Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I am the FBI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Was there speculation on what tulpa Mike was going to make with the ring Coop gave him?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
The cigarettes are a tulpa

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Baloogan posted:

i desperately want to buy some of that canned georgia coffee now

If you have any Asian, especially Japanese grocery stores it's probably one of the two or three most popular brands. It's made by CocaCola Japan so it's super super common. I wish they were doing some Twin Peaks anniversary cans or something.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Khagan posted:

Was there speculation on what tulpa Mike was going to make with the ring Coop gave him?

going by what happened to ray (and laura in FWWM) the ring sends people to the black lodge, so its to send badcoop back home.

mike is going to make a dougie coop tulpa (rather than the old dougie badcoop version) for janey-e and sonny jim, thats pretty obvious at this point.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
leaked scene from the finale:

https://twitter.com/skrongstyle/status/902062010657067008

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Walrus posted:

i thought she just carried two packs :shrug:

Haha, this is exactly what I thought, as someone who used to be a light smoker while dating a heavy smoker; it was not uncommon for him to stay a pack ahead. I mean, it might be a continuity error but I assumed the exact same thing as The Walrus when it happened so it didn't take me out of the scene, thankfully.

But yeah, looking at it, it is totally a continuity error of some sort, unless she pulled out a second pack of cigarettes to put on the table from some hidden compartment in her purse.

In fact, there is a second continuity error in that scene, which my pedantic eyes noticed. The text Bad Coop sent Diane was ":-) ALL." and the text Diane received hours later was the same, ":-) ALL." However, in the scene with Gordon/Albert/Tammy when Diane is freaking out before she gets shot and talking about how "he took me to an old gas station" she is holding her cell phone the whole time and we get a zooming closeup of the text again, but it reads ":-) ALL" - no period at the end.

I know it pedantic and silly to even notice that sometimes there is or isn't a period at the end of that text, but it's an important text so it suck out to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Third is Tammy not being in the shot when Albert begins to shoot even though a couple shots later we see she definitely should have been visible

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kaworu posted:

Haha, this is exactly what I thought, as someone who used to be a light smoker while dating a heavy smoker; it was not uncommon for him to stay a pack ahead. I mean, it might be a continuity error but I assumed the exact same thing as The Walrus when it happened so it didn't take me out of the scene, thankfully.

But yeah, looking at it, it is totally a continuity error of some sort, unless she pulled out a second pack of cigarettes to put on the table from some hidden compartment in her purse.

In fact, there is a second continuity error in that scene, which my pedantic eyes noticed. The text Bad Coop sent Diane was ":-) ALL." and the text Diane received hours later was the same, ":-) ALL." However, in the scene with Gordon/Albert/Tammy when Diane is freaking out before she gets shot and talking about how "he took me to an old gas station" she is holding her cell phone the whole time and we get a zooming closeup of the text again, but it reads ":-) ALL" - no period at the end.

I know it pedantic and silly to even notice that sometimes there is or isn't a period at the end of that text, but it's an important text so it suck out to me.

there`s also the time mismatches - she also sees the first text in the bar 40 minutes after the time where she receives the second. it`s a weird scene. soooo many questions.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Walrus posted:

there`s also the time mismatches - she also sees the first text in the bar 40 minutes after the time where she receives the second. it`s a weird scene. soooo many questions.

Also, one was in iMessage (the text was in a blue block" and the other was not (green block).

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

remember badcoop couldnt send it the first time, so maybe he sent it again without the period but then the first one also automatically resent when he go into a good 4g zone and badcoop.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

If you have any Asian, especially Japanese grocery stores it's probably one of the two or three most popular brands. It's made by CocaCola Japan so it's super super common. I wish they were doing some Twin Peaks anniversary cans or something.

I'm gonna be drinking some Green tea latte in memory of Dougie Cooper tomorrow. He can have my coffee, wherever he is.

Vikar Jerome posted:

remember badcoop couldnt send it the first time, so maybe he sent it again without the period but then the first one also automatically resent when he go into a good 4g zone and badcoop.

Maybe it's tea kettle Jeffries sending Diane separate messages.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Vikar Jerome posted:

I like the occams razor explanation but he sent the first at 16:30 she recieved her messages at 15:50 and 16:31

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I hope the show ends with the giant kettle on stage at the roadhouse performing Magic Dance.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'd be more interested in hearing "I'm a little teapot" performed with Jeffries' accent

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Panamaniac posted:

I hope the show ends with the giant kettle on stage at the roadhouse performing Magic Dance.

