Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FirstAidKite posted:

Well, no, Silent Hill had melee weapons and the boss can be killed normally, it's just that the whole "last bullet" thing is a dramatic effect kind of thing to give the experience of "hoo boy I'm sure glad that last shot hit" or whatever. At least, that's how I understand it works.

If you're going to present the player with a task that can be failed, then pull the interactivity out of it at the last second in order to achieve a dramatic effect, you should be making movies, not video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
have you played silent hill 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's also possible to make SH1 unwinnable. If you don't pick up the Rifle, but pick up Rifle Ammo, it doesn't do the "since you have no way to kill this boss you win" thing. You can't drop ammo so there's no way to get the game to understand you're hosed. If it's possible to kill the last boss with melee, I sure couldn't, I think it's impossible unless you have tons of healing maybe.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you're going to present the player with a task that can be failed, then pull the interactivity out of it at the last second in order to achieve a dramatic effect, you should be making movies, not video games.

I hate (a specific mission in) Saints Row 2 so much

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hate (a specific mission in) Saints Row 2 so much

which one was that? the mission i quit saints row 2 on was... man, what was it? i think it was some kind of bank robbery, or hi-rise invasion? and then you had to get away on a helicopter. but after barely making it to the helipad, some guys on the roof brought out rocket launchers and shot me down. it started me at the beginning of the survival section and i was willing to retry it, but then the game crashed (windows 7 dass why) :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I agree generally, but also its not like making the last bullet in the gun do more damage or the last 10% of the healthbar actually represent 20% of your health is the equivalent to the intro fight in sotn where if you die maria comes and kills dracula for you

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

which one was that? the mission i quit saints row 2 on was... man, what was it? i think it was some kind of bank robbery, or hi-rise invasion? and then you had to get away on a helicopter. but after barely making it to the helipad, some guys on the roof brought out rocket launchers and shot me down. it started me at the beginning of the survival section and i was willing to retry it, but then the game crashed (windows 7 dass why) :(

The one where you have to rescue your homie from being dragged around by a chain attached to a truck. :ohdear:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oh yeah that one's way too rough and it's why i'm glad the two games since went in the direction they did

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

oh yeah that one's way too rough and it's why i'm glad the two games since went in the direction they did

That plot was incredible and horrifying, but the gameplay attached to it, whoof.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

it was. I forgot objects in The Sims 1 were spites.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

happy birthday, to Metal Gear Solid

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember I didn't even get to fight the final boss of SH1 because I didn't walk into a specific shack 4 hours earlier.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

Thats the first 5 mins of sr3

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I remember I didn't even get to fight the final boss of SH1 because I didn't walk into a specific shack 4 hours earlier.

There's always a final boss, just two different ones depending on which ending track you're on.
Well, uh, apart from the UFO ending.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Eagerly awaiting splatfest results

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've only just got the first neuromod in Prey and I'm already hitting analysis paralysis. :spergin:

How should I use it?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

In Training posted:

They'll arrive in less than two hours time. It takes time to tally all the results from all three regions. (Not really.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Really Pants posted:

I've only just got the first neuromod in Prey and I'm already hitting analysis paralysis. :spergin:

How should I use it?

Theres a side quest that lets you make as many as you want later so it doesnt matter. Just dont waste them on similar traversal skills.

For instance theres almost always 2-3 ways through every door: lifting a big box, hacking a computer, etc. pick one of these to focus on instead of grabbing all of them.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I did some clearing up of my backlog by beating Shadow Warrior and Transformers: Devastation this weekend. Both games had a save halfway through the second to last level, so I beat them both in maybe 4 hours. I had kept them downloaded for so long because I knew I was close to the end but it feels good to wrap them up. Shadow Warrior was pretty mediocre but I could really see the charm in Transformers. I think I had forgotten a lot of the abilities and once I beat the game I watched a combo video that was... impressive. Once was enough for me; too many other games to play.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Is there a metroid thread and if not is anyone planning to make one? Figure i might make a megathread to serve as a thread for both samus returns and eventually prime 4.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
transformers isn't really worth replaying tbh. it's a decent enough action game and the highlights towards the end are pretty cool but even with how short it was, i just couldn't replay it. the mechanics are too cluttered and weird and it messes up a lot of what makes the core gameplay satisfying, and a lot of bosses in the first half are just suckier versions of bosses from the later half

now that bayonetta's on steam i'd only even really recommend people to pick up transformers if they find it on sale for like five bucks

