Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Arcsquad12 posted:

I never understood why the EU always treated Tie pilots as crappy quality men in one hit kill boxes. In the films, even in Rogue One and TFA, tie jockeys are psychotic killing machines that easily break even against X-Wings.
Probably basing it off the games? Same reason why Y-wings are treated in Legends as lumbering deathtraps only to be used when you don't have a real fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

I seriously don't know how Bioware ever got a reputation for good writing.

Like someone else said, their early games. Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, my personal favorite Jade Empire. I heard the first Dragon Age was stellar but I honestly never played more than an hour of it.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Skoll posted:

Like someone else said, their early games. Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, my personal favorite Jade Empire. I heard the first Dragon Age was stellar but I honestly never played more than an hour of it.

Jade Empire was seriously under appreciated, imo. That game was fun to play and it was neat to have an eastern theme for once.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Snoke has a 60KM wide Mega Star Destroyer that looks like a B2 Bomber. That's a thing.

Guess it might have been a bit premature to consider the First Order a terrorist fringe group if they're packing this much firepower. And I know I'm saying that after watching a film where they literally turn a planet into a space gun that can shoot through hyperspace.

As Plinkett might say, it's all bigger and better-er.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
It's not a fringe group. After doing some thinking about Old Republic and what the origins of the sith are it seems we will get the same story for the rest of forever. The Republic (Known space) vs The Empire (wild space) the names will change and sometimes the sith will control both areas but it's become the same thing everytime. Known space wins, invaders retreat for 1-1000000 years, rebuild, return and attack, rinse, repeat.

It's all fine cause there's lots of stories to tell in that big story but the first order being an "evil militant organization hiding and growing beyond the fringe", well yea, that's what sith do. And frankly by now I'm surprised the Republic worlds haven't figured out the pattern after 50000 odd years of the same cycle endlessly repeating.

But more to the point, they've done a good job as describing these fringe areas as massive, since we never saw them beyond Starkiller base, there is no telling how many worlds out there they had managed to control in the time they'd been around. We know about when kid Hux and a few others got sent out there to rebuild the empire but it is unknown how long Snoke or whoever else was also out there setting things up for the next inevitable attack on the Republic worlds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just wish they would do something different. I would loving love to see the First Order as this scrappy, do or die band of psychotic Imperial remnants rather than an overwhelming military force. Have the Starkiller be their big one shot "even the odds" gambit, and then have them capitalize on wiping out the Republic Fleet in the immediate aftermath when Starkiller goes belly up. None of this gigantism nonsense with a Toronto sized battleship.

I mean, Spaceballs made the jokes about the Supremacy back in 1987 with Spaceball One.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 2, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The Maga-SSD is significantly more restrained than a planetary laser or a Death Star, so it's not like that's that much of a big deal.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Skoll posted:

Nah even by the time they were doing KOTOR and NWN their poo poo was obviously copy/paste madlibs.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
This new ship has a 60 km wingspan. The Death Star apparently was 160 km in width? So the ship is what, like 1/14th of the size, bearing in mind the DS is a sphere and the ship is much thinner.

This is supposed to be Snoke's capital ship they were keeping in reserve until they weakened the Republic. With Hosnian Prime and the Senate wiped out, they decide to finally bring it out.

It's also not exactly clear how old the ship is, is it? Snoke might be the rumored threat in the Unknown Regions that's been mentioned several times in the books set during the Empire. So it's possible it's been around awhile.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a new trailer out? :confused:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Skoll posted:

:respek: Jade Empire 2 when?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is there a new trailer out? :confused:

No, but I got faked out by a huge spate of google news alerts too

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get news alerts or anything, I just assumed there must have been something where this new spaceship appeared. I've seen the model now, though.

There was a bit in Darksaber where Pellaeon mentions that building the Executor almost bankrupted the Empire, which makes one wonder what sort of loans Palpatine had to take out to build the second Death Star. :v:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't get news alerts or anything, I just assumed there must have been something where this new spaceship appeared.
Yesterday was the second Force Friday, a marketing blitz where they release all kinds of new products, especially things related to The Last Jedi.

Including an evil black version of BB-8 called BB-9E :rolleyes:

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 2, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just wish they would do something different. I would loving love to see the First Order as this scrappy, do or die band of psychotic Imperial remnants rather than an overwhelming military force. Have the Starkiller be their big one shot "even the odds" gambit, and then have them capitalize on wiping out the Republic Fleet in the immediate aftermath when Starkiller goes belly up. None of this gigantism nonsense with a Toronto sized battleship.

I mean, Spaceballs made the jokes about the Supremacy back in 1987 with Spaceball One.

This would more accurately reflect the fact that the First Order are leftists fighting against the conservative Resistance.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yesterday was the second Force Friday, a marketing blitz where they release all kinds of new products, especially things related to The Last Jedi.

Including an evil black version of BB-8 called BB-9E :rolleyes:

That's a really bad photoshop.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't get news alerts or anything, I just assumed there must have been something where this new spaceship appeared. I've seen the model now, though.

There was a bit in Darksaber where Pellaeon mentions that building the Executor almost bankrupted the Empire, which makes one wonder what sort of loans Palpatine had to take out to build the second Death Star. :v:

this is why he put up with xizor's transparently ridiculous pretensions of being on vader's level

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Man asking that guy to be your sugar daddy must be the worst experince ever.

Pretty sure Sheev popped open a bottle of champagne when he heard Vader iced him.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

dublish posted:

That's a really bad photoshop.
So it was! Here's the real deal:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Related

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I picked up the new Claudia Gray Princess Leia novel, and read it through in one sitting.

