Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Bogart posted:

reminder thta the best sonud effect in hots is varian's lunatic scream when he colossus slams
I've heard it dozens of times and I've looked up what it sounds like dozens of times, but I can never remember exactly what it sounds like. So weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It sounds like you're about to get loving destroyed and there's fuckall you can do about it.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
It kind of sounds like eyaaaaaAAAHHHHH

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skipThings posted:

They could release a monkey professor who lives on the moon, instead we get another broody Japanese guy with questionable facial hair

Ook? :mad:

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Winston is a gorilla and also a highly respected scientist, please treat him as such.

:argh:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Get Innocuous! posted:

It kind of sounds like eyaaaaaAAAHHHHH
This reminds me that Cassia also has an "eeeyyEHHH!" sort of voice line when using an ability sometimes, except for some reason it makes her sound like a 12-year-old girl. :confused:

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Bogart posted:

reminder thta the best sonud effect in hots is varian's lunatic scream when he colossus slams

It means someone is getting burst down.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
The best sound effect in hots is a never-ending chorus of bleating when the enemy team is too retarded to split up during a Poly Bomb. I got silencer as Medivh once, it was awesome.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The best sound in hots is produced by my patented Puttin' On a Clinic / A Card to Play Jimmy with Murky and TLV in my team as I unleash a new Hyperion every 10 seconds.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Blizzard would be wise to stop putting characters I don't like into the game and only put ones in that I do like!!!!

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Just put in Gambler from that one Warcraft 3 mod.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Bogart posted:

wrong, its that freaky low pitched growling noise that happens when greymane's gftt target dies before he reaches them

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
But what is the worst sound in HotS?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

W.T. Fits posted:

The sound of hammer being confirmed on your team during draft.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Any time the default announcer on Garden of Terror says anything.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
That little drum beat leading up to ETC Mosh pit. Noooooo!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Any time the default announcer on Garden of Terror says anything.

RISE MY TERROR, SUCK THE LIFE FROM YOUR ENEMIES

I like that bipolar lady :shobon:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Mierenneuker posted:

RISE MY TERROR, SUCK THE LIFE FROM YOUR ENEMIES

I like that bipolar lady :shobon:

Garden of Terror lady screaming at me to do stuff makes me feel good... I think I have a thing for assertive loud women.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

W.T. Fits posted:

"My web weavers shall weave a web :byodame:"

Yeah no poo poo, lady, that's what web weavers do.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

The current Garrosh screen when you open the program.

Otherwise the sounds are really well done, scariest for me now is the hitching post sound that Lamb To The Slaughter makes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

W.T. Fits posted:

"Cycles Remaining... 10 .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 3 2 1... Battle commencing.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

MMAgCh posted:

"My web weavers shall weave a web :byodame:"

Yeah no poo poo, lady, that's what web weavers do.

...a web of DEATH UPON YOUR FOES!"

See, most web weavers just make webs of silk or something useless like that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, whichever announcer says has the bug that says the wrong team name sometimes. Incredibly distracting.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Spider Queen > Garden Lady
Raven Lord > Grave Keeper
Braxis Nerd > Everyone

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Spider Queen > Garden Lady
Raven Lord > Grave Keeper
Braxis Nerd > Everyone

I think you forgot about Ol' Blackheart!

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

W.T. Fits posted:

Stitches.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

"welcome to warhead junction"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Gustav posted:

That little drum beat leading up to ETC Mosh pit. Noooooo!

That's a cowbell.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The worst sound in Heroes of the Storm is Varian's level 10 levelup sound.

because you know he's going to pick twin blades of fury

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Power Bottom posted:

That's a cowbell.

That's racist.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

So, going back to the recent topic of solo laners. I have some questions. Basically, what is the ideal situation for a solo laner to end up in? I understand the things you ideally don't want. You don't want to die or have to back if you can avoid it. You don't want to get ganked if someone rotates to you. You don't want their minions to beat on your walls or worse. But what is the situation you DO want? I used to think that the ideal was to clear the enemy wave ASAP, but people here have over time said that's not ideal sometimes, because if the wave gets so far out that you can't soak the next enemies safely that's bad. So that would seem to indicate that I don't necessarily want to push my lane to the enemy fort even if it's damaging their stuff. So is the "ideal" solo lane simply to zone the enemy out of soak range and then let the minions all kill each other off? Or what?

