Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Defenestration posted:

I'm holding a tie dye party. It's been a long time since the heady days of girl scout camp. What are the best tie dye practices? Wash shirts first or no? Soda ash to set? Liquid or powder dye? How long to soak?

God, I could write a book on this but I'm dog tired right now and about to crash. Assuming cotton T-shirts, you want what's known as "fiber reactive" dye (Procion is a major and very good brand), in powder form (which you mix with water (unless you're advanced and trying crazy experiments)). Best value, and best color. Soda ash is very cheap and well worth it, also instead of ordinary detergent there's something called Synthrapol, which will wash the excess dye out well, without dislodging much that bonded to the fibers, during the laundering stage. Lots of pretty good info here: https://www.dharmatrading.com/techniques/tie-dye.html

When is your party? If it's far enough off you can order your supplies from that place; they have everything and are very reasonable. At least, they were back in 2005 when I last ordered.

If I were only allowed to give one pro-tip it would be this: Forget rubber bands, and dear god please don't just randomly scrunch up the fabric. Buy heavy duty white cotton twine (it's string, really, but it's usually called twine when it's heavy gauge), like the kind you'd be hard pressed to break with your bare hands. Fold the fabric into nicely creased pleated patterns and whatnot, and wrap them up STUPID TIGHT. If the creases of your fingers aren't raw when you're done you didn't do it tight enough. Then, make sure you saturate the hell out of the wraps. Say, soak it and squeeze it and wring it out in one color, then give it a good long dip on two more (compatible) colors, one on each side. (Ideally, a "side" is where a bunch of the folded edges are all exposed.) Or even two colors per side depending. It's usually best go from lighter to darker colors. (Like if you start with yellow or light green you have a lot of options for the next colors. But start with navy blue... well what can you dip it in next that's really going to show?) Then wring it out again (but not super hard). Allow at least two hours before cutting them open. This will give you sharp, detailed, explosive patterns, and will put mass-produced store-bought bullshit to shame.

Well ok that was a few tips but they are all kind of interdependent. I'll check back tomorrowlater today.

Nth edit: oh god l almost forgot... do get BLACK dye. Give about half your shirts a good dunk it it, LAST color only, and wring them just lightly afterward. You'll love the effect, trust me.

P.S. all the dyed cotton twine is really nice to braid stuff with.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a glass table where there's a little elevated glass platform, like this:

I am completely baffled about how to remove the platform.

- Small glass platform is connected to the cylinder through a metal plate.
- Glass table is connected to the cylinder through a metal ring.
- I can rotate the cylinder with some force, but it doesn't screw out or anything.

The table's pretty shallow and what's happening is I have to put my monitor on the platform, which is insanely high and bad for my posture. Any ideas?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Hipster_Doofus posted:

God, I could write a book on this but I'm dog tired right now and about to crash. Assuming cotton T-shirts, you want what's known as "fiber reactive" dye (Procion is a major and very good brand), in powder form (which you mix with water (unless you're advanced and trying crazy experiments)). Best value, and best color. Soda ash is very cheap and well worth it, also instead of ordinary detergent there's something called Synthrapol, which will wash the excess dye out well, without dislodging much that bonded to the fibers, during the laundering stage. Lots of pretty good info here: https://www.dharmatrading.com/techniques/tie-dye.html

When is your party? If it's far enough off you can order your supplies from that place; they have everything and are very reasonable. At least, they were back in 2005 when I last ordered.

If I were only allowed to give one pro-tip it would be this: Forget rubber bands, and dear god please don't just randomly scrunch up the fabric. Buy heavy duty white cotton twine (it's string, really, but it's usually called twine when it's heavy gauge), like the kind you'd be hard pressed to break with your bare hands. Fold the fabric into nicely creased pleated patterns and whatnot, and wrap them up STUPID TIGHT. If the creases of your fingers aren't raw when you're done you didn't do it tight enough. Then, make sure you saturate the hell out of the wraps. Say, soak it and squeeze it and wring it out in one color, then give it a good long dip on two more (compatible) colors, one on each side. (Ideally, a "side" is where a bunch of the folded edges are all exposed.) Or even two colors per side depending. It's usually best go from lighter to darker colors. (Like if you start with yellow or light green you have a lot of options for the next colors. But start with navy blue... well what can you dip it in next that's really going to show?) Then wring it out again (but not super hard). Allow at least two hours before cutting them open. This will give you sharp, detailed, explosive patterns, and will put mass-produced store-bought bullshit to shame.

Well ok that was a few tips but they are all kind of interdependent. I'll check back tomorrowlater today.

