Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Brave everything is really fun but it seems like the design process was basically "lets take this moveset and make it way loving cooler but only let you use it sometimes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really like how it offers another playstyle, kinda like adept. While Adept lets you focus on more reactive dodging instead of positional, Brave is more like "go ham, but don't gently caress up". I haven't tried that many weapons yet but it feels like it's going for a "high risk, high reward" type style, like how Brave LS is all about staying right in the monster's face at all times (gently caress dodging and positioning, parry that poo poo!) and Bow is more focused on being stationary for maximum damage (because who needs running and gunning anyways)

It's not perfect though, I think the "build brave gauge" phase is really clumsy with some weapons (being essentially "spam y->x until brave") and it could've been done more fluidly. Then again, I also think some weapons perhaps should be more limited when not in Brave to give a bigger incentive to get there ASAP. Game design is hard ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 1, 2017

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

yeesh, I'm having a hard time figuring out what armor set to be going for in Generations. It's all so underwhelming compared to 4U! at least Seltas was a neat diversion until the Gore mix!

cripes, I'm about to hit 6* village quests still wearing the standard Jaggi mix for Attack Up :shepface:

(additional unrelated complaint about the ten thousand wide gunlances available)

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Weeping Wound posted:

yeesh, I'm having a hard time figuring out what armor set to be going for in Generations. It's all so underwhelming compared to 4U! at least Seltas was a neat diversion until the Gore mix!

cripes, I'm about to hit 6* village quests still wearing the standard Jaggi mix for Attack Up :shepface:

(additional unrelated complaint about the ten thousand wide gunlances available)

Well it's the same with pretty much all of these games. Skills on low rank armors are never that good, so the best armor is the one that gives you attack up. And that will carry you throughout all of the village quests.

That's why it's better to forget about what's most effective and just go for what looks the coolest.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yeah, my armor progression in Gen went pretty much like this: BuJaBuJaBu -> High Rank BuJaBuJaBu -> Hellblade :v:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I think for high rank I at least went with a rathalos mix to vary it up, but pretty much.

For me going for what looks coolest is for group hunts where it really doesn't matter whereas hunting solo I pretty much just want to kill the thing quickly so early on that's attack up sets. Definitely less variety for them in Gen even though it has more sets in general than other games.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Most MH games have one set that was good enough for most of Low/High Rank, with experimenting with armor sets being reserved for endgame. Gen is no different.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
just started playing MH4U and I really wish that items that are tied to breaking a part of a monster's body always dropped when you did that, instead of having a 30% chance to dick you over and make you do it again

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

just started playing MH4U and I really wish that items that are tied to breaking a part of a monster's body always dropped when you did that, instead of having a 30% chance to dick you over and make you do it again

you want this, but the tradeoff is going to be capcpom making it way harder to break monster parts

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

dragon enthusiast posted:

you want this, but the tradeoff is going to be capcpom making it way harder to break monster parts

They could make them ten times harder to break and it'd still be trivial now that we have HBG with mouselook.

Alternatively, doing this would remove plates and friends from tail carves, which is a travesty.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

That time I had to kill Lagi 8 times in a row just to get one horn. 40% chance on a break my rear end.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Similarly, I don't think I've ever broken Mitsuzune's claws.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I managed to break it once but iirc I had to wear some skill to up break damage without causing mitzusune to die first

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Similarly, I don't think I've ever broken Mitsuzune's claws.

The only thing that really hurts them is pure lightning damage. The only source for almost pure lightning damage are the Bowguns, LBG in particular.

In other news, Dauntless is entering it's closed beta in about 15 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFzVHaXRZLc

You can get in with a 40 dollar founders pack at this point, which I have done. I'll report back with my impressions later.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

What, already? That wasn't much of an "alpha" :thunk:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Man they're really going to try and release that game asap before World comes out early 2018. Can't blame them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
All this talk about armor skills being hard to get/useless is why I'm excited if the talk of MHWorld's new "point-less" armor skill system is true.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Hear that everybody? Armor is MHW is pointless! :supaburn:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The only armor skill anybody needs is Fashion+2.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

World better have dumb poo poo like this or I'll be sad.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Rainuwastaken posted:

The only armor skill anybody needs is Fashion+2.

Bring back Dive Dist

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
They put it in constitution for whatever reason.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Honey skill is the best in the game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BMan posted:

What, already? That wasn't much of an "alpha" :thunk:

The game has been in alpha for a while now, this was just the NDA-less alpha. I think the first alpha wave was back in like, February.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I would unironically be okay with this because that would mean armor is only for appearance, which it should be :c00lbutt:

Marogareh posted:

World better have dumb poo poo like this or I'll be sad.

