Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks!

So for the mirror thing, is it just gone in the remake then or was it replaced with something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Keep in mind that's a 2001 game. I can't think of any first person survival horror games that precede it, at least not ones that weren't 100% action or 100% puzzles. I wish someone brought it over officially because I think we could've seen copycats earlier and maybe evolve the genre so we wouldn't be stuck in a rut of collecting 10 notes or running away from one-hit monster.

FirstAidKite posted:

Thanks!

So for the mirror thing, is it just gone in the remake then or was it replaced with something else?

It's still there but you get a cutscene instead of naturally looking up and seeing your dead face with bleeding eyes staring at you. The remake one doesn't even knock until you're staring right at him. It really kills the scene because the original has sort of a Half-life pacing where (almost everything) happens scripted instead of cutscenes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad posted:

It's still there but you get a cutscene instead of naturally looking up and seeing your dead face with bleeding eyes staring at you.

how are people that make video games so goddamn dumb.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Within 2 looking real good from the videos they're slowly releasing. Not only looks like it runs way better but seems more cohesive and together in regards to that kind of game they want to make. The first one was such a technical and mechanical mess that I never expected to be interested in the sequel but I'm really optimistic for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_qCz0IsMc

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm playing the first game right now and at least based on the 2nd chapter I'm enjoying it. I don't know why I'm supposed to burn bodies unless it's meant for the bodies I didn't kill like the unwritten Resident Evil rule where a zombie isn't dead until you see a pool of blood under it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

al-azad posted:

I'm playing the first game right now and at least based on the 2nd chapter I'm enjoying it. I don't know why I'm supposed to burn bodies unless it's meant for the bodies I didn't kill like the unwritten Resident Evil rule where a zombie isn't dead until you see a pool of blood under it.

Yeah, just burn bodies you haven't personally killed.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I rarely post in this thread but I wanted to point out a new game coming out on 9/20

Grave Chase:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/611630/Grave_Chase/

Seems to be a Zombies Ate My Neighbors Clone with an admiration for classic monsters based on the preview.

Looks pretty interesting and I know I will pick it up on release.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've been waiting for Grave Chase since it was announced, it looks like fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

rudecyrus posted:

Yeah, just burn bodies you haven't personally killed.

I kind of understand the meta of the game now. Stun enemies, burn them while stunned, try to group them together. Third chapter down I'm enjoying it more and more although I swear these bear traps spawn right underneath my feet or I'm just getting dumb lucky in zigzagging around them until I think the area is clear.

Looking forward to the sequel even if I don't finish this.

DLC Inc posted:

Evil Within 2 looking real good from the videos they're slowly releasing. Not only looks like it runs way better but seems more cohesive and together in regards to that kind of game they want to make. The first one was such a technical and mechanical mess that I never expected to be interested in the sequel but I'm really optimistic for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_qCz0IsMc

edit: Oh my! You can sprint for longer than 3 seconds! And a quick turn, it's like I'm back in 1999 with survival horror game design!

I can't quite put my finger on it, but the graphics look shinier and "cleaner." Maybe it's because they use brighter lighting and better textures but there's an almost cartoon look to everything especially the monster. I felt the same way about Resident Evil 7, maybe that's how they're dropping the terrible black bars on console?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 1, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's pretty much made by the main guy behind resident evil 4, so a lot of things from that game carry over

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Constantly getting one shot by stuff like traps happens throughout the the whole game so get used it to.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Sakurazuka posted:

Constantly getting one shot by stuff like traps happens throughout the the whole game so get used it to.
If you play AKUMU mode, it happens literally the entire game! :getin:

One thing I thought was great about TEW was that the gameplay changed slightly on higher difficulty levels - like how the path past the sadist in the first chapter is now blocked, or how that boss that requires high mobility now has bear traps scattered in the area.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh, Nightmare Creatures reboot? I've never gotten a chance to play the originals, but I liked the idea of them.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Haha, lady who made Spookys House of Jump Scares just randomly asked her lawyer where the IP rights were and they were just up for grabs. That's pretty great. Wish things were so easy for No One Lives Forever or all those other games stuck in IP hell.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

thebardyspoon posted:

Haha, lady who made Spookys House of Jump Scares just randomly asked her lawyer where the IP rights were and they were just up for grabs. That's pretty great. Wish things were so easy for No One Lives Forever or all those other games stuck in IP hell.