It was pretty good! It's obviously a YA book, but it was interesting enough, had some fun characters, and I think it managed to have a decent sense of paranoia around the danger of the early rebellion, as well as a quiet feeling of doom, knowing what's eventually going to happen to Alderaan.

It's not great literature, but if that's what we were after, then we wouldn't be in this thread. Going to grab Phasma next, though my hopes aren't as high since it's not Claudia Gray.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm about halfway through Phasma. It's pretty interesting not just for the story of where she came from...but also more backstory on the First Order, and Brendol and Armitage Hux.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Yeah Claudia Gray is my new favorite author from the EU. Lost Stars, Bloodline and the Leia book were all great. It's funny, I went from not giving a poo poo about Star Wars books after the NJO to eagerly looking forward to the latest books, even if some are hit or miss. I'll take a Catalyst or Inferno Squad over the Dark Nest Trilogy any day.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Started Phasma, and I'm pleased to say that, so far, it hasn't disproved my "Captain Phasma is an Adult Cindel Towani" theory yet.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cptn_dr posted:

Started Phasma, and I'm pleased to say that, so far, it hasn't disproved my "Captain Phasma is an Adult Cindel Towani" theory yet.

That theory is actually kind of frightening. Tell us more.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

So, think about it. Cindel Towani and her family would have crashed on Endor some time shortly pre-RotJ, as evidenced by the fact that Wicket W. Warrick was there (Ewoks probably don't have very long life spans), but had never seen a human before.
She escapes Endor, and then, as her whole family is dead, presumably finds her way to some godforsaken hellhole where she is picked up by Brendol Hux and inducted into his training program. Once enlisted, she uses the skills she learned as a guerilla soldier among the Ewoks to rise to the top of the First Order's stormtrooper legion- after all, who are best known for defeating Stormtroopers? Exactly.

I think you'll find it all checks out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe she escaped Endor along with the fleeing Imperial soldiers trapped on the planet when DS2 exploded.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

In a world where Rex was on Endor, I feel there's room for Cindel "Phasma" Towani.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Slave labor probably helps drive down costs quite a bit.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cptn_dr posted:

So, think about it. Cindel Towani and her family would have crashed on Endor some time shortly pre-RotJ, as evidenced by the fact that Wicket W. Warrick was there (Ewoks probably don't have very long life spans), but had never seen a human before.
She escapes Endor, and then, as her whole family is dead, presumably finds her way to some godforsaken hellhole where she is picked up by Brendol Hux and inducted into his training program. Once enlisted, she uses the skills she learned as a guerilla soldier among the Ewoks to rise to the top of the First Order's stormtrooper legion- after all, who are best known for defeating Stormtroopers? Exactly.

I think you'll find it all checks out.

I kind of hope they do this but my heart of hearts knows Disney probably doesn't even acknowledge that movie.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
My theory is that The Thing is a prequel to the Ewok movies. It explains how the Ewoks could defeat the stormtroopers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never actually watched those Ewok movies. Were they a big deal when they came out or were they too close to ROTJ to have the same impact as, say, a new Star Wars film in 1991 may have had. More to the point, are they actually any good?

Supposing Lucas had gone ahead with sequels instead of prequels, when would've been the most likely time for him to have made them? Early 90s? Or at the same time as he did the prequels? I know he explained to Mark Hamill that he hoped Hamill would be back for sequels.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I've been catching up on some of the new canon books etc. and I appreciate Disney ditching the idea that the Empire was just a bunch of old white British guys. Looking back, it is kind of uncool that a lot of the EU ran with the sexist old white guys angle instead of treating what we see of the Empire in the movies as a relic of the environment they were produced in. I can understand some of the older material, but that trope persisted for a loooong time.

The Empire: Still bad, but not that kind of bad.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never actually watched those Ewok movies. Were they a big deal when they came out or were they too close to ROTJ to have the same impact as, say, a new Star Wars film in 1991 may have had. More to the point, are they actually any good?

they were too bad to have any impact

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I finished reading Phasma on the way to work this morning, and all up I'm actually really pleasantly surprised. It was probably the most unusual new-EU book I've read so far. It was almost Mad Max-y/ post apocalyptic, as well as having some interesting stuff about the First Order.

I'd maybe put it in the top 5 of the EU novels so far. Parts of it had the same third person present tense as Aftermath, but I think it worked a lot better here (and I say that as someone who was okay with Aftermath on the whole).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I liked Rogue One, but I seriously can't get over how loving dumb it is Vader's pad is on the same dumb planet he lost all his remaining limbs and old life on, including (to him) his wife.

No it wasn't worth it for the in high ground in joke or old school Star Wars drafts refences. I can't let go how dumb that is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I liked Rogue One, but I seriously can't get over how loving dumb it is Vader's pad is on the same dumb planet he lost all his remaining limbs and old life on, including (to him) his wife.

No it wasn't worth it for the in high ground in joke or old school Star Wars drafts refences. I can't let go how dumb that is.

Eh, I can see it from a Sith perspective. This is the ultimate place of pain and loss for Vader, and thus his place of power.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Eh, I can see it from a Sith perspective. This is the ultimate place of pain and loss for Vader, and thus his place of power.

That's pretty much exactly why they did it iirc.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Maybe I am just conflicted because I hate Mustofar and really liked Vader's old school pad in the Jedi Knight Academy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It was hard to go light side in JKA because your fellow student was such a chode. Bast Castle kicked rear end but the boss fight blueballed you super hard since you had to wait to chop that annoying little puke to bits.