Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm taking a blind guess at where you're taking this series and predicting you're calling it The Hero Baru Cormorant.

Or you'll go the opposite direction, The Total Shithead Baru Cormorant.

To inscribe herself into history, Baru writes a semi-biographical tale of terrible things happening to people who deserved better.

The General Baru Cormorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Tourist Baru Cormorant

Ruining the lives of good(?) people(?) across the Mother of Storms.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ceebees posted:

To inscribe herself into history, Baru writes a semi-biographical tale of terrible things happening to people who deserved better.

The General Baru Cormorant.

I'm not seeing this one I'm afraid.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
It probably could have used more time to simmer, fair.

'Battuta' and 'Baru' start with the same syllable :v:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The hard drive that was holding a bunch of unfinished Prachett books was steam-rolled so they would never be published.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Captain Monkey posted:

Everyone knows he's going to tie this in with the new car release: The Subaru Cormorant.

Nice, I like the progressive direction Seth is taking here, very open and progressive about identifying as an automobile

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

Just finished The Colo(u)r of Magic and it was great fun. Definitely not the most groundbreaking book, though I'm not sure if that's because it never was, or if he kind of inspired a lot of tropes that have been reused in a lot of parody fantasy that's followed. Overall it feels like a fun and vivid world and Pratchett's got a good sense of humor, which is enough for me to pick up more Discworld books in the near future.

That was the first Discworld book I read. The lack of a real Ending bothered me enough that I put the series down for a while. Then I started reading whichever Discworlds the library had and found out that The Light Fantastic is a direct continuation.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Solitair posted:

That was the first Discworld book I read. The lack of a real Ending bothered me enough that I put the series down for a while. Then I started reading whichever Discworlds the library had and found out that The Light Fantastic is a direct continuation.

Yeah, I could see that, it really just kind of falls off a cliff at the end. Thankfully I knew that going in.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I have a possible corollary to Sturgeon's Law
If you ever get frustrated about not being able to read all the fantasy fiction out in the world, roughly 70% of them can be successfully replicated with custom game modes in Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis series.
It is way more interactive too. Savescumming allows you to read different chapters or books.
Mary-Sue protagonist power can be replicated by setting game difficulty to Moron.

For the scifi genre (and subgenre milfiction) replace Crusader King 2 with Stellaris + Galactic Civilization 2(for the ultra-detailed ship building) & maybe Hearts of Iron.
Baen Books is an outlier though. About 94% of the Baen Books catalog can be replicated.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Baen Books is an outlier though. About 94% of the Baen Books catalog can be replicated.

Serious Sam, stealth john ringo adaptation

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

Serious Sam, stealth john ringo adaptation
Yesss.

+
Custers Revenge

+
steam anime games

Make that Baen Books 97% replicated by computer games.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 31, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Philip k dick's spec ops: the line

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Bhodi posted:

Philip k dick's spec ops: the line

"Andrzej Sapkowski does not exist and The Witcher was created by a committee of communist party members for the purposes of disseminating propaganda."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

C.M. Kruger posted:

"Andrzej Sapkowski does not exist and The Witcher was created by a committee of communist party members for the purposes of disseminating propaganda."
This is a deep cut and also an amazing post.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

andrew smash posted:

Okay another peripheral question; this may also be due to audiobook listening in the car (not the best place in terms of attention I can pay to the book); what did Conner's cube actually do?

They don't mention a ton of what it can do (which makes it cooler and more mysterious) but they mention Conner training by making it leap, land on a point, and spin really fast, poo poo like that. Personally I imagine this big red cube bouncing around like a pinball and punching holes through walls and floors and then suddenly and gracefully coming to a stop.

One cool thing I liked in the Peripheral is how there's less social media and TV in the future (and basically none in the way future).

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Internet Wizard posted:

The hard drive that was holding a bunch of unfinished Prachett books was steam-rolled so they would never be published.

Good man even beyond the grave.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

It's a shame they couldn't do that with all of his books, instead of just the unpublished ones.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
In my opinion they should be burned.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A human heart posted:

It's a shame they couldn't do that with all of his books, instead of just the unpublished ones.

Check out the edgelord.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

Check out the edgelord.

Ah hell, this guy used the bad internet word!

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is a deep cut and also an amazing post.

Amazing.
And pretty close to what Dick claimed about Stanislaw Lem. Something something communist agent trying to recruit me something something reported to the FBI multiple times.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

In my opinion they should be burned.

*in Robert Muldoon voice* They should all be destroyed.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Amazing.
And pretty close to what Dick claimed about Stanislaw Lem. Something something communist agent trying to recruit me something something reported to the FBI multiple times.
[whispering] You got the joke, you caught it, it's in your hand right now

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, I could see that, it really just kind of falls off a cliff at the end. Thankfully I knew that going in.

I admit it, I laughed.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Tor's free eBook of the Month is on hiatus until 2018, but I just discovered they have a podcast where LeVar Burton reads short fiction once a week.

https://www.tor.com/2017/08/30/levar-burton-reads-short-fiction-to-you-in-new-podcast/

It has apparently been running 11 weeks now, and the latest story he reads is The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu.

I thought it might interest a few in here :)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hyperion on kindle is $2 today. I guess I'm reading that next!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nevvy Z posted:

Hyperion on kindle is $2 today. I guess I'm reading that next!

First book great, second book good, remaining two ymmv.

I like em, personally, but I have a high enough tolerance for Simmons' descent into madness that I even like the Iliad duology too :v:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I read Baru Cormorant on my Kindle and liked it so much I immediately read it again and then bought a hardcover copy to give to my fiancee. Thanks, thread! And also Seth.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

overdesigned posted:

I read Baru Cormorant on my Kindle and liked it so much I immediately read it again and then bought a hardcover copy to give to my fiancee. Thanks, thread! And also Seth.

i recently got a copy to send to a friend as a wedding gift (as part of a Box o' Books)

antiimperialist gay fantasy accountant Hegemonizing Swarm

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007
An inexplicable crossover with Gor:

The Ubar Baru Cormorant.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The Foppish Dandy Baru Cormorant

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

andrew smash posted:

One thing that bothers me about SF/F audiobooks is vocabulary, I guess I need to read a word I'm not familiar with to make sense of it sometimes. I'm listening to The Peripheral right now and one word is driving me crazy. It's only in Wilf's POV and it refers to these automatons that are fairly ubiquitous. Flynne refers to the same things as girl robots. I keep hearing the narrator say "mitchykoid" and I cannot figure out what it's supposed to be. Can somebody post the word? I only have the audiobook and can't check the text.
This kills me too because I so often have no idea how to spell a character's name after listening to 30 plus hours of a novel or series in audio.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

First book great, second book good, remaining two ymmv.

I like em, personally, but I have a high enough tolerance for Simmons' descent into madness that I even like the Iliad duology too :v:

Lovecraft was one of my first authors and if one can get by reading that, most other things are easy.

While Iliad duology had some exceptionally bad parts, some parts were pretty good such as the fighting around Troja with nanotech Greek gods and the moravecs. Doesn't redeem it though.
Simmons have a better catalog than most, while having some real stinkers.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Revenger by Alastair Reynolds is a Kindle Daily Deal today at $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/kindledailydeal

At first I was a bit disappointed as it felt like a YA steampunk in space story, but pressing on, I ended up really enjoying it.
It's a really interesting universe Reynolds has created, and there are so many stories that could be told in it - not just as straight sequels to this one, but also in other time periods.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Ben Nerevarine posted:

The Foppish Dandy Baru Cormorant

Baru Cormorant 2: 2 Many Cormorants

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

well I started the Wheel of Time

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

blue squares posted: