Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
👏Donald 👏 Trump 👏 Has 👏 Always 👏 Been 👏Racist 👏

Actually, just have this http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/every-moment-donald-trumps-long-complicated-history-race/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

No poo poo, who here's debating it is basically what I already asked, discounting like any of the already transparent people you should be ignoring.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its like trying to convince my mother that her mother now screaming racial slurs about everything and everyone might make her still racist even though she's gone down the angry Alzheimer's path. Even before the disease kicked in she hated the Japanese after Pearl Harbor and when I bring that up, "oh well, that's just okay" because apparently a bad thing happened when she was a teenager so its okay if she thinks they need to bring back interment camps because we don't know if they're doing anything shifty at the new Honda factory down the way. "She taught black kids, she isn't racist". :stonk:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

No poo poo, who here's debating it is basically what I already asked, discounting like any of the already transparent people you should be ignoring.

I would show you their posts but I don't think Guyovich wants me to start 'helldumping' people after last night. (Which I don't blame him, his reports must have been a mess lol)

Why don't you check out the last couple pages or google for "Is Trump racist or just dumb?" Op-eds. People need to stop coming into this thread and asking everyone else to do their research for them anyway.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017

Crabtree posted:

Its like trying to convince my mother that her mother now screaming racial slurs about everything and everyone might make her still racist even though she's gone down the angry Alzheimer's path. Even before the disease kicked in she hated the Japanese after Pearl Harbor and when I bring that up, "oh well, that's just okay" because apparently a bad thing happened when she was a teenager so its okay if she thinks they need to bring back interment camps because we don't know if they're doing anything shifty at the new Honda factory down the way. "She taught black kids, she isn't racist". :stonk:

I've noticed that very strange thing about white people- they'll hold the children of other nations accountable for the crimes of previous generations in that nation. Except other white people. I think that's a very primal, tribal, factor in developing racist beliefs. Like step one is thinking you can judge a person based on how they look. Step two is you can hold people who come from the same place accountable for each other's crimes. Step three is eternal blood feuds over ancient history.

Every time something bad happens in Japan the white id says it's justice for Pearl Harbor. Every time a cop kills a black person, the white id sees justice for this one cop they heard about who was shot.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Minion of Freya posted:

I've noticed that very strange thing about white people- they'll hold the children of other nations accountable for the crimes of previous generations in that nation. Except other white people. I think that's a very primal, tribal, factor in developing racist beliefs. Like step one is thinking you can judge a person based on how they look. Step two is you can hold people who come from the same place accountable for each other's crimes. Step three is eternal blood feuds over ancient history.

Every time something bad happens in Japan the white id says it's justice for Pearl Harbor. Every time a cop kills a black person, the white id sees justice for this one cop they heard about who was shot.

I wonder if there's a corollary between this and belief in original sin?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The best thing about the Job Approval T-Rex, the very best thing, is the placement of the 50% line. Trump has never not been underwater. He started in the hole and dug down. That has literally never happened before in recorded polling history. Even Ford and Truman, despite not being elected and having dubious tenures, came into office at +60% approval. Trump's highest approval rating is lower than Nixon's at the start of the Watergate commission. Trump's best day in office is worse than "I am not a crook!"

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

RuanGacho posted:

No it's a corollary between that and white supremacy

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Fluffdaddy posted:

I'm just trying to further illuminate/explore the 1:1 between evangelicals and hate. The sooner we bond the secret white supremacists with the overt ones, the sooner we can deal with them as a culture.

America has a theological problem and its rather taboo to talk about still.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

It is basic tribalism.

When bad things happen to "us" it is always unjustified. When bad things happen to "others" it is always justified.

RuanGacho posted:

I'm just trying to further illuminate/explore the 1:1 between evangelicals and hate. The sooner we bond the secret white supremacists with the overt ones, the sooner we can deal with them as a culture.

America has a theological problem and its rather taboo to talk about still.

