Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

Yeah, this'll really impress the guests at my impromptu company soiree banquet. How continental.

I imagine it tasting like raw onion and crunchy sadness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm the orange/onion/lettuce salad in the background.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Orange in salads is my Mums weird 70s trend that she sticks with. It's not too bad.

That and knowing how to cook literally everything in a microwave.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zenithe posted:

Orange in salads is my Mums weird 70s trend that she sticks with. It's not too bad.

That and knowing how to cook literally everything in a microwave.

Finely sliced fennel and orange go really well together in a salad.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Fair but the bad bibimbap is what you get in 99% of situations in Korea. I should have said normal in my original post, not actual.

Dolsot bibimbap is also a different thing. Regular is always bad.

One of the saddest things you've reported over the years I've read your posts is that normal korean food is kinda bad because man the 'real' idealised stuff generally rocks.

I guess it's like the general normal 'english' food and it's actual potential when done really well but the other way round. :smith:

Korean food in theory rocks so much and I love eating and cooking it.
edit: and yes I realise you've said before that the over sweetened kinda tasteless stuff is relatively new.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I know goons love chili so how about some white chili. This recipe is a goddamned nightmare. Highlights include boiled chicken, one jalapeno (only if you can handle the heat), almost no seasoning and then at the end you add cheese to it :psyduck:

Some additional nonsense:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

uPen posted:

Gonna make peanut butter bacon hot dogs now, thanks.

The pickle one is like trans girl catnip.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

gently caress I'd destroy that cauliflower meatloaf

That cauliflower looks dry as hell.

I like cauli but I like it juicy.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

Gonna make peanut butter bacon hot dogs now, thanks.

Food truck that shows up semi weekly does a "Hippie Dog." Foot long beef frank with peanut butter, crumbled bacon & Sriracha. poo poo's amazing but that's pretty much all the calories you need for the whole day.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I could live without the aspic, but I have always wanted to try a smoked tongue sandwich. Always.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Arivia posted:

The pickle one is like trans girl catnip.

Okay is no one else going to question this

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's a thing

quote:

The biochemistry’s pretty simple! Many of us take spironolactone, which is an anti-androgen and diuretic. Pickles, and pickle juice, are a way of taking in fluids and replacing lost salt that helps retain those fluids, keeping us hydrated. I’ve also drank chicken or beef bouillon straight in a pinch.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I was questioning but couldn't quite figure out wtf it was even getting at.

But that explains it. :v:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Spice up your love life with our salt and pepper buttplugs. Spunky shoulders for everyone!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Japan sushi trend, probably.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

noether posted:

the true food horror is 13 minute long abstract instrumental pieces

I appreciated this joke.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Lackey posted:

Yeah, this'll really impress the guests at my impromptu company soiree banquet. How continental.

I imagine it tasting like raw onion and crunchy sadness.

I haven't had such a visceral reaction to a picture in this thread for a while now. Jesus Christ that looks like raw livers on uncooked noodles.

cyberia posted:

I would gently caress these up so hard.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Otana posted:

I would gently caress these up so hard.

Give yourself a break, I'm sure the recipe isn't THAT complicated.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I think I'd like pickled avocado better than regular avocado tbh

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

cyberia posted:

That looks delicious. But I love pickled and fermented everything.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Samizdata posted:

I could live without the aspic, but I have always wanted to try a smoked tongue sandwich. Always.

I've had beef tongue made and sliced thin like corned beef and it was really good :v:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
A thin smear of peanut butter is incredible on a burger, and I encourage everyone to try it at least once. That said, I'd annihilate a hot dog with peanut butter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

angerbeet posted:

I think I'd like pickled avocado better than regular avocado tbh

Same

Might taste of something then

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Brawnfire posted:

gently caress I'd destroy that cauliflower meatloaf

I just don't see how you'd cook it properly. Cauliflower + meatloaf sounds amazing but cooked together in a single vessel like that... I dunno man.

NLJP posted:

One of the saddest things you've reported over the years I've read your posts is that normal korean food is kinda bad because man the 'real' idealised stuff generally rocks.

I guess it's like the general normal 'english' food and it's actual potential when done really well but the other way round. :smith:

Korean food in theory rocks so much and I love eating and cooking it.
edit: and yes I realise you've said before that the over sweetened kinda tasteless stuff is relatively new.

The problem is Korea isn't that far out from being poor and famine-y so most of the cooking is super lazy. Dump a bunch of poo poo in a pot of water and boil it to death. That was starting to change when I left though, there were hipsters and young chefs trying to break out of it. There were a couple chains opening like this one, trying to do traditional Korean food but with new concepts like care and effort, if anyone in the thread's ever in Seoul I highly recommend it: http://www.ilhochic.com/#home

Knock hipsters and celebrity chefs all you want but they're a huge reason why food in the US is so much better than it was a couple decades ago, I think Korea is going to go the same direction.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I just don't see how you'd cook it properly. Cauliflower + meatloaf sounds amazing but cooked together in a single vessel like that... I dunno man.

The cauli would steam inside the meatloaf. It probably wouldn't take on that much taste from the meat but it would cook ok I reckon.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Grand Fromage posted:

Knock hipsters and celebrity chefs all you want but they're a huge reason why food in the US is so much better than it was a couple decades ago, I think Korea is going to go the same direction.

