Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

TomViolence posted:

The Harry Potter books uncritically present a pretty bleak and brutal class society where whichever house you got into at your public school determines not just your prospects in later life but the quality of your very soul. Also there are indentured servants who really love being slaves and the banks are run by literal antisemitic caricatures.

this is the reality that liberals want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dumbledore was also a terrible person. He used people like pawns on a chessboard, manipulated them to die for him. He'S basically a fantasy version of George Smiley.

The Harry Potter series is basically a long form apologia for the excesses taken by elites in the wake of 9/11. Dumbledore is essentially running a one man GWOwizardingT from his office, has a bowl full of people's memories that looks like cum, and is a transparent facsimile for the deep state intelligence apparatus.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TomViolence posted:

The Harry Potter books uncritically present a pretty bleak and brutal class society where whichever house you got into at your public school determines not just your prospects in later life but the quality of your very soul. Also there are indentured servants who really love being slaves and the banks are run by literal antisemitic caricatures.

they're hella hosed Up but they're also books about how authority figures are fuckin morons who will fall under the sway of Wizard Nazis because its easier to stick your head in the sand than admit there's a problem and sometimes its actually cool and good to buck the system

i have

mixed feelings

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Over Easy posted:

The Harry Potter series is basically a long form apologia for the excesses taken by elites in the wake of 9/11. Dumbledore is essentially running a one man GWOwizardingT from his office, has a bowl full of people's memories that looks like cum, and is a transparent facsimile for the deep state intelligence apparatus.

the first four books came out before 9/11, you people have broken brains lol

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

read my 30,000 word dialectical analysis proving that the Hunger Games is an argument in favour of trump's immigration policy

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Over Easy posted:

Wouldn't memories logically look like cum though?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

haha

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Mine would

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

only the good ones

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

here's my take on why these childrens books about wizards are extremely problematic, from a marxian perspective. i'm extremely normal actually.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

here's my take on why indoctrinating children is actually entirely fine and totally harmless, from a neoliberal perspective. i'm extremely exceptional actually.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Fallen Hamprince posted:

LOl@you for not knowing that the plan for 9/11 was discussed at Yalta and Harry Potter was one of the LATER propaganda tracts in a line that included cultural touchstones like The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, Laugh In, and Cop Rock.

"Harry, drink this cum so you can remember your dad" were Roosevelt's lasts words to Truman

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Sep 3, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Over Easy posted:

LOl@you for not knowing that the plan for 9/11 was discussed at Yalta and Harry Potter was one of the LATER propaganda tracts in a line that included cultural touchstones like The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, Laugh In, and Cop Rock.

"Harry, drink this cum so you can remember your dad" were Roosevelt's lasts words to Truman

Hmmm, compelling

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fallen Hamprince posted:

here's my take on why these childrens books about wizards are extremely problematic, from a marxian perspective. i'm extremely normal actually.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that we need a Godwin's Law correlary for millennials where every discussion topic eventually leads to a Harry Potter analogy.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ozark is a pretty good show so far?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i thought this was the trump thread so im leaving that there anyway

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

anime was right posted:

yeah

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

withak posted:

I'm pretty sure that we need a Godwin's Law correlary for millennials where every discussion topic eventually leads to a Harry Potter analogy.

Hands off Goblins!

Trundleheim belongs to the House Elves!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

yeah it kicks rear end and I can't wait for season 2

it's woke AF

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I refuse to believe that a netflix show is good. They've all been so bad.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

an actual dog posted:

Same, also shows by northerners about the south are always awful.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

an actual dog posted:

i like bojack horseman but it is bleak as gently caress

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Bojack is so insanely bad in every way that it loops back around to good.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm willing to grant that Bojack could be good, but it's not funny.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm willing to grant that Bojack could be good, but it's not funny.

Marketing it as a comedy is hosed and bad because it's not funny at all. Well the abortion song was p funny I guess

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

an actual dog posted:

Peanut President posted:

Same, also shows by northerners about the south are always awful.

jason bateman is a pretty fantastic dramatic actor, as it turns out

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Marketing it as a comedy is hosed and bad because it's not funny at all. Well the abortion song was p funny I guess
it's a black as gently caress comedy if anything

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I just can't buy into the miserable ennui of being a rich Hollywood person whose greatest hardship in life is all the sex and drugs he gets to do.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I just can't buy into the miserable ennui of being a rich Hollywood person whose greatest hardship in life is all the sex and drugs he gets to do.

i love aziz ansari too

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

LinYutang posted:

i love aziz ansari too

who?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

do one about the Atlanta Falcons's new anus stadium

our very own TFF artistes have beat you to it

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

that's wonderful, holy poo poo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

death of the author, also death of causality and single timeline reality

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

death of the author, also death of causality and single timeline reality

long live the invincible Marxist-Leninist-Timecubist thought

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

just loving lol if you don't think Starship Troopers is a movie about the war on terror.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

it just occurred to me that a huge part of the population born after ~2000 is going to have no idea that there were two iraq wars because they occurred ten years apart under presidents named Bush and were fought against the same leader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Blue Train posted:

I don't know, the Halloween In January running gag was pretty funny

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it just occurred to me that a huge part of the population born after ~2000 is going to have no idea that there were two iraq wars because they occurred ten years apart under presidents named Bush and were fought against the same leader

We have always been at war with da brownz