Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A BP swapped Festiva is too cool for Douchenburg.

Dad has to have open heart surgery. I might be freaking out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Perfectly understandable, hugs dude.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

dk2m posted:

I really want to buy a house, gently caress living in apartments forever. I just turned 25 and excel says it'll take me close to 5 years just to save up for the downpayment.

I just want a garage man :(

Same here, it's a pain having to go inside for something and having to pack all the tools up in the car due to the constant stream of foot traffic of people walking around my apartment complex going to and from the Dollar General.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

A BP swapped Festiva is too cool for Douchenburg.
I can't see a Festiva and not think of a Kia Pride. I mean, they were pretty terrible, and I don't understand how the US versions can be much of an improvement. Is the love of them just down to the US not getting all the really good small 80s cars that everyone else had?

Rhyno posted:

Dad has to have open heart surgery. I might be freaking out a bit.
He's considered a good enough prospect for them to want to do it, so chin up, dude. Surgeons are arrogant bastards and they do not like losing, if they've decided they want to go ahead, he's likely going to be ok.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

I can't see a Festiva and not think of a Kia Pride. I mean, they were pretty terrible, and I don't understand how the US versions can be much of an improvement. Is the love of them just down to the US not getting all the really good small 80s cars that everyone else had?

Yeah, our small car selection sucks.

InitialDave posted:

He's considered a good enough prospect for them to want to do it, so chin up, dude. Surgeons are arrogant bastards and they do not like losing, if they've decided they want to go ahead, he's likely going to be ok.

This is what he tells me. I'm still worried.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wife is at 32 weeks pregnant and her water broke last night while we were away from home (~2 hours away) for Labor Day weekend. She's not in labor and all is well so far thankfully. They hope to keep the baby in there as long as possible, up to 2 weeks if they can. At 34 weeks they'll induce labor but won't stop it from coming if it starts in the meantime. They want us to stay here for 2 weeks and say that it isn't safe to transfer to a hospital closer to home.

fuuuuuuuuuuck

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Geez Rhyno, good luck.

Larrymer posted:

Wife is at 32 weeks pregnant and her water broke last night while we were away from home (~2 hours away) for Labor Day weekend. She's not in labor and all is well so far thankfully. They hope to keep the baby in there as long as possible, up to 2 weeks if they can. At 34 weeks they'll induce labor but won't stop it from coming if it starts in the meantime. They want us to stay here for 2 weeks and say that it isn't safe to transfer to a hospital closer to home.

fuuuuuuuuuuck

Oh gently caress. Once the water breaks the clock starts moving hard. 34 weeks is almost close to being okayish so hopefully you guys will do all right. The hospital is unfortunately kinda right, things could be ok but they could get bad really fast and they'll need to constantly monitor your wife and the baby.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Wrar posted:

Geez Rhyno, good luck.

Oh gently caress. Once the water breaks the clock starts moving hard. 34 weeks is almost close to being okayish so hopefully you guys will do all right. The hospital is unfortunately kinda right, things could be ok but they could get bad really fast and they'll need to constantly monitor your wife and the baby.

Its close, but its all good. I've got friends with a 30-weeker and he's now 13, healthy and happy. Keep un-stressed (keep her un-stressed) as much as you can. And also, absolute 110% best of luck.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

dk2m posted:

I really want to buy a house, gently caress living in apartments forever. I just turned 25 and excel says it'll take me close to 5 years just to save up for the downpayment.

I just want a garage man :(

Rent a garage. In the economy we're moving into, owning a house is a curse. You will almost certainly need to move for job reasons at least once in the next 30 years.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Spent a load of time yesterday wet sanding a wheel.

My wrist feels like that of either an 80 year old man or a 15 year old boy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ugh. Just spent some time in the garage replacing an air hose. I swear I'm losing any ability to work in the heat because nothing about this was strenuous or even mildly hard. Yet I came back in fully soaked in sweat. Ambient is just under 90, but the garage is probably at least 100 from heat soak.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Today has been super humid West side. I tried playing on the lathe for a bit and it was miserable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it felt a bit muggy yesterday morning when I got started working on the CR-V. Same deal there, nothing hard (plugs, oil, filters, rotate the tires and inspect the brakes) and it kicked my rear end too.

