Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Cage posted:

OMG guys can we please ban gym internet politics hair chat?

Why, jealous? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Um I love going to the gym with my flowing locks and regularly chat with the bros about politics in between me checking posts on the internet.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm 6'9 and 420lbs

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

samesies

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

rdb posted:

Very nice. What is it?

1985 Daihatsu Rugger long wheelbase turbo diesel. We got them as the Rocky here in the USA but only the short wheelbase version and only the gasoline engine one. Pretty excited to diesel it up :toot:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Making bolts and screws for cars is complicated business. Holy poo poo, things get down to the thousandths of a millimeter for safety critical (think airbag, seat belt, and steering wheel retaining bolts) parts we make.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wrar posted:

I grow a pretty serious beard. I don't mind the grey at all, I mean, I fuckin' earned it.

48 in a week, hair is still brown (though it used to be blond, long ago), and all there, but the beard is all salt and pepper, mostly salt. As you say, I earned it. For one, I have a 15 year old mildly spergie daughter.

Got new tires for the wife's Kia today - Discount Tire is having a rebate for Labor day, and the shoulders were getting smooth. Probably could have gotten a few thousand more miles on them, but then I would need to buy with no rebate. Surprisingly good experience with Discount Tire this time around - the appointment actually meant something, unlike last time, and they had it done under 40 minutes, as promised.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Devyl posted:

Making bolts and screws for cars is complicated business. Holy poo poo, things get down to the thousandths of a millimeter for safety critical (think airbag, seat belt, and steering wheel retaining bolts) parts we make.
Never mind the actual parts, paperwork's the real ticket with anything like that.

Did you mention previously about getting into fastener manufacturing? I can't remember. In many ways, automotive is harder than aerospace, the technical requirements aren't a million miles away, but car manufacturers are a lot more driven when it comes to schedules and cost-down over time. Anything proprietary and safety critical is a good avenue to get your fingers into.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I'm 6'9 and 420lbs
6'3", and that's two measurements

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Trying to sell my enfield for $350 because it has a clean title but is otherwise hosed up a bunch and needs work. Well, I just enrolled for a few online community college classes and need money for books.

Holy poo poo my phone exploded. Even discounting all of the "so all it needs is a battery and fresh gas?" (no, it needs a bit more than that, you will NOT be riding it away from here, the ad says to bring a trailer) I still have like eleven people that want it. I've been very clear that 1: it still has the Idaho title, 2: the price is so low because it's a "you get what you get and no complaining" price, and 3: bring a trailer.

Then, fuckwits that agreed about things yesterday start texting bullshit like this today:

Aaaand blocked

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 2, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The people who buy cheap rear end cars and bikes here are the absolute loving worst.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The people who buy cheap rear end cars and bikes here are the absolute loving worst.
There was a recent thread on PistonHeads where a guy sold his daughter's old car - running/working, MOT'd (annual inspection) for the next 5 months, and generally road legal and ok - for £300. And the oval office that bought it wanted to bring it back for a refund because it had a bit of an oil weepage from the rocker cover and it didn't have power steering (not that it was broken, the car just didn't have it).

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

They are worse. Far loving worse

48 about to get back on the bike finish 100kms

Man, I have to say I'm pretty let down on those Capris, but it seems like all the forces are working against me on that one. I can't even seem to find one that's the color I want with a turbo, and judging by the amount of them they made and the condition of the ones I'm seeing, I don't think I ever will.
I've got these two LTD wagons, and while they are a blast to drive, they aren't as engaging as my '94 Tbird was. That little tissue box of a convertible checked all my boxes... :sadfan:
If I see one for dirt cheap I'm still tempted to pick one up, just to see how it holds up until something huge happens, make it a comedy thread of errors. I'm only in my mid 20s, so this small barbie car is just what I need!

It's no Maserati Birtubo, but it'd be my own MazdaAussi BlownTurbo

My other options for a sorta fun convertible would be something like a mid-80s Mercedes, either a 500SL or 560SL. I was talking to my uncle who owns one and he told me not to bother with anything smaller than that, he has a 380SL of his own. I just want a fun tourer with an optional hardtop. Something of a weekend car that'd be fun to tool around with with the top down. There are THREE 70s Cadillac Eldorado Convertibles for sale in town...
Here's two of them:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Luxrage posted:

My other options for a sorta fun convertible would be something like a mid-80s Mercedes, either a 500SL or 560SL. I was talking to my uncle who owns one and he told me not to bother with anything smaller than that, he has a 380SL of his own. I just want a fun tourer with an optional hardtop. Something of a weekend car that'd be fun to tool around with with the top down. There are THREE 70s Cadillac Eldorado Convertibles for sale in town...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhX0Y2wQfqo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I hate plumbing.
I hate cast iron pipe.
I hate the gummy play-doh we pretend is dirt here in North Texas.
I hate tree roots that are 30 loving feet from the nearest tree.
I hate the sun.
I hate sweat.

gently caress this. I have a credit card. I'm calling a plumber, and they're going to replace this 50 year old poo poo all the way to the main line.