Original Sin is Catholic and is a very specific thing. Evangelic Protestantism rejects the concept.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/amjoyshow/status/903949357296340992

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Minion of Freya posted:

Except my mother hates trump and is supposedly a life long dem. But she was raised in the south by a single mom who always spoke bad of the Japanese and probably just shoved it into the corner of "well that's just mom", perpetually justifying and absolving her of guilt for a whole goddamn lifetime of open racism for one group of people in order to make sure feelings aren't hurt. The same evil she sees in creating a forever war against all of Islam over 9/11 she'll just say "that's not her, she isn't racist" when grandma's now throwing bile openly against everyone that isn't white as the disease that will likely end her life peels back the layers of deniability and social awareness that likely made her keep the other stuff buried after Civil Rights.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trabisnikof posted:

Who needs a list there is only one poster who is the worst!

:golfclap:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

^I adore this fish hook

"Win by any means" is already the GOP mantra.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The word you're looking for is correlation, not corollary.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Xae posted:

Original Sin is Catholic and is a very specific thing. Evangelic Protestantism rejects the concept.

Wait for real? Well poo poo. Today I learned.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Xae posted:

It is basic tribalism.

When bad things happen to "us" it is always unjustified. When bad things happen to "others" it is always justified.

Black folks don't do this though.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

The fact that the URL ends in "fake news media" suggests that it may not be serious. If it was written as a persuasive argument intentionally, I believe it may be concern trolling. A lot of people on the right seem to believe they have mystical powers of persuasion. I'm exaggerating, of course, but they certainly believe they can make arguments to trick their opponents into mistakes. Now, the internet is big enough where some people will fall for it because some people are gullible and believe what they read. But, the vast majority of people just end up seeing right through it. It's like when 4chan does their weekly attempt to pretend to be minority/liberal/antifa/etc. on the internet, especially on Twitter, to try to smear their opponents. Of course, almost no one falls for it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

pumpinglemma posted:

The word you're looking for is correlation, not corollary.

Right, thanks.

Lightning Knight posted:

poo poo I've outted myself as raised papist.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

It gets complicated.

Catholics lay claim to the definition of "Original Sin", because they invented it. Mainline Protestant churches largely reject Original Sin, but are pretty OK with the concept and theory behind it.

There is general agreement that Man is sinful by nature, but Protestant churches reject Original Sin as defined by the Catholic Church.

A ton of it boils down to Protestantism rejecting the specific Catholic doctrine, but accepting the underlying premise.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Minion of Freya posted:

It's just an excuse. You're thinking too deep into it. They want to be angry and feel righteous about it. So, they invent a reason. It's no more complicated than that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

RuanGacho posted:

poo poo I've outted myself as raised papist.

:same:

Xae posted:

It gets complicated.

Catholics lay claim to the definition of "Original Sin", because they invented it. Mainline Protestant churches largely reject Original Sin, but are pretty OK with the concept and theory behind it.

There is general agreement that Man is sinful by nature, but Protestant churches reject Original Sin as defined by the Catholic Church.

A ton of it boils down to Protestantism rejecting the specific Catholic doctrine, but accepting the underlying premise.

Ah. Interesting.

I was in high school before I realized Catholicism was a minority religion in America because I came from a heavily Catholic area. :v:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

n3wt posted:

It's bitter and needs roasting?
Apologies for the terrible word play.

you can also just rub it with some oil until it goes soft

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I just saw this, it made me think about everyone that was saying we should have "Europe-style" free-speech restrictions. I had expressed concern that they could easily be used against left-wing viewpoints as well.

https://theintercept.com/2017/08/29/in-europe-hate-speech-laws-are-often-used-to-suppress-and-punish-left-wing-viewpoints/

Very interesting read. Thank you for sharing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Xae posted:

It gets complicated.

