Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If anything, I think something like moe can and should be a force for good. Because its primary audience is considered to be men, and so many of its hallmarks are things that are traditionally considered very feminine, there can be an interesting collapse of gender roles that goes on there. But not if you decide you need a player-cipher male protagonist, and especially not if he goes around boning all the cute girls your story is actually about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

CxM is pretty boring but I like the dictionary function.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Alder posted:

CxM is pretty boring but I like the dictionary function.

This game is so weird. I was telling my friend how I had to go through the game and find all the death routes for a trophy and he was like, wait you can die? And then trying to explain the messed up plot...yeah this game is not good.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I'm still in the middle of the Yanagi route but I was liking the main plot of the game. I think it was better when Adonis was just a terrorist organisation though. And not the weird thing i can tell it's going to end up being.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fru Fru posted:

This game is so weird. I was telling my friend how I had to go through the game and find all the death routes for a trophy and he was like, wait you can die? And then trying to explain the messed up plot...yeah this game is not good.

I feel quite regretful as I started falling asleep during the 1st route and Takeru is a terrible anime BF. We'd be good friends IRL but that's b/c we're both misanthropic IT hermits. Regardless, I thought the CV and art looked nice but I have no idea where the plot is going at all. Typically I never clear bad endings since they're all dumb and you just die which wasted all my time...

Not to mention, CxM got high reviews on the otoge sites I follow too :ghost:

BAW might be the sleeper hit but who knows.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

So what's the deal with SubaHibi? Is it... good? A very cursory glance leads me to believe that it's nothing special, but I've been wrong with more reason to be before.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

John Lee posted:

So what's the deal with SubaHibi? Is it... good? A very cursory glance leads me to believe that it's nothing special, but I've been wrong with more reason to be before.

Well, the thread title is All-Ages VN...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Muv-Luv Alternative comes out today on Steam, apparently. Might be for backers only for now, with September as the full release for everyone else. I don't remember if anyone in this thread actually bothered with the first game (beyond those who had already played it years ago) but for the two that did, there you go.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Nate RFB posted:

Muv-Luv Alternative comes out today on Steam, apparently. Might be for backers only for now, with September as the full release for everyone else. I don't remember if anyone in this thread actually bothered with the first game (beyond those who had already played it years ago) but for the two that did, there you go.

I assume the Vita version is coming before the proposed heat death of the sun?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

My Japanese is really awful/rusty but at this point I'm very tempted to try to bone up on it and try to find Higurashi Ch. 6 and go through it line by line.

Please, MangaGamer, please.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When Ch. 6 comes out, no one will be left alive.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

food court bailiff posted:

My Japanese is really awful/rusty but at this point I'm very tempted to try to bone up on it and try to find Higurashi Ch. 6 and go through it line by line.

Please, MangaGamer, please.
I have no idea how hard it would be to find at this stage, but English versions of Chapters 6-8 already exist since MangaGamer released the whole series outside of Steam back in 2010. Main problems were that the translation for Ch. 1-4 was horrendous (more or less passable for 5-8 though), they changed some of the music/sound effects for the worse, and of course you could only go with the original ugly sprites. An array of fan patches were created to mitigate a lot of these problems but it's still kind of a hodgepodge.

MG has been pretty consistent about releasing one chapter in the Fall and one chapter in the Spring, so I imagine at this stage they're more or less content to dole them out at that rate regardless of the current TL status (which was supposed to be almost done for the whole lot months ago).

Irritated Goat posted:

I assume the Vita version is coming before the proposed heat death of the sun?
"Now that the major goal of the Kickstarter has been completed, we can now resume PS Vita development of the trilogy. We apologize again for the severe delays, and like we said before, we'll fully commit to them and will get most of the items in our checklist done before the year ends."

Your guess is as good as mine.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 23, 2017

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Nate RFB posted:

Yup, I'm the one in this thread who bothered with the first game. It was a slog, but I did it. Now that Alternative is releasing I can actually play the good one.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nate RFB posted:

I have no idea how hard it would be to find at this stage, but English versions of Chapters 6-8 already exist since MangaGamer released the whole series outside of Steam back in 2010. Main problems were that the translation for Ch. 1-4 was horrendous (more or less passable for 5-8 though), they changed some of the music/sound effects for the worse, and of course you could only go with the original ugly sprites. An array of fan patches were created to mitigate a lot of these problems but it's still kind of a hodgepodge.

MG has been pretty consistent about releasing one chapter in the Fall and one chapter in the Spring, so I imagine at this stage they're more or less content to dole them out at that rate regardless of the current TL status (which was supposed to be almost done for the whole lot months ago).

This is the frustrating thing, to me. I can understand wanting to space the releases out for a while but jeez, once I'm hooked it only takes me a day or three to burn through a chapter and I really don't want to wait over a year for the rest.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

This is the frustrating thing, to me. I can understand wanting to space the releases out for a while but jeez, once I'm hooked it only takes me a day or three to burn through a chapter and I really don't want to wait over a year for the rest.

It's not so much that they WANT to space out the releases, but MangaGamer is a pretty small company with some rather tight programming bottlenecks. They've got a whole lotta poo poo clogging the pipeline and Higurashi stuck in it.

I think initially they were planning on releasing all eight main game chapters in like 18-24 months, but they also seemed to have issues getting it retranslated in a timely manner. After those, they still have a whole bunch of extra chapters from the "Hou" version of the game to translate from scratch. This series ain't finishing for years to come.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 25, 2017

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's not so much that they WANT to space out the releases, but MangaGamer is a pretty small company with some rather tight programming bottlenecks. They've got a whole lotta poo poo clogging the pipeline and Higurashi stuck in it.