Nth edit: oh god l almost forgot... do get BLACK dye. Give about half your shirts a good dunk it it, LAST color only, and wring them just lightly afterward. You'll love the effect, trust me.

P.S. all the dyed cotton twine is really nice to braid stuff with.
Thanks for a lot of great info! Party is in late October so I have time to order

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm 24 years old, have been a hardcore gamer on PC since I was about 14. Long hours at the PC, and back in my WoW days (2006?) I heard so much worried talk about carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). I've never had a single issue with my wrists. So clearly long hours sat at the PC isn't enough to cause CTS. My question is: what does cause it? I've always been wary of it, and have done my best to keep straight wrists, but I'll admit I don't always do this. It's left me scratching my head, cause surely I should be most at risk for developing CTS, no?

funnily enough, writing this out has made my brain imagine phantom wrist pains lol

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 2, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've met people who got it from piano, gymnastics, typing and cycling. I have pretty much constant wrist tendinitis from gymnastics and rock climbing and army stuff but not CTS. I think the key is like, specific positions and movements for hours and years and your positioning and habits just didn't lend themselves to developing it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

RobotDogPolice posted:

What's the best solution for playing PC games on a TV? I have a PC upstairs, but I'd like to play games on the TV in the living room occasionally. The computer is in a room directly above the living room, so could I just route an HDMI cable and a USB hub down there?

Buy a Steam Link for $30. As long as the host computer is wired it works just fine. I play over wifi all the time.

If you can wire both, better, but wireless works with a decent router.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Q8ee posted:

I'm 24 years old, have been a hardcore gamer on PC since I was about 14. Long hours at the PC, and back in my WoW days (2006?) I heard so much worried talk about carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). I've never had a single issue with my wrists. So clearly long hours sat at the PC isn't enough to cause CTS. My question is: what does cause it? I've always been wary of it, and have done my best to keep straight wrists, but I'll admit I don't always do this. It's left me scratching my head, cause surely I should be most at risk for developing CTS, no?

funnily enough, writing this out has made my brain imagine phantom wrist pains lol

Everyone is so different, and there's so much about our bodies that isn't understood. I'd be inclined to stick with recommended protocols despite not having any symptoms.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are there any resources for body-weight HIIT routines that won't make me feel like I'm going to vomit by the time I'm done?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Q8ee posted:

I happened to listen to this Freakonomics podcast episode not too long ago and it was very good:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/whatever-happened-to-the-carpal-tunnel-epidemic/

If I remember correctly, CTS affected and continues to affect people, mostly those doing repetitive manual labor. It also happened to affect a few journalists one time, and since journalists write the news, it became a big news story for a little while.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Defenestration posted:

Thanks for a lot of great info! Party is in late October so I have time to order

Oh, awesome.

You know, I've always wanted to start a thread, but I could never think of anything I have any particular expertise in that isn't already covered somewhere in these forums. Well, poo poo... I think I just thought of something! WHat do you think, thread? Would it fly? If so should I put it in DIY & Hobbies, or A/T?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Are Archer and Sealab 2021 made by the same guys?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Are Archer and Sealab 2021 made by the same guys?

I think a lot of the AS shows were.

IMDB posted:

Matt Thompson is a producer and writer, known for Archer (2009), Sealab 2021 (2000) and Frisky Dingo (2006)

e: obv Archer is not a Cartoon Network show but same people working on it

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm aware this could very easily stray outside of small questions territory but I really don't want to go to D&D because it will spill over into a debate that I'm not interested in.

In the simplest, most factual terms possible, can anyone tell me what Trump's administration has actually achieved since his inauguration? As an observer in the U.K., it seems like there's endless announcements and controversies but I'm aware of very few new legislative or executive achievements to have been brought through.

Considering that it's approaching one year since his election, should there be more? Is he succeeding or failing to enact a legislative programme?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ineptmule posted:

I'm aware this could very easily stray outside of small questions territory but I really don't want to go to D&D because it will spill over into a debate that I'm not interested in.

In the simplest, most factual terms possible, can anyone tell me what Trump's administration has actually achieved since his inauguration? As an observer in the U.K., it seems like there's endless announcements and controversies but I'm aware of very few new legislative or executive achievements to have been brought through.

Considering that it's approaching one year since his election, should there be more? Is he succeeding or failing to enact a legislative programme?

