Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In your case, what exactly are you trying to do in migration? I am curious in case I am forgetting some important poo poo.

I have several mods that no longer exist in 1.10, but they mostly add cosmetic blocks. I plan to add them back, but I need something to replace the blocks that are in the map with the new blocks. I'm not sure if mcedit could do that or not, but I don't recall it having that feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mensrea posted:

I have several mods that no longer exist in 1.10, but they mostly add cosmetic blocks. I plan to add them back, but I need something to replace the blocks that are in the map with the new blocks. I'm not sure if mcedit could do that or not, but I don't recall it having that feature.
Heh is that mostly Chisel? I think the current one will get blocks out of Chisel 2/Chisel 3 one of these days. But yeah--you'll probably have to remap them anyways.

FWIW I'm not planning on going right into the map data itself and remapping there. What I'll end up doing is going into the save NBT data and remapping the block information there instead. I had to do something like this before with the Lockdown enhancements I made. If I had added/removed mods then my ID map would change and I would show up in the tutorial dimension with molten bronze walls. I had to make sure it kept the block IDs intact.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Ztones was nice for blocks

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I did not know the terrasteel plate could draw mana from more than one pool at a time. Multiple sparks make it much much faster.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a good place that can explain things that have changed with Forge from 1.7.10 to 1.10.2 for basic stuff? I'm talking about something that isn't just a copy-paste tutorial. FWIW I've even been combing existing mods on GitHub and why I can't do what I want to do is a mystery. I just want the drat BFSR rattle to register, but apparently GameRegistry.register has become private. However, other mods in their 1.10.2 branch have been going nuts with it. This is some strange poo poo. I can't believe how much stuff has changed and how many more steps they've added.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a good place that can explain things that have changed with Forge from 1.7.10 to 1.10.2 for basic stuff? I'm talking about something that isn't just a copy-paste tutorial. FWIW I've even been combing existing mods on GitHub and why I can't do what I want to do is a mystery. I just want the drat BFSR rattle to register, but apparently GameRegistry.register has become private. However, other mods in their 1.10.2 branch have been going nuts with it. This is some strange poo poo. I can't believe how much stuff has changed and how many more steps they've added.

Subscribe to RegistryEvent of the appropriate sort and register through that.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There is the inhuman coding maching McJty's modding wiki: https://wiki.mcjty.eu/modding/index.php/Main_Page

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Hey, haven't played MC in quite a few years, gonna get back into it with a buddy. Any modpacks out there that won't overwhelm a new MC player, adds some sense of progression to the game AND is compact enough to run on a server with 1gb RAM (with 2-3 players)?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I think the worst part about PPM3 is that magical crop seeds take so much goddamn essentia to make. It may be in a player's best interest to set up some sort of automated system for making mass amounts of essentia before delving deeply into the advanced seeds. I usually manually operate my alembics instead of using a golem or a huge-rear end array of essentia buffers, but that's gotten pretty tedious.

Geektox posted:

Hey, haven't played MC in quite a few years, gonna get back into it with a buddy. Any modpacks out there that won't overwhelm a new MC player, adds some sense of progression to the game AND is compact enough to run on a server with 1gb RAM (with 2-3 players)?

I dunno if it satisfies the ram requirement but I hear Baby's First Space Race is a good modpack to start your modding experience with.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

bigperm posted:

There is the inhuman coding maching McJty's modding wiki: https://wiki.mcjty.eu/modding/index.php/Main_Page
I'm surprised I didn't find that myself because I base a lot of what I'm trying to do off of McJty. His 1.10.2 notes are showing that what I did should have totally worked. I suppose I will just clone his repository with his version of Forge or whatever and see if I can build it that way. Maybe I got some crazy version of Forge where they're doing some new, crazy thing or something.

I am thinking I also just need to pick a time to hang on IRC and ask questions about what is what. Given I'm typing this from the hurricane shelter where I'm volunteering, that might be awhile.

McFrugal posted:

I dunno if it satisfies the ram requirement but I hear Baby's First Space Race is a good modpack to start your modding experience with.

