Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm always down to hear about the garbage fire status of foreign militaries. It makes me feel mildly better about some of my decisions.

Honestly I would be interested in hearing about well run, well supplied militaries that have excellent procurement processes and results at this point.

Back Hack posted:

Talk about getting high on your own farts, it's not only going to be able to fly in space but it also going to have laser cannons.

MiG = Mikoyan-Grover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Honestly I would be interested in hearing about well run, well supplied militaries that have excellent procurement processes and results at this point.
Do those exist?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Collateral Damage posted:

Do those exist?

I seriously doubt it so it would be sci-fi

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I will reach space, but only if Putin is piloting.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Mig31 replacement is actually an x-15 like. Goes to space but only has a minute of fuel.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Back Hack posted:

They don't really have that problem because of the pusher prop that prevent it.
Unless they've got wings the pusher prop aint preventing poo poo

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It's a tacit admission that they will be flying the MiG 31 for another 30 years.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure we're all kinds of far from an objective assessment of these prototypes' safety.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Unless they've got wings the pusher prop aint preventing poo poo

Have you see how massive the tail stabilizers are?

E: VVVV Well I got schooled by the man with a great AV and post combo.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 1, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The pusher prop doesn't prevent retreating blade stall, the tandem setup does, or rather eliminates the big danger. That being that it's asymmetric, and if you manage to keep accelerating, your aircraft eventually rolls to the retreating side. With contra-rotors it's evened out, so the only issue in a conventional tandem is keeping the nose down, since the stall mode also induces a pitch-up moment.

With a pusher prop, though, you can keep accelerating until you just don't have the power to go faster, like a conventional plane. It doesn't prevent the stall roll, but the tandem rotor does, and the pusher prop is suddenly useful.

E: See also: compound helicopters, which transition to fixed wings at high speed rather than using a tandem rotor.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The next Ace Combat is looking good.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Enourmo posted:

The pusher prop doesn't prevent retreating blade stall, the tandem setup does, or rather eliminates the big danger. That being that it's asymmetric, and if you manage to keep accelerating, your aircraft eventually rolls to the retreating side. With contra-rotors it's evened out, so the only issue in a conventional tandem is keeping the nose down, since the stall mode also induces a pitch-up moment.

With a pusher prop, though, you can keep accelerating until you just don't have the power to go faster, like a conventional plane. It doesn't prevent the stall roll, but the tandem rotor does, and the pusher prop is suddenly useful.

E: See also: compound helicopters, which transition to fixed wings at high speed rather than using a tandem rotor.

I understand the rotors won't be unbalanced, but won't their lift still drop by around half as forward velocity approaches the velocity of the rotor tips?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Alaan posted:

Mig31 replacement is actually an x-15 like. Goes to space but only has a minute of fuel.

Intercontinental ballistic fighter-bomber

Hauldren Collider posted:

I understand the rotors won't be unbalanced, but won't their lift still drop by around half as forward velocity approaches the velocity of the rotor tips?

The trailing edge on each rotor will lose lift, but because their counter rotating that trailing edge occurs on opposite sides.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, the advancing blade gains lift due to its speed, so they cancel out. Then the limiting factor becomes sonic effects; eventually, forward velocity plus tip speed means the tips start approaching mach 1.

Keep in mind: as complex as these coaxial/tiltrotor designs are, they're VTOL craft with a decent speed advantage over a conventional helicopter, and your only real alternative is jump jets, which I think we all know the issues with those.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
You still have the problem where you can't let the advancing blade go supersonic or high transonic.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Paging tetra to do another helicopter effort post, tia

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Mortabis posted:

You still have the problem where you can't let the advancing blade go supersonic or high transonic.

It worked for the Thunderscreech!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Is that true? They look pretty complicated to me, with the tandem rotor. Plus there's the issue of retreating blade stall as they go fast.

That's not a tandem rotor, those are coaxial rotors. Tandem is like on the CH-47. Coax rotors like that significantly reduce retreating blade stall, because the two rotors rotate in opposite directions. So when the retreating blade from one rotor starts to stall the other rotor's blade is advancing on the same side, so you avoid the dissymmetry of lift.

This is by no means the first coax rotor helicopter. Kamov has been building them for decades.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

M_Gargantua posted:

Intercontinental ballistic fighter-bomber

The trailing edge on each rotor will lose lift, but because their counter rotating that trailing edge occurs on opposite sides.

See: antipodal bomber

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

priznat posted:

I've heard and read good things about Australia but my practical experience with them has largely been limited to them handing out business cards at Flag :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When are we going to get semi ballistic military transports?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mortabis posted:

One of these coax-rotor pusher-prop proposals had a magical gearbox that would keep the blade tips at the same (optimal designed) speed as forward speed increased.

edit: Sikorsky X2.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Despite being loony as hell and not made, the antipodal bomber had a definate real world impact, unlike some other paper wunder-waffen. Isn't the basic design for the engine the same one that was used on the space shuttle?