It's successfully rolled back regulations in several areas and made some significant changes to how things work: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/what-trump-is-actually-accomplishing/535458/

Since the article came out, he also pardoned a man convicted of violating the Constitution.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ineptmule posted:

It's not the "stupidly ask a question that isn't at all small" thread. What do you honestly expect by asking this other than a ten page derail?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
His question is perfectly reasonable for this thread. "Ignoring the constantly in the news controversies, what has the current PotuS done to the country/law"

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

504 posted:

His question is perfectly reasonable for this thread. "Ignoring the constantly in the news controversies, what has the current PotuS some to the country/law"

Exactly. It's a question that is hard to Google because of its controversy and I thought goons might be able to cut away some of the crap and give a factual answer. As much as anyone can at least.

Thanks for the Atlantic article, that's the kind of thing I was looking for. Still pretty partisan but I didn't do my Critical Thinking A-level for nothing :eng101:

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 3, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

504 posted:

His question is perfectly reasonable for this thread. "Ignoring the constantly in the news controversies, what has the current PotuS done to the country/law"

There is a site I have bookmarked probably on another drive that had to be evacuated but some people will know it. It just lists in an objective fashion what the hell the trump administration did today in chronological order.

Gets kinda depressing to read.

e: glancing over to chrome it's probably https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 3, 2017

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, ElectroBOOM on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/msadaghd

How much of his videos are fake? I mean, he does seem pretty competent when he's writing down circuit diagrams and building stuff, but then there are all the accidents and mishaps.

There's no question that his views (and money) depend on his "accidents", so he must arrange for them to happen.

Can anyone who knows more about electricity than me, tell me if he seems to "make" his accidents in a way that is still safe for him, or is it just continuous luck?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anyone like Captain Disillusion that does the cheesy science show gimmick that's funny and charming in that goofy mst3k low budget way he is? A knock off that updates a lot maybe?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ineptmule posted:

This site has a good, monthly list of everything Trump has done. Not much of it is new acheivements, most of it is tearing down old programs. Run by a d&d goon

http://trumpbone.zone

WTFhapoened today is also good but it's more fleshed out as a daily read instead.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

brylcreem posted:

So, ElectroBOOM on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/msadaghd

How much of his videos are fake? I mean, he does seem pretty competent when he's writing down circuit diagrams and building stuff, but then there are all the accidents and mishaps.

There's no question that his views (and money) depend on his "accidents", so he must arrange for them to happen.

Can anyone who knows more about electricity than me, tell me if he seems to "make" his accidents in a way that is still safe for him, or is it just continuous luck?

I'd probably say a lot of his accidents are arranged, especially since he touches things you''d just... not touch unless you want to zap yourself. I think he often finds bad electrolytic capacitors (they explode but aren't super dangerous) and wires things backwards on purpose occasionally to have something catch fire. I think he had a couple videos where he went to far and almost really fried himself and he's dialed it down a bit (the jacob's ladder episode?) but for the most part you could avoid just about everything.

I used to have classmates in my circuits classes in university set up their breadboards to blow up capacitors and its very easy, smells like hot acetone and only really pisses off the lab techs who have to go and order a bunch of caps now.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What's the best adblocker for Safari right now?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Geez guys, I don't even know what an electroboom is but even from the vague description given here it's pretty obviously a set up.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

I'd probably say a lot of his accidents are arranged, especially since he touches things you''d just... not touch unless you want to zap yourself. I think he often finds bad electrolytic capacitors (they explode but aren't super dangerous) and wires things backwards on purpose occasionally to have something catch fire. I think he had a couple videos where he went to far and almost really fried himself and he's dialed it down a bit (the jacob's ladder episode?) but for the most part you could avoid just about everything.

I used to have classmates in my circuits classes in university set up their breadboards to blow up capacitors and its very easy, smells like hot acetone and only really pisses off the lab techs who have to go and order a bunch of caps now.
Folks in the OSHA thread have it figured out that he's actually a pretty smart electrician/electrical engineer and works out the "mistakes" ahead of time. Not sure if they are correct, but they are pretty scrutinous industry folks a lot of the time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

What's the best adblocker for Safari right now?

Safari on MacOS? uBlock Origin
https://github.com/el1t/uBlock-Safari/releases

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ineptmule posted:

The most significant thing he's done is nominating Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. He's 50 so he's likely to be on the court for 25-30 years.

fishmech posted:

Yes, but beware of the fact that some keyboards and mice can't tolerate very long distance USB runs well. So the first time you try to get this setup, one or both might not work correctly and you may need to buy others or buy a higher quality USB hub and extension cable.
This is a good powered extender https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-32-Feet-Female-Extension-Repeater/dp/B004HJDUW0
If you need more than 32 feet, this one is more expensive but works fine https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hi-Speed-Extension-U026-016/dp/B0002D6QJO

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dumb question: is there a residential solar megathread somewhere? Need someone to tell me why SolarCity is a scam that will ruin my house.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Dumb question: is there a residential solar megathread somewhere? Need someone to tell me why SolarCity is a scam that will ruin my house.

