Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Got stuck twice now in LRZ because somehow sonic clipped through the ceiling or ground. Only way out is waiting for a timeout or restarting entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mindblast posted:

Got stuck twice now in LRZ because somehow sonic clipped through the ceiling or ground. Only way out is waiting for a timeout or restarting entirely.

You have to watch out for Doctor Robotnik's Deadly Speed Traps!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IjWNrRuO4Q

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, if you somehow manage to reach the Puyo Puyo boss at the end of Chemical Plant Act 1 in your Super form (most likely via Debug unless it's possible to get all 7 emeralds in Green Hill) does it change anything or do you automatically revert to normal for the boss fight?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, if you somehow manage to reach the Puyo Puyo boss at the end of Chemical Plant Act 1 in your Super form (most likely via Debug unless it's possible to get all 7 emeralds in Green Hill) does it change anything or do you automatically revert to normal for the boss fight?

You revert to normal (you can go back and pick zones after you beat the game)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Larryb posted:

You can indeed get 7 emeralds by the end of CPZ1 if you know where the big rings are and do it perfect and also probably glitch into Knuckles' GHZ1 but that's not necessary I think...

Anyway you revert to nonsuper.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

You can indeed get 7 emeralds by the end of CPZ1 if you know where the big rings are and do it perfect and also probably glitch into Knuckles' GHZ1 but that's not necessary I think...

That's what I figured (though to be fair that boss is easy enough as it is).

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Did they fix that glitch in PC? I try doing it but fall into the pit and die

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

You may know everything I'm going to do, but that's not going to help you, because I know everything YOU'RE going to do! STRAAAAAAAANGEEEE ISN'T IT?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Holy...

Like, I played a shitload of Mean Bean Machine, I don't think I'm bad at Puyo Puyo, but gently caress me that guy's on a whole different level. I went "What the gently caress are you doing" the whole way until he started the chain going.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Me thinks it was accidental

Maybe not, some puyo puyo pros are banging on about 5 colours and how it was some pro poo poo

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 3, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's the PuyoNexus guy and you can hear him complain about how it's only four colours and that you only need a three chain.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Lol yeah, just read the description. Consider me fooled

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Me thinks it was accidental

that is definitely not an accident

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

as someone who is pushing 30 and grew up with many failed attempts to finish Sonic 1 and 2 on my cousin's Genesis this is the best Sonic game imo

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

This is why Shadow is a villain in Forces.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i cant stop thinking about metal sonic's boss theme in this game

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
I just got to TMZ1's boss and I immediately wanted to lie down and die

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My reaction to that boss was "Oh gently caress not YOU". :argh:

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
"You motherFUCKER."

Fortunately, it isn't actually Red Eye!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

ArfJason posted:

i cant stop thinking about metal sonic's boss theme in this game

It's so loving good

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Party Boat posted:

It's so loving good

i like how stardust speedway bad future has become his theme song

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

I like how the blocks in the first act of Press Garden remind me of Castle of Illusion.

Yeah, it's weirdly specific but Press Garden super reminds me of Castle/World of Illusion. The little ink sprites are a super World of Illusion-y enemy too.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I really don't get why people were complaining about the OOZ2 boss. I think I killed him in two cycles. :shrug:

Beat the game last night, bashed my head against blue spheres until I got all the medals. Just need to perfect a few and then I'm done forever. Looking forward to doing a Knuckles run.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

I really don't get why people were complaining about the OOZ2 boss. I think I killed him in two cycles. :shrug:

Beat the game last night, bashed my head against blue spheres until I got all the medals. Just need to perfect a few and then I'm done forever. Looking forward to doing a Knuckles run.

he has an exclusive act and a kick rear end song to go with it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still playing through this game for the first time and I was just curious, aside from his super form are there any significant differences when doing a Tails only run in this game or is his campaign pretty much identical to Sonic's?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

ArfJason posted:

he has an exclusive act and a kick rear end song to go with it

And another exclusive boss on top of that and there's something there that owns

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i thought both giant caterkiller bosses were lame, which is ridiculous considering mania has the best bosses in sonic history, with the shinobi boss being literally the best of the series

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I can't be the only person, on that note, who was pissed about MSZ act 1 being yet another sky chase and then shut up by realizing there's another version of act 1 just to cut off my whining. These devs man, these are good devs.

Bloody Pom posted:

You can fall through the oil past the platforms and then get crushed under the platforms, which if you didn't encounter, is probably why you didn't find the fight worth complaining about. Otherwise he's a bit tricky, I don't know, I think it took me five or so attempts outside of dying to the platform bugginess. Easily the boss that took me the most attempts.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also you know what i was wondering all throughout oil ocean? if they kept that crazy glitch where sonic enters a state where he can run faster than the camera and jump twice as fast. And then you can stack that with super sonic and practically break the game in half
i absolutely didnt put it past them to make a reference to that

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

Record yourself or something, because that boss gives me a hell of a time. I either spend like eight cycles clearing the shooty things before trying to work on the boss, or I go past the shooters straight for the boss, get hit, and am now out of rings for the next cycle where I die. Or 25% of the time one of the platforms randomly kills me while sinking with me on it. I feel like I'm missing a strat here.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Larryb posted:

Still playing through this game for the first time and I was just curious, aside from his super form are there any significant differences when doing a Tails only run in this game or is his campaign pretty much identical to Sonic's?

Not really, Tails' campaign is pretty much the same as Sonic except he can explore more easily because of flying. It's not like Knuckles where he gets a few unique acts/cutscenes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked Knuckles' Caterkiller boss, it was one of the most memorable bosses in the 8-bit games, so it's great to see those titles getting some love. I would have liked to have seen them ape the Chaos design more rather than the regular caterkiller though.

Spiderdrake posted:

You can fall through the oil past the platforms and then get crushed under the platforms, which if you didn't encounter, is probably why you didn't find the fight worth complaining about.

I've seen a couple of videos of this and, bug or not, I'm not seeing how this is anyone's fault but the player (after the first time, anyway) for pushing into the platforms while they're under them when all common sense says to stay closer to the centre, given that after the first round of attacks you should know that more attacks are coming from the oil that you'll need to get away from.

Edit: The falling platform glitch where you die despite being on top is horseshit though.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Im just glad i havent seen a single Sonic 2 bonus stage tbh

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I did not have any difficulty with the Octopus.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I hum Mania themes IRL. I love this game.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I died 3 or 4 times to the octopus boss first time around, at least twice due to standing on platforms while they lower, causing me to fall through the oil for instadeath. I also had a couple of my usual Big Dumb Idiot deaths.

That was the deadliest boss in the game for me, I don't think anything else killed me more than once. Hell, I finished collecting the emeralds today and one-shot the last fight without even really cutting it that close. Actually kinda proud of myself for that. :3:

On a related note, the tip somebody gave a couple of pages back about not needing Mach 3 to clear special stages was really handy! Hitting M2 and just going for rings and the UFO in the 6th stage turned it around for me, and I cleared the last stage on my second try with the same strategy.

turboraton posted:

I hum Mania themes IRL. I love this game.

Not sure if they count as Mania themes specifically but I've had FBZ and HCZ looping in my head every time I'm doing anything since I got this goddamn game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knuckles Mirage Saloon One best track.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i am unable to stop thinking of hard boiled heavies theme, metal sonic's theme, danger on the dance floor, metallic madness 1, press garden, knux mirage saloon and mirage 2, chemical plant 2, eggman's theme.

i just cant get them out of my head.

I would add flying battery and hydrocity too but those have been stuck here for way longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh and the special stage, of course