Also, Stalin really liked the idea and kept trying to kidnap the designer in the late 1940s. It's kind of a bad thing Stalin didn't succeed; can you imagine the cold war being fought with hypersonic spaceplanes?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Guest2553 posted:

I've heard and read good things about Australia but my practical experience with them has largely been limited to them handing out business cards at Flag :v:

They keep buying SHornets and the F-35 when, based on their needs, they should have bought new build F-15s with CFTs and invested in LO standoff anti-shipping weapons, which a lot of countries are going to want but few are making.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arglebargle III posted:

When are we going to get semi ballistic military transports?

We already have fully ballistic transports, but the selection of cargo being delivered is limited.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

This is by no means the first coax rotor helicopter. Kamov has been building them for decades.
I learned about coaxial rotor helicoptors thanks to the Ka-50 being one of the more prolific enemies in the Comanche game when I was 13-14. :)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nebakenezzer posted:

Despite being loony as hell and not made, the antipodal bomber had a definate real world impact, unlike some other paper wunder-waffen. Isn't the basic design for the engine the same one that was used on the space shuttle?

Also, Stalin really liked the idea and kept trying to kidnap the designer in the late 1940s. It's kind of a bad thing Stalin didn't succeed; can you imagine the cold war being fought with hypersonic spaceplanes?

Personally, I believe sending orbital missiles over what was then enemy territory to be a bad thing. But maybe I'm wrong.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

What?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nebakenezzer posted:

No, not really no.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just use a definition of space lower than even the USAF and they're good to go!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Russia doesn't ever have to actually build any of this poo poo. They just have to *plan* to build it, and get someone to make artist's renditions and Youtube animations for the Rodinaboos to jerk off to.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

Just use a definition of space lower than even the USAF and they're good to go!

Inner space.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

They keep buying SHornets and the F-35 when, based on their needs, they should have bought new build F-15s with CFTs and invested in LO standoff anti-shipping weapons, which a lot of countries are going to want but few are making.

Agree on the weapons but not F15s.

Rafales because:

a. gently caress that's a sexy plane
b. At the time France needed export contracts badly and we could have gotten a sweet deal.
c. Should have refused the 35 as tacit "gently caress you" to the USA for not selling us the F-22.
d. Did I mention the boner inducing qualities of the Rafale yet?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Rafale just looks like a tumor-ridden Mirage to me. Pretty ugly, to be honest.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Someone explain the new thread title please

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Smiling Jack posted:

Some audio clip of a Navy captain going off on his crew because one of them kept, well (see title)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Smiling Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TlOD2anqOU

I don’t want to go looking for the original post, but this was the link.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TlOD2anqOU

I don’t want to go looking for the original post, but this was the link.

I could listen to that all day.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Carth Dookie posted:

Rafales because:

b. At the time France needed export contracts badly and we could have gotten a sweet deal.
c. Should have refused the 35 as tacit "gently caress you" to the USA for not selling us the F-22.

The RAAF never needed or really wanted the F-22. It would've been a hilarious waste of your limited budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

Rafales because:

The Rafale is a shrunken looking plane because the French had to compact it down to work on their ghetto ski jump carrier. Is Australia going to buy a ghetto ski jump carrier? No? Then there is no reason to pay for the compromises of a funny looking little French plane and stretch your supply chain 14,000km to an "ally" not exactly known for their expeditionary logistics capabilities.

And make no mistake, it's all about the money. That's why the F-22 was never in the offing, and the grognard behind AusAirPower will die disappointed. The Australian DoD is defined on one side by budget constraints, and that means figuring out what their core missions are, and focusing their money there. Looking at a map tells anyone that Aus' position in the world is defined by the small seas to your north, and the absolutely fuckoff massive oceans to your east and west. In order to secure the continent, your foremost military concern and mission is Sea Control. If you're doing sea control of such a massive area, the prime performance dimension you're going to care about is "which capable aircraft has the longest legs with an anti-shipping loadout?" That's almost certainly going to mean external carriage of large weapons; he only other western contender is the F-35/NSM combination, which should actually have decent range since the NSM can be carried internally, but the Aus DoD was not content/could not afford to wait for that capability to mature. A new build Eagle with CFT and a LPI AESA radar is an 80% solution, plus buying more tankers. The missing element is standoff range ASuW and anti-land weapons, and would be a good avenue for Aussie R&D since it's a capability you're going to want on your aircraft, surface combatants, and subs. Plus, judging by the sales deals the Norwegians are inking on the NSM, you might very well have made your money back. The fact that the F-15 isn't a world-killing dogfighter anymore is not really huge downside if your gameplan is to deny anyone hostile the chance to sail a carrier or set up an airbase within 1000nm of Darwin. It gives you a platform with known operating costs and mature systems to go play in whatever mudhole the U.S. sticks its dick in next decade, and works in a High/Low mix with the F-35.

Or you could buy the aircraft equivalent of the FAMAS, I guess.