Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I didn't notice any membranes in it. To be honest it looks like any connective tissue was removed.

Luckily the last studio mate left so I'm the only one at work, stewing in my own stink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:3: omg I won some KO coupons from the instagram contest and also a royal taster's kit for the new hot sauce sardines. :kimchi: yaaayyyyy

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Snoo posted:

:3: omg I won some KO coupons from the instagram contest and also a royal taster's kit for the new hot sauce sardines. :kimchi: yaaayyyyy

Congratulations! Enjoy the delicious new fishies!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

The Snoo posted:

Me too! Any idea what comes in the tasting kit?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Me too! Any idea what comes in the tasting kit?

I've had a taster's kit for their boneless/skinless mackerel before and it came with two tins and I think a coupon. no idea about this kit besides them being hot sauce 'dines!

I got 3 free can coupons and two of the $1 off two cans coupons, gonna share these with my dad :3:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I had some dines w shallot and avocado on a sandwich today. :tipshat:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had herring on toast with brown mustard and mayo.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I also won a Tapatio taster kit and they threw in an apron too since I was the only one who put in any effort:

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
I've so pleased to find other sardine fans. I've been on an all sardine diet for two weeks and I'm making GBS threads five times day, it's glorious.

They also taste pretty good.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Just had five scrambled eggs with kippered herring.

10/10

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Oh poo poo thread, I just remember I RESTOCKED MY KO KIPPERS!!! They were on sale at the local so I knew I had no option but to eat yummy fishies.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

The Snoo posted:

This is my 3rd time winning, and since I haven't seen the hot sauce ones around I'm very excited. Once again this thread rules.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh, this thread still exists.

My first experience with this (or previous?) thread was that it inspired me to try sardines in the form of lovely cheapo Beach Cliff (I think?) sardines that were on sale. And now I'm not necessarily blaming them, but I became violently ill that night and for a long time after that no longer wanted to eat tiny fish from cans.

But I bought a bunch of canned fish products for Harvey anyway, only it turned out filling your kitchen with strong ocean smells is the last thing you want to do when you have no AC or plumbing for a week and the whole house is a sauna full of dog and wet carpet. Things returning to normal here however and I've got a lot of assorted fish things crammed into cans to work my way through. Is there a recipe site somewhere that appreciates these things as much as this thread does, or can someone point me to specific posts with suggestions? I read about fisherman's eggs and I'm aware of the Alton Brown recipe and that is the extent of my sardine knowledge. (The mackerel I have I'm assuming I can treat like salmon and make croquettes?)

e: Also, I have two cans of Crown Prince smoked oysters but didn't notice till now they were from China. Odds on them giving me cancer?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
are the KO in tomato sauce worth it because walmart doesnt have them and never having had tomato ones im wondering if its worth sourcing them.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

are the KO in tomato sauce worth it because walmart doesnt have them and never having had tomato ones im wondering if its worth sourcing them.

the fact that they're stored in tomato sauce might help if you're using it in a recipe where you're mixing into some type of tomato sauce anyway. No dealing with excess oil or whatev. The taste of the sauce by itself, IMO, isn't good. The last time I tasted it, it lacked basic seasoning and was too sweet which means it's got enough sugar in it that made it not very well-balanced. I don't see myself buying some again any time soon

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Zoe posted:

My first experience with this (or previous?) thread was that it inspired me to try sardines in the form of lovely cheapo Beach Cliff (I think?) sardines that were on sale. And now I'm not necessarily blaming them, but I became violently ill that night and for a long time after that no longer wanted to eat tiny fish from cans.

But I bought a bunch of canned fish products for Harvey anyway, only it turned out filling your kitchen with strong ocean smells is the last thing you want to do when you have no AC or plumbing for a week and the whole house is a sauna full of dog and wet carpet. Things returning to normal here however and I've got a lot of assorted fish things crammed into cans to work my way through. Is there a recipe site somewhere that appreciates these things as much as this thread does, or can someone point me to specific posts with suggestions? I read about fisherman's eggs and I'm aware of the Alton Brown recipe and that is the extent of my sardine knowledge. (The mackerel I have I'm assuming I can treat like salmon and make croquettes?)

e: Also, I have two cans of Crown Prince smoked oysters but didn't notice till now they were from China. Odds on them giving me cancer?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've only ever had larger sardines from the really big, oval-shaped cans in tomato sauce, which are usually in the "Hispanic/Latino foods" aisle, rather than with the KOs and canned tuna. I've never liked any of those.