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 3, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Mind over Matter posted:

So, going back to the recent topic of solo laners. I have some questions. Basically, what is the idea situation for a solo laner to end up in? I understand the things you ideally don't want. You don't want to die or have to back if you can avoid it. You don't want to get ganked if someone rotates to you. You don't want their minions to beat on your walls or worse. But what is the situation you DO want? I used to think that the ideal was to clear the enemy wave ASAP, but people here have over time said that's not ideal sometimes, because if the wave gets so far out that you can't soak the next enemies safely that's bad. So that would seem to indicate that I don't necessarily want to push my lane to the enemy fort even if it's damaging their stuff. So is the "ideal" solo lane simply to zone the enemy out of soak range and then let the minions all kill each other off? Or what?

Yeah pretty much. You want to soak as much xp as possible while the enemy soaks as little as possible.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Pushing up to the tower does waste their ammo though, which can be good too as it lets later minion waves start doing tower/gate damage.

edit: So how do placements work? I did HL when I didn't know how to play at all and just sucked, lost like 9/10 games and ended up in bronze 5. Did a few TL games at that same time (when I just started) which I lost; then didn't pick it up until tonight. Ended up with 50% win on the placements, but still in bronze 4. What's the deal? Do you have to win 10/10 to not be in bronze? Am I just super bad??

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 3, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Depends on who you're soloing as. There are heroes who get picked because they can do severe damage if the lane is unattended for even a few seconds (Nazeebo, Zagara, Xul, Murky), there are heroes who are chosen for their ability to waveclear and then completely stall the enemy's push attempts (Johanna, Sonya, Leoric, Dehaka), there are heroes who get picked because they're expected to ditch the lane and go teamfight or gank at a moment's notice (Jaina, Kael'thas, Tracer, Falstad).

For the first type, you basically want to take advantage of any situation where you can either work uninterrupted or be generally unattended in your given lane for as long as possible. Easiest way to do this is to kill off the minion's backline and then wait for the minions to kill each other - the ranged minions are the ones that deal damage, whereas the melee minions are beefy as hell, so by leaving the frontline alive and letting the minions deal with it you're stacking the lane in your favor. Pushing becomes much easier as a result, and minions do not gently caress around when it comes to structure damage.

Second type, you stall the lane for as long as possible. Don't get ballsy and try to push, just clear the minions and annoy your lane opponent where possible. Johanna is seeing some serious mileage these days as a solo laner because you just can't kill her, and she can out-bully Zagara in a lane by virtue of having three abilities with relatively short cooldowns that can be used to clear Creep. Bonus points if you're Dehaka, because you can stall the lane and gently caress off at a moment's notice to kill somebody. Globals!

Third type, you just focus on not dying and piss off as soon as your team needs you. High mobility characters are best for this role (Tracer, Falstad) because they can be halfway to another lane in the span of a few seconds (much shorter time period on smaller maps like Tomb).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mind over Matter posted:

So, going back to the recent topic of solo laners. I have some questions. Basically, what is the ideal situation for a solo laner to end up in? I understand the things you ideally don't want. You don't want to die or have to back if you can avoid it. You don't want to get ganked if someone rotates to you. You don't want their minions to beat on your walls or worse. But what is the situation you DO want? I used to think that the ideal was to clear the enemy wave ASAP, but people here have over time said that's not ideal sometimes, because if the wave gets so far out that you can't soak the next enemies safely that's bad. So that would seem to indicate that I don't necessarily want to push my lane to the enemy fort even if it's damaging their stuff. So is the "ideal" solo lane simply to zone the enemy out of soak range and then let the minions all kill each other off? Or what?

if you're able to zone the enemy off, do that. if you're unable to do that but feel like you can avoid ganks, push up to their walls to waste turret shots, then rotate to have position in case you need to gank. if you can't do either one just soak exp

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Pushing up to the tower does waste their ammo though, which can be good too as it lets later minion waves start doing tower/gate damage.

edit: So how do placements work? I did HL when I didn't know how to play at all and just sucked, lost like 9/10 games and ended up in bronze 5. Did a few TL games at that same time (when I just started) which I lost; then didn't pick it up until tonight. Ended up with 50% win on the placements, but still in bronze 4. What's the deal? Do you have to win 10/10 to not be in bronze? Am I just super bad??

