Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also, the new DuckTales cartoon has mention of Cape Suzette, St Canard and Spoonerville in the first episode, and the creators have mentioned everything from the Disney Afternoon is fair game except for Rescue Rangers (due to a movie in the works which may or may not ever see the light of day) and Mickey himself.

:wow: I didn't know this was out yet! THANKS INESCAPABLE DUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

food court bailiff posted:

And I'm pretty sure the Ancient One took a special interest in him because she was looking through time pretty often and saw how much potential he had.

Again, this is explicitly told to us in the movie. She simply has a hunch, a feeling that he could do great things, not concrete knowledge.

The entire movie is built on the idea that faith and compassion are the true path to enlightenment; book knowledge alone cannot make someone great. The Ancient One is not an all-knowing and unknowable mystical entity, simply a person trying their best and operating on her best judgement (and having sincere doubts when it looks like she might be wrong).

Strange's entire arc is about embracing this kind of worldview so he can make better use of his new superpowers than he did his original ones.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Someone mentioned Shallow Hal in the TV Episodes thread (for some reason) and while it might be silly to complain about a B/C grade comedy starring Jack Black, I feel I must.

Hal gets hypnotized (by Tony Robbins playing himself?) to only see inner beauty. First off, how in the gently caress would that work? If you've never met someone before, how in the world would you ever know what their "inner beauty" is like? It appears that the way Hal sees people he already knows doesn't change, and only new people he meets he sees as different from what they actually look like...but logically, it should be the other way around. The more he knows someone, the more his subconscious mind can see their inner beauty, so his friends, family, coworkers, etc... should all look like strangers to him. It would sort of make more sense to have him be, like, cursed by a gypsy because then you just take the premise that "gypsy curses are real" and run with it, as opposed to trying to "ground" the movie by using hypnotism.

Secondly, the movie also seems to imply/state outright that every conventionally attractive person is actually a horrible, ugly-on-the-inside human monster, and every "ugly" person is actually a saint and has no flaws at all.

I don't know about you, but I have met a LOT of people who are ugly on the outside AND inside, and likewise plenty of good people who are also attractive.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jack Black wrote the script to Shallow Hal under a pen name.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DrBouvenstein posted:

Someone mentioned Shallow Hal in the TV Episodes thread (for some reason) and while it might be silly to complain about a B/C grade comedy starring Jack Black, I feel I must.

Hal gets hypnotized (by Tony Robbins playing himself?) to only see inner beauty. First off, how in the gently caress would that work? If you've never met someone before, how in the world would you ever know what their "inner beauty" is like? It appears that the way Hal sees people he already knows doesn't change, and only new people he meets he sees as different from what they actually look like...but logically, it should be the other way around. The more he knows someone, the more his subconscious mind can see their inner beauty, so his friends, family, coworkers, etc... should all look like strangers to him. It would sort of make more sense to have him be, like, cursed by a gypsy because then you just take the premise that "gypsy curses are real" and run with it, as opposed to trying to "ground" the movie by using hypnotism.

Secondly, the movie also seems to imply/state outright that every conventionally attractive person is actually a horrible, ugly-on-the-inside human monster, and every "ugly" person is actually a saint and has no flaws at all.

I don't know about you, but I have met a LOT of people who are ugly on the outside AND inside, and likewise plenty of good people who are also attractive.

His hot neighbor remained hot after he became hypnotized, meaning her inner beauty matches the way she really looks.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I was watching Beetlejuice for the umpteenth time, and realized that it does a real poo poo job of building him up. During the scene where Alec Baldwin and Gina Davis ask their case worker about him, the lighting and music gets all dark and ominous as she warns them about how awful he is and why they shouldn't ask him for help.

"He was my assistant, but he was a troublemaker. Went out on his own as a freelance bio-exorcist. Claimed he could get rid of the living. Got into more trouble. "

Sounds like a real bad mother fucker. My IIMM is just how disproportionate the lighting and music are to what's being said.

About two minutes in:

https://youtu.be/jSUIVO-tjNQ

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I don't get why you pay all that money for a guy who has a voice like a Benedict Cumberbatch and then have him use some dumbshit American accent. Dude sounds like an ocelot purring in a vat of honey but in the movie he talks like a insurance salesman from Toledo.

His voice reminded me a lot of Hugh Laurie's "House" American accent to the point I wondered if that was intentional or if that's just a generic Americanized voice accent certain UK actors pick up.

