you've heard before...

HOW-OW-OW-OWL!

You remember Sharky's words: This is a perfect night for the werewolves of WoodsWorld to come out.

Sharky was right. No one is safe here. Not now. Not ever. The werewolves now have two new members of the pack - you and Todd. Break out the shaving cream. Things are looking pretty hairy now!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!
:siren:Knocked ourselves and Todd out and woke up as werewolves.:siren:

Achievements
Your Problem Now: Solved our problems by making someone else deal with the magic cereal troll.

Our options posted:

• Run for the woods.
  • Break the wall down.
  • Check on Lauren alone.
  • Keep our eyes open.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 2, 2017

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Dice say check on Lauren alone

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Keep our eyes open.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Keep our eyes open, because it's fun seeing totally different outcomes as a result of incredibly minor choices that really shouldn't change anything.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

EYES WIDE shut OPEN

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You and Todd hit the cave wall with a giant THUD.

You both open your eyes at the same time and see the same eerie sight.

Eyes! Hundreds, no thousands, of bright yellow eyes. Eyes on the ceiling, on the walls, on the floor.

"Bats!" Todd exclaims. He sounds more amazed than scared. "They won't hurt us. I studied all about them for a science report."

You're not so sure Todd's right. Two bats fly right by your face. Their yellow eyes whiz past you like shooting stars. The flapping of their webbed wings creates a breeze that sends chills down your spine.

You whip your head around to move out of the bats' flight path. As you duck down, you feel bat wings brush across your face. Their tiny claws catch in your hair. Then they fly away, yanking out small clumps of your hair as they go.

The bats surround you. You turn to find Todd. It's hard to see through the thousands of flapping black wings. Where is he?

quote:

Todd is standing next to you. He is just as surrounded by the beastly bats as you are. But Todd is acting is if they are butterflies instead of bats. He's even reaching out his hands to them!

A sudden gust of wind blows through the cave. The bats beat their wings furiously, which creates an instant whirlpool. The force pulls Todd backwards.

You can't believe your own eyes! Todd is being sucked into a tunnel - a tunnel filled with yellow bat eyes.

"Todd!" you scream.

"Bats! Bats! Everywhere, bats!" Todd yells, as you watch him being drawn deeper and deeper into the tunnel. "They're beautiful!"

You knew this kid was weird. Now what are you supposed to do?

Go down the Tunnel of Eyes after Todd? Or turn back and run for help?

The eyes have it, if you turn to PAGE 47.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going... for help! Turn to PAGE 19.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!
Knocked ourselves and Todd out and woke up as werewolves.

Achievements

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Let's go down the tunnel and probably turn into a frickin' bat in this book about werewolves.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Bye, Todd!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Let's head into Bat Country.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Let's head into Bat Country.

Well, we certainly can't stop there.

Bats!

If we get really lucky, we could move to something with the narrative competence of an average episode of Adam West Batman.

Then again, that big a leap up might kill us from decompression sickness.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Go get help since it's the closest choice to abandoning Todd.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That the gusts from the Bat's wings formed a whirlpool and not, I don't know, a whirlWIND is simply baffling.

Let's go to the BATS! Decipher the riddle of the water-wings!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Check out those janked up water bats that our boy Todd loves so much.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The thing's hollow — it goes on forever — and — oh my God! — it's full of bats!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You know you have to try to save Todd from the bats. Even if he doesn't realize he needs saving. Even if it means you have to face millions of bat faces yourself.

You step into the tunnel. You don't even try to fight the power of the tunnel's air currents. You let your body be sucked into the open mouth of the black hole. Immediately you hear the THWAP of flapping wings.

THWAP! THWAP! THWAP!

The sound is so close to your ears it's deafening. You flap your own arms back at the bats. This clears the way in front of you. Now you can see the choice you must make.

There are two more tunnels at the end of this tight-squeezing passageway. Above the sound of the bat wings, you hear the roaring of rushing waves of water. The sound is coming from the tunnel on the left.

And from the tunnel on the right comes a wicked howling that can only be one thing - wolves.

To tackle the Tunnel of Waves, go to PAGE 51.

To brave the Tunnel of Wolves, go to PAGE 130.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!

Achievements

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Waves. The way this book's been going, I suspect it's more likely to have Werewolves than the tunnel of wolves is.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like most of our expertise is in cereal trolls. Are we sure there isn't a cereal troll tunnel? Waves, I guess.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Wavepool.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

CaptainCaveman posted:

Waves. The way this book's been going, I suspect it's more likely to have Werewolves than the tunnel of wolves is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

WHOOSH!

You step into the Tunnel of Waves. A sudden flood of icy water forces you forward through the tight-fitting tunnel.

"Todd!" you scream over the roar of the waves. "Todd! Are you in here? TODD!"

A disgusting smell of rotten eggs fills your nostrils. "Sulfur, yeecchh!" you say to yourself. You remember the same horrible smell coming from the old mill pond at home. You try not to breathe it in as you scream out one more time, "TODD!"

No answer.

You gasp for fresh air from somewhere, anywhere. Then you struggle against the pounding pressure. A wall of waves pushes you from behind.

It's no use. You stop fighting the waves. Instead you stretch your arms out over your head and go with the flow.

Water fills your ears, your eyes, your mouth. The enormous, crashing waves carry your body through the tunnel. There is no end in sight!

quote:

You're floating in a new tunnel now. You're sure of that. The feeling here is completely different. The tight grip of the waves in the Tunnel of Waves has loosened. You are floating on the surface of a calm, smooth body of water. The closeness of the tunnel's walls has given way to open air. Your eyes see nothing but blackness as you bob slowly up and down in the water. The sulfur smell is gone, replaced now by odorless air.

"I can breathe again!" you shout into the darkness.

"I can breathe again!" your own voice echoes back. "I can breathe again! I can breathe again1"

"Hello!" you cry, testing the echo again.

"Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello!" your voice returns from the pitch-black nothingness all around you.

You are alone. The only sound is the sound of your own voice. And the sound of your own breathing... But wait! What's that other sound right next to your ear?

quote:

You thought you were alone, floating in the darkness. And you thought your own breathing was the only sound around. But now, right next to your ear, you hear other breathing. Air is being sucked in and blown out. Air in. Air out.

You strain your ears to listen better. You hold your own breath so you won't confuse it with this new sound.

Yes. It is breathing. Slow, even, steady, deep breathing.

Air in. Air out. Air in. Air out.

The rhythm is as regular as a sleeping giant's breathing.

But in the darkness you see nothing. Your eyes are no help to your ears now. All you can do is listen.

Air in. Air out. Air in. Your own breathing begins to join in the rhythm.

quote:

Air in. Air out. Air in. Air out.

With the next air in, your floating speeds up. You're no longer bobbing slowly up and down on a calm body of water. Now you are being towed by some force you cannot see.

"Help!" you scream.

"Help! Help!" your own voice echoes.

"Oh, it's no use," you cry.

"Oh, it's no use! Oh, it's no use!" the echo agrees with you.

In one final pull of the air force, you are sucked into another tunnel. A long narrow tunnel. You zoom through the tunnel and land in a dark pit. "Oh, no!" you sob.

But this time there is no echo.

There is only a loud BURP.

The Deep Woods Lake monster has just swallowed you whole! Sad to say, you're all washed up. For you, this story has come to...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!
:siren:Eaten by the Deep Woods Lake monster.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Run for the woods.
  • Break the wall down.
  • Check on Lauren alone.
  • Go for help.
  • Enter the Tunnel of Wolves.