I mean, they operate out of the Home Depot and use high pressure sales tactics, what about that gives any confidence? They could literally be the best thing in the world, but bugging me about rewiring my house for solar energy when I'm just trying to buy a loving plumbing fitting is not going to ever make me want to be with you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

There used to be a thread, but it got archived.

Solar City is legit, but when I was pulling quotes for my solar system they ended up being the second highest priced.

What questions do you have?

bongwizzard posted:

I mean, they operate out of the Home Depot and use high pressure sales tactics, what about that gives any confidence? They could literally be the best thing in the world, but bugging me about rewiring my house for solar energy when I'm just trying to buy a loving plumbing fitting is not going to ever make me want to be with you.

That's like the entirety of the home remodeling business my man.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Is there a site for menswear that features:

1) Decent clothes
2) Shipping to Canada
3) A kickass return policy to deal with my strangely-shaped body?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

That's like the entirety of the home remodeling business my man.

Hassling me in the plumbing aisle is standard? So far it's just been the Solar City guys, like every time I go to the HD by my work. It is wildly off-putting

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

FilthyImp posted:

I had a good experience with Solar City at my sister's house. Initial visit by a sales rep who laid out the options and discussed estimated usage, followed by a separate visit by a tech who checked the roof, house orientation and best location for the panels. The tech used an awl to punch holes in the roof to determine joist locations and sealed them after.

My sister's place is small and a 4kWh system was deemed sufficient. The price was $6,850 after tax credits. They have a 25 year warranty and if anything goes wrong with any of the equipment they'll fix/replace it for free, and the warranty is transferable if the house is sold. A neighbor two doors down got an 8kWh system for under $12k after tax credits.

Unfortunately the roof framing is not up to code and the tech couldn't approve the installation without beefing up the framing, so things were put on hold.

We got other estimates and Solar City's was the cheapest by a pretty wide margin. Their warranty was also much better than the others. One concern I have is what that warranty is worth given that Solar City seems to be losing a ton of money each month and who knows how long they'll be around.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My bedroom is in a basement like a proper goonlord, and crickets keep getting in the window wells and driving me nuts. I can't sleep, I can't think. Sometimes I literally lose hours of sleep at night because of their loving chirping. How do I scorch them from the earth and make sure they never show up again? What kind of poison would work fast and last if I put it down there? Should I put a mesh over the wells? Any ideas are welcome these things are literally affecting my sanity at this point.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Borax maybe? I think it kills anything with an exoskeleton.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

why am I so poo poo when it comes to drinking alcohol? I drank 7-8 shots of gin last night, starting from 5:30pm and finishing around 11pm. I didn't even get shitfaced, just comfortably tipsy. I then head to bed around 1am and everything goes to hell. I start puking my guts out, feel generally poo poo and am left an anxious wreck. it's gotten to the point where I just don't want to drink anymore, cause the followup is always awful and never worth whatever amount of fun I had the night before.

my friends will be messaging me the morning after asking if I wanna tag along for a full english breakfast to settle my stomach, and I'm left scratching my head wondering how on earth they can manage getting out of bed, let alone eating food. I'll be stuck in bed for most of the day, and then spend the rest of the day eating tiny bits of food.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do i clean a pillow?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Q8ee posted:

why am I so poo poo when it comes to drinking alcohol? I drank 7-8 shots of gin last night, starting from 5:30pm and finishing around 11pm. I didn't even get shitfaced, just comfortably tipsy. I then head to bed around 1am and everything goes to hell. I start puking my guts out, feel generally poo poo and am left an anxious wreck. it's gotten to the point where I just don't want to drink anymore, cause the followup is always awful and never worth whatever amount of fun I had the night before.

my friends will be messaging me the morning after asking if I wanna tag along for a full english breakfast to settle my stomach, and I'm left scratching my head wondering how on earth they can manage getting out of bed, let alone eating food. I'll be stuck in bed for most of the day, and then spend the rest of the day eating tiny bits of food.

Gin is a pretty ballsy spirit to shot and I'm not surprised it wrecked you. In the other drinking episodes that you allude to, what were you consuming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Baron Porkface posted:

How do i clean a pillow?

Stick it in a washing machine?

Just make sure you thoroughly dry it.