Rank in general moves slowly. On average, it takes 6 more wins than losses to move up a rank, though depending on who is favored in the matches might make that 5 or 8, up to the extremes of 4 (your opponents were very favored) or 11. This is net wins, so your winrate determines how many total games that will take.

A 50% winrate will stagnate you. 55% winrate means winning 1 extra out of 20 games, so it'd take you ~120 games. 60% winrate means 1 net win every 5 games, so ranking up takes you ~30 games.

Placements makes it easier to move up and down, but not by huge leaps, and it can easily screw you if you start off poorly. How much it moves you depends on the skill matchup. If you lose your first two, it'll give you easier opponents. If you continue to lose, it'll give you mouth breather opponents. If you beat them, it doesn't think you're back where you started, it just thinks you're better than the last group you beat, and it starts walking you back up. So if you lose 5 in a row then win 5 in placements, you had already dug your hole pretty deep. Looks like you convinced them to move up to B4, though, so at least there's that.

Tomorrow it'll all reset, which means you have the chance to move more quickly again, but in which direction? Those first few matches really matter, but your teammates are even more of a mixed bag during placements. Otoh, so are your opponents. You're low rank, so the high risk high reward is probably in your favor. Some people who want more predictable skill parity might wait a few weeks after a reset so they can have more personal influence on their games, since the teams are more likely to be well matched.

Another random note - the very first time you do placements, your starting point is based on your QM or UD MMR. The stated method is that this isn't true again after your first few placement games, so even if you got better in QM or UD it wouldn't affect the rest of your placements.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The dream solo laner is someone who can win the 1v1 AND drain tower ammo at the same time. So Chen

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Semper Fudge posted:

If nothing else, it'd be interesting to see how the HOTS team shores up Hanzo's bare bones rear end kit the way they did DVa's.

No AA.
Skillshot Q that you can charge for more damage.
W is the bouncing arrow that hits all targets in an area.
E is the Sonar Arrow that reveals Stealth.

D is a flip like Genji's.

R1 is his crazy dragon ghost thing, level 20 upgrade makes it cross the map but it has a huge tell and is slow.

R2 is some arrow spam move or whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They'll turn Hanzo into a hard support with healing arrows that do 0 damage to enemies.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

Rank in general moves slowly. On average, it takes 6 more wins than losses to move up a rank, though depending on who is favored in the matches might make that 5 or 8, up to the extremes of 4 (your opponents were very favored) or 11. This is net wins, so your winrate determines how many total games that will take.

A 50% winrate will stagnate you. 55% winrate means winning 1 extra out of 20 games, so it'd take you ~120 games. 60% winrate means 1 net win every 5 games, so ranking up takes you ~30 games.

Placements makes it easier to move up and down, but not by huge leaps, and it can easily screw you if you start off poorly. How much it moves you depends on the skill matchup. If you lose your first two, it'll give you easier opponents. If you continue to lose, it'll give you mouth breather opponents. If you beat them, it doesn't think you're back where you started, it just thinks you're better than the last group you beat, and it starts walking you back up. So if you lose 5 in a row then win 5 in placements, you had already dug your hole pretty deep. Looks like you convinced them to move up to B4, though, so at least there's that.

Tomorrow it'll all reset, which means you have the chance to move more quickly again, but in which direction? Those first few matches really matter, but your teammates are even more of a mixed bag during placements. Otoh, so are your opponents. You're low rank, so the high risk high reward is probably in your favor. Some people who want more predictable skill parity might wait a few weeks after a reset so they can have more personal influence on their games, since the teams are more likely to be well matched.

Another random note - the very first time you do placements, your starting point is based on your QM or UD MMR. The stated method is that this isn't true again after your first few placement games, so even if you got better in QM or UD it wouldn't affect the rest of your placements.
I'm actually putting off doing HL placements until next season for this reason. Still don't really have a full roster I'm comfortable with - it's shaping up to be Rehgar, Valla, Sonya, Dehaka, Greymane, but I still haven't found a primary tank or second healer I like. Karazim or Lili are the obvious choices but I hate how bad their wave clear is.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fuzz posted:

W is the bouncing arrow that hits all targets in an area.
It'll work like cocktail, but it can target the ground and if you manage to land it one pixel in front of someone they take 5000 damage.