I'm about to go off on a bit of an irrational derail, though, with Doctor Strange:

One thing I wished the Doctor Strange movie had done, given that it DOES touch on a lot of the passage of time, is used moments from the MCU as background points to help give a better sense of the when and where in his life Strange is at various points in relation to the rest of the MCU. One of the few hints is the soldier injured by an experimental armor which I think some have speculated might have been around the time of post-Iron Man 1 through some time to Iron Man 2 when his accident occurred,

You wouldn't need a lot, though. Some TVs running footage in a background, a few newspaper headlines or magazine covers on a table, something like that. Might help to explain or give a better idea of how many weeks/months/years he's actually gone in his studies.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JediTalentAgent posted:

One thing I wished the Doctor Strange movie had done, given that it DOES touch on a lot of the passage of time, is used moments from the MCU as background points to help give a better sense of the when and where in his life Strange is at various points in relation to the rest of the MCU. One of the few hints is the soldier injured by an experimental armor which I think some have speculated might have been around the time of post-Iron Man 1 through some time to Iron Man 2 when his accident occurred,

This is 100% a reference to

Captain America: Civil War, where Colonel Rhodes is accidentally blasted by Vision's forehead beam powers and falls out of the sky, breaking his back. He then is shown trying to rehab it at the end of the film.

No speculation needed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Memento posted:

This is 100% a reference to

Captain America: Civil War, where Colonel Rhodes is accidentally blasted by Vision's forehead beam powers and falls out of the sky, breaking his back. He then is shown trying to rehab it at the end of the film.

No speculation needed.

I thought it was the guy from the Hammer Industries prototype test.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MariusLecter posted:

I haven't seen Dr Strange since the theater but didn't it take place long before the Avengers since it still has Stark Tower in it or were those mentioned at different times in the movie?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I was watching Beetlejuice for the umpteenth time, and realized that it does a real poo poo job of building him up. During the scene where Alec Baldwin and Gina Davis ask their case worker about him, the lighting and music gets all dark and ominous as she warns them about how awful he is and why they shouldn't ask him for help.

"He was my assistant, but he was a troublemaker. Went out on his own as a freelance bio-exorcist. Claimed he could get rid of the living. Got into more trouble. "

Sounds like a real bad mother fucker. My IIMM is just how disproportionate the lighting and music are to what's being said.

About two minutes in:

https://youtu.be/jSUIVO-tjNQ

I think that's from a convention that has long since dropped out of use, where in a horror movie the mad scientist or whoever would explain something spooky and would get the appropriately otherworldly lighting. What is funny is that Baldwin and Davis notice the change in lighting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Len posted:

I haven't seen Dr Strange since the theater but didn't it take place long before the Avengers since it still has Stark Tower in it or were those mentioned at different times in the movie?

Not sure at all.about the chronology but my head canon is that the Hammer Industries test pilot is the basketball guy in Doctor Strange.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MariusLecter posted:

Dr Strange movie script posted:

I've got a 35-year-old Air Force colonel.
Crushed his lower spine in some kind of experimental armor.

Very little room for interpretation there, it's definitely not the Hammer Industries prototype test.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The gently caress. Don Cheadle is like 50. No way that's him.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
But as a counterpoint, identifying it as an experimental armor with a random user seems a bit vague given how established War Machine and his tech should be considered by that time.

This, on the other hand, sort of looks like it could as easily fit with a lower back crushing in an experimental armor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz1M5i5Y4Qc&t=100s

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

JediTalentAgent posted:

But as a counterpoint, identifying it as an experimental armor with a random user seems a bit vague given how established War Machine and his tech should be considered by that time.

We only really follow the Avengers and their inner circle in the movies. It's not like they have comic books about War Machine in that universe, he's probably "US Army Iron Man" to the general public and that's it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My IIMM is that the director of Doctor Strange confirmed in interviews that it is referencing neither of those people and is just a random throwaway lime, which is dumb.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's not James Rhodes or a different armor pilot.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

rydiafan posted:

My IIMM is that the director of Doctor Strange confirmed in interviews that it is referencing neither of those people and is just a random throwaway lime, which is dumb.

I mean, I assumed it was a throwaway line, just to sort of reference "The MCU isn't just the things you see on the screen, there are people out there trying protoype armours, this one turned out to be a lemon" sort of showing that superpower stuff is getting more common so not every incident turns into a media citrus. But then again I thought civil was the drizzling shits and turned it off halfway through so I never saw the War Machine incident.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seems kinda dumb if that wasn't supposed to be a reference to Iron Man 2 or Civil War. Maybe that was the original intention but the timeline didn't suit it?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Can't check right now but I thought the sequence in Iron Man 2 showed off-brand armors from all around the globe so it would be pretty weird to have them show up in an American hospital.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rydiafan posted:

a random throwaway lime, which is dumb.

indeed, throwing away a perfectly good lime :argh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

Can't check right now but I thought the sequence in Iron Man 2 showed off-brand armors from all around the globe so it would be pretty weird to have them show up in an American hospital.