I think I always tried the server with 2GB but that was just because I could. I am thinking it's a fair thing to try if a workable part of the world is pregenerated just to get that out of the way.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I thought I was done with 1.7.10, but Divine Journey is a hell of a thing. Dunno if I have the patience for a pack that offers up one of its main selling points as "harder than PO2 Kappa Mode!" but the DivineRPG mod that's the centerpiece of the pack is a piece of work. Reminds me heavily of Craft of the Titans, albeit with a bit more polish and still being updated somewhat regularly.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Toadsmash posted:

I thought I was done with 1.7.10, but Divine Journey is a hell of a thing. Dunno if I have the patience for a pack that offers up one of its main selling points as "harder than PO2 Kappa Mode!" but the DivineRPG mod that's the centerpiece of the pack is a piece of work. Reminds me heavily of Craft of the Titans, albeit with a bit more polish and still being updated somewhat regularly.

What do you do in it? I've never heard of that mod.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

It's one of those giant total conversion mods that adds its own mobs/dimensions/biomes/progression. If you ever played FTB Departed, it's similar in scope to Advent of Ascension, which was the flagship mod of that pack

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Are all the weapons, dimensions and monsters still totally out of left field? I ran through Divine RPG in a multiplayer modpack a few years back and it seriously felt like the models were randomly generated and assigned numbers by a six year old.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I haven't spent much time with it yet, but the visuals I saw when I looked at pictures from the mod's wiki looked great. Certainly doesn't look placeholderish. My intro to it in the pack I'm playing now was getting eaten by a Pumpkin Spider, which is exactly what it sounds like.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I'm new to both Minecraft and modding it. I've noticed that a TON of mods are all outdated...specifically one I was really interested in EasyCrafting. Do I have to downgrade to 1.7.10 to use it? Or are there other mods that allow you to just craft without having to put things in a pattern? Is there a suggested game version to use if you're going to be modding?

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 4, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

GoGoGadget posted:

I'm new to both Minecraft and modding it. I've noticed that a TON of mods are all outdated...specifically one I was really interested in EasyCrafting. Do I have to downgrade to 1.7.10 to use it? Or are there other mods that allow you to just craft without having to put things in a pattern? Is there a suggested game version to use if you're going to be modding?

Mods like NEI (1.7.10) and JEI (1.8+) are integrated recipe books have the ability to auto-fill a crafting table with a recipe, if you've got all the stuff in your inventory to make whatever you're trying to make. Basically every pack will have a mod that does this.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I figured out a big problem I was having with getting anything to work in my BFSR support mod updates was because I was using 1.12. It looks like that all get thrown on its head again. I walked back to the right version and got the rattle and the ID dumping command to seemingly work. I'll have to see what I can do with dumps from 1.7.10 and 1.10.2. If I can correlate them then the migration might become really easy.

I have some questions about commands that may have updated in 1.10.2. Are there built-in commands now to:

1. Teleport a named player to a specific dimension and coordinates
2. Teleport a named player to the currently-set spawn point

If these are things now, then I can rip out a lot of code rather than have to update them. Even taking care of #1 would help.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadget posted:

...technically 1.12 does this in-game, actually. But to expand on what Gwyneth said, Not Enough Items and Just Enough Items are mods which literally add a list of all blocks in the pack to your inventory, letting you click on them to see their recipe and what they are ingredients for (and a button that autofills in blocks from your inventory to create them, if you have the ingredients).

But to your other question, you would need to use 1.7 to use this mod yes. Which means all your mods would need to be 1.7 versions, too.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If I'm probably 2+ months away from even getting a modpack updated from 1.7.10, should I just focus on 1.12?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If I'm probably 2+ months away from even getting a modpack updated from 1.7.10, should I just focus on 1.12?
Most of the mod makers have moved on to 1.12.x already, but there's a minor split right now between 1.12 and 1.12.1 you might run into.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

If Modern Skyblock 2 is anything to go by, modmakers have been making the jump to 1.12 with record speed. You might be surprised by how much is already out there.

Sky Resources is so much better a solution to the skyblock problem than Ex Nihilo it's not even funny.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 7, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, I've been playing MSB2 too. Be aware that it's very much a pack that's undergoing active development -- Botania was inserted into the tech tree less than four hours ago, for instance. I had already progressed past it, but Botania's got enough QOL stuff that I'm just gonna do it anyways.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it seems like there's only a small subset still hanging on to 1.10 exclusively, and more and more devs have stopped updating <1.12 versions entirely. Though for reasons unknown the Galactic Science pack author is still making Galactic Science 2 on 1.7.10. Baffling!