Never found mustard 'dines I've liked either.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Fish oil really lubes the poops

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Zoe posted:

It's pretty easy to just mash sardines up with a fork and stuff and make a nice sandwich spread. I like to do some brown mustard, dill, black pepper and garlic powder. Or you can go with mayo and put whatever you would normally do tuna salad with. If you have some kippered herring you can mix it with sour cream, horseradish, etc. and basically make bacon horseradish dip out of it. It's too heavy for chips but it's good on crackers or toast or whatever. I usually throw in some chopped parsley, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne or crushed red.

For actual recipes, you've got me. You can probably make croquettes or cakes out of sardines just like salmon/tuna/crab/whatever.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
You can serve them with pasta, Sicilian style. Of course the real "pasta con le sard" has fennel, raisins, anchovy and saffron, plus bread crumbs, fresh dines and pine nuts.
But for a quick knock up version if you had sardines in tomato I'd do onion, garlic, tomato paste, some fresh tomato or passata, and some fried bread cubes. Maybe some olives or capers if you don't have anchovies.
If you had sardines in oil, maybe just do a basil pesto sauce and garlic on pasta, with some evoo and parmesan?

Probably some portuguese and spanish style recipes out there too.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 4, 2017

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

I only buy sardines in tomato sauce when I want to make this recipe I got from the first sardine thread

https://www.asianinamericamag.com/2012/11/sardines-spinach-and-tomatoes-soup-sabo-tacsyapu-na/

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Inkfish posted:

I only buy sardines in tomato sauce when I want to make this recipe I got from the first sardine thread

https://www.asianinamericamag.com/2012/11/sardines-spinach-and-tomatoes-soup-sabo-tacsyapu-na/

I wanna make that. When looking up sardine recipes the greatest results were from Sicily, Portugal and the Philippines. You'd think there would be some recipes from the baltic sea area, but they just eat them on bread or with potato. You'd think there would be more recipes from the med too...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 4, 2017

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Man ask for more than perfect fish on bread is greedy man. Shame.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I just tried my Sole Mare aussie brand mackerel in morrocan tomato spicy sauce. Pros: the sauce was nice - wasn't spicy though. Cons: the fish was overcooked, dry and hard-ish :(
I guess if you don't like "fishy" smelling mackerel this is for you? Mackerel can be really strong tasting, but this definitely wasn't, especially with the sauce.

The 'house-mate' here always complains about the smell when I eat anything she doesn't like, eg baked beans, mi goreng or sardines. She raised hell last time I opened KO mackerel (that was a bit smelly even for me I admit). But this sole mare mackerel in tomato sauce is so dead she didn't say anything. Good to stock up on if a hurricane is coming and you don't want to stink your house out like the poster above complained about.

Had it on grilled bread with rocket, tomato, red onion and pickled jalapenos.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 4, 2017

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
How is mackerel, I see cans of it next to the sardines and herring and I'm curious.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Stronger smelling, usually very fishy and oily. I only try it occasionally when I'm feeling like something different to sardines or tuna. This brand managed to kill off the stronger taste and smell it usually has.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I'll admit to drinkin' the olive oil from the sardine / herring cans when I'm drunk.

So bad, but so good.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Roki B posted:

How is mackerel, I see cans of it next to the sardines and herring and I'm curious.

It's good. Fishy and oily and flavorful.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

KO's boneless/skinless mackerel is the nicest one I've had in a flat tin (the other being bumblebee, which is ok but the last tin I had was bulging and I spent a week thinking I was gonna die lol), never had anything in a regular cylindrical can tho.

it's like soft and savory as hell and I like it a lot, I just eat it straight from the can. but I don't get it often.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

cenotaph posted:

It's pretty easy to just mash sardines up with a fork and stuff and make a nice sandwich spread. I like to do some brown mustard, dill, black pepper and garlic powder. Or you can go with mayo and put whatever you would normally do tuna salad with. If you have some kippered herring you can mix it with sour cream, horseradish, etc. and basically make bacon horseradish dip out of it. It's too heavy for chips but it's good on crackers or toast or whatever. I usually throw in some chopped parsley, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne or crushed red.

For actual recipes, you've got me. You can probably make croquettes or cakes out of sardines just like salmon/tuna/crab/whatever.

