Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I was blown away that I realize that I like it way the hell more than ET.

Most definitely.

Another thing I realized is how good Spielberg's at doing scenes where people hide from an unseen terror. The scene where Jillian is trying to stop the aliens from abducting her son reminded me of the kitchen raptor scene in Jurassic Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've been preparing for this day. I ain't gonna die in no ghetto.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just figured out the formula to the ultimate crap movie. A direct to DVD sequel to a Spielberg movie that originally starred Jim Carrey not directed by Speilberg or starring Jim Carrey.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Primer sucks if you watch it trying to figure out plot mechanics, just like Upstream Color. Both are good films.

I agree that Upstream Color is the better movie, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but there are dumb people who latch onto movies for things like "tactical time travel realism". All those people were really confised by Upstream Color.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
You know what's not nice? Having a small crack in your toenail that you don't notice so half the nail goes with the sock you pull up. Not that much blood but a lot of pain.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Budgie Jumping posted:

I also saw Close Encounters in theaters yesterday. Probably my favorite midlife crisis narrative.

I booked a triple feature for Monday: Good Time, Close Encounters, and motherfucking Terminator 2.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I'm just waiting for a Elon Musk biopic starring Kevin Durand.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
*shifts uncomfortably in seat*

https://twitter.com/RealDorianDawes/status/904076426600689664

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
My favorite thing about Close Encounters of the Third time is that at the height of his career Spielberg had the audacity to make a movie that ends with the main character abandoning his family and totally got away with it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

Oh yeah. Primer appealed to a lot of "plot mechanics" nerds, which then hated Upstream Color, which is not about that sort of thing at all. I just meant that because Upstream Color improves upon Primer in almost every way, it would be better to watch Primer first.

I don't think it would be wrong to say that Primer explores intellectual quandary, while Upstream Color explores emotional quandary.

I feel like I would probably like UC, then, for the same reasons I prefer Soderbergh's Solaris to Tarkovsky's

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Literally been trying to find this video for years, enjoy. It's very dumb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWdUOayDWRE

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Biodome posted:

I'm just waiting for a Elon Musk biopic starring Kevin Durand.

I'm pretty sure John Barrowman should play Elon Musk.

Edit: wow either of them world work.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Anonymous Robot posted:

The "child lock" was on for the disc tray

why's that a thing

You can tell who doesn't have kids here, they open trays during movies all the time. The Xbox and other devices with the proximity buttons are basically useless if you have kids or pets

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

If you're looking for some good leftist podcasts these are my new favs:

The Discourse Collective - yung communists podcast with good theory episodes where they explore Marxist writings, the culture eps are a diff group of people and theyre okay too

The Trillbilly Worker's Party- Appalachia based leftists, funny

Champagne Sharks - probably a little problematic for some, afro-pessimism pod hosted by @rickyrawls, critical of intersectional feminism and "white-ally-industrial complex", unapologetically black male centered, its intelligent and heady and really funny in a subtle way

Also, Season of the Bitch is a feminist podcast thats supposrd to be good but i havent had a chance to listen to it yet

This is great stuff, man, thanks

Hedenius posted:

Yeah. It really let's Dolan shine as a the total dork he is. They should do a show on the same theme with China Mieville on.

Mieville is much more interesting as a speaker/non fiction writer than he is in fiction

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I'm a big fan of the repeated uses of My Rifle My Pony and Me in the Sopranos.

I hate Janice

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bows1 posted:

I'm a big fan of the repeated uses of My Rifle My Pony and Me in the Sopranos.

I hate Janice

How do you feel about Carmella?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I can't believe Carmella and Lois Griffin premiered the same year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't like the future anymore
https://twitter.com/intheInfantry/status/904040173801021440

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

My favorite thing about Close Encounters of the Third time is that at the height of his career Spielberg had the audacity to make a movie that ends with the main character abandoning his family and totally got away with it.

Yeah, he's been pretty vocal that he would never script a movie that way again, after being a father himself.

It's been forever and a day since I've watched it, but oh boy does Close Encounters (sorry, forgot the whole using-nouns thing) feel a lot different now that we better understand the nature of mental illness and how it can ruin families. You know his kids are going to have issues down the line that they'll need to work out.

Also, man, those little girl alien suits do not hold up well (I'm glad that the one in theaters right now doesn't have that freeze-frame of the lady taking photos of them, because I distinctly one of them being really obvious flat masks), and that first frail one is terrifying.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 3, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

What movie is this? Close Encounters still?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

Yeah.

Roy's wife was not handling her husband's mental illness very well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imma try and catch that tomorrow. I was actually watching the Blu Ray but stopped halfway through because why would I waste my rewatch on my TV vs a dope theater?

I also have a free ticket too.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Detective No. 27 posted:

Close Encounters in the theater was amazing. Right before it started, there was a mini documentary. Spielberg talked about how he was inspired by Pinoccio and how the finale reminded him about Jimminy Cricket singing about making your dream come true. Then the movie had Roy try to convince his family to see Pinoccio isntead of go goofy golfing, and a bit later there was a little Pinoccio ceramic music box. During the climax when the mothership arrived, John Williams's score swelled and I caught him completely steal a few notes from "When You Wish Upon A Star." I don't know if that is widely known or not. It was a blink and miss moment...uh, but with your ears.