I hope it bounces around the stage like the Stonehenge in Spinal Tap.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I was rewatching eps from S1 and found two things:

1. I believe that Audrey describing her dance on the jukebox as "dreamy" as well as all of her scenes this season points towards her being the "Dreamer"

2. The sound of Audrey's pencil stabbing her dad's secretary's styrofoam coffee cup is almost identical to the sound coming from the gramophone at the beginning of S3

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Panamaniac posted:

*in a backwards Ed Gwynne voice* DOUGIE, it's your very merry UNbirthday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMQO6SzcMCE

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Third is Tammy not being in the shot when Albert begins to shoot even though a couple shots later we see she definitely should have been visible

God this bothers me, I thought this couldn't really be true even when I saw a GIF of it - I mean I was *sure* that Tammy didn't just freakin' vanish for a take. But it sure looks like she did.

I don't really... MIND if these are continuity errors, but in the past Lynch just was not the type to put such BLATANT continuity error stacked on top of continuity error in a single scene like that. Lynch is generally, er, pretty meticulous about what images do and do nor make the cut. Further to the point it just doesn't make sense why a 'continuity error' such as that would exist in the first place, really.

I mean, I know how continuity errors can happen. I can see the missing period being a continuity error 'cause it's a drat punctuation mark in a text message, even if it's a pretty creepy text and it sets big events into motion plus one of the best musical cues of the season. I can see how you could forget a period in one of the several different kinds of shots they took of it, though.

But I have difficulty accepting Tammi just... NOT BEING THERE. That sort of thing, uh, doesn't usually happen because when you're making a film you simply don't start rolling without all the actors there who are in that scene. Maybe there's an exception here or there but certainly not when they're shooting freaking coverage that features her face in a normal shot.

Although, you know, she COULD still be in that shot, looking at it a couple more times. It is sort of a close-up on Albert and her chair has moved several feet to the left so she's more or less off-camera. It's not as if there is a shot of an empty chair, per se. It definitely doesn't match up with the preceding shot or the following shot, though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It'd be pretty vulgar if they first make everybody think David Bowie was too sick to do his scenes by showing a dumb teapot and dubbed voice, and then do a "syke!!! he wasn't quite dead yet!" for the final episode. I mean I'd like to see them do it anyway, but I don't think they could get away with that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I assume Tammy's not in the shot because she wouldn't be properly framed up and it wouldn't look all that good. From where she is sitting you'd only see like half of her body, mostly her arm and the side of her head, and it'd take away from the focus of the shot (Albert's sick magdump).

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

which country is leaking the finale this week?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

They should have had Donna also show up as a teapot for some reason.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
There were even more continuity errors in that Diane scene, not worth screenshotting though. Just stuff like one second her hands are by her face and she's slouched, then after a cut 2 seconds later, she's sitting straight up with her hands at her side.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Since we are talking about this, during the Dougie street shootout scene, when angry neighbour is machinegunning the van, he shoots the whole back of the van and the back door is like a Swiss cheese, all shot, and then it cuts to the inside of the van, showing Chantal and Hutch getting shot, and then it cuts again to the outside, and we are show the back of the van getting another burst of fire, but the door is unshot again

You can see it here, 2:01 to 2:15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnnoBTdlSLI

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

kaworu posted:

God this bothers me, I thought this couldn't really be true even when I saw a GIF of it - I mean I was *sure* that Tammy didn't just freakin' vanish for a take. But it sure looks like she did.

I don't really... MIND if these are continuity errors, but in the past Lynch just was not the type to put such BLATANT continuity error stacked on top of continuity error in a single scene like that. Lynch is generally, er, pretty meticulous about what images do and do nor make the cut. Further to the point it just doesn't make sense why a 'continuity error' such as that would exist in the first place, really.

I mean, I know how continuity errors can happen. I can see the missing period being a continuity error 'cause it's a drat punctuation mark in a text message, even if it's a pretty creepy text and it sets big events into motion plus one of the best musical cues of the season. I can see how you could forget a period in one of the several different kinds of shots they took of it, though.

But I have difficulty accepting Tammi just... NOT BEING THERE. That sort of thing, uh, doesn't usually happen because when you're making a film you simply don't start rolling without all the actors there who are in that scene. Maybe there's an exception here or there but certainly not when they're shooting freaking coverage that features her face in a normal shot.

Although, you know, she COULD still be in that shot, looking at it a couple more times. It is sort of a close-up on Albert and her chair has moved several feet to the left so she's more or less off-camera. It's not as if there is a shot of an empty chair, per se. It definitely doesn't match up with the preceding shot or the following shot, though.

