Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Latest Room 104 is a weird interpretive dance story and I like it a bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there a motion interpolation reference I can see or is it a "if you don't have it there's no way to show it" thing? Everyone complains like it's a layer of vaseline on the monitor or something, and I've never noticed that in anything I've watched. I donno if I just don't notice or my TV didn't come with it (there's no setting option for it, that's for sure).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You need a 120Hz+ TV to have it as an option.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aphrodite posted:

You need a 120Hz+ TV to have it as an option.

No, you don't. 60hz TVs can have motion interpolation too.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

60hz tvs with interpolation are usually marketed as 120 effective hz, and actual 120hz tvs as 240. poo poo is confusing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bruceski posted:

Is there a motion interpolation reference I can see or is it a "if you don't have it there's no way to show it" thing? Everyone complains like it's a layer of vaseline on the monitor or something, and I've never noticed that in anything I've watched. I donno if I just don't notice or my TV didn't come with it (there's no setting option for it, that's for sure).

It's generally known as 'soap opera effect' because it takes the 24fps motion of film (which is quite 'dream like' and not perfectly smooth especially in panning) and makes it look like a $200m movie was shot on video and suddenly looks like midday programming. It's that uncanny valley of being smooth but not in a natural way.

Some people are prone to it's effects, some aren't. If it's all you know you'll just get used to it and not question it (and then 'correct' settings look weird and wrong), or just know *something* isn't right but not sure what.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bruceski posted:

This is weird but it tends to show up on talk shows since they switched to flat screen monitors to show guests' clips, or at least it did a few years ago. Also you could just go to your local Walmart/other superstore and check out the display TVs in all their default setting glory.

At any rate you don't need your own 120+Hz HDTV to notice the effect, I've seen it through a drat CRT over the antenna.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bull3964 posted:

No, you don't. 60hz TVs can have motion interpolation too.

Okay true but that only works on sub 60fps sources, which are what? 24fps Bluray?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's this new Law & Order spin-off coming out and it's going to be a true crime anthology.

Surely they can just go back to 25 year old L&O scripts and run a Ctrl+F and replace to change the names back to the real life equivalents. :v:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

MiddleOne posted:

Why was this made

It's based on a true story posted on the Japanese official forums for FFXIV. The director and producer of the game liked the story so much that he asked for the higher ups at Square-Enix to make some shorts based on the story. Those shorts turned out to be wildly popular in Japan and around the world once people fansubbed them, so that's why it's a full-fledged show now.

tl;dr - real life story of a student and his salaryman dad went viral in Japan and became the basis for a real show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aphrodite posted:

Okay true but that only works on sub 60fps sources, which are what? 24fps Bluray?

Nearly everything scripted is 24fps. Even if it's on 60hz transport, motion interpolation can make 24fps unnaturally smooth on a 60hz TV.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man, the people behind Riverdale would make the coolest Scooby Doo show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's generally known as 'soap opera effect' because it takes the 24fps motion of film (which is quite 'dream like' and not perfectly smooth especially in panning) and makes it look like a $200m movie was shot on video and suddenly looks like midday programming. It's that uncanny valley of being smooth but not in a natural way.

Some people are prone to it's effects, some aren't. If it's all you know you'll just get used to it and not question it (and then 'correct' settings look weird and wrong), or just know *something* isn't right but not sure what.

I wasn't asking "what is it", I was asking "can I see an example of what it is online without buying a TV/monitor that specifically has it."

Turns out the answer is yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_dE6HPIAJM

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I get you, well if you want a better demonstration than just a YouTube clip then just walk into Best Buy and at least some of the sets will have it. I saw a display that made an LG OLED look like poo poo in one of their Magnolia showrooms, which is pretty impressive.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

feedmyleg posted:

I could dig this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Mystery Inc. already happened.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Mystery Inc. already happened.

Fair. But I want it live action, fascinatingly melodramatic, and aged up a few years.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Fair. But I want it live action, fascinatingly melodramatic, and aged up a few years.
The scene where Shaggy finds Scooby hanging from the ceiling because it finally got to him will be the biggest buzz moment of the year.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fans speculate wildly as to how he tied a noose with paws.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I remember at a previous job, there was a movie day for the staff because we’d hit some accomplishment. We went to a coworker’s house and watched Wedding Crashers with loving motion interpolation on. What should’ve been a nice treat and break from work made me die inside a little bit.

my inlaws refuse to turn this off on their fuckoff 70" TV and it makes me hate watching movies at their house

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of that.

Sexy Shaggy Is What America Wants

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

precision posted:

Sexy Shaggy Is What America Wants

You should watch twin peaks to see what shaggy has been up to

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

You should watch twin peaks to see what shaggy has been up to

Oh I have been, and episode 11 (I think?) was a master class in making the audience uncomfortable about a man's emotional state. Like drat.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fans speculate wildly as to how he tied a noose with paws.

Scrappy-Doo appears with his fully articulated digits and opposable thumbs curled into fists; "You got somethin' to say, Doobie Brother?"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

I could dig this.

Where do you stand on Scrappy Doo?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah, Busta Rhymes in this ep of Blindspot. His music, not him, like, acting.

Edit: RICH DOT COM!!!!!!!!!!

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 3, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

gently caress yeah, Busta Rhymes in this ep of Blindspot. His music, not him, like, acting.

