Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What is with all the complaints about inking the spawn point. Do you expect all the players to take their time and cover every inch of the spawn point at the start of the match? gently caress that.

I find it much more effective to rush the other team, get them on the offensive and stop covering their side of the stage. I can cover the spawn in different passes after I die when taking a different path out to the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Astro7x posted:

What is with all the complaints about inking the spawn point. Do you expect all the players to take their time and cover every inch of the spawn point at the start of the match? gently caress that.

I find it much more effective to rush the other team, get them on the offensive and stop covering their side of the stage. I can cover the spawn in different passes after I die when taking a different path out to the middle

When I am running a Splat Roller I take the time to cover the entire spawn area, especially any places the enemy cannot traverse to.

My theory is that you don't win by inking the most territory, you win by having the most inked territory at the end of the match. Therefore, thoroughly inking territory the enemy cannot reach and which cannot be taken away from you is especially important because you're guaranteed to have it at the end of the match.

This does delay me in getting to the front by ~30-45 seconds. Does that harm my team more than I am helping? idk, hard to know with certainty.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Inking clean ground gives you more points than inking enemy color, so I do a lot at the spawn at the start to get a quick special

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am God with the Splattershot.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

When I am running a Splat Roller I take the time to cover the entire spawn area, especially any places the enemy cannot traverse to.

My theory is that you don't win by inking the most territory, you win by having the most inked territory at the end of the match. Therefore, thoroughly inking territory the enemy cannot reach and which cannot be taken away from you is especially important because you're guaranteed to have it at the end of the match.

This does delay me in getting to the front by ~30-45 seconds. Does that harm my team more than I am helping? idk, hard to know with certainty.

If 4 of their team rush center and only 2-3 of yours do, those 2-3 will die. Then the enemy gets center, and starts pushing in towards your base. Eventually the other 1-2 members of your team run into them, and probably die from being outnumbered. Now the enemy controls 2/3 or more of the map, and your team is constantly split up from staggered spawn timers. It's a very advantageous position for the enemy team.

Rushing center is super important, even in turf war. Yes, it's important to cover the small bits and pieces around your base, but you can do that later in the match. Those areas aren't likely to ever be controlled by the enemy, so you never need to worry about control of those areas being contested. If you save them for later, then it also means that you can save the special meter you earn from inking them for later, giving you more specials throughout a match.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dr. Fetus posted:

4 Aerosprays can't do poo poo. Even in Turf Wars, they're one of the worst weapons in the game. Their range is terrible, and their time to kill is greater than most other weapons. They should all be dead before they can ink anything. The fact that they can cover ink well is negated by the fact that it's really easy to keep them down since there are barely any matchups they can win in direct firefights. If they win the match, that means you played badly enough for them to have complete control of the map.

It also only takes a single mistake on anyone's part and one of them gets out and inks 2/3ds of the map in about 20 seconds. Especially if you're on the cancer that is moray towers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's considered a "good" power score?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Escobarbarian posted:

What's considered a "good" power score?

2300+.

Highest last Splatfest was over 2500. 2100+ is about average.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Aw man, I'm only like 1900. I wanted to get on the board this time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I peaked at 2100 after not losing a single placement match and then have gone like 2-15 since :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm around 1950 but I've not really been playing that consistently

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dr. Fetus posted:

2100+ is about average.

Haha, no. About average among players who are fairly good at the game but don't play on competitive teams, maybe.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Dr. Fetus posted:

2300+.

Highest last Splatfest was over 2500. 2100+ is about average.

That's not exactly true. If you win your first 7 games, the game will set your initial power level around 2100. So you're playing against people who usually know how to play.

Of course it might also take in account your current rank level like in the previous game, but people above 2000 are good in a common sense.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I have an embarrassing amount of playtime in splatoon 2 but I haven't been able to break 1800 power in any splatfest

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Made it to King status with a 61% win percentage for Flight. Only played 3 Flight Vs Flight matches, so hope we had the popular vote in the bag.

Dr. Fetus posted:

4 Aerosprays can't do poo poo. Even in Turf Wars, they're one of the worst weapons in the game. Their range is terrible, and their time to kill is greater than most other weapons. They should all be dead before they can ink anything. The fact that they can cover ink well is negated by the fact that it's really easy to keep them down since there are barely any matchups they can win in direct firefights. If they win the match, that means you played badly enough for them to have complete control of the map.