As someone who prefers playing curated packs over making my own though (because I like playing for an experience) the annoying thing about rapid version changes is, essentially, 'Oh well I guess this pack I'm playing will never get its problems fixed/that new functionality I'd like', but that's not the fault of the devs.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

MSB2 is great. I hadn't played with the previous versions of Sky Resources before, but there's so much more room for creative problem solving even at early tech levels I love it.

My biggest complaint with the pack is that the author made some really, really questionable decisions with how any form of storage convenience gated. AA storage crates being gated so far down the tech tree that they're completely useless by the time you get them, for instance.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Toadsmash posted:

My biggest complaint with the pack is that the author made some really, really questionable decisions with how any form of storage convenience gated. AA storage crates being gated so far down the tech tree that they're completely useless by the time you get them, for instance.

Hmm? You can get the Compressor really early. That's all you need to make the goofy wood stuff for them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've actually been playing MSB2, and I think I still prefer the Ex Nihilo systems than the SkyResources ones. Like, it's interesting to make the new multiblocks and stuff, but it still feels overcomplicated to me.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hmm? You can get the Compressor really early. That's all you need to make the goofy wood stuff for them.

I was stumped on how I was going to get sugarcane (requires glistering melons as an infusion ingredient, which require tier 2 techreborn circuit machines) until I bothered looking up paper & sugar in NEI and found that you can make both from rice fairly easily.

Makes me wonder why you would bother making sugarcane so hard to get in the first place? Is there anything it's used for beside paper & sugar?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

automation of paper/sugar creation? i have no idea

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nevets posted:

I was stumped on how I was going to get sugarcane (requires glistering melons as an infusion ingredient, which require tier 2 techreborn circuit machines) until I bothered looking up paper & sugar in NEI and found that you can make both from rice fairly easily.

Makes me wonder why you would bother making sugarcane so hard to get in the first place? Is there anything it's used for beside paper & sugar?

You can also get paper from using the rock grinder on wood logs to make wood dust, then taking 4 wood dust and a (clay) bucket of water to make 2 paper.

Sugar you can get from witches in your mob grinder, as well.

I think the point behind sugar is to make vector plates harder to get? You need sugar for them.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Toadsmash posted:

MSB2 is great. I hadn't played with the previous versions of Sky Resources before, but there's so much more room for creative problem solving even at early tech levels I love it.

My biggest complaint is that it seems to take 20 minutes to load the pack up, which stalls out in the home stretch so I can't play it at all

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Magmarashi posted:

My biggest complaint is that it seems to take 20 minutes to load the pack up, which stalls out in the home stretch so I can't play it at all

It's impressive that the load time manages to stand out from other giant mod packs, gotta say.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, especially after the last update it takes forever. Pack has a TON of mods. I bumped my RAM up to 6 gigs.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Never had a problem loading MSB2, takes a few minutes but always works.

9 out of 10 times I try to update the pack it fails, though. Usually at the 98% complete mark. Yay for twitch launcher.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Ex Nihilo is just frustratingly inflexible. Sky Resources' complexity is the direct cause of there being a variety of ways to approach the problems it throws at you. So that's a point in its favor for me.

MSB2 is designed to be an expert mode style pack, but it still manages to not feel grindy for the most part with a pretty constant drip of tech milestones to achieve. I'm curious how much faster than Ex Nihilo a closer to default configuration of Sky Resources manages to be.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
...oh so I'm actually expected to get a simple mob spawn setup going for creepers before I even have stone. That's.. something.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah that was one of the other things that bugged me. Vanilla style mob farms are tedious as hell to set up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Your beginning mob farm can be something as simple as a dark room that you can hit mobs through.

A bog standard mob drop tower is highly recommended, though. Make it 24 blocks tall and put it basically right next to where you spend all your time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I made a small basic mob farm to start with.

It's basically a 1 block deep, nine block wide, two block high space that's technically in total darkness, but the gap is just at the right height for me to be able to stand right in front of it and kill everything without them being able to retaliate. You can shift the gap down one half-slab to make it so the mobs can't see you.

For some reason it doesn't spawn as much as I feel like it should even though it's red-X dark in there and there's no place else for stuff to spawn, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

For some reason it doesn't spawn as much as I feel like it should even though it's red-X dark in there and there's no place else for stuff to spawn, though.

I had trouble with the 1 block deep farms, too. I didn't really get mobs spawning until I increased it to 3 deep and 3 tall.