The hipsters and celebrity chefs are not the moving force, they are a symptom of a civilization rising higher in the tech tree.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Gotta hate it when a Great Chef spawns when you're trying to get a tech victory and could really have used anything else instead.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Snoo posted:

I've had beef tongue made and sliced thin like corned beef and it was really good :v:

I keep hearing such stories, which is why I want to try it so badly. Can't even find the unprepared tongue in town to make it myself.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

A thin smear of peanut butter is incredible on a burger, and I encourage everyone to try it at least once. That said, I'd annihilate a hot dog with peanut butter.

Well, that clinches it. Next burger, I am going to put some spicy satay sauce on it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

cyberia posted:

I know goons love chili so how about some white chili. This recipe is a goddamned nightmare. Highlights include boiled chicken, one jalapeno (only if you can handle the heat), almost no seasoning and then at the end you add cheese to it :psyduck:

I definitely would. I don't really care if it's "technically" chili or not, but it sounds pretty good. Preferably with fresh chilis instead of the canned ones, but still.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

And one from the 'probably would' file:

no loving way would the monsters who used these cards be able to make anything resembling a risotto. Even the picture is just dry looking rice with cheese on it. At least with most of the other dishes there's a "food" thing that's presumably air quoted

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Sep 2, 2017

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

A little while back I posted about buying some tripe, here's what I ended up doing with it

Boiled it. Smelled godawful.

Tossed in some soup bones

Drained, cut it up. At this point it had the consistency of something between jelly and fat, and it wasn't holding together very well. I was worried I had boiled it for too long

Tripe, veggies, meat from the bones, and beef broth. Spices include salt, pepper, marjoram, ginger, nutmeg, garlic, parsley, ground mustard seed, and enough cayenne to give it a good kick

I forgot to buy any rye bread, or else I'd have dressed it up a little more.

Verdict: Good overall. Very pungent. The tripe added an interesting texture, it was solid enough that it held together but soft enough that I could sieve it through my teeth. The best way I can describe it is as snot-like. At one point I ate a piece of tripe that I didn't cut up well enough and gagged, spitting my mouthful of soup into the garbage can. It would have been much better with dark rye and straight vodka, so I'll have to get some before I finish the leftovers. Would make again.

e: also I should have added some potatoes

Ziv Zulander has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Sep 2, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ziv Zulander posted:

A little while back I posted about buying some tripe, here's what I ended up doing with it

Boiled it. Smelled godawful.

Tossed in some soup bones

Drained, cut it up. At this point it had the consistency of something between jelly and fat, and it wasn't holding together very well. I was worried I had boiled it for too long

Tripe, veggies, meat from the bones, and beef broth. Spices include salt, pepper, marjoram, ginger, nutmeg, garlic, parsley, ground mustard seed, and enough cayenne to give it a good kick

I forgot to buy any rye bread, or else I'd have dressed it up a little more.

Verdict: Good overall. Very pungent. The tripe added an interesting texture, it was solid enough that it held together but soft enough that I could sieve it through my teeth. The best way I can describe it is as snot-like. At one point I ate a piece of tripe that I didn't cut up well enough and gagged, spitting my mouthful of soup into the garbage can. It would have been much better with dark rye and straight vodka, so I'll have to get some before I finish the leftovers. Would make again.

e: also I should have added some potatoes

Would, even without the vodka, but the black bread would have been lovely.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god you've just reminded me that my mum used to buy this tripe dog food that was frozen and you had to cook, worst thing I've ever smelled in my life.
Well apart from opening a sweet tin containing a rotting kitten once.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

what

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I really don't like organ meats. I've tried most of them at least once and I just don't. Heart and tongue are pretty good, and I used to eat diaphragm at Korean BBQ (but that may have been a mistranslation).

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh god you've just reminded me that my mum used to buy this tripe dog food that was frozen and you had to cook, worst thing I've ever smelled in my life.

Wtf to both of these but for some reason I'm more confused about buying and cooking up frozen food for an animal that will eat it's own cold vomit

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shrug on the first one, I was very young and my parents have always been insane when it came to their dogs.

As to the other, when I was I school I had a friend who lived alone with his mum who was slightly crazy and kept cats, not like insane amounts just like three or four, but I guess she never had them spayed or whatever because every so often he'd tell me that one of them had had kittens or something.
Anyway I was there one day and ended up in a room I didn't usually go in for some reason (? I'm hazy on this bit) and found what looked like a tin of Cadbury's Roses stashed under a desk, having parents who also repurposed anything that could be used to store stuff I didn't find this unusual and decided to see what was in it. I took of the lid and was greeted with the foulest stench I've ever smelled and spied something covered with a cloth before I hastily put the lid back on. When I mentioned it to him he looked kind of shocked and admitted that a bit ago one of the cats had had kittens and one of them had died, he'd put it in that tin with the intention of burying it then somehow forgotten about it.
I spent the rest of the day feeling sick.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
:barf: good god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I really don't like organ meats. I've tried most of them at least once and I just don't. Heart and tongue are pretty good, and I used to eat diaphragm at Korean BBQ (but that may have been a mistranslation).

Cow diaphragm is also called skirt steak, or sometimes romanian steak, and can be delicious or tough, stringy, and awful depending on how it's cooked. Heart, tongue, and skirt steak are all made of muscle, so taste much more like meat than other organs.