The movie was gorgeous. And haunting. A few moments felt downright Lynchian. I had seen the movie before, but this felt like seeing it for the first time. Never pass up the opportunity to watch a Spielberg movie on the big screen.* It's ironic how he might be the most famous movie director in the world but he's sorta underlooked here in CineD. He makes it seem so easy.

*Despite doing my best to avoid seeing the RP1 trailer, it played before Close Encounters. It looks real bad. Maybe don't see that one.

I just got back from watching it on a giant screen also. I had only seen parts of the film on tv in the past, but seeing it all on a giant screen with a proper sound system showed just beautiful the movie is, especially the last 20 minutes or so. Some of those shots look gorgeous as you said on the big screen. I was thinking about skipping it to watch something newer tonight, but glad I made the right choice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That skinny alien is freaky as hell.

All of them are. Horrifically terrifying alien designs for such sweet creatures.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Coffee And Pie posted:

How do you feel about Carmella?

I think Carmella does about as well as possible in that situation. I really liked her character. She really loved Tony while realizing what her situation meant for her life and family.

It would probably be awful to cause if you wanted to leave you might just get wacked :(

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

I assumed IT at first and fam those kids are going to be hosed up already.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Man, I'm so glad I found out about this little theater in Pittsburgh. Their lineup going into Halloween is crazy.

Row House Cinema posted:

George Romero Tribute - October 13 - 19
Creepshow
Knightriders
Day Of The Dead
Night Of The Living Dead
Season Of The Witch - New Restoration

Row House Of Horrors - October 20 - 31
Evil Dead II
Hocus Pocus
Night Of The Living Dead
Suspiria - New Restoration Italian Edition
The Devil's Backbone - Midnight Horror
The Exorcist

I know nothing about the Devil's Backbone or Suspiria, but everything this place has shown has been great so far.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Poltergeist owns. Craig T Nelson is one of my favorite movie dads.

bows1 posted:

I think Carmella does about as well as possible in that situation. I really liked her character. She really loved Tony while realizing what her situation meant for her life and family.

It would probably be awful to cause if you wanted to leave you might just get wacked :(

That's the right answer. And the same right answer for breaking bad. The wrong answer means the person is a terrible misogynist.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CelticPredator posted:

All of them are. Horrifically terrifying alien designs for such sweet creatures.

Sweet creatures? All we see them do is destroy families, either by afflicting members of that family with mental illness or by holding members of the family hostage for 30+ years. For some reason, the people of Close Encounters who literally line up to get subjugated (and god knows what else) by a technologically advanced civilization are cool and correct, and the people who are upset because of all the chaos these aliens are causing just get left in the dust, are made irrelevant. I still like the movie, but Spielberg must have been going through something really hosed up when he made it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I get the impression that the mental illness aspects of them spraypainting an image onto someone's brain was just exposing something already there. The movie even says that there were likely a ton of people who got the invitation who didn't get that far (because had a voice in their head that counter-balanced the Come To A Distant Tall Rock, perhaps). poo poo, half the people who got all the way there were demanding the military get them out of there.

Neary felt a little deranged at the beginning.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but the alien smiles at the end so it's cutttteee.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Goon Danton posted:

I know nothing about the Devil's Backbone or Suspiria, but everything this place has shown has been great so far.

Suspiria oowwwwwnnnnnssss, and it should be the recently re-discovered uncut version.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Goon Danton posted:

Suspiria is serously one of the best films ever.

Trailers are also good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RryaqGHep0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o7oVwyoDds

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. That fragile way it moved just freaked the hell out of me. Then the little aliens came out and I just thought of how adorable it would have been to see Spielberg direct all those kids in the alien costumes. :3:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Poltergeist owns. Craig T Nelson is one of my favorite movie dads.

That's the right answer. And the same right answer for breaking bad. The wrong answer means the person is a terrible misogynist.

Absolutely. The show (Sopranos) in its entirety is a such a stinging and well-done commentary on toxic masculinity that it should have a college class devoted to it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Further proof we do not live in the best of all possible worlds.
https://twitter.com/wakandaho/status/904045275479715840

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The mental illness aspect of close encounters is pretty interesting with Leary essentially absolved of his sins and given the blessing of god to go away with the angels. It even looks like he alone was the chosen one. So is the moving saying that society is at fault for not understanding mental illness? Last we see of his family is his wife driving off with the kids, who want to help him, while the neighbors just watch. In response we see him closing his windows on all the happy family units he sees.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Suspiria features the best scene of someone being menaced by a bat in film.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I love the way Godzilla looks and moves in Shin Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Is Poltergeist the one that was stealth directed by Spielberg or am o thinking of something else?

FishBulb posted:

Suspiria features the best scene of someone being menaced by a bat in film.

I was gonna say The Shining but that's kinda the opposite of what happens there.

• Locked thread