But chapters 6 through 8 had already finished translating and editing like 2 months ago. All that would be left is translation check, editing check, and QA. It shouldn't have taken this long to release at chapter 6.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

But chapters 6 through 8 had already finished translating and editing like 2 months ago. All that would be left is translation check, editing check, and QA. It shouldn't have taken this long to release at chapter 6.

Who knows :shrug:

No one here works for MG and I'm going give them the benefit of the doubt how they're doing their best w/limited resources.

Why not wait until the entire VN is complete to read it? There's a tons of VNs I want to read but my lack of JPN skill means I'd struggle w/TL every single sentence so I've just read summaries. I'm learning JPN as a hobby to read novels but lol.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I think initially they were planning on releasing all eight main game chapters in like 18-24 months, but they also seemed to have issues getting it retranslated in a timely manner. After those, they still have a whole bunch of extra chapters from the "Hou" version of the game to translate from scratch. This series ain't finishing for years to come.
Personally I would say that people should consider the series over after 8, outside of maybe Saikoroshi none of the extra content adds much of anything to the overall story. MG is welcome to release more of Hou afterwards but I'll probably have checked out by then.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MegaZeroX posted:

Which is where the programming bottleneck comes in. They've ported each chapter into a new engine and apparently it's not as simple as just dropping the next chapter's scripts into the engine.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Which is where the programming bottleneck comes in. They've ported each chapter into a new engine and apparently it's not as simple as just dropping the next chapter's scripts into the engine.

Huh, OK. You would think that whatever engine they created would make it relatively easy.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

e: misread

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Finally getting around to Root double since it's been sitting in my library for well over a year now. Finished the Good ending for route A and am working on getting the normal and all the bad before moving on but the story has definitely caught my interest.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm rereading Umineko and it's a really different experience once you know the actual truth behind it. The new script reads quite a lot better as well.

Also I forgot how hosed up episode 2 is wow.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm rereading Umineko and it's a really different experience once you know the actual truth behind it. The new script reads quite a lot better as well.

Also I forgot how hosed up episode 2 is wow.

It's almost time. Happy Halloween for Maria!

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I just finished up Root Double and I’m looking for recommendations on what visual novel to play next. I’ll name a few that I’m considering, then list the ones I’ve finished along with the vote I gave them on VNDB to give you an idea of the ones I liked. I own a Vita and a GPD Win, so Steam/PC only-releases are OK. Thanks!

At the moment, I’m considering: House in Fata Morgana, Chaos;Head, Ever 17, Clannad, Utawarerumono 1 & 2; Dangan Ronpa 3 (still a few weeks away...)

Finished VNs:

Steins;Gate -- 10
Phoenix Wright 1 – 10
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors – 9.5
Ace Attorney Investigations II – 9
Phoenix Wright 3 – 9
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future -- 9
Zero Time Dilemma – 8.5 (Not in the VNDB for some reason…)
Phoenix Wright 2 – 8
Steins; Gate 0 – 8
Phoenix Wright 6 -- 8
Phoenix Wright 5 – 8
P. Layton & The Curious Village -- 8
Corpse Party – 8
Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward – 7 (Great game ruined by incomprehensible ending, otherwise I would have rated it higher.)
Dangan Ronpa 1 – 7
Ace Attorney Investigations I – 7
G-senjou no Maou – 7
Root Double – 7
P. Layton & The Diabolical Box -- 7
P. Layton & The Last Spectre -- 7
Phoenix Wright 4 – 6
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright – 6
Dangan Ronpa 2 – 6

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

fata morgana

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

umineko seems down your alley

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fata Morgana, Higurashi, Umineko. CLANNAD is alright if you want that type of game but I'd just watch the anime instead as it is paced better.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fata Morgana sounds good to me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

dont play chaos head it's really loving bad

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
everyone tells me Fata Morgana is really good, so you should probably play that

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Gonna go with Fata Morgana. Thanks everyone!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
If you use VNDB, look at https://vnstat.net/

It'll do recommendations and other useless stats. If you want to see your stats, search your vndb username.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Irritated Goat posted:

If you use VNDB, look at https://vnstat.net/

It'll do recommendations and other useless stats. If you want to see your stats, search your vndb username.

Its the first I've heard of this! Thanks! Apparently my top tag is Death of Heroine? I don't know how that happened.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Thank you vnstat for telling me I should play the 07th Expansion and Type-Moon games I either haven't gotten around to yet or have no plans on playing.

It's still a pretty neat site.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I have been playing Fata Morgana and all I want to say is when I was in the fourth door and I saw in the backlog that people were talking there but not in the main game itself for the first time it really freaked me out for real, like what the gently caress I got jumpscared by the backlog

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i never ended up seeing that which one the one hand is kinda unfortunate but on the other i had even less idea of what was coming next

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

IceBorg posted:

I have been playing Fata Morgana and all I want to say is when I was in the fourth door and I saw in the backlog that people were talking there but not in the main game itself for the first time it really freaked me out for real, like what the gently caress I got jumpscared by the backlog
I think I saw the same thing in Door 4 myself and was all :stare: for a second. Can't quite remember if it happened again or how frequently it does in general but it was cool.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Just found out the Fata Morgana devs are making an rpg :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Nate RFB posted:

I think I saw the same thing in Door 4 myself and was all :stare: for a second. Can't quite remember if it happened again or how frequently it does in general but it was cool.

The first time I noticed was in a scene when the screen was gliching out and I kept hearing weird noises of like flesh being eaten or something and when I went to the backlog because I missed a part of text I just saw huge text in red out of nowhere, and then everytime the screen gliched text appeared in the backlog so I guess that's the hint to go check the backlog.