This is after I fought with the powered drain auger, and finally mostly cleared it with a water weenie. I noticed that the ground was damp in places I hadn't gotten the hose. Best part? It's like that under the house, too, according to a plumber that sent a camera down some years ago.

I hate my house.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Darchangel posted:

I hate plumbing.
I hate cast iron pipe.
I hate the gummy play-doh we pretend is dirt here in North Texas.
I hate tree roots that are 30 loving feet from the nearest tree.
I hate the sun.
I hate sweat.

gently caress this. I have a credit card. I'm calling a plumber, and they're going to replace this 50 year old poo poo all the way to the main line.

This is after I fought with the powered drain auger, and finally mostly cleared it with a water weenie. I noticed that the ground was damp in places I hadn't gotten the hose. Best part? It's like that under the house, too, according to a plumber that sent a camera down some years ago.

I hate my house.

Ugh, yeah. Talking about poo poo we'd outsource, this is my big one. I hate that poo poo too. Good luck with whichever direction you go. Mine would be 'nuke from orbit'.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Aaaaand the enfield is gone. Two kids came first, maybe mid 20's, and were concerned about the Idaho title. "But it needs to be notarized." Listen, there's no spot ON THE TITLE TO NOTARIZE IT. I called the MVD on friday and they were like "yeah, that's cool. Just notarize a bill of sale for out of state titles without notarization spots." So, I presented them with a notarized bill of sale that I did this very morning. "Nah, man. You mind coming with us to the private MVD down the street?" Nope. Goodbye.

Another guy literally 2 minutes away with his truck bought it as-is for the 350, cash, no hassle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Went to the Auburn Douchenberg auction today.

Found the best car

$2500 OBO i about died laughing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

Went to the Auburn Douchenberg auction today.

Found the best car

So did you buy it or what?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If he'll take $1200 or less I might

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I can't seem to find those things anywhere around here. If it's as clean as it looks...

edit: This is the poo poo I get:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/ford-festiva/6283936169.html

There's another one for $400 that has been used as a parts car, parts missing, but its got some nice "sport" wheels on it and a factory hatch spoiler.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/ford-festiva/6236418437.html

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 3, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It had rust at the rear of the driver side rocker and two or three hand sized dents. Interior as shockingly clean but very worn.

The auctions make everyone think their poo poo is gold. We saw so many crossed out prices with OBO under them today, nobody was buying anything in the car corral.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It had rust at the rear of the driver side rocker and two or three hand sized dents. Interior as shockingly clean but very worn.

The auctions make everyone think their poo poo is gold. We saw so many crossed out prices with OBO under them today, nobody was buying anything in the car corral.

Yeah, that's definitely a proximity effect.
$2500 is a bit much. Maybe $1500.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, that's definitely a proximity effect.
$2500 is a bit much. Maybe $1500.

His crossed out price was $2800. I didn't remember to check the mileage so unless it was crazy low I stick by the $1200 value. They're pretty common around this region.

Edit: Oh yeah, so after the auction I jumped on the highway and went to IKEA. I got detoured because of a wreck and cut across a state highway and ended up passing a BREMBO facility. I pulled in and wandered up to the office and asked if they gave tours but not on Saturday so that sucked.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 3, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

One of my requirements for our next house, and it is a deal killer, is a separate laundry room. I hate, hate, hate, the damned laundry in my garage, and my wife is not thrilled about all the stuff that happens to the laundry while it's in my garage. Which wouldn't happen if she'd just take the wash out to the machine, wash it, dry it, and take it back, but she's got to sort and then leave poo poo everywhere because she doesn't want to do that particular item or type just then and... Also, she may be tired of me bitching about it.

(replying in this thread instead of terrible car stuff)

Serious question, when did laundry rooms become common in TX houses? I've only lived in one house that had the washer and dryer in the garage, and it was built in the early 70s. One place I was at from the 1920s had them on the back porch, but that was very much added after the place was built. The apartments I've lived in with w/d hookups all had them right off the kitchen or in the kitchen (but the oldest apt I've lived in that had hookups was built in the mid 70s).

Also I'm kinda like your wife there - I'm always sorting everything at the washer, then folding them/putting everything on hangers straight out of the dryer. Things will never get folded/hung otherwise, the moment I'm away from the dryer I completely forget about laundry.

NOPE NOPE NOPE gently caress NOPE. I'll gladly pay someone to deal with that poo poo.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Hope you've been able to get gas, STR.

Luckily I live 8 minutes from work so I can ride my bike there but all the gas stations near where I live by 75 and Haskell are out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm off of 30 and Bobtown, way the gently caress out on the border of Garland/Rowlett/Sunnyvale.