It also feels like the >105 highs are hanging on later in the year than usual.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So uh, what's "muggy" to you guys? 35%? :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
started watching the new twin peaks and holy poo poo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fridge corn posted:

started watching the new twin peaks and holy poo poo

I've been told it's dope, I take it this is you confirming that opinion?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Luxrage posted:

Same here, it's a pain having to go inside for something and having to pack all the tools up in the car due to the constant stream of foot traffic of people walking around my apartment complex going to and from the Dollar General.

Amen. I'm OK'ish with my working conditions in the condo underground parking, but essentially having to lock everything up to go take a piss or look something up get old real quick.

Larrymer posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuck

We're currently at week 36, and while everything is fine, I feel your worry. Hope everything will turn out OK. Friend of mine had twins that were induced at 32 weeks and they're fine and healthy now. Best of luck dude.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

This is what he tells me. I'm still worried.

Perfectly understandable. Good luck.

Larrymer posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuck

2 hours away might seem like a pain in the dick but it's a once off inconvenience against her having round-the-clock observation. Don't sweat too much about the early bit, just keep your wife supplied with entertainment and make sure the house is 100% ready for when she gets hone.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've been told it's dope, I take it this is you confirming that opinion?

yeah it's really good and completely mental. watched three eps and loving top so far

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

also rip walter becker

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

86% here today. Feels like I'm breathing gaseous cotton.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ugh. Just spent some time in the garage replacing an air hose. I swear I'm losing any ability to work in the heat because nothing about this was strenuous or even mildly hard. Yet I came back in fully soaked in sweat. Ambient is just under 90, but the garage is probably at least 100 from heat soak.

Do you have a shop fan?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Perfectly understandable. Good luck.

2 hours away might seem like a pain in the dick but it's a once off inconvenience against her having round-the-clock observation. Don't sweat too much about the early bit, just keep your wife supplied with entertainment and make sure the house is 100% ready for when she gets hone.

We had the baby shower just a couple weeks ago and don't have poo poo prepared at the house yet, lol. Still need to buy a crib and/or pack and play but the kid isn't leaving here for awhile anyway. We were taken by complete surprise, we weren't even supposed to have the child birth class until next weekend.

Definitely feeling unprepared.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So we had a big storm roll through last night, Thunder, hail, rain, wind the works. Any more rain and they're going to do a live cross from Houston...

And its amazing what blows into your yard during a big storm. Like this that i found beside my front door.

We'd seen her hanging around the last few nights so set the cat trap with kibble and this morning she was in there. I had work, and the missus was off for the day so it was "Go take the new kitty to the vets to check for a micro chip and take it to the shelter.

Then around 9am I get the call of "The vets said to hold onto her locally for a week and put up some Found Kitteh posters in case its someones lost kitten, so its set up in the bathroom. And we have to keep our two cats away from it in case its got FIV or ring worm or parasites. Oh, and its about 5-6 months old, intact female and doesnt APPEAR to be pregnant"

Get home from work and this is what greets me...

Im reasonably sure Im now the dubiously proud owner of 3 cats...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Congrats, that is a gorgeous kitty.

One of the local car idiots that seems to plague every enthusiast gathering crashed a bike on the interstate last night. From what I understand it was his 5th or 6th time riding.

http://wane.com/2017/09/03/1-hurt-after-motorcycle-crash-on-i-69/

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Ferremit posted:

So we had a big storm roll through last night, Thunder, hail, rain, wind the works. Any more rain and they're going to do a live cross from Houston...

And its amazing what blows into your yard during a big storm. Like this that i found beside my front door.

We'd seen her hanging around the last few nights so set the cat trap with kibble and this morning she was in there. I had work, and the missus was off for the day so it was "Go take the new kitty to the vets to check for a micro chip and take it to the shelter.

Then around 9am I get the call of "The vets said to hold onto her locally for a week and put up some Found Kitteh posters in case its someones lost kitten, so its set up in the bathroom. And we have to keep our two cats away from it in case its got FIV or ring worm or parasites. Oh, and its about 5-6 months old, intact female and doesnt APPEAR to be pregnant"

Get home from work and this is what greets me...

Im reasonably sure Im now the dubiously proud owner of 3 cats...