They deserve it after that dumb crap they had to go through earlier on, when some random rear end in a top hat came at them with ~ownership~ over some permutation of their name.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

catlord posted:

Huh, Nightmare Creatures reboot? I've never gotten a chance to play the originals, but I liked the idea of them.

Oh god I played this back in the day and it was terrible. Lots of butt-rock. Let's see how this one goes.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 3, 2017

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nightmare Creatures 1 is super cool, and is basically what Dark Souls-style combat would have been like on the PSX.

Nightmare Creatures 2 is less good, but still worth playing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

and is basically what Dark Souls-style combat would have been like on the PSX.

What the....

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nightmare Creatures 1 has combat that's reminiscent of a slightly simplified version of Dark Souls'.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bloodborne is the true nightmare creatures 2.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Are there any recap videos or anything for The Evil Within? I never got through the first game but the second one sounds like it'll be better so I may pick it up.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

BlackFrost posted:

Are there any recap videos or anything for The Evil Within? I never got through the first game but the second one sounds like it'll be better so I may pick it up.

Here's a decent summary of the first game. I don't know if much of the plot carries over into the sequel besides the basic idea of this STEM thing and a virtual nightmare world. The story is pretty bad and basically the sequel looks to just boil down to "virtual Silent Hill world" which I'm fine with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZsY2GyWfM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Nightmare Creatures 1 has combat that's reminiscent of a slightly simplified version of Dark Souls'.

Nah I was just trying to make a joke about there already being a series on ps1 that represents early dark souls gameplay (King's Field/Shadow Tower)

Vakal
May 11, 2008

catlord posted:

This is pretty neat. Loved the original even though it was overly difficult and controlled like a lead duck.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Night10194 posted:

Second Sight had an amazingly excellent twist, though.

The right kind, where it's foreshadowed just enough that after it happens you wonder why you didn't catch it before it did.

I love the poo poo out of Second Sight, and highly recommend playing it if you can snag a copy on PS2/GCN.

If you aren't able to play it, then watch My Name is Kaz's excellent Let's Play of it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm playing through Observer and can anyone tell me how far I am? I just finished going into Helena's mind. I ask because I'm kinda... I dunno, getting bored? I love the presentation of the game since it's basically just Blade Runner and it's beautifully done but the story isn't the most interesting and navigating the labyrinth of a apartment structure is so incredibly annoying and the layout is complete poo poo. Also when I'm in people's minds the trippy landscapes get tiring to look at and do so quickly. I want to finish the game up but if I'm not close to the end I might just shelve it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I don't suppose there's a podcast of any kind about horror games in specific, whether it's about review/analysis or development?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, cool. Thanks for explaining these.

Those changes are BONKERS. What the heck was going on in their minds when they changed that ghost head one to a flashing image jumpscare?

Oh man, Nightmare Creatures. I never got to play that game back in the day(thank god, i hear it was nigh unplayable), but thinking back on it it was hilariously "Edgy" didn't you play as Aleister Crowley's kid or something? And he was wearing a trenchcoat and had the long hair and there was so much blood and death and everything in it. SO EXTREEEEME!

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
You play as either a staff-toting priest/monk guy or a gymnast girl with a sword. The first one is flawed but still pretty good with some nice low-res spookiness. Nightmare Creatures 2 is the trash one, starring trenchcoat man who is just some guy whose hair Crowley made fall out with evil experiments.

The first game had a bunch of combos where the moves had different properties and could even chop enemies up into pieces. In NC2 you have a choice of two combos: square-square-triangle or triangle-triangle-square. The enemies also only respond to being attacked in a very specific pattern or else they'll just smack you down through your attacks. You also have to finish enemies with a FATALITY (a single, canned, 10 second long animation) or take even longer doing the "let me hit you" dance some more.

The first game had a collection of items that would blow enemies' limbs off, freeze them solid, confuse them into attacking random directions etc. NC2 had items but they're all "guy dies" with different animations.

If you get too close to the first boss he picks you up and literally bites you in the dick. At the end you place a bomb to kill some kind of tentacle monster at the top of the Eiffel tower (?) and then it just kind of ends.

But at least they licensed some sweet ROB ZOMBIE tunes so you could enjoy a handful of metal chords during the 5 second cutscenes.