:yeah:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Tokyo Game Show, at the end of this month, is gonna reveal the new flagship monster for MHW!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got to Nargacuga and had to switch back to Adept :negative:

I hadn't noticed it before (since all the previous monsters were very easy) but at least for Brave LS the gauge (and spirit gauge) drain really quickly. Since you need both those gauges up to parry, if you screw up just a little bit it can mean that you're stuck with no parry and a limited moveset and it's just like... Welp. :v:

With Narga's evasiveness I found it really hard to apply enough pressure to keep my gauges up so I just got owned once they ran out. I've also noticed that some attacks are ridiculously hard to parry because their hitbox will hit "behind" your guard point even though you're parrying head on (especially tail attacks and rolls) so I guess my point is... Brave isn't nearly as overpowered as people say, because you have to be actually good to use it :v:

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
That sure is interesting to hear given that I just farmed narga for an hour with brave hammer to make a longsword and try that out :v:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Vib Rib posted:

All this talk about armor skills being hard to get/useless is why I'm excited if the talk of MHWorld's new "point-less" armor skill system is true.

What's this talk and where can I read about it?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Random thoughts on Dauntless since I saw a few others mention it in the thread:

tl;dr: If you have a real game to play do that instead until this one either dies or fleshes out a bit and figures out what it wants to be.

The combat was okay, but not as fun as MH. Weapon reaches are all really short, even for the big ones, and the focus on predetermined combos moves the focus a little or maybe hides the standard "watch the monster and learn their tells" and puts it slightly more towards executing particular combos, some of which are pretty garbage (with little feedback on which actually are more damaging).

Armor seems to get new skills as it's leveled up, but there wasn't an indication of what it eventually gains when you make it, so you go into it just hoping that it'll eventually be better than what you've got now. You can't even see the special abilities of the lanterns (a special piece of armor that generally gives you some kind of active buff, like finding the monster or temporary aoe health regeneration) before you craft them.

You get a letter grade at the end of each hunt, but there's no real indication of what caused it to be better or worse, and each player gets their own grade in addition to the party grade. With MH subquests you have a clear side goal and it's very transparent about what you ended up getting because you completed it. Whereas the loot crates you get at the end of hunts in DL are slightly randomized and seemingly not immediately related to your performance.

E: I was intrigued by Dauntless but I mostly picked it up because a few primarily PC gaming friends that I play co-op games with weekly were interested. If we burn out on this and they're still interested in the genre I might try to direct them towards Toukiden 2 or wait for Worlds to come out.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 2, 2017

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

What's this talk and where can I read about it?

https://youtu.be/s3GdUhg56l0

It seems there's no more skill thresholds. Meaning you don't need 10 skill points to activate attack up. Every point will increase attack.

Also, there is no separate armors for blade and gunner weapons. If you're using a blade weapon then your physical defense is increased. Using a gunner weapon increases your elemental defense. How they handle skills like sharpness or load up is unknown at this point

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Goodness, I had forgotten how punishing Blangonga is when you first meet him in this game. 100-0 in a single combo, and I'm wearing proper (blade) armor to boot. :eyepop: Smash, stun, smash, roar, smash, jump, knockdown, smash, murder.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Also, there is no separate armors for blade and gunner weapons.
At first this sounds like a great change, I always thought the gunner/blade armor thing was dumb and annoying.. But then it begs the question; does that mean MHW will only have half the armor variety? :ohdear: The gunner armor often looks way different (and sometimes way cooler) so it would be a shame to just discard all those cool designs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

Goodness, I had forgotten how punishing Blangonga is when you first meet him in this game. 100-0 in a single combo, and I'm wearing proper (blade) armor to boot. :eyepop: Smash, stun, smash, roar, smash, jump, knockdown, smash, murder.

At first this sounds like a great change, I always thought the gunner/blade armor thing was dumb and annoying.. But then it begs the question; does that mean MHW will only have half the armor variety? :ohdear: The gunner armor often looks way different (and sometimes way cooler) so it would be a shame to just discard all those cool designs.

They can probably have it where your armor changes depending if you have a gun or a blade.

Fingers crossed.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

https://youtu.be/s3GdUhg56l0

It seems there's no more skill thresholds. Meaning you don't need 10 skill points to activate attack up. Every point will increase attack.

Also, there is no separate armors for blade and gunner weapons. If you're using a blade weapon then your physical defense is increased. Using a gunner weapon increases your elemental defense. How they handle skills like sharpness or load up is unknown at this point

Sounds like Mass Effect 1 where a skill would decrease your reload by .08 seconds and you had to stack a bunch to matter but it was a gradient.

If done well it could be great for fashionSoulshunter

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

should i get monhun generations? i got mh4u, and i am thinking of replaying it, but monster hunber generations is on sale...

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Condiv posted:

should i get monhun generations? i got mh4u, and i am thinking of replaying it, but monster hunber generations is on sale...

Short answer: Yes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Only skip Gen if you're really into G rank because as a first iteration it lacks it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I'm still surprised that I managed to slay Nargacuga the first time I met it. I guess that thing really doesn't like giant shields!

doing the same thing with a hammer is proving a lot more difficult, on the other hand

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I hope the streamlined armor skill system still gives you moments where you sit there for hours agonizing over fashion/jewel/talisman combinations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Condiv posted:

Opposite question to thread: I only played a borrowed copy of 4u until the point where you officially kill Gore Magala, but I own Gen and I've played a lot of it. 4u is on sale, should I get it? (Gen is not the only one I've played, I played hundreds of hours of 3u so I'm not going to be shocked by the lack of styles and arts or whatever)

• Locked thread