You can ink so much Turf with the Aerosprayer MG so quickly. It doesn't matter if I keep dying. I can die 10 times in the match and still win with 1600p inked before the win bonus

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dr. Fetus posted:

2100+ is about average.

People really overestimate what "average" is. I would probably say that 1500-1800 is around average, up to around 2100 is good, and anything above is probably great. As pointed out earlier, winning all 7 placement matches will get you to 2100, but that means that 7 other team's worth of players may have lost theirs. Winning 7 matches in a row certainly isn't "average". I'd say average is winning like 3-4 of the placement matches, and seeing where that dumps you.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Got 50 matches in so I think I'm done, wound up at 35-15. At least 5 or 6 of those losses were from 3-4 matchups when one of our guys vanished into the ether, so I feel like I did pretty good on this one.

Zoran posted:

Haha, no. About average among players who are fairly good at the game but don't play on competitive teams, maybe.

Oh look at professor videogames over here polishing his monocle

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Went 20-11 for Team Invisibility on my way to King. Had a seven and a five game win streak at points. Not perfect but significantly better than I did for Team Ketchup. I also unlocked the gold aerospray so I might play with that later, too.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zoran posted:

I'm sure that falls under fairly average, as pro players would be the good players.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Does it really count as average when we have people like me and literal children weighing down the numbers?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am treating this thread like the Overwatch thread, blast-skimming through to the fanart and screenshots and maybe reading a few posts along the way.

Internet Kraken posted:

Marina censorship

I was about to post this, they definitely seem to have rewritten some of the banter between the two

Lakbay posted:

I have an embarrassing amount of playtime in splatoon 2 but I haven't been able to break 1800 power in any splatfest

:same: I got to Flight Champion and 99 more points is just a bit too much for me right now, and my max power was 1550...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Went through to the app to figure out my Splatfest stats: 39 matches, 21 Wins - 18 Losses (+3 net to Flight)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Feeling good about Flight. Let's bring it home for Pearl!!!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Shitbirds go home, the victory podium is going to appear empty tonight!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gotta admit I kind of like Pearl now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Gotta admit I kind of like Pearl now

I've decided she's epic.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

She's better than Marina.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Welp... It's official!

The unwashed masses will join the squid with the biggest tits team every time!

We deserved to die out in splat-verse.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm 21-5 and power 2172. If you think that's about the average you are nuts.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
of course I go on a losing streak when I'm just 2-3 wins away from the highest rank :(

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Welp... It's official!

What makes you say that? Splatfest results won't be announced for several hours. And from what I'm hearing, the teams are a bit more even this time around (and it's tipped slightly in flights favor if personal experiences and anecdotes mean anything.)

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Also I'm getting sick and tired of "communication errors"

When I have to pay for nintendo online I hope it's not this bad.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

LethalGeek posted:

I'm 21-5 and power 2172. If you think that's about the average you are nuts.

The average is absolutely nowhere near 2000, I'm at 2130 and have yet to see a team above 1900.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm getting really sick of killing off three members of the enemy team and inking the entire middle only to find my entire team has gone full ham and over extended to be at th enemy spawn and were all wiped so they push the middle and we end up never able to get it back

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Just saw an average of 2200 vs my 2010 team.

I was basically playing 1 on 4. The game knew it was so lopsided I lost ONE power rank point

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I went from nine wins and four losses yesterday to getting owned this morning.

I feel like there is a much greater need to carry the rest of my team today.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got to King after 38 matches, of which my team won 20. The last 10 or so matches were absurdly stressful, the kind of match where everyone you run into outclasses you and there's ALWAYS someone waiting for you wherever you go on the map and even when you actually get the drop on an Aerosprayer or something OH NO LOOK they had another teammate super close by and they double team you. But hey, made it in the end.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Welp... It's official!

"hmmm. why do people like one character more than the other? must be the titties"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kaubocks posted:

"hmmm. why do people like one character more than the other? must be the titties"

I mean when it comes to video game characters that isn't a bad assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love Marina because she's stylish and cute. Neither of these traits are derived from her boobies.