That's largely a semantic distinction, though. The concept that humans are inherently flawed and incapable of fixing themselves is at the core of Christian theology of any stripe. No original sin = no need for Jesus.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Im going to take this moment to pivot and ask why more people arent concerned with Trumps religion because they sure as hell were convinced Obama was muslim (read: black/unamerican). While Trump needs no help destroying his relationship with the business community, some good and needed damage could be done to his approvals if we can get him to attack the religious, which I don't imagine should be hard with a narcissist. Maybe PJ has some insight into that or why it hasn't really happened yet.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, racism played a part, but not to the extent that party first republicans and gullible idiocy did. Hell he had the coal industry in his pocket because he was the only one telling them their jobs would be secure just to knife them in the back later
However those people were willing to look past the obvious racism going on for their own ends that makes them at least partially at fault.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xae posted:

also not to go all sociology of religion but you run into trouble saying 'Evangical Protestantism believes in ______' on almost any issue - apart from the big ones like every individual having a personal relationship with Jesus/God - as it's a huge and diverse body of different churches with often radically different viewpoints.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Irma update

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deteriorata posted:

That's largely a semantic distinction, though. The concept that humans are inherently flawed and incapable of fixing themselves is at the core of Christian theology of any stripe. No original sin = no need for Jesus.

The idea is known as total depravity - that not one among us is flawless and deserves or ever can deserve heaven. The disagreement about original sin is more down to was it specifically Adam and Eve's fault or is it just part of who we are.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah. Interesting.

I was in high school before I realized Catholicism was a minority religion in America because I came from a heavily Catholic area. :v:

I remember being taught, as a Lutheran, that while we believed in "something like Original Sin", it had a completely different basis and theological remedy than Catholics and that we shouldn't use the term to avoid confusion.

When our Confirmation (Catechism) class did a comparative study of Catholicism it largely boiled down to: Lutherans don't think you need to go through a Priest to have a relationship with God. We either used the same term and defined it differently, or used the same concept and called it a different name. Plus a poo poo load less legalism.

RuanGacho posted:

Im going to take this moment to pivot and ask why more people arent concerned with Trumps religion because they sure as hell were convinced Obama was muslim (read: black/unamerican). While Trump needs no help destroying his relationship with the business community, some good and needed damage could be done to his approvals if we can get him to attack the religious, which I don't imagine should be hard with a narcissist. Maybe PJ has some insight into that or why it hasn't really happened yet.

Because he is White.

Xae fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 2, 2017

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

RuanGacho posted:

He's white and he said he's a god haver. The masses are willing to take whatever a white man says at face value.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Sorus posted:

He's white and he said he's a god haver. The masses are willing to take whatever a white man says at face value.

It seems like this might be part of the theological problem I mentioned.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Xae posted:

I remember being taught, as a Lutheran, that while we believed in "something like Original Sin", it had a completely different basis and theological remedy than Catholics and that we shouldn't use the term to avoid confusion.

When our Confirmation (Catechism) class did a comparative study of Catholicism it largely boiled down to: Lutherans don't think you need to go through a Priest to have a relationship with God. We either used the same term and defined it differently, or used the same concept and called it a different name. Plus a poo poo load less legalism.

Because he is White.
Yeah I was raised Protestant as well. There's definitely a original sin concept however, all you have to do is become a Christian baptized and accept Jesus Christ etcetera Etc.

The main thing is that you don't need to regularly unload your sins to a priest to be absolved of them - Jesus just does that because you are a good Protestant who works hard.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah. Interesting.

Catholicism is the largest religion by numbers in the US. something like 70m+ identify as catholic.

Xae posted:

It gets complicated.

This is accurate only by the most pedantic of definitions.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

hanales posted:

Catholicism is the largest religion by numbers in the US. something like 70m+ identify as catholic.

Welcome to religions. They give a lot of fucks about the precise definition of terms.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sorus posted:

Well he's also a Republican, just like Jesus.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

RuanGacho posted:

There is without a doubt some fundamental belief thingy between humans that spans all regions and cultures that credit/blame/honor is either in the blood or in the character.

See for example the Islamic split on whether Muhammeds divinity was passed down through his bloodline or through his Imams.

It branches out into racial identity versus national identity. Family ties of blood or of relations (like step parents)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

hanales posted:

An accurate assessment of every religious schism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Timely article: Why most evangelicals don’t condemn Trump

Answer: racism

• Locked thread