This is also a project of larger scope and complexity than he's ever been a part of. Including a cast of hundreds, many who are reasonably popular and with busy schedules that he has to consider. Its also long as hell and it definitely seems like the original "18 Hour Movie" has been chopped up and re-arranged to fit into the format of an hour long weekly drama. There are alot of moving pieces. Mistakes are going to happen.

My guess is they wanted coverage for a close up of Albert, someone made a mistake and said Tammy didn't have to be there, so she wasn't.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Tammy was probably there in both takes, but just sitting farther to the left in some of them and that gets highlighted when they zoom in on albert. There might have been some limitations they had to work with too, since wasn't alberts actor (ferrer?) sick at that point?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Attitude Indicator posted:

Tammy was probably there in both takes, but just sitting farther to the left in some of them and that gets highlighted when they zoom in on albert. There might have been some limitations they had to work with too, since wasn't alberts actor (ferrer?) sick at that point?
Yeah, he had throat cancer for most of the filming, if not all of it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Being a still shot, it's possible that it just looked better that way.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Dunno if they've come up in the thread before, but two observations came to me today:

1. When we first meet Richard, he's playing with a lighter and threatens to molest a woman. Leland says that when he first saw BOB as a child, he taunted him with matches and may have molested him. Since Richard is the son of the evil Cooper who is fused with BOB, that kind of makes him BOB's son, which is an interesting repeating motif.
2. In the last episode of season 2, Cooper watches a Jazz Singer in the Black Lodge sing "Scyamore trees", with the lyrics about seeing 'you in the scyamore'. When Cooper re-ermges in the real world, the house that Dougie and Jade were in has a sign calling it 'Scyamore Road'.

Again, dunno if they've come up before, but if Frost and Lynch did those on purpose, that's a pretty clever callback.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Glastonbury Grove, which is the entrance place to the Black Lodge in the original series, is a circle of twelve sycamore trees. That's the significance of the song and the callback when you see the sign. I don't really see it for the first thing you're talking about, but who knows...

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
The "Billy" Audrey is referencing is actually Billy Zane. Just like Monica Bellucci is actually Monica Bellucci. Now there's a can of worms.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Modrasone posted:

The "Billy" Audrey is referencing is actually Billy Zane. Just like Monica Bellucci is actually Monica Bellucci. Now there's a can of worms.
That's a pretty Zane-y theory.

(I had the same thought actually)

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Bah GAWD whats this? Freddie outta no where with a green glove! Is that legal??!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Minor spoiler for the finale that we all saw coming anyway: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1376174315829393&set=a.388962731217228.1073741825.100003105148939&type=3&theater

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Art Alexakis posted:

This is also a project of larger scope and complexity than he's ever been a part of. Including a cast of hundreds, many who are reasonably popular and with busy schedules that he has to consider. Its also long as hell and it definitely seems like the original "18 Hour Movie" has been chopped up and re-arranged to fit into the format of an hour long weekly drama. There are alot of moving pieces. Mistakes are going to happen.

My guess is they wanted coverage for a close up of Albert, someone made a mistake and said Tammy didn't have to be there, so she wasn't.

Yeah, pretty much this. When you take on such an ambitious project and are more than likely working under some kind of deadline, all while juggling a thousand things at once, things are gonna slip through the cracks.

A lot of this season was probably constructed in the editing room, with takes and shots shuttled around and uh, creatively used and repurposed, because gently caress it. And I'm sure Lynch noticed some holes that needed to be filled here and there and did pickup shots. I wouldn't be surprised if that Albert closeup was filmed months after the original take.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
More chair talk - when Mike appears to Dougie for the first time and when he appears to awakened Cooper, he (and the Red Room) appear in front of chairs.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I assume Tammy's not in the shot because she wouldn't be properly framed up and it wouldn't look all that good. From where she is sitting you'd only see like half of her body, mostly her arm and the side of her head, and it'd take away from the focus of the shot (Albert's sick magdump).

god forbid Tammy be in a frame and awkwardly, through weird positioning, take away from the focus of a scene

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cromulent posted:

There were even more continuity errors in that Diane scene, not worth screenshotting though. Just stuff like one second her hands are by her face and she's slouched, then after a cut 2 seconds later, she's sitting straight up with her hands at her side.

Actors changing poses between shots isn't a continuity error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Actors changing poses between shots isn't a continuity error.

It is when there is no intermediary shot that cuts away from them. It happens to Audrey at the end of the latest episode too, she grabs her drink and then in the next shot she's holding it with a different grip even though it cuts from one shot of her directly to another.