I do have herring actually, that was going to be my next question so I'll try this.

For breakfast I made a potato pancake and put sauteed onions and sardines on top with a spoonful of salsa. It was good but I ended up using less sardines than intended because these ones had too strong of a smoky taste. The brand was Polar and they're brislings packed upright in olive oil in a glass jar and looked pretty appealing that way anyhow. There's a lot of sardines in there actually so I'll do something with the rest later. ('dines sorry, that's right they're pronounced 'dines.)

I now need to go burn a Glade candle in my kitchen or something.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I like kippers as a side to scrambled eggs and toast, instead of meat. smokey salty fish and soft wet eggs with crisp bread. nice

naem
May 29, 2011

Whenever I stock up on canned foods for emergencies I always just end up eating it all and not leaving my house for a month (because why, there's food)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
These are the ones I'm using btw: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07347V34F

I like the way they're packed and really appreciate being able to see exactly what I'm getting, that smoke flavor is just too dang strong though and the herring I have is also smoked and the same brand so I'm already worried there.

Tried a couple on crackers with a dab of dijon mustard and sweet relish and they were better that way but still. I'm eating tiny fish I want to be able to taste the fish not the smoke flavoring you've pumped the jar full of.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The Wild Planet mackerel I got a few days ago is absolutely delicious... in fact I like it a lot better than the 'dines. Today I picked up some Wild Planet sardines in marinara sauce; they were ok after I rinsed off the watery and not too flavorful sauce. The little bit that had absorbed into the fishies was alright but it isn't something I'll buy again.

In the checkout line I noticed the little 80+ year old woman behind me had some sardines so I struck up a conversation with her. She talked about how good they are for you and that she has been eating them for as long as she can remember.

:coolfish: Sardines: truly a multi-generational and universal delight :coolfish:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I had the wild planet mackerel once and I thought it was really good.

Today I'm smoking my poblano and jalapeño harvest to make spice powders with. Also threw some chops on. Haven't smoked them before but we'll see how they come out. Currently 12 degrees under medium. Starting to get impatient.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

cenotaph posted:

I had the wild planet mackerel once and I thought it was really good.

Today I'm smoking my poblano and jalapeņo harvest to make spice powders with. Also threw some chops on. Haven't smoked them before but we'll see how they come out. Currently 12 degrees under medium. Starting to get impatient.

My peppers aren't quite ready to harvest, but Whole Foods had Pueblos on sale for .99/lb so I roasted a bunch today, not gonna lie though, I had a hard time not just eating them fresh off the grill, so goddamn good.

Also learned I like sardine sandwiches better than tuna sandwiches, so thanks guy who recommended mixing them with mustard. Used the Trader Joe's brand dines, pretty firm but a little too big for cracker eating IMO, but they were perfect for bread!

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Fo3 posted:

I wanna make that. When looking up sardine recipes the greatest results were from Sicily, Portugal and the Philippines. You'd think there would be some recipes from the baltic sea area, but they just eat them on bread or with potato. You'd think there would be more recipes from the med too...

Top 5 fave meals. Cheap easy and delicious.

Roki B posted:

Man ask for more than perfect fish on bread is greedy man. Shame.

Only Sardine God can judge me.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Inkfish posted:

Top 5 fave meals. Cheap easy and delicious.
Do you really follow the recipe and use that much stock, as well as fresh spinach and serve with a bowl of rice?
Also I'm tempted to use less stock if serving with rice as I don't see the point of a lot of soup/stock when the rice can't absorb it well. Maybe I would use that much stock only if serving with bread. It's just my instincts, but tell me if you follow that recipe verbatim and it's good.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 5, 2017

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Fo3 posted:

Do you really follow the recipe and use that much stock, as well as fresh spinach and serve with a bowl of rice?
Also I'm tempted to use less stock if serving with rice as I don't see the point of a lot of soup/stock when the rice can't absorb it well. Maybe I would use that much stock only if serving with bread. It's just my instincts, but tell me if you follow that recipe verbatim and it's good.

Yeah. The fresh spinach really makes it. Just plop a handful in just before serving. Rice is a good side dish but it's also really good with fresh crusty bread at the bottom of the bowl a la Italian fish soups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am reading this as I am about to head to bed and now I am hungry for sardines at 2 in the morning thanks a lot.