Please help me out with something by finishing this sentence for me: "I would enjoy Blindspot if I also enjoyed..."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I have been desperate for a new show to watch. All summer, we enjoyed Game of Thrones, The Defenders, Wynonna Earp, and especially Twin Peaks together, but Peaks ends tonight (SO EXCITED AND ALSO SAD!), and the others are over. She has been binge-watching Parenthood by herself and finished it yesterday while I cooked dinner, and I've been watching Preacher and The Tick without her, and I'm almost through both.

We tried Colony on Netflix last night because we liked Sawyer on Lost and Sarah on Prison Break, but she didn't even make it five minutes into the pilot before she announced "BORED NOW!" So then we tried Nikita, and boom, that delivered. Watched two episodes, and we already love the pacing, the casting, the action, the twists, the strong female characters, everything. It helps that I've always been fond of Point of No Return and made her watch it last year. I think this will definitely be our next binge, and I'm glad there are four seasons available on Netflix. Does it stay good?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I have been desperate for a new show to watch. All summer, we enjoyed Game of Thrones, The Defenders, Wynonna Earp, and especially Twin Peaks together, but Peaks ends tonight (SO EXCITED AND ALSO SAD!), and the others are over. She has been binge-watching Parenthood by herself and finished it yesterday while I cooked dinner, and I've been watching Preacher and The Tick without her, and I'm almost through both.

We tried Colony on Netflix last night because we liked Sawyer on Lost and Sarah on Prison Break, but she didn't even make it five minutes into the pilot before she announced "BORED NOW!" So then we tried Nikita, and boom, that delivered. Watched two episodes, and we already love the pacing, the casting, the action, the twists, the strong female characters, everything. It helps that I've always been fond of Point of No Return and made her watch it last year. I think this will definitely be our next binge, and I'm glad there are four seasons available on Netflix. Does it stay good?

It does! It falters a bit in the first half of season 3 because theres a big shakeup at the end of season 2 and it feels like it takes them a bit to figure out what they want to do next. But it recovers and season 4 is basically a 6 episode movie to conclude it, it's cool.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Regy Rusty posted:

But it recovers and season 4 is basically a 6 episode movie to conclude it, it's cool.

Season four was strange to watch because it's a full 22 episode season compressed into five episodes, then the sixth episode feels like another season compressed into one episode!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

It does! It falters a bit in the first half of season 3 because theres a big shakeup at the end of season 2 and it feels like it takes them a bit to figure out what they want to do next. But it recovers and season 4 is basically a 6 episode movie to conclude it, it's cool.

Excellent! Thank you. It seems like it has pretty high production value for a CW show. And we watch iZombie and Riverdale, and I watch most of the DC shows by myself, but Nikita flew completely under my radar when it was on!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Please help me out with something by finishing this sentence for me: "I would enjoy Blindspot if I also enjoyed..."

Blindspot is like... Totally ridiculous. It's like their main priority is to have a shootout and and a martial arts fight in every eoisode, with a vehicle chase in a large number of them.

It's got a heavy dose of "what's really going on/who can we really trust".

It does that thing where every character acts like they are in highschool with regards to relationship drama, except they are all fbi/cia/nsa and they kill people all the time.

I'm not sure what to compare it to, but it's turned up to 11.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Blindspot is like... Totally ridiculous. It's like their main priority is to have a shootout and and a martial arts fight in every eoisode, with a vehicle chase in a large number of them.

It's got a heavy dose of "what's really going on/who can we really trust".

It does that thing where every character acts like they are in highschool with regards to relationship drama, except they are all fbi/cia/nsa and they kill people all the time.

I'm not sure what to compare it to, but it's turned up to 11.

Hmm, would this fill the Strike Back shaped hole in my life?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Possibly?

Like, the premise is that a woman with amnesia is found by the FBI. She is covered in prison-break style tattoos, which are actually complex clues leading to uncovering terrorist activity and corruption. That aspect of it is like Prison Break + Person of Interest. They have the these clues that they don't know what they mean and they have to figure out what it points to. There's the central mystery of who she is and where she came from. She has a Navy Seal tattoo, but this would make her the first woman navy seal, which there is no record of. She's a huge badass and helps the FBI while also being their prisoner.

Like, that's the premise. It gets crazier from there. Realistic is not something related to the show.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 3, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are the action sequences any good? That's the main thing with Strike Back I believe.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Are the action sequences any good? That's the main thing with Strike Back I believe.

Yeah, I think they're pretty good.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is this the thread for bitching about the AV Club? They seem to gently caress up their site like clockwork once every year or so, then take a year fixing it up into a usable form only to restart the whole process immediately.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The one change they made that really cheesed me off was last year or the year before when they chopped all of the content out of the "What's on Tonight?" feature. It used to be a little blurb about just about everything on that day and now it is like one paragraph about one show and then just a list of what they cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I signed up for HBO Now to watch GoT and it renewed right before the finale, so I still have it for a few weeks. Need recommendations for series to watch. So far I've seen:

- Oz
- The Sopranos
- Six Feet Under
- The Wire
- GoT
- Boardwalk Empire
- True Detective
- Westworld
- Empire Falls
- Vice
- Big Little Lies
- Tell Me You Love Me
- Sex And The City
- Girls
- In Treatment

Guess it's pretty obvious that I prefer dramas, and haven't touched a single comedy. Are those (Veep, Vice Principals, Silicon Valley, etc.) any good? Thought about True Blood but vampires :rolleyes: For what it's worth I liked them all in various degrees except the last two. Miniseries are fine.

• Locked thread