Yeah it is yours now, just accept it. One more won't hurt

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Pretty much.

angryrobots posted:

Do you have a shop fan?

Yep, it makes things slightly less uncomfortable.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Quick question for a friend, admin fees on used cars legit or no?

"2014 subaru impreza 13,999 miles is asking 15,999 + 3% tax + admin fee at 589 + 102 non tax fees"

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yall need to come to Florida, so you can experience the joy of an 80*/88% morning.

Air is supposed to be drinkable, right?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

"2014 subaru impreza 13,999 miles is asking 15,999 + 3% tax + admin fee at 589 + 102 non tax fees"

Admin fee = fee for filling out and filing paperwork. Everything is negotiable, the last car I bought it was $489. It's pretty common, though $589 seems high.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Yall need to come to Florida, so you can experience the joy of an 80*/88% morning.

Have you seen the new track for hurricane Irma? :ohdear:

So last night I was wrapping up some maintenance on the Lexus, buncha fluid changes and while it was up on jackstands i decided to rotate the tires. On the very last loving lug nut the stud decided to strip out of the hub so now I have a spinning lug nut and cannot get the wheel off. I was ready to put it on the ground and call it a successful day god dammit, now I'm dealing with trying to break this thing loose on a day I was planning on doing nothing :argh:

Yay cars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I regard them as bullshit to let them meet a headline number, save for if they're required to list stuff separately due to taxation regs.

It's all part of the pathological inability of dealerships to talk in terms of total cost for a sale.

The implication is that the $589 is subject to the 3% tax, and the $102 isn't.

But $15,999 gets more people in the door than $17,188 does.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Larrymer posted:

We had the baby shower just a couple weeks ago and don't have poo poo prepared at the house yet, lol. Still need to buy a crib and/or pack and play but the kid isn't leaving here for awhile anyway. We were taken by complete surprise, we weren't even supposed to have the child birth class until next weekend.

I think that is true for all new parents. Even if the little blighter is 400 weeks late, you still won't feel ready.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress, that's just the worst.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Have you seen the new track for hurricane Irma? :ohdear:

So last night I was wrapping up some maintenance on the Lexus, buncha fluid changes and while it was up on jackstands i decided to rotate the tires. On the very last loving lug nut the stud decided to strip out of the hub so now I have a spinning lug nut and cannot get the wheel off. I was ready to put it on the ground and call it a successful day god dammit, now I'm dealing with trying to break this thing loose on a day I was planning on doing nothing :argh:

Yay cars.

Just leave it where it is. I'll come down and get it and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Larrymer posted:

As others have said... you are never ready. But knowing you're not ready puts you ahead of a huge percentage of the population.

Best wishes on a successful outcome, that's a level of stress that's tough in an already stressful situation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Just leave it where it is. I'll come down and get it and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Maybe you can make it just in time for the next hurricane! :toot:

Oh poo poo I was just thinking.....If the hub is stripped am I hosed? Oh god I hope just the splines on the stud stripped and not the hub.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 4, 2017

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

spog posted:

I think that is true for all new parents. Even if the little blighter is 400 weeks late, you still won't feel ready.

At 11 years old my daughter had her first day of secondary school today, and there never was a feeling ready and I don't think there ever will be, just a consistent flow of new stuff to deal with

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So gross out there today, this morning was the worst air quality we've had in town so far this fire season.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ExplodingSims posted:

Unfortunalty last year we had 43C AND 90%. gently caress. that. poo poo. gently caress that with a bargepole in every possible way. Last summer was indescribably awful in whole new ways - Phoenix heat with Florida humidity.

We've had average temps this winter but with a twist - while the overall average is about spot on, the nights have been colder but no real cold day times to bring the average up... but we've also had gently caress all rain and low humidity. Hopefulyl some rain coming otherwise this is goign to be one hell of a bad fire season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExplodingSims posted:

I call that "Every morning in June/July/August". Also known as every afternoon in October/November/Feb/March.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Unfortunalty last year we had 43C AND 90%. gently caress. that. poo poo. gently caress that with a bargepole in every possible way. Last summer was indescribably awful in whole new ways - Phoenix heat with Florida humidity.

That's loving horrific though. I've experienced the same temps with about 60%, that was bad enough.

• Locked thread