The Hammer suit being mentioned was by an American private military contractor, who got the bright idea to design it for a 360 degree waist pivot.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

SiKboy posted:

I mean, I assumed it was a throwaway line, just to sort of reference "The MCU isn't just the things you see on the screen, there are people out there trying protoype armours, this one turned out to be a lemon" sort of showing that superpower stuff is getting more common so not every incident turns into a media citrus. But then again I thought civil was the drizzling shits and turned it off halfway through so I never saw the War Machine incident.

I appreciate you.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Are goons really so bitter they can't let one typo go :rolleyes:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

Seems kinda dumb if that wasn't supposed to be a reference to Iron Man 2 or Civil War. Maybe that was the original intention but the timelime didn't suit it?

ftfy

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom loves dumb movies. Jack and Jill was great to her. She loves Game of Thrones post season 4 because she's seen it all so far and wants to see how it ends.

30 minutes into Alien Covenant and she is screaming WHY. WHY DO THEY NOT HAVE HELMETS? THE gently caress? NO HELMETS AND HE HAS NO GLOVES AND THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE IN THIS GODDAMN MOVIE.

DID THE loving WOMAN SLIP ON BLOOD?

The movie was actually enjoyable when she, who hates MST3k, started MSTing the gently caress out of it. "Oh boy we have a medical bay a mile inside the ship! Be sure to leak blood everywhere and touch everything! Oh yeah we just escaped a death zone, let's wander off and have shower sex!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom loves dumb movies. Jack and Jill was great to her. She loves Game of Thrones post season 4 because she's seen it all so far and wants to see how it ends.

30 minutes into Alien Covenant and she is screaming WHY. WHY DO THEY NOT HAVE HELMETS? THE gently caress? NO HELMETS AND HE HAS NO GLOVES AND THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE IN THIS GODDAMN MOVIE.

DID THE loving WOMAN SLIP ON BLOOD?

The movie was actually enjoyable when she, who hates MST3k, started MSTing the gently caress out of it. "Oh boy we have a medical bay a mile inside the ship! Be sure to leak blood everywhere and touch everything! Oh yeah we just escaped a death zone, let's wander off and have shower sex!"

I won't speak to most of her complaints, but it's well known that recent proximity of death can put you into Maximum gently caress mode.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

EmmyOk posted:

Don't be sour about it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jedit posted:

I won't speak to most of her complaints, but it's well known that recent proximity of death can put you into Maximum gently caress mode.

This is why I'm not allowed in the morgue any more.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

So Will Ferrell in wedding crashers was right?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I don't mind the pithy jokes, as long as the thread remains full of a zest for conversation.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

rydiafan posted:

I don't mind the pithy jokes, as long as the thread remains full of a zest for conversation.

How much more can be squeezed from this though?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They should have had Dr Strange removing the shrapnel and reactor from Tony's chest at the end of Iron Man 3

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not a movie but I've been watching Jessica Jones.

In one episode, she needs a drink and asks some lovely gas station liquor store for the "cheapest whiskey they've got". Next scene, she's slamming a bottle of Wild Turkey.

Yeah, no. That wasn't the cheapest poo poo they had by a long shot.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BiggerBoat posted:

Not a movie but I've been watching Jessica Jones.

In one episode, she needs a drink and asks some lovely gas station liquor store for the "cheapest whiskey they've got". Next scene, she's slamming a bottle of Wild Turkey.

Yeah, no. That wasn't the cheapest poo poo they had by a long shot.

Which is funny because I remember that series having some blatant product placement (Rockstar shows up a few times I think? Or was it Monster?) so you'd think Wild Turkey would be upset at being called "Cheap".

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Just so long as it doesn't calcify into the same old injokes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

Which is funny because I remember that series having some blatant product placement (Rockstar shows up a few times I think? Or was it Monster?) so you'd think Wild Turkey would be upset at being called "Cheap".

I think of JJ as being a Rebel Yell kinda woman

If it was a product-placement wouldn't it have been referred to as "inexpensive but surprisingly refreshing"?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

RagnarokAngel posted:

Wild Turkey is well beloved by other notable Marvel drunks, including the Punisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

syscall girl posted:

I think of JJ as being a Rebel Yell kinda woman

If it was a product-placement wouldn't it have been referred to as "inexpensive but surprisingly refreshing"?

Depends on the image you want to cultivate. I think Wild Turkey tries to be seen as a classier whiskey, which usually means it needs to be more expensive, but still accessible to the average consumer.