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
The first one is great right off the bat with this intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyffE2ersl8

It's just really charming in spite of all its '97 roughness. This whole reboot thing though - even if it was by someone who had done anything cool ever, what's even the point when we have Bloodborne now?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Budohead posted:

But at least they licensed some sweet ROB ZOMBIE tunes so you could enjoy a handful of metal chords during the 5 second cutscenes.

This was so funny to see back when I was playing that game on my Dreamcast. I was a big(ger than now) Rob Zombie fan at the time, which was why I bought the game, but the 10-second music clips were so stupidly out of place that it was hilarious. One that's sticking out in my memory is a very short loop of What Lurks on Channel X that plays over some monsters jumping across some rooftops or something.

Otherwise I barely played that game or remember anything about it, I think I owned it a month then traded it in somewhere.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

Burning bodies can light nearby enemies on fire and instantly kill them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Burning bodies can light nearby enemies on fire and instantly kill them.

Midway through the game now (jeeze this thing may be longer than Resi4) and I find this tactic kind of flies out the window pretty early. Fully upgraded agony bolts kill basically everything in 1-2 hits and there's enough environmental effects in big arenas that I don't even bother with matches much.

Plus the timing was frustrating. It felt like the prompt never appeared when enemies were near and they'll just randomly grab you while you're trying to toss a match. There should've been an upgrade to speed up your match lighting or something.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The story of Evil Within is real loving bad, but if it had come out circa Silent Hill 1/2/Resident Evil1/2, it'd be acceptable because incomprehensible word salad for the background plot was par for course.
The actual gameplay not so bad.

I remember Nightmare Creatures 1 and 2. Never really liked 2, but had a friend who was insanely in love with it. In my head it's kind of the same game as The Suffering, only way worse. I also wouldn't say Nightmare Creatures 2's main character was cool or edgy. While it's true he had a trenchcoat, he was also a weird hunchback guy covered in bandages who was experimented on and didn't get any cool powers from it (from what I remember). The game was also real REEEVENGE but since afaik Crowley wasn't killed by a weird goon, the ending was "I never caught Crowley and im ugly"

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 4, 2017

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

Midway through the game now (jeeze this thing may be longer than Resi4) and I find this tactic kind of flies out the window pretty early. Fully upgraded agony bolts kill basically everything in 1-2 hits and there's enough environmental effects in big arenas that I don't even bother with matches much.

Plus the timing was frustrating. It felt like the prompt never appeared when enemies were near and they'll just randomly grab you while you're trying to toss a match. There should've been an upgrade to speed up your match lighting or something.
It's more a thing on higher difficulties where you're not going to have ammo to kill everything. Pop 'em in the leg as they're running towards you or bowl three Haunted over with a shotgun and get to work with matches. Even there it's super loving arbitrary as you'll sometimes get the prompt, toss a match and have it miss.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

al-azad posted:

I found that Evil Within changed the expected play style quite a few times throughout the game, usually when you had a setting change. So for the first third of the game, you're taught about stealth kills and sneaking while also being given the chance to go in guns blazing....but then it switches to you racing against the clock in a Resident Evil-esque mansion.....and then you're in a puzzle boss fight for an extended period where you're almost trying to herd the enemy around....and then you get into the cover shooter portion of the game. Some people didn't really like this, but I thought it worked honestly. I felt it was a good thematic match with the changing settings and different mindsets that Seb has to go through, though the cover shooting/more combat focused parts near the end of the game were more annoying than anything. But yeah, I just thought it was a fun, spooky game all around that was fairly long but it never felt padded out like RE 4 did. And it's fun when you run across goofy ways to kill the enemies; like did you know if you have an enemy banging on a door to get to you that you can kick the door in and just insta-kill them....cause it's funny as poo poo to me:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Evil Within has a lot of neat little touches, like how pulling out your agony crossbow with lv5 Harpoon Bolts e quipped will instantly kill you in a Chapter 11 area... because of course it will.

My favorite goofy kill in EW is in the Chapter 10 carousel room, shooting the enemies that crouch-walks toward you once in the leg. They stand up when you shoot them :haw:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Scorn Kickstarter is up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Evil Within has a lot of neat little touches, like how pulling out your agony crossbow with lv5 Harpoon Bolts e quipped will instantly kill you in a Chapter 11 area... because of course it will.

Can you explain this one a little more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Can you explain this one a little more?

Level 5 bolts are aflame. The arena in question is filled with flammable gas.