I just didn't drive from Wednesday (aside from grocery store trips) up until today, but Quiktrip's mobile app has real time availability at their stations. I have 3 of them within 15 minutes of me.

I was in your area a few times tonight... wound up driving for Uber Eats for a few hours, kept getting sent to ZaLat and DaLat over on Fitzhugh. Had a pickup from Fadi's over on Knox too. Made $110 in 4 hours (uber threw in a $25 bonus), can't complain too much about that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 3, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

(replying in this thread instead of terrible car stuff)

Serious question, when did laundry rooms become common in TX houses? I've only lived in one house that had the washer and dryer in the garage, and it was built in the early 70s. One place I was at from the 1920s had them on the back porch, but that was very much added after the place was built. The apartments I've lived in with w/d hookups all had them right off the kitchen or in the kitchen (but the oldest apt I've lived in that had hookups was built in the mid 70s).

Also I'm kinda like your wife there - I'm always sorting everything at the washer, then folding them/putting everything on hangers straight out of the dryer. Things will never get folded/hung otherwise, the moment I'm away from the dryer I completely forget about laundry.

90s, I think, maybe? Just kind of depends on the builder, really. I could put up with it if I had a separate shop, and the garage was just for parking the daily drivers, but even then, it's kind of poo poo for her to go out into the non-climate-controlled garage, with no counters or anything laundry-related nearby other than the machines themselves. So she's on board, too.

quote:

NOPE NOPE NOPE gently caress NOPE. I'll gladly pay someone to deal with that poo poo.

I will be. Put in a call to the guys that did my water heater a while back. I don't expect to hear from them until Tuesday, but that's fine. The drain is working at the moment.
I really hated to admit that maybe I'm just not up to that poo poo any more, but digging has always been one of the tasks that I hate. I'm finally in a financial position that it's just not absolutely necessary for me to mess with it personally this time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Huh, maybe it's a hyper-regional thing, or a code thing? Every house I lived in in El Paso had its own laundry room (7 houses that I can think of - all 70s houses), and of the.. 5? I've lived in here in DFW, 1 had the laundry in the garage (Garland, built in 1970 according to Zillow). The other houses I've lived in here were 1985 (x2, both in Carrollton), 1994 (Plano), and ~1920-1930 (Dallas). I've never lived on the Ft Worth side of DFW, for that matter I don't think I've ever been inside a house in Tarrant county.

I don't have counters or anything in my laundry room - it's a wide shallow room, barely enough space for the washer on one side, dryer on the other (the dryer's sitting on the baseboards instead of the floor, while the washer, your typical Kenmore/Whirlpool, barely fits). The only real upside to where it's at is it's in a climate controlled room. I've seen some older apartments that stick them in a closet on the patio - no thanks, I don't want to deal with frozen pipes.

e: dad's current house in El Paso also has its own laundry room, built in ~1984, but that's a weird house.. it has both swamp coolers and central ac, plus the garage has full HVAC - it was the model home for that builder.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 3, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

W/D chat:

I don't live in TX but I do own an early 50s house. The kitchen originally had a washer hookup in the kitchen and a dryer hookup in the garage. The kitchen had a mild renovation in the 70s. They installed a dishwasher at the washer hookup and ran new water lines for a fridge icemaker and a relocated washer and dryer in the kitchen. I converted the 220v in the garage to an EV charging station for my Volt.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Responding to a power outage at 5am, ended up being the first ones on scene to a fatal single vehicle accident. :(

Didn't expect to start my Sunday seeing someone leave in a body bag.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, so after the auction I jumped on the highway and went to IKEA. I got detoured because of a wreck and cut across a state highway and ended up passing a BREMBO facility. I pulled in and wandered up to the office and asked if they gave tours but not on Saturday so that sucked.

Homer, Michigan? Northville, Michigan? Those are the only two I know about.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Homer sounds right.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Homer sexual

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I really want to buy a house, gently caress living in apartments forever. I just turned 25 and excel says it'll take me close to 5 years just to save up for the downpayment.

I just want a garage man :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Homer sounds right.

West of Jackson? That's where they cast and machine their rotors. There's also a corner assembly area for the GT500 but that may have changed in the past 5 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

West of Jackson? That's where they cast and machine their rotors. There's also a corner assembly area for the GT500 but that may have changed in the past 5 years.

I was heading towards Jackson so that must be it!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

dk2m posted:

I really want to buy a house, gently caress living in apartments forever. I just turned 25 and excel says it'll take me close to 5 years just to save up for the downpayment.

I just want a garage man :(

Earn more money or find a cheaper area or combine your buying power with another person's or start robbing people or prostituting yourself.

I think those last two might count as earning more money though.

I feel you though, I know how lucky I am and it took years to get here, my little brother's stuck renting and unless civilization collapses I don't know whether my kids will ever be able to afford to get out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

If it had a BP would be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah BP or else. I've had 6 or 7 festivas.

• Locked thread