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A friend is recommending Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice so I look up trailers on youtube.
The first trailer is just footage of who I assume is Senua walking around with morose music while Dr. Claw narrates and nothing of the game is shown
The second trailer is again footage of Senua stumbling around dark and rotting areas while her sad, soft spoken narration is drowned out by morose music turned to 11
FInally I find a 2 minute "Gameplay Trailer" of which 90 seconds are again Senua looking sad and grimy and 10 seconds of Senua blocking attacks but getting her rear end kicked in doing so and the other 20 seconds being the COMING SOON screen

Do I uh, want to get the game or

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Calaveron posted:

A friend is recommending Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice so I look up trailers on youtube.
The first trailer is just footage of who I assume is Senua walking around with morose music while Dr. Claw narrates and nothing of the game is shown
The second trailer is again footage of Senua stumbling around dark and rotting areas while her sad, soft spoken narration is drowned out by morose music turned to 11
FInally I find a 2 minute "Gameplay Trailer" of which 90 seconds are again Senua looking sad and grimy and 10 seconds of Senua blocking attacks but getting her rear end kicked in doing so and the other 20 seconds being the COMING SOON screen

Its a walking sim with some light shallow combat. The draw is the narrative, presentation, and msrp.

Not for everyone

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Calaveron posted:

Hellblade is a hard game to market because it's difficult to describe exactly what it is. There's no HUD, it takes 6-8 hours to complete, there's some combat and light puzzling but neither of them really define what the game is about. Do you like very atmospheric, immersive experiences with beautiful and disturbing imagery? Does the idea of combining norse mythology with visual and auditory symptoms of psychosis sound cool? If I namedropped Shadow of the Colossus and SpecOps: The Line, would you react favorably or unfavorably? If so then you'll probably really like Hellblade and you must 100% play with headphones. If you're looking for a more traditional hack n' slash with replay value then no worries, it is definitely Not For Everyone.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Sounds like fantasy SOMA with mythological symbolism, mental health themes replacing human identity themes, and the wonky stealth replaced with wonky combat.

:corsair: back in my day game puzzles were so hard you had to spend days with a notebook figuring it out, and that's how we liked it

vermin fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 3, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

Team Flight, hell ya

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhWul0562YY

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Real hurthling! posted:

Thats the first 5 mins of sr3

nah i know what you mean but the first five minutes of sr3 is scripted so you basically can't die. the one i'm thinking of is i think really late in the yakuza quest line

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not really? Playing around with mechanics to achieve a specific effect sounds like something entirely specific to games. Not every game is about demanding peak systems mastery.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Team Flight, hell ya

The good guys won

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Would that one part of eternal darkness count, the bit where the player can't actually die and it becomes slowly apparent to the player that they're becoming a zombie? Without straight up announcing to the player "hey you're a zombie and you can no longer die"?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

the ys demo was too short

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was long enough for me, the game is out in less than two weeks anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Colonel posted:

have you played silent hill 2

For like ten minutes on the PC version before I gave up because the controls were so bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like how the major endings of SH2 all judge you by your gaming habits. Water is the most canonical feeling to me though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

It was long enough for me, the game is out in less than two weeks anyway.

I got lost for 40 mins cause the gap i hadnt explored was obscured by map icons.

Its good game!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

I like how the major endings of SH2 all judge you by your gaming habits. Water is the most canonical feeling to me though.

I'd be amazed if anyone didn't get In Water first time through

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd be amazed if anyone didn't get In Water first time through

i got Leave

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For like ten minutes on the PC version before I gave up because the controls were so bad.

silent hill 2 is rarely ever even remotely hard outside of the puzzles because that is just entirely not the point of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Calaveron posted:

You don't

• Locked thread